Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uunW0vRMk_Y&t=871s

Apparently Asus has a billion dollars in unsold inventory and mass layoffs at various companies?

They should sell their stuff cheaper then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Shipon posted:

Yeah I think if there is going to be a shortage, it's going to be far more temporary and limited to maybe "you'll have trouble for the first few weeks". Especially if the rumor mills are more pointing to there being worries about nvidia having way too much fab time for the demand

There's still a off-chance for the 7th fleet and the PLA taking turns holding dick-swinging competitions around Taiwan and loving up the supply lines again.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

repiv posted:

the real 4080 is 1200, the 4070 they renamed to the 4080 at the last minute is 900

Gonna buy a mining card over this poo poo

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Hm, the used card market over here still seems to be driven by optimism and believe in some higher power.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Those new guns in Cyberpunk are ridiculous.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Great, gonna buy a 4080 and two jumbo Döner Kebaps with those great savings.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

shrike82 posted:

lol that you need a 4080 to hit 4K

With DLSS3

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Here in central Europe there seem to be plenty of cards available but they want upwards of 2200€ for a 4090 and 1400 for a 4080 and that's just silly.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Still seems like a lot.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

GruntyThrst posted:

I’m hoping enough people go for the 4070ti than 3080 prices drop another 100 bucks

Does that sound realistic? That price tag made me go back to browsing ebay.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

If you can find it at MSRP it's a great upgrade from a 1080, it'll run basically anything at 1440p60 even if you crank ray tracing. The 4080 kinda sucks for its price, and if you're going over $1k you might as well go up to the 4090 and not have to worry about graphics settings for another 5-10 years.

Lmao, I should really unbookmark this thread before I end up with a 4090.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

A German review I remember has the 6600 15-20% ahead of the 1080 even, which seems consistent with the TH chart.
That's quite a bit of more oomph at about 1/3 less Watts.

Cool chart. Kinda would have liked a DLSS 4k raytracing table though since that's more my use case and the 2070S is showing its age. Used 3080s here seem to go for 600+ and 4070Tis go down to 909€ so I don't feel like bothering with ebay is that clear of a value proposition.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Taima posted:

Oh really? I thought that was really clear- to a layman VR looks hard as poo poo to run. The Index which came out years ago at this point is 1440p per each eye at 120hz right?

Not saying that's the reality but surely this is a common inference. If the answer is that a 4090 doesn't enhance VR to any significant degree then good I can probably just go without.

Yeah, but most VR has to run on facebook phone cpus. VR could be the frontier for graphics, but there just isn't a market to make games like that.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Taima posted:

That's actually really interesting. Thank you guys for explaining to a layman like myself <3

Exactly. Alyx was what I was thinking of in particular because it looked pretty decent and if you're running that twice, essentially, at 120hz on each eye, that feels like it would start to add up.

Yeah, but Alyx had Valve near monopoly money behind it to not make it run like poo poo and also was a loss-leader (I assume) for their head sets. I can't really think of another game that isn't a flight simulator, but looks like a graphics hog.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Seems like a plan. Any opinions on Manli? I wasn't aware of them and they have the cheapest 4070Tis around here.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Arivia posted:

It’s a cybertank what more do you need to know

Is that a Spartan helmet on the fan in the cybertank?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So just to sanity check. I'm thinking of replacing my 2070 S in the next few months since I got a 4k screen and it's showing its age a bit. I have a Ryzen 7 3800X and a 750W PSU. If I don't want to replace either of those right now but want to trace a few rays once the Cyberpunk DLC drops a 4070Ti would make the most sense, I guess?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The bat deserves it imo

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Taima posted:

Hell yeah dude. That's great.

What are the best ray tracing titles right now? I have uh... Metro Exodus...? That's about it.

I guess it's still Control and Cyberpunk?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Since I'm still playing with the idea of buying a 4070ti or possibly a 4080 (the 4090 is a bit too decadent) in the nearish future: How much of a deal is the reduced memory bandwidth of the 4070? Obviously I'm not expecting to crunch 4k, ultra raytracing without turning on the DLSS2 style upscaler, but since I do have a 4k display, can I just look at that list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
and move one slot up for DLSS or is it more complicated?

genericnick fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jan 22, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

Memory bandwidth is just one component that dictates overall performance. The impact of the lower memory bandwidth of the 4070ti vs the 4080 is already captured in the lower framerate it produces, so buy based on the performance you want, not the paper specs of the card.

I believe the ray tracing section of the lists you posted are done without dlss/fsr, so those frame rates may be kind of a worst case scenario. I think their actual reviews include some results with dlss enabled though if you want a better idea of what framerates you might expect with upscaling.

Ah, must have scrolled over that when I looked:

Guess it's at the need to fiddle a bit level.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Any opinion on Zotac 4080s? Specifically the trinity model. I mean it's too late since I already got one as it was quite a bit cheaper than the other models I was looking at, but I'm happy enough. Seems quieter than my old 2070 S and with a bit of fiddling I can trace rays in 4k Cyberpunk.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

TorakFade posted:

I got myself a 4080 and a 4k 144hz monitor, and I can run CP2077 with raytracing on and every single setting literally maxed out, no DLSS and still hit 60-80fps on average and lows around 55. With DLSS, I get 100-120fps average, lows around 90-95. (That's with a Ryzen 5800x and 32gb 3200mhz DDR4 RAM, so while certainly very good, not a bleeding edge config)

Saying that a 4090 (and presumably, top of the line everything else too) is not enough to fully max games today is a bit preposterous. Also, DLSS at times looks even better than native so it's not really a big compromise if at all, at least in games where the devs spent a little time implementing it afaict.

Really? If I turn everything on at 4k, including psycho raytracing the benchmark gives me about 25 frames. Though obviously having to turn on DLSS isn't any kind of hardship.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

repiv posted:

the RTX 2060 doesn't support HDMI 2.1, you're not going to get 4K120 out of it. the displayports aren't fast enough for a converter to work either.

you need at least a 30 series card unfortunately

Ah, which reminds me: Am I reading that right that Displayport 1.4 stalls out at 4k 120 while HDMI could go to 144? Should probably get a new cable if so. Completely forgot to check when I got a new GPU.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Thanks, didn't even think about HDR.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

If that’s medium how bad is low?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is this some "Springtime for Hitler" situation or what is happening?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've had some issues with the hdmi connection on my new-ish 4080. Specifically, waking up from standby causes windows to shrink and accumulate at the top left of the screen. Also, rarely there is loss of signal for a second. This doesn't occur with Displayport, but that's only 1.4 so not great for 4k hdr. I already tried using the Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode and replacing the cable. Since the card only has one hdmi I can't exclude that it's a hardware issue but is there anything else I should try/look at?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

K8.0 posted:

What's the monitor? It sounds like the monitor is not telling the GPU it's present when it goes to sleep, and with no monitor connected the GPU is defaulting to dropping to some lower resolution when it wakes up without a monitor.

Also, are you on Win 11? The way it handles disconnected monitors is WAY better.

It's the Samsung odyssey neo g7. Seems like there is no newer firmware for the thing. But yeah, I'm still on 10. Might be time to try out 11.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Inept posted:

Is the cable specifically rated for 4k or better? trying two old HDMI 1.4 cables are going to have issues.

Yeah, I double checked. Both were rated for 8k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

the cores of wrath grew heavy on the die that day