Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm thinking my 1070 just died. It lights up when I power up, but the fans don't spin and my monitor just goes right to power save mode (nothing shows on screen). Rest of my parts are less than a year old. Anything I should try before buying a new card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

ufarn posted:

Make sure you have sufficient power between your computer and the power outlet. Could be an extension that's bottlenecking your power. If you haven't already, try connecting the computer directly to a power outlet and see if anything changes.

No dice unfortunately. Any opinions on evga b stock cards? Is it a huge risk? Saw a 2070 on there for 389.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

If your CPU has an igpu just try plugging your monitor into the motherboard to see if it's a GPU problem or something else.

My mobo doesn't have that unfortunately...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gonna borrow my friends old 980 today and plug it in to make sure.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

Also be sure to try a different cable if possible. You never know...

DisplayPort cables go sideways if an errant electron within a mile gets pushed to an excited state whilst pointing at your DP cable. It's probably the cheapest point of failure to test so might as well? Also try different output ports on the back of the video card.

I don't have a displayport cable, or at least I can't find it. I've been using a dvi. I switched to a different cable, switched out the 8 pin and connected it to a different spot on my psu, tried using my friend's 980 and still no luck. Also tried connecting to a different monitor. Heres whats basically happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0DxA3CT3o

The dram light is on, but even if my ram was bad I should still see bios right? I put in each stick individually and still nothing

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread btw

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 1, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

DrDork posted:

Not always. Bad RAM can keep a system from even getting to the BIOS sometimes. That the card's fans are twitching a few times but never spinning up makes me think it's caught in a pre-BIOS boot loop.

I would take everything out except your CPU (including all the RAM), reset the CMOS, and turn it on--you won't get to BIOS, but you should get some angry beeping, assuming you have an internal speaker connected or built in to the motherboard. Then add back one stick of RAM and try both your and your friend's video card. Change the single stick of RAM if that doesn't work. You should hopefully get to the BIOS from there, and then add back in components one by one.

:(

Still nothing. Reset cmos both by picking up the battery and the 2 pins with screwdriver. Dram light was the only thing to light up still with only the cpu in. Board doesn't have speakers. Tried single ram sticks in various slots with both my card and my friend's. Does that mean its a problem with the mobo or both sticks?

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 2, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

K8.0 posted:

You need to do some real base-level troubleshooting. Disconnect everything from the motherboard and PSU except the CPU and one stick of ram, find a speaker to hook up to it, and see if it posts. If you can't do that, stick the ram in your friend's system - bad ram is not going to hurt a motherboard or anything.

Aight, I'll try to find a way to test the ram. I'm gonna stop for today though so I don't tear my hair out. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Heh, Nvidia posted a What Happened article about the launch https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-3080-qa/

Not too interesting, other than that they're supposedly implementing more security measures after what happened

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Almost Smart posted:

Did Amazon ever adjust the price of those ludicrously marked-up Zotac Trinity cards that mistakenly went up early? I still have a 3090 in my orders for $2400 drat dollars. As much as I want a new card, I'm not paying that kind of premium for one. I could probably find the same card from some scumbag scalper for less.

Using that Amazon add to cart link right now has a PNY show up that a scalper store named Raccoon Capitalist is selling for 5000 dollars lol. They have 3 of them in stock for that price

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

LOL poor EVGA. They're the only US card manufacturer saying they'll stock cards as they arrive and for their crime they are getting 404'd every time they put up a listing. And I'm part of the problem!

EVGA just tweeted that they're sold out for today already

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

gently caress, those EVGAs on newegg went fast.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I made it as far as seeing the add to cart button and clicking on it but they were out before the "go to checkout" page loaded :lol:

My paypal window thingy loaded too slow :(

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Holy gently caress I got one on Newegg

I'm not jealous I'm NOT jealous I'M NOT JEALOUS

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Lol

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Rolo posted:

So no EVGA XC3 today?

I’m worried about case space :goleft:

Same, I basically want either one of those or a FE

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

And there's the FTW gone up. Get it while you still can.

lol site dead

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

FTW=gently caress The Website?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It probably wouldn’t hurt to essentially make the site a single “add to cart” button and nothing else to minimize server strain.

On the hour, every hour, EVGA Jacob begins tweeting dead drop locations where a single 3080 might be found throughout the world

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nvidia, never to be outdone, begins tweeting only CLUES as to where FE's can be found, thus starting a world wide National Treasure type hunt

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

FE drop with a captcha, stuck on captcha.

Same

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

i think evga ip banned me from seeing the 3080 page :cb:

They announced that they weren't gonna have any today anyways

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Frekkie Melody posted:

Will the RTX 3080 fit inside my 4 year old computer case?

It looks the size of my arm. I currently have a GTX-970 installed. Will I see a performance increase?

You probably need to tell us what case you have

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I swear to god that I just saw the price of the 3080 change to 899 on Nvidia's site, when I refreshed it was gone. An ill omen?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

wtf, when did they ever come back in stock today

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

Currency: CAD ?

Oh, I guess thats possible. I hit refresh after seeing it pretty quick because it was an abomination to look at

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

AirRaid posted:

Upgrading a GPU direct from the previous gen is always a questionable decision, no matter what the marketing says. It's never quite enough of a performance jump to justify the price of admission. Upgrading every other gen just makes so much more sense.

What about upgrading my f5 keycap, does that make sense

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

lol things aren't going well for NVIDIA

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/izqaq2/nvidia_store_is_leaking_personal_informations/

Looks like they cached GETs through their new proxy (as they should have all along!) but they cached cookied GETs as well, leaking PII.

Yikes. This is what happens when you rush to prod.

:catstare:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Samadhi posted:

Any idea when Amazon will start selling the 3080?

:iiam:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gigabyte cards too lonk. Gotta wait for a more stubby card

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Shogunner posted:

drat i coulda got one on B&H but im still holding out for an EVGA or FE ugh

:same:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I feel like if you have that much disposable income to buy that many cards, you would probably not waste time trying to make money by buying and selling cards in the first place, but I dunno

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 30, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Where are the cards Nvidia. Where are they!

Jensen peeking at you through the window, waiting for you to go to sleep.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah, got stuck on Checking Out. Fuckin hell

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Dear god, some of these people in the discord ready to cut themselves over not getting a card

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Gabriel S. posted:

Are there any official updates for the next re-stock?

Supposedly there was a "leaked" excel sheet with Amazon expected stock dates on it that said a bunch of different cards were coming in from the 7th-10th but this was on reddit so... yknow... grain of salt and all

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Looks like news hit the discord that evga is implementing a queue system based on signing up for notifications.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It seems the most reasonable cards to get are the FE ones, good thing they're not bad. I really do like the fact that most of their heat is dumped straight out of the back of the case rather than recirculating.

Reasonable in terms of...?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Nfcknblvbl posted:

When the Nvidia site stocks their cards up, a lot of people proudly claim they got their order in.

Ah. I guess thats true, relative to the other websites. Still need to hit up the website within a couple minutes or so of the drop

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

There was just a bunch of gigabyte aoruses that were being sold on canadian ebay by newegg. It was up for what seemed like an eternity (like 5 minutes?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Who else is F5ing the best buy site with me??? I'm really just hoping that cards other than that gigabyte go up on BB.