Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

So I go to see what the prices are on a couple of 7970 Ghz Editions that I'm possibly interested in, and see that the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg. This Bitcoin/Litecoin nonsense needs to end.
If you're looking to buy 7970s, I'm selling both of mine(Sapphire reference models); I can't put them up for sale in SA-mart though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Straker posted:

not to be lovely to SourKraut (really he may as well just get a 280X though) but you can easily ebay those for $350-400 each if you have the slightest inclination :)
Yeah I've seen the eBay prices lately on them but would rather skip the fees they take.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

CactusWeasle posted:

What is the latest incarnation of the GTX 780? I looked up my local online retailer and they have 21 variations of the GTX 780 from €460- €700 (for the 780Ti). What's the best bang for the buck right now?

My last three card have been 6850 > 6870 > 7950 but it seems the racing sims I run love Nvidia cards.
Yeah I was looking at 780s after selling my 7970s and EVGA alone had like 10 variations of the GTX 780 :psyduck:. GTX 770 would probably be the best price:performance for nVidia with 4GB video ram since I'm assuming you run racing sims on multiple monitors like a lot of people I see on youtube. I opted for a GTX 780 Classified because it had a $150 discount and most likely going to get another since I personally prefer 120hz gaming (which itself was a hassle with AMD cards because I had to download multiple applications to get it working).

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Not wasted, because with V-Sync off I can still tell a clear difference between 30, 40, 50, and 60 FPS. The difference between 60 and 120 is like night and day as well, but from 120 to 144hz I can't pretend I can see much of a difference from there. In first person shooters or anything with fast motion, every bit does help.
Yeah In my opinion, a 120hz gaming monitor with lightboost is more beneficial than 144hz. After running the testufo.com benchmark, 120hz with lightboost forced on through a 3rd party program(Strobelight) is noticeably smoother when it comes to motion blur than 144hz on my monitor(XL2420TE).

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

movax posted:

Go for it, and if it turns into a twisted parody of [H] build threads, I'm OK with that too. We could use more threads than just the megathreads floating around. :science:
Man I used to find [H] as a respectable tech site, but then it started to take a turn a year or two ago with almost every thread in the GPU forum devolving into an nvidia v. AMD fanboy cesspool, and catering the news section to appeal to an anti-Apple/console circlejerk a la Tom's Hardware. It's one of the best sites to use as an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Now I just browse it to see their SoapBox forum go full retard like it's Free Republic Jr.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

GrizzlyCow posted:

Also, TechReport has some data on that R9 290X retailer vs test sample variance issue. It looks kind of bad for AMD.
Eh I thought GPU manufacturers did this for a while, like Ferrari does with putting soft tires(higher grip) on their review cars. When I was researching the 780 Classified, it seemed as if reviewers all got the first-run cards with Samsung memory and only a small batch of release-day owners before EVGA switched to Elpida memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Don't notebook GPUs usually inflate their VRAM numbers because they can be shared with your system RAM?