Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
I’m in the market for a gaming laptop, looking around the $1,000-1,300 USD price point. I’m weighing some laptops on the lower end of that price point that have a GeForce GTX 1660ti, against a few on the higher end that have RTX 2060. Assuming everything else is equal, is the 2060 worth an extra $300? I’ve heard mixed reviews.

$1,000 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1542059-REG/msi_gf65_thin_9sd_252_gf65_i7_9750h.html

vs. $1,300 option
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1543440-REG/lenovo_81y60004us_15_6_legion_5_gaming.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

I can tell you with certainty those Lenovo hinges have a very finite life to them.

Bummer, I’ve heard good things about Lenovo. Do you have experience with this model?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

This had me excited, then is saw its AMD. I want an Intel i7. What is your opinion of MSi?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

For laptop GeForce cards, where is the best value currently? The least powerful I’m willing to go is 1660Ti. Is the performance increase of the 2060 worth the extra cost? Or the 2070 compared to the 2060? Don’t think I’ll be forking out for anything with a 2080.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

This depends heavily on what games you're planning on playing and the rest of the system. I wouldn't waste a 2070 on a 60Hz screen, for example.

The 2060 is looking like a much better long-term card (as much as a laptop can be a "long term" gaming platform, anyhow) than the 1660Ti because the 2060 supports DLSS 2.0 and the 16xx series don't. A 2070 is about 20% faster than a 2060 in most cases, so you can use that to determine if the extra price is worth it.

Yes, all other things being equal, trying to get an idea of value. Thanks for the info on the cards. I think I’ll look at the 2060 as my baseline option. I want my laptop to be as “future ready” as possible.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Lockback posted:

To make it more complex there is 2070 & 2060 and 2070 & 2060 Max-Q, where MQ have reduced clock speeds for power savings. Which one is "better" depends on thermals and how often you'll be gaming without a power cord.

If you're going to be doing AAA gaming the 2060 is probably worth the extra cost over the 1660ti due to the DLSS, if not I don't think it is (unless a lot more Indie or lower-tier games get DLSS). So basically clear as mud.

It will always be plugged in, so the Max-Q versions don’t appeal to me. Leaning towards the 2060 after hearing from y’all. Seems to be a sweet spot, unless I find a killer deal on one with a 2070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Trying to wrap my head around the options. Tell me if this is right..

2070 - full power version, potential drawback is overheating. Full fat milk?
2070 Max-Q - power is limited to help with overheating. Skim milk?
2070 Super Max-Q - somewhere in between? 2% milk?