Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I just picked up an MSI 760 GTX (upgrading from technically 2x Radeon 6870s in crossfire, but one's HSF failed so...) and I'm wondering about temps. With my case (with admittedly lovely airflow) closed, it maxes out at 81C. I know that's pretty warm, but is it full danger zone? Or can I live with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

They've been doing this for a really long time though, I remember using the step-up to trade in a 320MB 8800GTS for a "super super clocked" 512MB 8800GT for free.

The 8800 GT was an absurd card. Hilariously overpowered for it's market segment. Those were the days...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sauer kraut posted:

Why would you install the lovely software that comes with a harddrive/SSD, and most of the stuff that comes with mainboards and GPUs? That's just begging for trouble

Do you know what rapid does?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sauer kraut posted:

I looked it up and it said something about a Samsung Wizard turning 1Gig+ of your Ram into hibernating cache for a SSD.

Yeah. It boosts your read and write speeds to the Gigabyte/s range. poo poo's great.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dude even says he's not using rapid...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

highmodulus posted:

I have the MSI 4G Gaming 970 in my new rig, and just ignored MSI's disc in the box, and went directly to the NVidia site and downloaded their software and driver instead- am I missing anything by doing so?

The headache of dealing with outdated and possibly-customized drivers.

Basically nothing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer reference coolers in my wooden htpc case by...nmedia?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FaustianQ posted:

I never get why Apple kneecaps themselves so hard as a gaming platform.

Not part of their Vision™

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-terminal-hepta-semi-parallel

I was miffed when I found out my 2600k lacked the features to build such a monstrosity.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

We shall game eternal, quiet, and cool.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, when I moved from Crossfire 6870s to a single GTX 760, I noticed a few things:

Greater Stability
Less heat
Better air flow
Better driver features:
-Shadowplay
-DSR

Obviously some of this is down to case/cooler characteristics, but things like the drivers are really nice. What does nVidia have over AMD in regards to things like DSR and shadowplay, the sort of extras tied more to drivers and software than explicitly to the physical hardware and its muscle? I've got a freesync monitor, but not sure if I want to even really look at AMD after my experience with the 6870s, and the stark difference in stability with the 760.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I notice it pretty well on mine, but it's been awhile since I ran a 16:9 system at less than native. My current driver is a 21:9.

Do we have a smiley for first world problems?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

What's the definition of GPU?

A miserable little pile of circuits

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not to sound particularly paranoid or anything, but my 760 is idling at 48c and reaches 81c while playing World of Warships at decent settings. Should I be somewhat concerned/disappointed?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Don Lapre posted:

The MX440 was SUPER low end at the time. It was basically Nvidia using the Geforce 4 naming to gently caress over consumrs. It was lower end than the previous geforce 3.

That was my first one. As I recall, it was actually a GeForce 2 with some additional hardware. No shaders though, I remember not being able to play certain games because of it. Or an old shader model or something. The real GeForce 4 had them.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
~2003-2007: GeForce 440MX (Integrated at first, then an old external one someone tossed me)
2007-2009: Geforce 8800GT
2009-2010: Geforce 8800GT + 9800GT (Friend sold me his 9800GT for real cheap. Flashed my 8800GT into a 9800GT, used an unofficial patch for windows to enable SLI. poo poo was jaaaank, but worked)
2010-2012: ATI Radeon HD 5870m (ASUS G73jh replaced my desktop)
2012-2015: 2x AMD Radeon HD 6870 Crossfire (All dat bitcoin money)
2015-Present: Geforce GTX 760

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its a slot you plug into a computer that allows you to use a video card. No matter how complex it is or how much it costs, that is what it is :confused:. I'm not even saying its bad, a $500 pcie slot can be very useful :v:

A computer is just a box that lets you type poo poo out onto paper. It's a loving typewriter, why are people spending so much on them?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Think we'll see any wood screws this time around?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Here's the rub: Microsoft wants to move everyone and everything to UWP, and deprecate Win32.

In short, UWP is supposed to allow Microsoft to compile a program once and have it run on everything. But there are so many layers of abstraction, security, and state switching required, yes that's right, REQUIRED that when the entire point of PC gaming is to run as leanly as possible to squeeze every last drop out of your hardware, UWP's overhead is completely unacceptable.

Reposting a relevent video explaining UWP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJF-T8-qXUM&t=3128s

This is a good video

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

td4guy posted:

Nobody cares about your list of old GPUs. Just like nobody cares about your 3DMark scores. You can stop posting them. (please)

Blackfyre, did you try any of these solutions?

That's a lot of nobody

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

Speaking of vaporware announcements, whatever happened to that technology that involved putting any two random video cards from any manufacturer into your computer and it would work just like it was a proper SLI/Crossfire configuration?

It works fine, except micro stutter returns.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have never heard of Coil Whine until I came into this thread. Is it really that big an issue?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I had a double shot of espresso and was stuck on a toilet for a day. The hell are you people?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah. As you can tell, I'm not a coffee drinker so I'm rather ignorant. Thanks

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much energy is in a can of Monster, and can it power a 980ti?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HMS Boromir posted:

Apparently, a can of Monster contains about 200 kilocalories, or 836,800 joules. All sugar, I assume. I'm not sure exactly how much the 980 Ti draws but 400W seems like a good conservative number to make sure we're not overselling our can of Monster, which comes out to 35 minutes of high energy gaming.

So if I buy a case of Monster....

Hmm...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlayVus posted:

Game is also locked to 16:9. Which sucks. Ultrawide Master Race!

I wish more games supported it well

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just miss my 8800gt. When did video cards get so expensive?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Worked pretty hard for single player

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
GTXtreme
GTXtreme Rush
GTXtreme Hyper
GTXtreme Warp

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How's SLI 970 compare to a single 760?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So what is this "Vulkan" poo poo that was installed on my PC when I updated my drivers? Should I get rid of it or is it harmless?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Patched Dawn > Dusk > Dawn

Which patch are we talking about? :heysexy:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlayVus posted:

I can imagine how many people will be purchasing a PS4.5(Can also be called PS Neo). The user base is already 40,000,000+. I can't imagine there would be any more market for the 4.5 to grab hold of. You might see an influx of people second hand selling to GameStop, eBay, and Craigslist.

Also, the PS Neo isn't coming out until holiday season. So AMD probably doesn't have the manufacturing capacity for Polaris right now. Which might mean that when Polaris does release, the might be higher prices because of short supply.

The PS2 sold over 50m in NA alone, with more than 150m worldwide. The Xbox 360 sold more than 75m worldwide. The PS3 shipped 80m+.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Mine's in a corsair box case on it's side, on a different surface entirely

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
AMD had better integer performance. That's why they got it; their hardware was much better suited for bitcoin hashing.

My 6870s paid for themselves. And the rest of the computer. :toot:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

I saw somewhere else that they were doing some type of confidential press conference with reviewers/reporter types and also Elon Musk invited too. Could be possible.

But yeah, show me the cards and the prices and I'll pay attention.

GTX 1080 to Mars by 2018

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fozzy fosbourne posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/02/directx-12-amd-and-nvidia-gpus-finally-work-together-but-amd-still-has-the-lead/

Woah how the hell did I only just hear about this multi gpu split frame rendering in DX12? I'm guessing there are some serious drawbacks that won't allow me to use a 1080, 670, and my iGPU in one big split frame rendering party?

The return of microstuttering.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

Uh, he straight up said you can turn it back on. Presumably that's what the benchmarkers did.

You presume benchmarkers to be smart about their benchmarking?

You have more faith than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Given the fact that I'm listening to one source, this could easily be faulty information but...

AdoredTV put out a video examining the 1080 and 1070, and in relative terms it actually seems like these cards are performing about where you could have reasonably expected them? Which gives me hope that AMD will be competitive this time around, in the areas they decide to compete?

I just want to use the freesync in this monitor :negative: