Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Anti-Hero posted:

So about how much faster is a Titan X/980ti compared to a moderately overclocked 980? Are those extra shaders in the former going to guarantee the latter will never come close? I have a 980 sitting at around 1450 MHz boost and it really struggles at 1440p ultra settings Witcher 3 - frequently sub-40 fps. Is there a single card upgrade to this or is it SLI time?

Unless you absolutely need the top single card performance or can get a hell of a used sale price for a card that's taken a price cut and is still an expensive outlier, buying a higher tier card in the same generation is pretty inefficient. Especially next generation should be a real big gap. Maybe if you wait for a hybrid cooler and OC the tits off it you could get enough out of it to be your best option if you absolutely need more performance.

Honestly my recommendation is see if your 980 can fit the evga hybrid cooler and see if you'd be able to get a good bit more OC, otherwise wait for next generation. Upgrading is going to be pretty expensive unless you can sell that 980 well and OC a ti hard.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Yea, Pascal is likely to dominate, just hope AMD pulls through on Arctic Islands and Zen because this last round looks awful, it seems to basically be DX12 upgrades to existing stuff in the hopes that improves performance enough. Maybe they'll be pushing Tonga to not be poo poo? Maybe they're all binned really well?

I'm hoping for a hail mary crazy speculation that I saw that AMD is going to be respinning the 300 series on a better GloFo process than the current TSMC one and getting a pretty big reduction in leakage (like they saw with Carrizo). That's wishful thinking based on them having to buy GloFo wafers anyway and not having anything else to sell them in though.

I'm just praying because I'm pretty much certain that we won't see releases like the 970 or 980ti without AMD.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Wouldn't even bother with multi gpu with 4gb ram at this point.

It's been doing fine so far, the frametimes aren't any more hosed in Witcher or GTA V than normal dual card stuff. It's a bit of a gamble, but it's probably going to be manageable with settings even if games start needing more. Note that needing and using an amount of memory aren't the same thing. However, the problem is what cards are there to pair up with 4 GB? 980's at a really bad price/performance point, 970's going to start chugging when it really needs much more than 3.5 GB, and it's also similar to the 290X in that the 980 ti may give fewer frames but being a single card will make it as good if not a better experience. There was a time to pair those cards but it is pretty much over.

And I wouldn't pair up Furies with 4 GB, that is enough power they probably will run into a memory wall.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

They'd be drat fools not to position the Fiji against where the 980ti is. Near titan at 650 changes the price/performance they have to hit. Yeah, they just got gut punched, but we'll see what they come out with. (Incidentally, them still working on making the BIOS actually work isn't consistent with that performance estimate being relevant).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

LiquidRain posted:

The same reason Intel can produce a better CPU than AMD, and how AMD beat Intel back in the day. (and how ATI/AMD beat nVidia during the 9700/9500 series, and the HD 4000 series) Better research, betting on the right technologies, and focusing on efficiency over brute force.

Funnily enough, their main play this year in processors is all about the efficiency. I think part of it is that NV gutted the hell out of DP for maxwell to the point that by the standards of other Titan branding the Titan X is made of lies and bullshit and is just an overpriced gaming card with too much RAM, while AMD was trying to make a real serious effort into workstation stuff, so they've got a ton of transistors leaking and not doing much. Also, Maxwell is a really well designed architecture in terms of being able to scale well, while AMD's had to push clock speeds higher and give up a bit of efficiency. Honestly though, everything below the 970 is a hilarious mess where you can buy an anemic NV card or a powerful AMD card, and the AMD cards aren't getting much traction because apparently computers don't come with real power supplies these days. Also AMD hasn't been able to pull off a top to bottom refresh in ages, their three year old cards are doing fantastically all things considered.

Bleh Maestro posted:

It's coming with a water cooler and the 295x2 is like $600 right now I don't see how they can competitively price without eating a huge loss or at least greatly reduced margins than they had planned before 980ti was announced.

The 295X2 is two chips, another fan, a much bigger block and overall much more stuff. I don't doubt for a second that their margins are going to be a lot tighter than they were thinking before the 980ti dropped. I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of titan style market milking prices were true until it became clear they weren't going up against Titan because the milking time is over. Also there's got to be a binned part and that may very well come with nice aftermarket coolers and a very nice price tag.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm just dubious that they can really squeeze that much blood from a stone.

You rob banks because that's where the money is, and you similarly attack memory waste by targeting the portions that consume the largest amount of memory first. While I don't have AMD's metrics, my gut tells me that big-rear end hi-res textures are what chomps up gigs and gigs of memory in high-end use-cases. You can't squeeze 50% memory improvement out of a store of bitmaps. Yeah, memory compression helps some, but the 980 Ti has that too. A 4GB card with compression is still going to lose to a 6GB card with compression every time.

Isn't the compression just during transmission to let them run a higher clocked narrower bus and still get effectively the same width as a wider bus not to save memory space?

quote:

His example was "our framebuffers are inefficient" and to me that seems like robbing where the money isn't. A common high-end use case, a single 4K frame is 8.3 megapixels, which at 24 bpp works out to 24.9 megabytes a pop. So let's say that we have 20 copies of that sitting around from our inefficient framebuffer manager, that's 500MB of memory. Let's assume that AMD assigns a crack team of neckbeards to it and manages to get it down to the perfect best-case scenario - 2 frames, one is rendering while the other one draws to screen. That's a 450MB reduction total, huge in relative terms but it's like a 11% improvement in absolute terms. And I don't think they can get it to perfect given the crap the GPU has to do in pre-Mantle frameworks. Maybe not even then. A 50% reduction in framebuffer is only a 250MB reduction, 6.1% total improvement.

So again, you rob banks because that's where the money is. And I think the places where there's money to be stolen in a GPU are Fort Knox in terms of difficulty.

I don't think they were robbing any banks before, so hopefully they manage to assemble small gains from all over the place into something big. Before they just kept adding chips to keep ratcheting up that bandwidth, so why go robbing banks when they've got an interest bearing fund giving them what they need.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The first Fiji PCBs were spotted on import invoices in November I think. The rumors were that Fiji would launch in January (I think), then another spotting on the import invoices, then another rumored launch in late Feb/early March. Then the launch got pushed back to Computex. I think that time segment is probably indicative of some hardware issues. Now that the launch is pushed back again and someone's demoing a Fiji with no BIOS - I think they're fighting software issues. In all fairness it does seem like it would be really hard to assess the performance of a card if you've got major BIOS issues. On the other hand it's also Not My Problem, I'll take a 980 Ti that works today, guaranteed, over a Fiji that costs 30% more that might beat it by 30% at some point down the road.

This seems really weird to me, considering they're apparently making an announcement on the 16th. Getting bitten over the course of an entire generation even one in five times seems way worse than waiting a few weeks. Between the drop dead certainty of Fiji bins at lower price points when binned top chips like the 980ti, 970, 7950 et al have been historically great values and how short a wait it is, I don't see the point in not waiting.

FaustianQ posted:

I'm still confused as to how Fiji can use up to 375W yet have less performance than the R9 295? Like, I know one is a Xfire card but holy poo poo it sounds like the comparison isn't even there, it's not even 6970-5970 comparison.

It's a water cooled card with huge potential OC headroom and a fixed design so it's at least partially pushing in on the historic turf of stuff like lightning and kingpin versions so a 6+8 wasn't necessarily going to cut it in all situations?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

If it's got a lot of OC room then I take it you've got a grain of salt for the performance rumors?

I personally have a feeling that AMD is going to take clockspeeds to where they need to be to get performance. I'm hoping the power is sane when they're through. I'm worried they're going to eat OC headroom, and push the stock up into diminishing returns land for power/performance.

FaustianQ posted:

I'm still holding out on the idea that AMD might start binning Fury cards so they can scale them downwards. Heck, if their claims are solid at all, a 3GB HBM card sounds workable, maybe even 2GB card. Scale speeds appropriately and maybe they don't need to compete with the 980 Ti, but maybe murder the 970.

So announce RX 300 series which have mild efficiency gains but is essentially the previous gen running on DX12. Drop Fury, then bin everything to make the RX 400 series. Drop the RX 500 series 2016?

I'm not sure there. I have a feeling they have a generation of stillbirths designed for 20nm they're still having to get out of the hole from. Fury chops could be interesting, but the memory situation may be trouble for them. I do have a feeling that a bin one rung below the water cooled premium pimp edition that was going to fill the gap between the 390X at 350 or less and the top one at 800 may very well be the price/performance pick of the high end. Or HBM is premature and we get what we've got till HBM2.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 295x2 is also a full 500W TDP part with a 744W peak, and it's a Crossfire-On-Board unit, so some games will run at half speed (of both Fiji and 295x2, roughly). If you're running at 1440p/4K, your game supports Crossfire, you have a case that can mount a big-rear end power supply, and you would never Crossfire your Fiji if you bought one - the 295x2 is the best value around. Stacking discounts you can actually get them around the $450 range. If you fit the use-case you would be stupid not to, you'll be buying at least a 980 Ti to replicate that kind of capability.

In theory that's Fiji Pro, vs the full-chip Fiji XT. Rumors are that it'll clock in around $100 less than the equivalent Fiji XT board. I guess it depends on just how cut-down a part it is. I'd personally hazard a guess at GTX980-like performance for $450, dropping to $400 in a couple months.

Yeah, you can get the 295x2 real cheap. I still wouldn't do it when compared to a 980ti because for example, unreal engine 4. Also even after CF really stepped up its game, frame times are still a lot less consistent, which is not good for how the game feels. If you want as much framerate for money as you can get and are willing to deal with headaches it's certainly viable, but it's not something I'd go for.

FaustianQ posted:

Competitive in performance but not efficiency, which also makes them not competitive in price due to the larger PSU. Maybe the R9 390s run cooler though and the comparison is more apt, maybe they can really undersell Nvidia.

The price difference between the 290X and the 970 has usually been able to cover the difference in PSU (and honestly, system power draw for a 290X system seems to be safely under 500W, and getting an actually good PSU under that number takes some doing (I will note that for upgrading OEM systems that can be a big deal though because OEM PSU picks are goddamn horrible trash).

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since it's still a GCN-based card I guess it actually seems kind of questionable that efficiency would improve that drastically.

The more I think about it the more I think Fiji will end up around 300W. The connectors could feed up to 375W so I was thinking 300-350W, but the argument that they'd leave some headroom in the connectors for overclocking does make sense. Maybe 275W at the absolute low end, but probably closer to 300.

It's likely to be the same version of GCN that Tonga was based on, and while the 285 was a resounding mediocrity, the full Tonga chips that were binned for Apple's use turned in considerably better performance. I wouldn't doubt 300W though, the rumored performance and all that makes me think they might be upping clocks to compensate, and I don't think even later GCN gets clock speed as cheaply as Maxwell does.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Throw away your goddamned OEM PSU. Just shut up and do it. I don't care whether your NVIDIA GPU draws 50-75W less than an AMD equivalent, there's just absolutely no basis for trusting that your OEM power supply can actually deliver more than 35-50% of its rating.

I bought a decent Rosewill Capstone 550W gold-rated PSU for $40 AR from Newegg, the sale ran for the entire month and didn't sell out. Ask yourself if you're enough of a gambler to risk your entire build to save $40.

I agree wholeheartedly. Throw those piles of poo poo away rather than buying a card that draws less power but costs much more for the performance. You can pay once for a decent PSU or pay every time for a more efficient GPU that performs worse as well as the cost of risking the whole build.

If you literally buy a R9 290 which can be had with minimal searching for 250 and, for example, a $50 evga 500 B which reviewed well when I checked for a friend, iirc you're getting nearly linear price/performance scaling over a GTX 960 at around 200 when you factor in the 290 having an aftermarket cooler that keeps the card from throttling like the reference does. Then the next time you make that choice you just buy the better card and save money, and you aren't putting your build at risk with a firecracker. If you're worried a ton about saving money by saving power, LED light bulbs can be had for two for $5, do that first.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Ive actulaly seen some hp's and dell with 80 plus units stock.

That's really awesome and I hope they keep doing that. The last experience I had with the things was said friend, who had a 650W supply rated to provide fewer (!) amps than the 500W supply I mentioned.

I think the latter are providing a decent amount of the market for cards like the 750ti, which has not needing a PCIe connector (and performing like it) as its main sales draw, and the 960, which is selling well for a price where I, a longtime habitual buyer of GTX x60 cards, wouldn't even give it the time of day.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Same - a gifted HP Z400 workstation had a 450W PSU that could be over-currented by an R9 280 and also was not compatible with standard ATX power supplies.

Yikes. I'm looking at benchmarks now and that 280 should be pulling a system draw of 300W, probably with an i7 because that's how review sites roll. At least tell me that thing had something a bit more hungry on the CPU side than a Haswell i7.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

Xeon W3565, so a 135W TDP. But not like 450W worth for sure. And I edited in - that was a unit with an 80Plus sticker.

Voluntary certifications mean nothing. Film at 11.

At least in the a la carte market they tend to get backed up by reviews and word of mouth. A 135W TDP shouldn't be causing a power draw jump of over 100W, that's just horrifying, especially when considered as a percent of a relatively small whole.

Titan X is definitely very good for very certain compute, but in general given the DP centric marketing of the original Titan brand, it feels like they found compute areas to match the card and talked them up to keep the premium nameplate.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Etrips posted:

How much of a difference is there between reference vs non-reference cards?

In most cases the cards are the same or broadly similar. You see some like the lightning, classified, kingpin and iirc G4 gaming that have a ton of power phases, sometimes binned chips and so on that are there for the crowd that has to have huge overclocks. They generally aren't that great on the price/performance scale.

The main thing reference and non reference means is what type of cooler the card has. Reference cards have to be compatible and play nice in all cases, including stuff like 4-way. That pretty much means those cards' heat has to go away from those cards. That means blowers with full shrouds. Those eject hot air out of the case, which is good. The problem is they use a single fan, smallish heatsinks and generally run hot and loud. The canonical example is the R9 290. That was hot and loud to the point that it had to throttle its clock to avoid overheating. Generally an aftermarket R9 290 performs like the reference 290X, it's higher priced cousin. Even with the best blower around the Titan X gets loud and relatively hot.

Aftermarket cards come with different coolers. The card makers come up with them to differentiate their products. Generally they're open coolers with two or three fans blowing into their heat sink. For example the Gigabyte windforce cooler like the one on my GTX 970 has three 100mm fans and makes the card over thirteen inches long. These heatsinks generally do a much better job keeping the card cool and quiet. However the heat doesn't leave the case on its own. Unless you know you have good airflow in your case, more than one or two cards and that type of cooler is going to minimize any advantage they hold and maybe worse.

Finally there's the cards set up for water cooling. Evga has its hydro copper cards designed to slot into a custom liquid cooling set, and the Zotac 980ti has an optional similar setup as well as beefy air on the card itself. These can be very cool and very quiet at once but you know you're in the demographic for custom loop cards already. The other is cards with an integrated liquid loop for the card itself. They're like similar CPU closed loop coolers in that they offer most of the upside of custom water and basically none of the work. The main candidates there are the R9 295, which generates something like twice the heat of a Titan and is cooler and quieter under heavy load and shows how well liquid can eat heat, and the evga 980 hybrid (comes in a kit that can fit a titan x too), which shows how much room it can open for a huge overclock. In one review it allowed a big enough overclock that compared to an overclocked reference model it just about paid for the $100 cooler.

Why the hell did I write that on a phone.

Also re: HBM, it should start getting real good in the long run, but we'll see if it paid of now like getting GDDR5 first did. Honestly where it should work miracles is APUs. Those things are painfully bandwidth starved.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'd be real surprised if the 300 series were a paper launch. It doesn't match well with straight rebrands. For that matter, if it's straight rebrands why the hell did they wait this long selling 200 series cards rather than printing off stickers and new boxes.

Thelonious Monk posted:

Would buying a gtx 980 (not ti) be a terrible idea now? I just want a blower design card and the blowers on gtx 970 seem to either suck (evga) or have no information online about them (Asus turbo gtx 970). Kind of want to keep it under 500 bucks.

I personally wouldn't. The 980 is a lot more expensive than the 970 and doesn't perform much better, while being not much less than. 980ti with much less performance. Best buy used to sell nvidia branded reference cooled 970s, might be worth a check. Otherwise might I ask why you want a blower, and will you be swayed by benchmarks showing aftermarket open coolers being much cooler and quieter? Is there a specific build reason for a blower like trying to fit things into a small case?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If you're cool spending that much more within the same generation for a card that likely won't let you hold out for another generation, go for it, but I doubt that 980ti will last that much longer. I'm worried probably more than is rational about the 970's longevity but I'm holding out for the HBM2 cards, at which point I'm going to flip my 970 when it should still have pretty good value. A 970 or a 290(X) are definitely the top price/performance buys of the generation, especially for people who got in pretty soon after the 970 hit.

Edit: Looks like a 390X has been spotted with a hybrid cooler. Very nice. If it behaves anything like Hawaii, better cooling should be handy to drop the wattage a bit and really lower the noise and temps, as well as get the heat out of the case.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

AMD is probably going to join up with an evil corporation in order to beat up Nvidia at some point.

Intel's inbuilt HD Graphics 4000 thing is pretty drat powerful. Maybe AMD's gpu's could come with a big Intel logo on them?

It takes an Iris pro part to really compete with an AMD APU. On the other hand that's a lot of catching up Intel has done.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

The early Broadwell-desktop benchmarks show it competing quite well against AMD's APUs, I think.

Yeah, all but one are Iris Pro iirc and that's a big part that performs well. I think that integrated graphics are starting to get to where they could really use higher bandwidth memory.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, Carrizo is a good looking part focusing on a market segment that should hopefully pay off pretty well. Really good and power efficient move playback is a neat feature for a low power laptop to have.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm skeptical, because the problems with $200-600 laptops have almost nothing to do with CPU and everything to do with everything else. Terrible screens, garbage hinges, keyboards, and trackpads. If AMD can really shave $200 off the cost of a CPU and let me have a Thinkpad with a 1080p IPS screen, 5ghz wifi, and decent keyboard for $600, they will be my heroes.

That's true enough. If they can manage to get the price down to where an fhd ips can happen, that would be a hell of a product for anyone who watches video. Honestly I just want viable products so AMD stays in it, and that doesn't require making everything on those machines better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, I really do want AMD to remain competitive. If they weren't refreshing their GPU lineup this month, I am sure nvidia would have been happy enough to milk the TitanX a bit longer, or to up the price on the 980ti. Competition is a good thing.

Given the specs, it is possible that the Fiji cards could end up slightly faster than a 980ti, provided that the drivers are as well optimized as nvidia's. In reality though, we know that probably won't be the case.

4k shaders is a lot. It could very well be big. And optimized drivers is an interesting subject. Compare 780ti vs 290X at launch and now. GCN aged a hell of a lot better than Kepler, and I think a good bit was the gains it got with the omega driver.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rastor posted:

Here are some pictures of what is believed to be a R9 390X (NOT Fiji) with a hybrid cooler:

http://videocardz.com/56096/powercolor-radeon-r9-390x-devil-pictured

Makes me hopeful that there will be hybrid Fiji bins readily available to be awesome as well as the tippy top model. MSI seems to have partnered with Corsair to deliver a hybrid solution, I think it's pretty safe to say that hybrid coolers are a thing now.

Also, re 2x8 PCIe on the Fury we've seen so far, Zotac's 980ti (with a 1355 MHz clock(!)), the EVGA Classified, Gigabyte G1 Gaming all have 2x8 PCIe connectors and the EVGA Kingpin has 2x8 and another 6 pin feeding it. So cards that draw 250W or so in gaming loads getting twin 8 pins is hardly unprecedented.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So apparently the 980ti Hybrid stays at 50 C on a sample that hit a 1484 MHz OC. Not bad at all.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Rumors had the 980Ti at $800.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Rumors also had it at $750 and $650, the later ended up being true so who knows what the prices will really end up being?

Though if that price line up ends up true it will be really hilarious in an absurdist way, I mean, AMD can't be that stupid, can they?

Prices are subject to serious change even at the last minute. I doubt AMD is that stupid, but I also wonder what would make them think those prices were viable even before the Ti came out.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Also, aren't the 200 series and before TSMC and the new(lol) 300 series GoFlo? Is it possible switching to a better fabricator means that much? I mean, it apparently did for Carrizo, which is how they got a rather massive efficiency improvement despite it being a modification of Kaveri.

This is what I hope based on good performance from that process, the chips getting different code names, the lengthy draw-down of 200 series inventory and above all the fact that AMD would have to eat the wafers if they didn't have a way of making them chips to sell. I have no idea if it is actually accurate, but it makes sense for them to do and it does jive with rumors (ha ha everything jives with rumors by this point).

Otherwise, welp, see ya guys next time round.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, the boards being the same is entirely expected. Heck, you've been able to use coolers between generations before because the board layout doesn't change.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I thought Nvidia put more effort into the 9800 GT? It's 55nm, not 65nm, had a much better BIOS and was binned better (IIRC). I dunno about the R9 280 though, there has to be some differences right?

9800 GT was basically the 8800 GT iirc. It's important to remember that the 8800 GT itself was the process shrink and didn't actually fit with any of the rest of that generation other than the 512 MB 8800 GTS, not to be confused with the 640 MB or 320 MB 8800 GTS. Basically they called the 9800 GT and GTS the 8800 GT and GTS 512 MB until they had the 9800 GTX ready, at which point they changed the names.

280 I think has a bit of a clock bump but is otherwise a 7970 iirc. Hell of a card, but it's getting a bit old. That's why the AMD cards have different levels of the GCN architecture.

Rebrands generally happen every once in a while though. On the other hand there's examples like the GTX 500 series, which was a reworked 400 series that did much better (especially in power/performance).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I really prefer having multiple names for the same GPU than the same name for different GPUs, though. As mentioned, there were 2 different GPUs that were named "8800GTS", some had a 320-bit bus and some had a 256-bit bus.

Yeah, that was ridiculous, also OEM rebranded parts are the literal spawn of the devil and should burn in hell with the DDR3 cards.

FaustianQ posted:

I really can't see how a rebrand without any improvement is worth an extra 150$. Like, does AMD not know this would come up in reviews?

That's why I'm thinking nobody's that stupid, even Pentium 4 and Bulldozer weren't so obviously a bad idea at their time.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Thelonious Monk posted:

Yah I'm looking at building a small form factor rig to replace my ps4. I'm still deciding whether I want to go as small as possible like a hadron air or a silverstone sg13, or to go with a larger case to allow better airflow so I can put an aftermarket card in it without frying everything inside the case. A blower seemed like a good compromise for performance vs size?

I think that's probably going to depend on your case pick. A blower might be best, but some of those cases have pretty good airflow, especially if upgraded with decent fans, and the case airflow and an aftermarket cooler will do a better job cooling the card and pulling the heat out of the case. The difference between a 970 and 980 would cover a lot of nice case and good fans with room for savings and next generation it will continue being a good case with good fans. If it has spare 120mm slots waiting for a nice cheaper hybrid cooler may be the best because they can get the heat right out if you set it as an exhaust (which works pretty well on a single card setup).

Subjunctive posted:

NVIDIA is starring in some B Kung fu movie, fighting AMD with one hand and eating a sandwich with the other.

Kung Fury is all Radeon :colbert:.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So if you want to see just how much power you can feed a 980 Ti, Galax is making one with what seems to be 8 pairs of VRMs doubled up, triple 8 pin connectors and a water block. No idea on the out of box OC but I wouldn't be surprised if it matched that Zotac in the 1300-1400 range.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 4, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

If you're going to have a hideously gaudy aftermarket cooler, might as well show your shame wide and far.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

No iGPU either lol

Goddamn. How do you not have an old card for backup or something.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Why you keep your old cards around for that purpose. Go ahead, unearth that 5770 you boxed away four years ago, blow the dust off it and see how it goes!

I wonder if my 8800GT or 4790K integrated would perform better.

Seamonster posted:

What the ever loving gently caress?! That had better come with a 360mm radiator.

It's got a block with hookups for custom loops, so whatever you get for your case. Be like the dude on another forum I saw building his loop with iirc a tractor radiator. My case has room for a 420mm rad, and serious water cooling cases can do even sillier things.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Reference 290(X) is a considerably less good card than aftermarket cooled ones. They're loud, run hot enough that they throttle, which makes them slower, and they're liable to have spent the time since release mining bitcoins.

Also, huh, turns out that powercolor "390X" was actually just the cooler they were showing off put on a literal 290X to show it off. Makes sense considering the NDA seems to be going strong still.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 4, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Riso posted:

You don't understand. The architecture was so much forward looking and efficient it is still able to bring nvidias newest chip to heel!

It's made Kepler look pretty bad in retrospect, but going up against a newer architecture that's also had its DP performance gutted to make room for more gaming is a tall hill to climb.

Actually, that's something interesting I just noticed. The talk is that Fiji only has 4 GB of memory. If it only has 4 GB, then what's the point of a nice high DP rate like Hawaii has?

FaustianQ posted:

Hope springs loving eternal, but :wtc: AMD you can't help but constantly stub toes and bump shins getting the RX 300 series out.

It's an OEM showing their new heat sink, just means that's not a 390X sighting. 12 days till we know whether to hope they can survive a year on console sales, laptops and any other semi-custom work they can find.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Possible reasons include the processes being new and the chips not being designed for them (yes, chips get designed for a certain process and respinning takes time and effort), processes being new and thus yields sucking, and a bunch of other things. I know the best GPU processes are on the high performance end of things but not necessarily the same as the best desktop/server ones and definitely not the best for low power. I'm not really sure there. Time to market, being ready for design are pretty important. GloFo went for a higher performing 28nm than TSMC, and TSMC got a ton of contracts because they had a working 28nm first. There's also the minor fact that foundries' names are getting progressively more bullshit, with adding FinFETs at the same transistor size getting called a new node and so on.

Process engineering is deep wizardry and I don't pretend to be anywhere near expert though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Been wondering if I should just buy a 980ti with a reference cooler or be patient until the 12th for a possible non-ref EVGA one. If I'm not interested in doing any overclocking on my graphic card are the reference cooler decent considering I got decent airflow and that noise isn't an issue?

Non-reference is cooler and quieter unless you've got a situation where your case has no airflow or you have multiple cards. If you're not overclocking, the noise should be perfectly bearable though.

Also the Gigabyte 980ti should be getting a BIOS update to let it shut its fans off at idle like the MSI and ASUS offerings.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'd wait a bit longer if you decide to go with the 970, which you'll be forced to do anyway since everyone's sold out of the 980Ti, and you practically need to poopsock at your PC to get in on restocks. It's entirely possible that the base model 970s might hit ~$279-289 with rebates when the 3xx series is officially launched - they're already hitting $300 occasionally. The 970 was designed to feed a 1440p screen wonderfully, so save for certain games which offer retarded texture options, running one on a single 1080p display is slightly overkill.

My advice is to go with the 970 and consider the $300+ you 'saved' as going towards your new system build, since you're probably going to at least consider a 1440p screen.

This is the traditional way to get the most out of a limited budget for a good reason. Generational upgrades are big. A 970 can hold its own easily against a 780ti. Pascal's getting a huge memory tech upgrade and a two node process shrink.

I do think the 290X solution is a solid idea especially now the witcher promo is done and especially if the 290X has bundled codes. Aftermarket 290s are probably the best performance for the price available, and the better coolers go a long way to make them actually reasonably cool and quiet. The power draw is still a bit high, but you'd pay a good chunk more to lower that and only that.

The 970's split memory is primarily a longevity concern for higher resolutions and larger texture sizes. Considering how Kepler performance has been left behind, the card may lose performance over time and develop some issues. Then again, there are a lot of 970s in circulation and the internet hate machine got NV to try and squeeze more performance out of Kepler.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

The Kepler issue was identified and patched by Nvidia in the last driver, it is business as usual on Kepler now. People report 25-50%+ performance gains with Kepler cards in the Witcher 3.

The Kepler issues in PCars and Witcher 3 did get fixed, the numbers I saw from people benching were a bit more conservative and I could've sworn the gains generally weren't enough to catch 780ti up to a 290X. Plus in general it seems like GCN cards are performing better in comparison to Keplers than when they launched. The 770 is losing to the 280X, for example. I don't think whatever happened with W3 is that big a deal, there's too many 970 owners out there to forget to optimize for it.

Sorry, pitchfork, right. "forget".

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

3440:1440 is a sweet as hell resolution and I'd cheerfully take a lower max frame rate for it because of how awesome it is for non-gaming tasks, even compared to 2x2560x1440. Although my work ultrawide is an LG with the super neat window management stuff, it's probably still great without it.

AMD cards in Witcher advice: Either turn off hairworks or go into your drivers and reduce the tesselation factor from 32x to 16x. The tesselation factor can be knocked down one notch without losing much image quality for a pretty big improvement in performance.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 5, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Michael Jackson posted:

thx, i am downloading witcher 3 now and i want smooth gameplay and also gfx. My friend bought a 980 but does not want to upgrade his 1920x1200 dell ultrasharp to at least 2560. it is kind of funny though.

With the way gaming monitors are improving in leaps and bounds, sticking with a 1920x1200 and using DSR/VSR where applicable (especially DSR, it handles non-integer multiple scaling poorly) , especially if you have a good IPS or *VA is a totally viable and sensible way to do things. I'm very happy I hopped on the 1440p Korean IPS thing, but it's as much if not more the latter part than the former for gaming, and 1200 deals with my Y height problem with 1080p for non-gaming tasks.

Parker Lewis posted:

I have a 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 for work and a 2560x1440 Benq BL2710PT for gaming and the ultrawide has made it really, really hard to go back to 16:9 for gaming.

The tradeoff is that 3440x1440 is noticeably harder to drive than 2560x1440 (I've been using a 970 and it struggles with games like GTA V/Witcher 3, will be using a 980 Ti soon) and 21:9 support is still hit or miss and I end up having to use Flawless Widescreen hacks for quite a few games (while games like Heroes of the Storm just don't support 21:9 at all).

But yeah, when it all comes together running a game at 3440x1440 60fps is kind of mind blowing and I think I'm probably going to end up just using the 3440x1440 for everything once I get my 980 Ti. And then start budgeting for a second 980 Ti and a 3440x1440 g-sync monitor..

Awesome. My 34UM95 lives at work, so I haven't gotten to try it for gaming. Glad to hear it's as cool as I'd hoped. Does it handle 16:9 aspects gracefully by just letterboxing them?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

The EVGA SC 980ti with the blower is on Amazon now at the correct price. I'm leary to get the blower one...am I right to feel that way or should I hold out for the ACX2 version? I'm using a Corsair Air 240 case right now.

If you're in a case where an ACX2 would do better are the better thermals and noise worth getting it a few days to a month later? This is entirely a personal preference thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Probably. A 2500K is begging for an OC if you start feeling a performance bottleneck, those things can fly at over 4GHz to the point a good OC makes them competitive with anything without a -E suffix. That thing is one of the best CPUs in recent memory and has plenty of legs yet.