Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Phone posted:

My tenure with AMD seems like it's coming to a close seeing how my HD7950 has been a colossal piece of poo poo and flashes artifacts from time to time. It must have overhead me on Monday saying that I was thinking about picking up an nVidia card to get away from the never-ending nightmare that are the Catalyst Driver Suite (now with AMD Gamezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz) because it decided to show off a bunch of cool rear end full screen artifacts that warranted a reboot even though I made sure to underclock it.

I take it that a 970 should work (dual monitors, 1920x1200 on high/ultraish settings), but the one thing I will miss is the Sapphire silent fans.... so who's a good nVidia reference card manufacturer?

Thanks!

It isn't a reference card but my Gigabyte windforce 970 is pretty drat quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Seamonster posted:

Waiting for IGP specific HBM

Has anyone announced that they're planning to put HBM on IGPs? That would be insanely awesome.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Truga posted:

Only because they both chose the wrong option and started doing it in the first place. :v:

e: I mean, don't get me wrong, it's totally better for us if games actually work, but I don't think nvidia/amd get any kind of cash directly from people whose work they have to fix for it to work.

APIs and drivers are so convoluted and have such poo poo error handling and inconsistent behavior that it's pretty much impossible to put out a fully compliant and working product, which leads to 'fixes' in the driver that makes the driver even more convoluted. That's one of the things that Mantle was an attempt to fix.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

If you have the room in your case the windforce runs extremely cool. I watched my temps playing Phantom Pain and it peaked at 60C.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I had no idea delidding was a thing. That's hardcore.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

What could go wrong.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

wargames posted:

we are going from 28nm to what 16 or 14?

16 I think but the difference is mostly marketing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Krailor posted:

drat, that really shows just how good of a card the 290/X is.

It's funny to think that a card released in 2013 will still be a good recommendation into 2016.

The utter lack of die shrinks is a hell of a thing.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I got a GTX 970 a couple months ago, and I hadn't had any trouble from it except this morning when I woke it up from sleep mode it had white screens with randomly spaced red and blue (I think) pixels, and they'd flash to black and back to the speckled white repeatedly. I've never had a failure like that and restarting the PC immediately fixed it. Does that sound like something I should be concerned about? (i5, windows 10)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks. With new hardware I'm always worried I got a lemon, but with GPUs the expectation of them never loving up is probably unrealistic.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

:catstare:

Meanwhile in Houston, the land of cheap as poo poo electricity, my last bill was $30. I had no idea that the rest of the world pays literally 10x as much for electricity:

How is such a price possible?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm shocked that none of these fantasy builds have an actually fast NVMe SSD.

Yeah. Of all the stuff to throw money I'd put that at the absolute top of the list.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

xthetenth posted:

How long has it been since single cores even came out?

On Intel it would be a Pentium 4 wouldn't it? Yikes.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Same. Once I saw him like rubber band a cooler to a $5000 processor on a cardboard box while using a $1000 GPU to keep it from falling over. But I like stuff he says otherwise lol

The worst part was he had the cpu holddown removed.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

They should just be a block connector. It would make things simpler 99% and more complicated the other 1%, which off the top of my head the only thing I can think of is adding a lock to your power switch.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I could sort of see the benefit in terms of cooling, but you'd never have enough pins would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

There is no cooling benefit, if anything cooling is worse as you have less room

I was thinking you could cool on both sides, but now that I think about it that's nonsense because the die's only on one side.