Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lDDQD posted:

Counterpoint: nvidia's drivers are equally trash.
Source: I've actually owned cards from both companies.

It's been a while since I ran AMD graphics other than the integrated video on my netbook, but I generally have to say that over the years Nvidia has had much better drivers than AMD. When AMD acquired ATI one of my real hopes was that they would start putting out competent drivers, but that never really seemed to happen.

I will say that the Nvidia drivers this year have been a goddamn trash fire - after 362.00 they have released a string of garbage driver updates, both on Windows and Linux. I don't know if they diverted resources to get the 1070 and 1080 out the door, but I have never seen Nvidia put out so many bad drivers before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Djarum posted:

It is the "driver has crashed and recovered" nonsense. I have only ever gotten it with AMD cards, hardware independent. I think I have only gotten it once with a Nvidia card in a decade.

I hadn't seen it until this year and with the Nvidia drivers after 362.00. I'm still considering rolling back to that driver because even under the current driver (368.39) I am seeing issues. They have really released a bunch of dumpster fire drivers the last few months.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

You are blessed if that is the worst thing that's ever happened to you.

I don't know - Vista was pretty bad.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrLogan posted:

Or just buy an 8GB 480 for $200 and don't worry about the no free returns. The only reason to get a 1060 is if have a gsync monitor. Otherwise, the 480 is better performance/price.

There's more reasons than just a G-sync monitor - I went with a 1060 6GB in part because a number of the games in my Steam library have issues with AMD hardware, and also because the Linux support has generally worked better for me with Nvidia.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Kazinsal posted:

Nope!

First time in 12 years though that a large number of people will be doing builds with an AMD CPU and an Nvidia GPU though, so, that's something

That's actually how I built my last two computers, and I'm glad that Ryzen is dropping right as my current main desktop is getting too old so I can repeat the process.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

fishing with the fam posted:

I recently upgraded to a GTX 1070 and I'm running into some annoyingly inconsistent framerate issues. I installed the graphics card, installed the drivers, and did not notice any real performance difference. After completely wiping out all graphics drivers from my computer and reinstalling, that seemed to solve the issue. I was getting 60 FPS on Rise of the Tomb Raider on ultra, 90+ FPS on Overwatch on ultra, etc.

But then, after turning off and turning on my computer, Overwatch dropped down to ~30 FPS again. Turned my computer on and off again, and I was back at 90 FPS.

Now it seems drat near random which I get when I boot up my computer. If I boot up and I'm stuck at ~30 FPS, after 1 or 2 reboots I'm usually back up to around 90.

There isn't any rhyme or reason that I can divine as to what is happening, and I have absolutely no idea how to even begin diagnosing what the issue may be. I am assuming this is purely related to my GPU, but if not, I can take this to another thread.

Setup:
MSI GTX 1070
i5-4570
8 GB DDR3
Thermaltake 750W
Win 10 64 bit
3440X1440 @ 60 hz monitor

Have you tried setting the games in question to "Prefer Maximum Performance" in the Nvidia control panel? Inappropriate power throttling could conceivably cause issues like what you describe. I was getting issues with my GTX 660 with some of the Nvidia drivers last year, and had to tell it to prefer maximum performance all the time, not just for specific games. Haven't had any issues with my 1060 like that, though - it's been running like a champ with recent drivers.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I plan on being stuck at 1920x1080 for a while, so the 1060 6GB seemed like the most cost-effective option for me. I need to upgrade my CPU and mobo before any other serious upgrades, so had to decide where my money would be best spent. Upgrading monitors is well down the list of purchases at this point. Just over $200 for a GPU that should serve me well for a good chunk of time seemed reasonable.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

From what I've read Ryzen should be reasonably expected to do better in games than the testing so far has shown, so I'm hoping to see some microcode and/or other updates released to get a better sense of how the CPUs will perform. I do wonder if games that have been out for a couple years will get downstream patches to get their performance up to snuff, but am taking a wait and see attitude. In the meantime I'm just gradually overclocking my old Phenom II to help it keep up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Looks like some of Ryzen's performance woes were due to the Windows 10 scheduler misbehaving:

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-performance-negatively-affected-windows-10-scheduler-bug/

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alehkhs posted:

If I'm planning to be at 1080p for the foreseeable future (other than streaming movies to what will probably be a 4k tv), should I still look no further than the 1070 (at most)? Or should I move up to a 1080 at this point with the recent price drops?

Do I need to be talked off this ledge? :ohdear:

I went with the 1060 6GB for similar reasons, and I don't see upgrading beyond 60hz monitors for a long while - gotta focus on a new mobo, CPU, and RAM before that, and probably a bigger SSD. I've been mostly CPU-bound, and in games that aren't the 1060 has been tearing along just fine. The 1070 would give you a little more future-proofing, though, if nothing else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

he should be holding like only 4 cards since so many are re-releases

Nvidia has done the same sort of poo poo, rebranding a previous generation card to the newer numbering system. Looks like they quit doing it with the 900 series cards, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wasn't the 750Ti the last one to do this since it was baby Maxwell?

I remember a few friends thinking it would kick the crap out of a 760 that I won... Yea no. That 760 is a champ.

Sounds about right. Looks like they mostly played this game with the 600 and 700 series cards, looking at the history.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AEMINAL posted:

So, um, I've been having this super odd issue with my EVGA 1070 SC connected to my DVI monitor, its hard to explain so i shot a video of it happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxGj9Zhc4g

Has anyone encountered this before?

I blew out the input and cable ends and it seemed to help for a while, changing screen hz also seems to reset it. Could it just be a bad DVI cable? I only have one sadly.

edit: it comes and goes, sometimes it will go away for days.

I appreciate the Art of Noise background music. Are your drivers up to date? How old is the monitor?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dexo posted:

80 percent of the people who play this game are probably gonna romance one of those two characters as a male Ryder.

:confused:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Peanut3141 posted:

A refugee from the Mass Effect Andromeda thread. He's gone on his Pilgrimage looking for the animation quality. Makes sense to end up in a GPU thread.

This makes sense...

Obsurveyor posted:

Perhaps "Armor" and "Strix" are the names of two characters in Mass Effect: Andromeda. Or male Ryder is a straight up technophiliac, banging video cards off-duty.

But I like this explanation better. A literal GPU fetish would be amazing.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Really? I thought it helped a lot with particles and stuff ?

I think was somewhat true in the past, but hit the point of diminishing returns some time ago. From what I've read keeping a second card just for Physx with a 10xx card is close to futile. I was toying with the idea myself when I got my GTX 1060, but reading up on it made me table the idea.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If you're running a resolution higher than 1920x1080 then a 1060 is pretty much going to be underpowered. I have a 1060 with a factory overclock and it does great, but my monitor is just an old 24".

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

This is a function of your power supply, not your motherboard. You'd have to check the rails and stuff but you might be able to get away with an adapter.

Yeah, an adapter might be the best option short of replacing the PSU.

Also, you clearly need more LEDs in that case. The inside of a computer should look like a Shadowrun city block.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 8, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They really do. The 9800 Pro is the only piece of PC hardware I didn't want to sell because it was so fricking good for so long.
E- and my old 2500K.

And the drivers got better over time :v:

I had an ATI 9600 Pro AIW that I used for years - but I always hated the drivers. When AMD bought ATI I was really hoping that it would herald in better software for the cards, but as far as I can tell that never really happened. Been Nvidia on all my builds since then. Although last year Nvidia managed to burn a lot of the confidence I had in their drivers...

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Haha, I went from a 7850 to 750Ti a couple of years ago and the NVidia drivers were a mess. Driver has stopped responding crap on a clean install.
It was annoying, as everywhere you would see "AMD drivers suck" and that crap kept happening for a couple of months until they fixed it.

That was me last year. Not just in Windows, but comparable crap happening with the Linux drivers, too. I think I had more issues with drivers in 2016 than I had in the previous 15 goddamn years.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

The Scorpio is sounding wayyyy too good to be true. I want to hope that the same capabilities will make their way over to equally priced gaming desktops, but I'm suspicious if the Scorpio will deliver at all.

Feels nice to see things going pretty well for AMD in general right now, though. Hopefully Vega won't be a dumpster fire.

E:^^^ get the extra 3GB of VRAM, 3GB is way on the low side if you're doing a 4 generation upgrade cycle.

The 6GB version of the 1060 is slightly more powerful than the 3GB, in addition to having twice the memory.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Measly Twerp posted:

I'd rather not be running nVidia drivers anymore, they're pretty spectacularly poo poo on Linux (except for gaming, lol?). Also Wayland requires either Intel or AMD drivers and since I'm running Ryzen...

Last year there were some pretty terrible Nvidia drivers on both Windows and Linux, but I haven't had any problems in a while on either OS.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I can say that my personal experience is that both DOOM and Wolfenstein TNC play way better on my aging desktop than I'd expect. Running a GTX 1060 6GB card and easily maintaining 60FPS at 1920x1080 at High or better settings even on my 6 year-old CPU. I built this machine with longevity in mind but it's been holding up way better than I hoped for.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If for some reason any of you have kept eVGA GeForce 4 ACS cards from 2002: https://www.techpowerup.com/239713/evga-offers-usd-1-000-for-your-old-geforce4-acs-acs2-graphics-cards

Of course, if any of these were for sale on eBay, they sure as hell aren't now.

Goddamnit, I think the oldest Nvidia card I still have around is an FX 5200 PCI card in an old PIII server. Pretty sure it's eVGA. Other than that I think I have GT 9500 and a GTX 9800 from them around here somewhere.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

This made me think of the video cards I have lingering around, and I'm pretty sure I also have a GTX 460 from eVGA in a box here somewhere. Also have a GTX 660 somewhere, but that one is Zotac, I think.

It's me - I'm the GPU hoarder.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had an ATI 9600 Pro AIW that I totally intended to video capture with but screwed up installing the incredibly finicky drivers and never got around to fixing it. Was a great GPU for the time, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I picked up a 1060 6GB not too long after it came out for $259, and just checked the pricing on the card and the last time it was available it was selling for over $300. Newegg only has a few 1060 6GB cards in stock right now and they are priced in the $500 range. :stare:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

To be fair, those are Newegg Marketplace listings.

Wouldn't shock me if more than a few were shells and went directly into Newegg's coffers, though.

Out of idle curiousity I decided to see what Google Shopping would show, and found this listing for a 1.8TB 10k RPM 1060 6GB:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't think I'd want to rely on a 1060 3GB. I have a 1060 6GB and it handles 1920x1080 beautifully, and with GSYNC could probably do okay a bit higher, but the 6GB cards outperform the 3GB cards some aside from just having more memory. Trying to play titles like Fallout 4 with less than 4GB of VRAM is likely to be a frustrating experience, I suspect.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lol if you read D&D and not C-SPAM

LOL if you read D&D or C-SPAM.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'll just chime in and say I have seen more than one failed videocard literally burst into flames, and while it probably wouldn't have turned into a conflagration inside the case I put the fire out before I had a sense of how bad it could have gotten. This was in used videocards about 10 years ago, but still I felt compelled to mention it. I used to keep the scorched remains mounted on my office wall like trophies.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Don't think that would ever happen with modern failure containment design.

My guess is it was probably due to the tail-end of the capacitor plague, but I honestly didn't try to figure out the point of failure once I saw flames.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Is there a way to manage a GeForce card besides the lovely Geforce Experience? I remember there used to be a "control panel" but I can't find it anymore

I have avoided GeForce Experience like the plague. I manually adjust things in the Nvidia control panel on a game-by-game basis, although I swear that more recent driver versions have removed some of the options (like the option to use a single monitor instead of dual-displays).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have one 120mm fan in my case that has a blue LED, and it is largely muted behind an air intake grill. The power LED on the case died so it's actually kind of nice to have the gentle blue light on the front to let me know the computer is on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Did you completely remove the old drivers using DDU? If not, I'd suggest doing that, installing the most recent drivers for your card, and seeing if that fixes things. If it doesn't, remove with DDU, download drivers a release or two back, and try again.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, Apollo MVP3 is the same chipset that I and I think redeyes are both talking about. I appreciated that AMD made a 3DNow optimized Quake II executable, but anything good that CPU did was ruined by chipset drivers.

I feel like I could go to a kids computer camp, take out a flashlight, and tell dark stories about the VIA 4-in-1 package and subsequent registry fixes.

VIA chipsets and SIS integrated GPUs - the kids just don't how grimdark the past was.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had to pry a few staff members off of Mac OS 8.6 when we switched the whole office over to Mac OS 10.2. My hatred of Apple was stoked in those fires.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It just occurred to me that whenever I see Pascal in relation to GPUs my internal voice reads it as "passkull," whereas when I say Blaise Pascal I pronounce it in French, and it sounds like "pass-Cawl."

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, needs to be two cards. Last holiday season, I got the two 5700s and were going to flash them to XTs and put them into the stepbrothers' computers, but they screwed up on their last report cards (which this whole deal was contingent on), so I've been holding onto the machines still.

I also got myself a 5700XT, intending to put together a computer for myself for Doom Eternal, except even my 1060 could run that flawlessly at 21:9 1080p60+, and then The 'Rona kicked off and delivery times went to hell, aka June, so.... I have three cards either essentially or ACTUALLY NIB, and I'm contemplating getting rid of all three and replacing with two Nvidia cards for the kids and just riding out what I've got for the rest of the year.

Around here delivery times are pretty much fine. I'm putting together a new system finally and most of the components arrived today, two days after I ordered. Now I am just waiting on the hopefully-not-terrible case I ordered and the loving power supply, but they are supposed to be here Monday.

I'm going to use my existing 1060 6GB for now, but the GPU is going to be the next upgrade. Kind of shopping around right now to get a sense of the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I'm debating the timeline. I really need a new monitor and want to bump up to 2560x1440, which I know will push the 1060 a lot more. This old 24" is really due for an upgrade, though. It's going to be weird going back to my GPU being the bottleneck instead of the CPU - my old warhorse of a processor has been increasingly struggling the last couple years.