Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
So I've been slowly collecting parts to rebuild my machine, and I have a couple GPU-related couple questions. I'm currently running a GTX 480, it works well still but I feel like I'm starting to notice its age.

How much of an upgrade would a 960 be?
How about a 970?
Are either of those cards physically larger then the 480? I'm roughly at the limits for my current case with the 480.
I don't really have 400+ to throw at a video card at the moment, so I'm not considering SLI (as of now) or a 980.

Mainly I'm curious if its worth holding on to my $200-350, and waiting for the next series iteration as I read NVIDIA is on a 2 year cycle with GPUs, but I really have no clue anymore as I haven't paid attention to the marketplace in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So the EVGA GTX 970 4GB FTW ACX 2.0 is currently $344.99 from NewEgg (with a $10 MIR).

I'm not big on OCing, at least I've never really fooled around with it. Is that factory OC anything special? Is it satisfactory enough to be worth that extra $40?

I like EVGA as I've had good experiences with my last 2-3 cards from them and a terrible experience with a GIGABYTE card a while back. Any reason to choose any specific manufacturers other then price?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 11, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The EVGA cooler is the worst of all of them, the recommended card is the MSI or ASUS one.

Okay, good to know. As mentioned though I don't have much interest in overclocking, so the EVGA card being 100mhz faster out the door is nice for ~$10 more. Could that small of an increase be done without modifying voltages and all that, or am I safer just getting the EVGA card if I don't want to mess with it?

Is the MSI fan that much better that I'd even notice?

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Subjunctive posted:

I got the MSI, opened the Afterburner utility, moved the sliders all the way to the right, and was done. No problems so far (couple months).

Inovius posted:

If you want to go EVGA Either get the new SSC or the FTW+ they have the new design coolers they put out. I picked up a FTW+ in January and have no complaints at all with it.

Yeah looking it up, it seems they pushed 2.0+ to more or less fix all the problems found in 2.0, unfortunately that warrants another $40-50. I also found some reviews of the MSI card and it seems like the best choice for sure because you can do everything straight out of afterburner; it has the most potential given it's power/cooling setup. It's even $329 from after MIR on Amazon right now. Thanks again guys.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 12, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

I just looked this all up as well, and apparently that ACX 2.0+ cooler is an improvement but this MSI card will give you the same performance for $20-40 less if you just up a couple values in MSI afterburner. The overall cooling/power design is just flat better as far as I can tell.

FWIW I'm basing that off this though, which is ~6 months old. The card settings don't seem at all different, just the available cooler for the EVGA cards.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 12, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One last question, I promise (no I don't): Are the 7-8gb versions of the 970/980 due to be out sometime in the next 30-60 days? If the price isn't extreme, is it worth waiting on those if I plan to keep it for a couple years and don't (currently) plan to SLI?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

8gb is only going to be worth it at 4k resolutions in future games, and any current card is going to struggle a bit running at 4k on those games anyway. I'd just get a 970 if I was running at 1080p, what resolution is your current setup?

1080p on a 27" Samsung with no real plans to upgrade any time soon as I randomly bought the monitor around New Years. Also wired to a 24" secondary monitor I run about half the time and a 50" TV if/when I'm watching something, but neither of those are relevant to the question really.

I figured it wouldn't be an issue but I was thinking more about 1.5-2 years from now as games start eating up more VRAM. If it's only like 30 days off and $40-60 I can easily wait, my 480 is still functioning fine.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
My 480 was just an EVGA base model so I basically got to choose between 85C under load or the soothing sounds of a high RPM RC helicopter running next to my desk because the fan needed to be 80%+ to put a dent in the heat.

The worst/best part was the fan profile was really awful, but I couldn't tell if that was intentional or not so people didn't bitch about noise in reviews since less people watch temps then have ears.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I was playing around in afterburner today, and I pushed my card to 1535mhz. A little bit later I had a DirectX crash in War Thunder, and then later (after a restart) I had a tiny amount of artifacting. Those normal signs of too much OC or might it be a deeper issue? I ask because this card is a replacement for a different MSI 970 (long story relating to me being a cheap bastard), and I didn't touch the drivers or settings at all when I swapped cards.

It's worth noting that when dropped back down to 1505 or so I haven't noticed a thing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, that's what happens when you overdo the OC a bit.

Alright that's what I figured, thanks.

Gwaihir posted:

War thunder crashes allll the loving time for me, OC or not. It did it stock or OCed, other games never see issues. I dunno that I'd use it as a good judge of whether your card is good or bad, personally.

I didn't think much of it but it immediately prompted me to a Gaijin.com page outlining that it wasn't a program/hardware crash, but a DirectX failure and gave me a list of things that might cause it. First time I've ever see that, and figured it wouldn't hurt asking. As soon as I dropped the clock some it's been smooth since, so I was pretty sure I already knew.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Truga posted:

Or just stop with the dumb rebranding bullshit.

Call it 285XT or some similar crap, why keep changing the whole number if the card is the same, just higher clocks?

It honestly seems like they are sitting on lots of inventory and they chose this route instead of new manufacturing mid-range, but need to make them seem like more then they are for the OEMs to be capable of offloading them on the "buy my computer at Best Buy or Costco" consumer. That partly explains why they also are using seemingly random, mediocre variants from the last 2-3 generations; the cards they have enough of to not warrant much new product. It's definitely an OEM thing too, in the footnotes of the page (OEM) follows the card names nearly every time they're mentioned.

If they do put the flagship card under the same 300 line as the 390X or whatever, I guess they assume people who care will know enough about the cards themselves to see the difference in quality.

I can't come to another reasonable conclusion other then that.

If that turns out to be the case, it's not really a bad plan at all; those cards are worth gently caress all as it stands, at least they'll get some revenue from them this way. The 970 just hoovered up the $300 GPU market anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 7, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
AFAIK the MSI still has the best cooler of the ones available, so yeah it's still a great pick unless you can find the ASUS or the EVGA ACX 2.0+ like $30 cheaper or something. I bought the same card a few months ago now and love it.

Also, I think there's several people in this thread who use that 2500K and it's still pretty common, especially if OCed, so you should be fine. I use the generation after that, the 3570k, with no issues I've found (that can't be blamed on the game and not the hardware).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I've sat through the last 2 driver releases for my 970 because I keep reading about these issues and I've always been wary about updating drivers when the ones I have seem to work perfectly. Every time something breaks it's just like "....god drat it."

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

necrobobsledder posted:

gently caress, I literally bought that same card two weeks ago for $340-ish off of Amazon and I really haven't had the time to actually use it, so I might as well have waited. I got the impression those codes would go away upon Witcher 3 release though and that drove me to buying then.

Did you actually buy the LE? It's a slightly different card then the regular 4G, and that's probably where the difference was.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Ugh, I absolutely do not have the money for that 980ti and I bought a 970 less then 2 months ago, but I want it :suicide:

I guess I'll sit on this for a couple months and see if it comes down ( & they bundle decent games with it or something). Or just stop being an idiot and wait to see whats out when this card isn't actually perfectly suitable for my needs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Does anyone know the dimensions of the 980ti, specifically that MSi one? I'll prob need a new case if it's even slightly longer then the 970 :(

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I swear my old GTX 480 could power itself with a closed loop water cooling system and a little steam turbine. The thing used to idle at like 68°C

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
MSi needs to get in on the step up game, about the only way I can afford a 980ti 6G unless someone would actually take a 970 for close to what I paid.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Quick question that's tangentially related to buying a 980ti and the OC thread was off the first page, I have a 3570k and want to OC it, should I just pick up a 212 EVO for $30 or is there a better option at a similar price? I don't have a ton of case room to work with by the 212 should fit to give you an idea.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

beejay posted:

You know it's ok to post in threads that are on page 2 right? Or 3 or 4...

Yeah that was entirely an excuse to post that in this thread since I check it often.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 3, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I was messing around in Afterburner today and noticed something strange (to me). In HardOCPs overclock of their MSi 970 it only took 140mhz on the clock to get to 1506, whereas I cannot get that kind of value without going significantly higher, like +170, even with added voltage. Now I'm not talking about throttling, at least I don't think so, because that's a different problem altogether (and happening to me as a seperate issue, pushing me down to like 1485 w/o added voltage), just that their clock output seems significantly different then mine even with all slider values exactly the same, and the core and boost clocks reading the same as per GPU-Z (Base Clock: 1254MHz / Boost Clock: 1393MHz). Memory clocks seem exactly the same.

At 1.25v I also don't hit near 108% TDP like they do, more like 90-102%.

What would cause that? Just differences in the specific cards?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Filthy Monkey posted:

They probably have the card set to 'OC Mode' in the gaming app, which increases the base clock. You probably have it in 'gaming mode'.
http://gaming.msi.com/article/msi-gaming-app-article

If you are overclocking in afterburner though, you don't need to use their gaming app.

Nah, it doesn't seem to be that. It doesn't really matter though, I can get to 1540mhz/8Ghz or so with no artifacts in heaven even if my slider settings don't match up perfectly, so I have to assume whatever it is, it's not really impacting pure performance in comparison to their tests. Sitll gotta try out some programs though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 8, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Goddammit I just went to Micro Center yesterday for a 970 :argh:

I live like 2 blocks from one and already own a 970, I'm going to be checking their stock (mine is out) every 15 goddamn minutes now.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

RocketSurgeon posted:

Back when the gtx 980 was released my buddy got one but had to update his mobo bios to get his system to boot up. Since I'm on an older motherboard(asus z68) im afraid that buying a 970 would get me the same kind of troubles. The last bios update for the board was way back in 2012.
Has anyone had similar issues using a 970 on older systems?

I had a gigabyte Z77 that needed a bios update when I got my 970, but it booted fine with the integrated graphics so it wasn't the end of the world, and worked fine immediately after. Mine had more to do with the UEFI change I think too. I wouldn't let that keep you from getting the GPU.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I tried to move mine for 270 and didn't get much interest (Chicago), but it really comes down to luck on CL.

Speaking of which, I should probably check if it's still active...

EDIT: vvvv MSi 970 Gaming 4G, the Twin Frozr one.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 24, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

thetechnoloser posted:

I just got this card a few weeks ago, so amazing.

Upgraded from a 560ti 448 SLI setup, and this one is not only way faster and feature-rich with 4x the VRAM, it's also dead silent.

Got it to 1500 core with a minor (+25) voltage bump. Holy smokes.

It's fantastic, I'm just an idiot and been modding Skyrim recently so I hit the VRAM limit pretty hard. In the end I'll prob just keep it since it runs great and I'll get tired of Skyrim soon enough.

Absolutely getting the MSi 980ti if I do make the leap though. Wish they had step-up, would've already pulled the trigger even with a 980 middle man.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm thinking somewhere in the $240-$270 range, that is 20%-30% off retail which seems fair for a used card.

I think the offer I got for mine was 240ish and it seemed low since I paid about 330 in Feb, I'll have to repost and check again as that MSG pack makes the 980ti come down enough to feel okay with it all.

I know I should probably just wait for Pascal but where's the fun in that.

EDIT: after checking, is MSI even in on the MSG package? If not, then that saves me some effort.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jul 24, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Honestly as long as they don't mandate the updates (I loving hate being forced into unneeded system changes, too many bad experiences) then I really don't see too much problem with this.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

beejay posted:

Yep, and you could do that before, you've been able to use GFE if you chose for quite a while. Now they are just taking away options and control. I'm asking what is the benefit of making the latest drivers GFE only rather than both.

I understand your point and what I said earlier wasn't an endorsement, I just have very little feeling either way on it. I'll just leave it at that though since I'm not going to poo poo up the thread more over my stance of indifference.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Out of curiosity, would Samsung ever buy AMD?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Josh Lyman posted:

What AMD stuff would they want?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Why buy them when they're arguably in one of the best positions to simply pick up their most valuable pieces for pennies on the dollars that AMD *pays* them to build poo poo for them?

That was kind of the point of the question, is there any value in Samsung buying AMD at some point, the CPU manufacturing base or IP, whatever.

To not drag this on I'll take the answer as no though.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

VostokProgram posted:

Does anyone know a nice 970 OC guide they could link me to?

Download MSi afterburner, push sliders forward and run Heaven. Look for artifacts and/or driver crashes. Rinse and repeat till you don't see any. The limits on the firmware of the card make it pretty hard to actually do anything risky beyond crashing the video driver without doing something excessive (for most people) liking flashing the BIOS.

Don't push the sliders all the way up, that's generally WAY higher then most cards will go. Start at like 1/10 and go up in increments. My MSi 970 has been at +180 Core and +500 Memory for months now, to give you some idea.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So if the 1080 reference card has some marketing magic done to raise the price $100, and with nothing else being available for awhile until the BPs get to it for aftermarket, does that mean the original sub $400 price is kinda just quietly going away? Or will we see it when they get around to the BP poo poo-tier blower cards?

Having been keeping up every page and getting a little confused.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Windows 10 is definitely spying on you, so instead you should choose something from one of these many other companies who respect your privacy:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
gently caress I don't really have money but I feel like I'm coming up on a rebuild and I'll be damned if it's not going to be a 1080ti paired with a 34" this time.

I wonder if my 3570k will be solid enough to just keep trucking along, I never bothered overclocking it yet because I'm lazy and stupid (and don't run into performance issues in 95% of the games I play that weren't throwing 16 gigs of Skyrim textures at VRAM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
From last page but I think I actually have an OCZ PSU at either 650 or 750W, it was pretty cheap at the time and had good ratings. Honestly it’s lasted through 3 video cards, including the furnace that was a GTX 480 I got real cheap, so I can’t complain.