Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking for a rock-bottom GPU upgrade for my computer. I currently have a GeForce 8400 GS Rev. 2

I'm on Linux and I have never been happy with this card. Slow, crashy... Ugh.

What can I get for cheap that works as-good-as or better than this? This machine I will be upgrading does not have much headroom in the wattage area, so something with really low power consumption would be great. Price first though, I am not kidding about wanting something that is rock bottom.

Radeon HD 5450 looked interesting, but I'm not sure about how drivers work for that.

Any pointers as to how can I research this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RocketSurgeon posted:

This is probably a long shot but does anyone happen to have a HD 7950 rev.1 card around? As I understand the different manufacturers use the same layout for the rev.1 pcb?
I need the measurements like so:
In millimeters if possible

Isn't that connector a standard length? Or the screws? Or the VGA ports are a standard size? You can probably use proportions from a known quantity and calculate out exactly what you want.

e.g: If I know that EICP connector is 10 meters long, and it seems like it occupies half the card, then the card must be 20 meters. You can get very precise with ruler tools in photo editing programs.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A way to check if the computer boots is to check your router for a DHCP lease coming from your desktop computer. If there is one then it booted in fine, at least partway. This assuming that you have set up your machine get an IP automatically on boot.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even play games and you guys make me want to get one through your enthusiasm alone.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Agreed posted:

Anyone who thinks that AMD isn't facing a major existential crisis isn't "retarded" but they probably haven't been paying attention to what's going on behind the scenes with AMD.

Can you link to that information? I'd love some popcorn reading.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Geforce 8400 GS Rev. 2

Do I win?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
AMD is hosed. Unless they come up with something soon it will be curtains.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Please forgive this insane sounding question, but I must know.

What is the weight of a GTX 970?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tommychu posted:

3.7 pounds, though I'd assume that includes a box, manual, etc.
(google "-item- shipping weight", most online stores have this info on a page somewhere)

I know about the shipping weight trick.

I'd like to know the card itself...

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

How exact do you need to be? this would vary based on which 970 you were looking at, but if you went to the Asus/MSI/Gigabyte/whatever OEM site and looked at the specs for the card it would likely tell you.

It is just a curiosity question, so any weight I can get will do. Ideally within 100 grams of actual.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is beginning to sound like a "I need to know so I can put a shaved-down brick in a box and return it" question.

My antique card is light and still manages to be sagging. My new card may be heavy. The motherboard is old, abused and flimsy, I don't want to put it through more than it will already can barely take.

And I just realized that my old light card is sagging because there is a broken part where I'm supposed to screw it to the case. Rough previous owner I guess.

EDIT: Nope. The Phi weights 1200 grams. I know that from the datasheets.

Different computer, different insanity.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

MSI has the weight of their card at 814g.

Yup. Won't be trying to install that in my broken machine. Not even close to my passively cooled bus-power wonder.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So...

...that guy who was talking about buying a Xeon Phi co-proc (provided he's still reading the thread) might be interested in this: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1840144

Thanks. I got mine for 79.40$ on Amazon.com when it was still a thing. Insane deal.