Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4

This is some seriously impressive tech, god drat.

I won't pretend I fully understand how it works though so is there any possibility it might eventually be possible to force it in drivers and make it work for any game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
What's going to happen with the stocks of suddenly hopelessly overpriced 2080s everywhere?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I have an i5-8600K, is it going to limit the 3080 substantially? My target is mostly 4k60 or 1440p144 (but mostly the former).

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ijyt posted:

Looking forward to buying a cheap 3080 when the 4000 series launches and there are maybe 1-2 games finally out that need it.

In a year or two there will be games the 3080 will struggle to run at 4k60. Especially with RT enabled.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

ijyt posted:

Yeah but 4K is a dumb resolution to play at, 3440x1440 for me.

They don't make TVs with this resolution for some reason :v:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
3080 official unboxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf1OWiTNY60

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

AirRaid posted:

I don’t really care how much faster than a 2080Ti it is, because I don’t have a 2080Ti. I have a 1070 (non Ti), so it’s going to completely trounce what I have now, therefore making the upgrade worth it no matter the comparison to the stupid money cards from last gen.

Cancelbot posted:

:hmmyes:

Same boat, non-ti 1070, this is going to poo poo all over what I have.

1070Ti here but yeah, what you said.

I have never followed a GPU launch before, is it common they are this hotly anticipated and expected to sell out immediately? Or is this time special simply because how much of and upgrade the 30xx seem to be?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't care all that much for Cyberpunk but I've got a pretty large backlog of games I want to play on my TV(chief among them FF16) that my 1070ti just can't do at 4k60.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well there's no argument that the more Hz the better but I think for the forseeable future I'll be content with 4k60 on an OLED TV. Perhaps in a 5 years 4k144 is going to be a reality, who knows.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Josh Lyman posted:

All of you gaming at 4K, what size monitor do you have? 27” is way too small DPI for desktop use and 32” basically means you can’t go dual monitor.

55'' OLED and gaming from the couch like a civilized person :smug:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Ordered the MSI Gaming X Trio 3080 from a local retailer, should be arriving next week on the 25th. Looks like it's the best of the AIB bunch so far.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Why is everybody so hung up on the FE anyway? From what the reviews I've read over the past two days said it's actually the worst of all of them? Lowest performance, highest temperatures and fan noise despite the 'revolutionary' design.

Is it because they are slightly cheaper?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Well mine is a 520W bronze rated Seasonic so I am in the market for a new one :)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

exquisite tea posted:

While we're wishing and hoping here I'd like to get the MSI Gaming X Trio, seems like the best of the bunch this time around.

I preordered it from a local retailer. Originally it said it was supposed to arrive on the 25th but today it changed to the 30th :negative:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
One interesting thing he also mentioned in the video was that at 8k the assets made for 4k and lower just don't hold up.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

axeil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgs-VbqsuKo

The 3090 review from GN is hilarious. Love that he keeps getting offered money and then stops talking about its compute strengths and talks about 8k gaming instead.

This is the best tech review I have ever seen. Hilarious.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Seems like even the 3080 can't maintain locked 4k60 in FFXV. I guess the game is not all that well optimized.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
January does seem pretty realistic at this point.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
2021? I thought until end of October, at worst

:negative:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

MikeC posted:

Wait to see if the miraculous shipments start arriving in late Oct like predicted. If it doesn't show up, start panicking. For now I would just take it as maxing marketing hype make sure they can dump the maximum number of cards above msrp when the Oct flood comes to head off AMD.

:pray:

I pray you are right.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
So are any older titles getting DLSS2 support at all? Seems a lot of 2016+ releases could really benefit from it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Is there anyone in this thread who managed to get any of the AIB 3080s in the EU?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Rollie Fingers posted:

The 3080 FE situation in the UK is tragic. There's one small drop every 3 or 4 weeks.

I do not believe my country's market got any 3080s whatsoever yet.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Raw performance's got nothing on DLSS.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

shrike82 posted:

Doesn’t help if the game doesn’t support it (Valhalla) or has a broken implementation (Watch Dogs)

Yeah that's a fair point. A major release like AC:V not supporting it really is not helping...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
When are websites allowed to publish benchmarks of the AMD cards?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

So the 3080 is superior overall still, gotcha.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
DLSS is the only way I'll be able to play at 4k60 for a couple of years with the 3080....unless it does not become widely supported in which case welp

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

DrDork posted:

One of my friends insists that he can "see a loss of detail" on Control with DLSS enabled, and therefore doesn't use DLSS at all, anywhere, ever.

Personally, I think he's crazy to be willing to give up that much FPS in exchange for "I think I can sorta maybe see a difference," and I certainly can't see anything different (and I'm not about to go doing 4k zoomed in still vs still frame comparison).

Wasn't Control one of the titles where DLSS produces better than native picture?

shrike82 posted:

the fact that we still have to use Control as the go to example for DLSS doesn’t strike me as the feature gaining traction

You are right. And it makes me kind of worried.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

BurritoJustice posted:

That's a recommendation I didn't expect.

Thanks for telling me what I already knew, site!

Now if I only could actually get one...

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Theophany posted:

7970 was the last time they were top of the pile, probably around 2011?

I remember bulding a new PC around that time and having to go with the 7950 since Nvidia had nothing to match it.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

terrorist ambulance posted:

10x0 card's don't have the hardware for ray tracing

I'm getting 5-6 fps in Q2TX on a 1070Ti!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
It's been quarter of a year since release and it is still virtually impossible to get a 3080. Unbelievable.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Why can't I still buy a 3080 nearly 5 months after launch?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

CoolCab posted:

yeah demand radically outpaces supply so some places have set up a lottery. i feel like people were expecting it to get better by april and now that feels extremely unlikely.

If I can get a 3080 before Christmas I will consider myself lucky.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Vintersorg posted:

There's really nothing pressing right now since Cyberpunk turned out to be a dud.

I still have a lot of 2015-2020 games in my Steam backlog that I would love to play at 4k60 which my 1070ti just cannot do.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Craptacular! posted:

I have a 1070 and I primary Chrome every day and I don't have issues. Watch a ton of YouTube and similar media. Driver issues sometimes happen to some of the people and not every one of the people every time. The new driver gives me far fewer problems with HAGS enabled, as well.

1070 here too and the only driver issue I've ever had is the one introduced fairly recently where some textures flicker in WoW.

edit: do you think it will be possible to get a 3080 close to or at MSRP in 2021 at all?

because I am honestly starting to doubt

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Checking in after a month again, it is still impossible to buy a 3080 without discord bot shenanigans and the situation is not expected to improve any time soon, right?

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Thanks for the info, I'll check again in the summer I suppose :negative:

FilthyImp posted:

There's also Microcenter, if you're lucky enough to have one in town. The one in LA is hosed due to supercaming scalpers though and requires a 24 hour in-person overnight camp for a decent shot.

I live in a small European country :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Andrast posted:

i look forward to using my 1070 until like 2023

Yeah, same.

FuturePastNow posted:

I was planning to buy a nice 1440p/144 monitor to go with a new card but maybe I'll just get that and see how poorly my 1070 does with it first

Same but I already had a 1440/p 144hz monitor so I bought a 4k oled tv for some comfy couch gaming and all I needed was a 3080.

I had little idea what was to follow :negative: