Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Apple has already booked TSMC's entire 5nm production capacity. I thought AMD Zen 3 would be on that node, but I guess Apple displaced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

you're better off removing it and sealing the top, it's taking most of the cold air from the top front intake and exhausting it before the air has taken any heat from the cpu or gpu. here's a half-assed mspaint of airflow if i'm reading your fan layout correctly:

Could be that it's not much of an airflow issue, rather just that the 3080 creates 320W worth of heat, and the fans need to go at max rpm just to get that amount of generated heat away from the immediate vicinity of the card.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Xaris posted:

I was wondering why that was the case. I've been using uBlock Origin for like 10 years now and it works great (however I have been getting Twitch ads suddenly? gently caress they suck and i want them gone) and never saw a youtube ad but my TCL TV has ads on the youtube app so about 2-3 weeks ago I installed pihole on my NAS and re-routed the DNS through it, but I'm still getting youtube ads on it. i guess theres no other way around it is there?

:same:

Actually I might have figured it out just now by playing around with the filters. I had gstatic.com and jtvnw.net domain names allowed previously. After blocking those, I haven't seen any ads on twitch yet.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder how much people would be willing to pay for a 20gb version versus how much it is actually worth. I wouldn't be surprised to see nvidia sell them for >$100 plus because they anticipate huge demand. If I were buying one, then about $50 plus would be the max that I would consider spending for what I would get in return.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

DrDork posted:

It'll more realistically be +$200, minimum. GDDR6X isn't cheap; no one's sure exactly how expensive it is, but GDDR6@14Gbps was ~$11.50/GB from Micron the last time I saw a sales sheet. So $115 just for GDDR6, plus some premium above that for being 6X. +$200 would thus probably be close to selling it at-cost, once you add in the extra costs required for altered production lines, packaging, etc.

Which is basically to say that it's highly unlikely to be a price-wise purchase unless you like keeping your cards for 5+ years. And even then, throwing the $200 into the stock market for 5 years and using that to help fund a replacement would probably get you better performance anyhow.

:stonklol:

Yeah that just doesn't seem worth it to me. The only way I would spend $200 more for it would be if my use case frequently needs more than 10gb of vram. I think it would only be needed for a small fraction of games, or heavy video editing tasks.

It still might be a better value proposition than a 3090 though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nvidia's gpu drivers are broken on the latest linux kernel and it's pissing me off. I had to manually downgrade a bunch of packages, and now I'm waiting for a bug fix that has an eta of 1 month :argh:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Cyberpunk is a little different than other hyped up games, because we can actually see extended gameplay that isn't just tech demos or smoke and mirrors.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder how relevant AMD "smart access" memory will be in the future. Right now, they are saying it gives single digit performance gains, which isn't a lot, and it looks like only a handful of games utilize it (borderlands 3, gears 5, hitman 2, wolfenstein young blood, and forza horizon 4).

Not sure how much the wider bandwidth access of GPU VRAM by the CPU matters, but I guess it could help with 4K textures. Now, I could be wrong, but I don't see how this is relevant if machine learning super sampling takes over. With this technology, there wouldn't be a need to transfer 4K textures, as the high resolution details would be generated from source lower res textures.

As a result, I think developers may prioritize DLSS support over something like smart access, but who knows, maybe consoles will drive adoption since both the xbox and ps are built on amd hardware. I generally don't like vendor lock-in, even though amd is better about this than nvidia.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

That’s not how DLSS works, it doesn’t negate the need for high res textures at all.

Well I mean that it allows for rendering at lower resolutions, and machine learning uses neural networks to predict what the higher res render should look like based on the lower res without needing to actually use the 4K source render.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

repiv posted:

Yeah but Happy_Misanthrope is right, it doesn't change anything about the source textures required

To upscale e.g. 1440p to 4K with DLSS you have to render 1440p but bias the texture LODs so the samplers behave as if you were rendering at 4K

Sorry, I don't understand :saddowns:

Why would you need 4K textures if you're rendering at 1440p? Is it super sampling 4K? But then I don't think think there would be a big performance increase.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks Some Goon and repiv, I understand it now.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

shrike82 posted:

AC: Valhalla doesn't appear to scale well with GPUs

I am the 4.8 fps

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Palladium posted:

e-peen manbaby

:barf:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

No

If it needs protection against sagging it will be designed with it in mind

I wouldn't be surprised if should have protection against sagging, but doesn't in order to save on cost.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

You’ve got other issues tbh. That’s not vram, and certainly not 6gb vram problems.

Hardware acceleration in browsers can use a lot of vram

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Profanity posted:

Someone on Reddit crunched the numbers with a review roundup - on average, the 3080 ends up around 7.5% faster in raster than the 6800XT at 4K.

Did they do a comparison like this at 1440p?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

B-Mac posted:

The person that posted said they’d have a 1080p and 1440p soon but it wasn’t done quite yet.

Cool, thanks!

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Nvidia should really not be doing any of this in the first place. A lot of anti-consumer friendly practices start out by implementing a version of it for either safety or consumer protection reasons. Then, they start implementing bios locks on non-crypto-related software just to drive up the price for buying the exact same hardware.

I do not want this sort of thing standardized. It already happened with bootloader unlocked smartphones marketed as "developer" versions costing way more than the locked phones, under the guise that it is dangerous for consumers to be in complete control of their device.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

repiv posted:

intentionally tanking the performance of certain workloads for segmentation is nothing new, AMD and NV alike have been doing it forever

Doesn't AMD have open source drivers though?

It really sucks if the only two companies making GPUs have already been doing this.

This is coming from someone who doesn't mine, btw. I don't care if miners are screwed over, and it's a good thing for everyone else (including me), but I've just seen enough closed source BS to know that doing such things is bad for consumers in the long run.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
You guys are implying that it's irrational to dislike softlocking. It's not. You're buying a hardware product physically capable of x, y, and z. If the only reason that product doesn't do z is because you haven't paid additional money, then it's anti-consumer. No one's going to be upset if the product they bought is just not physically capable of something, like if a fan with a certain motor isn't able to spin at a certain rpm due to physics. However, it is fine to be upset if the only reason the fan is spinning slower is because there a counterweight attached to the fan that you need to buy a code to unlock.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
The main factor in bringing costs down for the consumer is competition. Just because a company makes more profit from businesses through softlocks, doesn't mean that they pass the profits on to the typical retail consumer out of the goodness of their hearts. They just pocket the excess profit for themselves, unless their competitors force them to lower prices. The reason that prices are the way they are, is that the business did a market analysis on what sale price would optimize their profit.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I wonder if it's possible to scam ebay by putting a brick of the correct weight in place of a card, and sent it to the buyer. Buyer opens the box, and submits a fraud claim to ebay saying that you sold them a brick. Then ebay contacts you, and you claim that the buyer got the card, and is scamming you. Wouldn't ebay have to pay you the cost of the sale? Or if they take the side of the buyer, then this scam works in reverse. You can buy any card on ebay, and just send a brick back to the buyer.

Anyway, be careful out there goons if you buy or sell cards to other people online.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

shrike82 posted:

a sane country/government/economic system would look at these supply chain issues and go "maybe we can create domestic jobs by catering to this demand for high-end manufacturing processes"

but :capitalism:

I read that Japan used to have government incentives for semiconductor foundries at one point. This was back when they used to make electronics for almost everyone in the world. I don't know why they stopped the incentives. Maybe it became so much cheaper to manufacture in China instead, that it no longer made sense for companies to not outsource manufacturing despite the incentives. I don't even think Japan has a semiconductor foundry anymore.

I hope new foundries pop up as a result... I don't think it has ever been this hard to buy a loving graphics card.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

You used to be able to just retreat into your hobbies and game away your troubles. But it seems the political problems of the US are now festering and invading every aspect of everyone's lives... We're going to regress into some kind of agrarian feudalist slave state before long because any productive aspect of the economy will be converted into dividend paying ATMs instead of something that actually adds measurable value to the world. The smartest people in the world are left coming up with high frequency trading algorithms and bots, bitcoin mining equipment and other things that do absolutely nothing except "make number go up". I wonder what kinds of progress we could've made as a modern society if the brilliant scientists and engineers of the USA were working on projects like space exploration, alternative energy or just traditional good and services vs financialization projects.

I had a tenured engineering professor at my university who quit teaching to become a hedge fund manager. He was making 100x his investment in profit easily, growing the fund from around 1mil to 100mil. All while spending orders of magnitude less effort than it requires to research or engineer complex hardware.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 23, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

lol they make it sound like he cares about game consoles when the real impetus for the government to get involved is that car companies can't get the chips they need

Yeah, lobbyists are causing this. Is it really just car companies though? I think it also might be other American corporations like Amazon, Google, Netflix, and really any other corporations with huge server farms.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Car companies have had to idle production because they couldn't get chips in time. Thats a much larger impact than anything from the cloud providers so far.

Ah I see. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they actually start an initiative to build semiconductor foundries. This could have the side effect of helping prevent future gpu shortages worldwide. But I don't think it'll happen. There's no short term benefit, and it's too costly in the middle of a pandemic-stunted economy.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

nvidia estimates 2-6% of sales were to miners, not a lot

I want to see their estimate for scalpers

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

bus hustler posted:

To say they're beeing hoovered up is probably not right,

https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/12/22/apple-takes-tsmcs-whole-3nm-production-capacity-for-mac-iphone-ipad

:thunk:

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
This is like when people starting running out of toilet paper to buy, except now it's GPUs.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

CoolCab posted:

still an igpu, but the best of that set iirc. in an otherwise properly configured machine you're looking at like 30ish FPS in RDR2 720p low, playable frame rates in tons of older or eSports titles. I've recommended it to quite a few people as a stopgap in these trying times.

RDR2 at 720p on ultralow settings? It's better to tell them to use Geforce Now unless their internet connection is horrible.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Hasturtium posted:

The most insane thing is that their website won't even let you slam down cash and reserve a card for pickup - they just indicate they have some number in stock and tell you to come into the store to get it. Like, what the gently caress, gang? The market's too hot for anybody to reserve something and fail to pick it up, so what's the reasoning?

I'm not sure either, but I'm guessing that it's just less work for them to not even use a reservation system and just say that it's first come, first serve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
Yeah, I think you're right. People who are there for a couple minutes to pick something up probably buy less stuff than people spending hours at the store.