Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smelly cabin filter posted:

After watching this video it looks like the only way to do this would be to use the two dvi outputs to drive the monitors and a displayport to hdmi adapter for the projector? Is this possible or am I just getting it all wrong?

Pretty much any combination of ports will work. A single DP can drive multiple displays if they support DP 1.2 (tends to be finicky in terms of compatibility), and DVI - HDMI adapters are available as well (work on any DVI port, but no audio with most cards).

Not all DisplayPorts support HDMI output (but most do), so check that before you buy. Pretty much all modern cards come with three, four, or even five, outputs (typically 2x DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI), so you won't have much of a problem finding a card suitable to your needs.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like the newest beta driver does add a few FPS in real-world usage, indeed: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-337.50-driver-benchmarks,26473.html#xtor=RSS-100

Not a massive difference, but getting a few more frames out of my 780 Ti in BF4 seems nice.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 7, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Weirdly, the installer appears to be broken (at least for me). Tried installing through GFE and the exe off the website and they both appear to complete successfully but my graphics card is no longer detected by Windows. Maybe I'll just wait until they release the WHQL version :v:

No problem installing here (780 Ti)

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Big improvements to Sleeping Dogs in SLI - wonder how that translates to single card performance. My 780 ti has mostly been going towards BF4 and being able to max CS:GO and not have to worry about losing any frame advantage for competitive matches, but Sleeping Dogs is the other big game I love to play.

There's a single GPU at 2560x1600 graph further down the page, it suggest something around a 7 FPS increase.

quote:

Sleeping Dogs: Performance increased by 6.4% at 2560x1600 when using max settings.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What card did you get? Many people seem to be experiencing exactly this type of problem with the Gigabyte GV-N78TOC-3GD, if you've bought that one by chance.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-bad-batch-/11/

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

corinthian68 posted:

Unlikely to be a PSU issue then? Ah well, I think I'll return the card to Amazon first and see if the replacement they send works better. They're usually really good with returns and I think it'll be simpler to deal with them as a first step. Thanks a lot.

Your issue certainly is a pretty typical sign of a card defect. And with a 750 Watt PSU, you have more than enough power headroom for a 780 Ti. Heck, a second 780 Ti should pose no problem.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Guru3D offfers them for download: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/download_nvidia_geforce_337_81_beta_driver.html

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If I just buy a new card, probably a 760, and uninstall my drivers before installing the new card, is it probable that the issue will go away?

This type of video driver crash typically is a sign that the card in question has a hardware defect: A brand new graphics card without faults shouldn't give you any hassle. The "solution" to the driver crashing is either to underclock the card (and, thus, circumvent the issue) or to get a new one.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 26, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the factory overclocked cards running more extreme clock speeds tend to have a higher likelihood of having been manufactured with chips that can't handle the speed and, therefore, are potentially more prone to errors in their "out of the box" configuration. Of course, you're then free to RMA your new purchase to receive a unit that is working perfectly.

A modestly factory overclocked card is probably a safer purchase (I'm running a perfectly stable 6% factory overclocked Asus 780 Ti DirectCU II myself, for example).

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 27, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, the first 780 Ti I had bought was a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti WindForce 3X OC; a card many people have experienced problems with, including me (nVidia driver crashes in games as well as visible artifacts in 3DMark 11, but not in games). Thankfully, I was able to get it exchanged for the Asus.

But I think the general consensus on here is that, typically, Gigabyte cards are fine.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The problem, as described, really does sound like a card hardware defect: Unless we're thinking of different incidents, the Fermi specific driver problem (apparently present in the driver software for something like 6 months) did happen while browsing on the desktop mainly.

The time frame mentioned, as well as the nature of the problem, make this sound like a regular ol' chip that can't handle the workload to me. But feel free to correct me if you still think I'm wrong!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And like I said before, nVidia drivers are messy. I don't have insider information describing their compatibility or on-update configuration repopulation (nVidia profiles especially have changed a lot since SGSSAA became a popular tweak), but dragging stuff up from a year ago that no one thought to clear out is entirely within the realm of possibility, and if that had a hand in causing problems, it'd be really hard to ferret out.

That seems like a stretch to me, a hardware failure is really likely in this case. I'd be surprised if doing a crazy driver/Windows re-install ever fixed this problem (but going for a clean install is a reasonable troubleshooting step that should be done, considering software tends to be a complex beast).

Ignoarints posted:

There were tons of visual errors when it happened, it's a lot more obvious in Watch Dogs.

Sounds like you're in for a replacement.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 27, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

KingEup posted:

Are there any known problems with the Gigabyte 780ti ghz edition?

I think I got one that is very unstable. Random crashing. Once yesterday and several today.

If it's the GV-N78TOC-3GD, you're not the only one that has received a bad card: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/688127/gtx-780ti-artifacting-crashing-gygabyte-windforce-gv-n78toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/?offset=4

I've experienced the same problems as you are seeing with the Gigabyte (random driver crashes), got it replaced with a ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II (GTX780TI-DC2OC-3GD5) that works perfectly.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 30, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nVidia also has adaptive VSync, which is pretty aces.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

Are there any benefits to using adaptive V-Sync instead of just capping the framerate in Nvidia inspector/Radeon pro?

Capping the framerate does not eliminate tearing.

And while Radeon Pro does offer Dynamic V-sync Control, its development has also been halted. With nVidia, adaptive VSync is a regular driver feature not dependent on third-party efforts.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

As has been discussed, the new consoles have essentially 8GB of shared memory of which could hypothetically be mostly used as vram. So developers will have access to <8GB of vram -if they wanted-. I'm not going to try to give you solid numbers and dates of the future but as all these things go the numbers always get bigger, not smaller. How long do you plan keeping the card?

Both consoles only expose a smaller amount of memory (5 GB Xbone/5.5 GB PS4) to developers.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

Linux or loyalty.

Or adaptive VSync and quieter/cooler cards.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arzachel posted:

This is a fun one. Notebookcheck only mentions the 4GB version of the Maxwell 860m, so there's a chance that the 2GB part is actually a Kepler GTX760 underclocked to 800mhz. Good job Nvidia! :downsbravo:
Digging through some forums, it seems that the 4GB version should definitely be Maxwell so go with that if the price difference isn't very high.

I've bought a Gigabyte P34G v2 recently (a powerful portable laptop that contains a 4GB GTX 860m Maxwell): VRAM amount does not indicate whether the chip is a Kepler or Maxwell part, that is false information circulating some forums.

It seems, with the Y50, both the 2GB and 4GB version are Maxwell parts.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Again repeating my recommendation for the Gigabyte P34G v2/XMG C404 laptop - pretty powerful (Maxwell 860m) and very light, I'm super happy with it.

Of course, probably not the hefty gaming laptop beast you're looking for.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/08/05/no_second_windows_8_1_update/

There is no longer an official "Update 2", they're just going to push out updates as and when without fanfare

Article doesn't justify headline.

The August 12th update obviously is "Update 2", and we won't see any further "Update Tuesdays". Just some marketing misdirection.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

To be fair, Microsoft said this themselves:

"despite rumors and speculation, we are not planning to deliver a Windows 8.1 “Update 2.”"

That's the blog post referenced by the article.

Acting like this is some kind of "new approach" is ridiculous, when Microsoft have obviously abandoned the sinking Windows 8.1 ship for a Windows 9 marketing push next year. That's why we're not getting a full "Update 2" returning the start menu.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Factory Factory posted:

I'd argue that it's a move to a different software development model. MS may yet be ditching the 8 ship for 9's shores, but changing away from the Update nomenclature doesn't have anything to do with that, IMO.

It has everything to do with that, PR articles about supposed agile software development at Microsoft notwithstanding. They are clearly artificially holding back the start menu for a marketing push next year and not planning on delivering "smaller updates in a timely manner". This is just their marketing spin for "we're not making good on our promises we made earlier this year to Win 8 users".

r0ck0 posted:

what's miracast good for?

Pretty much nothing, as there are a million incompatibilities between devices of different manufacturers. And even when it works, it's still a pretty bad and laggy experience.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheQat posted:

Iris/Iris pro are pretty decent if your gaming needs aren't "play the latest AAA title" but you're still mostly right

I still consider Intel Iris to be "pretty bad". Laptop processor graphics also tend to suffer from thermal throttling in games.

Even a lower end dedicated graphics card will offer much better performance, and something like an nVidia 860m (Maxwell) is pretty cool but still allows for reasonably compact and light laptop builds.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Intel looks to be getting pretty close with the Iris stuff and the integrated high speed eSRAM. I believe next generation AMD APU's will also be putting some eSRAM on die and gain those benefits, we're probably reaching the point soon enough that it's not worth buying a video card for entry level 1080p.

I'm very sceptical. Regular Iris is terrible and Iris Pro is still pretty far from "game worthy" as well as not really suited for laptops (I don't think there are even any Iris Pro laptops on the market). Even the small form factor desktop Gigabyte BRIX Pro suffers severe thermal throttling issues when gaming.

veedubfreak posted:

I have an 8790M in this laptop and just using some regular windows based programs makes this sucker start cooking anything that's near the vent.

nVidia Optimus solves this problem pretty well - haven't had any experience with AMD Switchable Graphics, so far.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, Intel GMA was crap, pretty much. Not hard to improve on that. I expect processor graphics to remain okay for many users, but certainly not good enough for (serious) gamers in the foreseeable future.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 6, 2014

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HalloKitty posted:

I'm not saying it's the best choice, but only that it exists, as it was implied these laptops do not exist.

I stand corrected!

SourKraut posted:

The discrete 15" rMBP comes with Iris Pro also and switches to it dynamically when the discrete card isn't needed. It's a good setup for power saving/extending battery life.

Switchable graphics are pretty much standard, these days.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

this is like me with steam because I bought the half-life retail pack and found out I couldn't come back to it to play online

then ten years later I started playing computer games and

This is no one's fault but your own: You can redeem your Half Life key with Steam, Valve will even throw in all the add ons and some additional multiplayer titles/mods for free.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

While an interesting idea, I kinda struggle to think of an application for it.

That's true of quite a few Colorful cards.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

AMD are partnered with both Apple and Nintendo. Making gaming or consumer GPUs isn't nearly as lucrative as big contracts like that.

For Switch, Nintendo are partnered with nVidia. The Wii U is out of production.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's me. I'm ready to "Step Up"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Domestic Amuse posted:

Console graphics solutions are fairly custom-made, so aside from GDDR5/6 prices loving the living daylights out of console makers, I don't think crypto will impact them that much imho.

Unless someone figures out how to use consoles to mine

The argument is that cryptomining would affect the types of contracts Sony or Microsoft could negotiate. Not hard to assume AMD would rather bank on the product producing more revenue for them, if the market stays this absurd.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have one of the Xbone Elite Series 2 controllers and it was so worth it. The thing is a tank, all the buttons and sticks feel really nice, and the paddles kick rear end for some games where you want to hit face buttons while you're aiming. It was expensive, but considering I got 8 years out of my wired 360 controller, I'm good with paying 180 bucks for a piece of hardware that should last a decade.

In my experience, it's not actually built like a tank, it's the same shoddy quality as the regular controller just way heavier. Unless you like an overpriced controller that has way too much weight and breaks quickly, steer clear.

repiv posted:

You'd hope it would last a decade but the first gen Elite controllers were notoriously unreliable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gzj0f9SrBs

Hopefully the second gen holds up better...

I have bad news for you:

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-elite-controller-series-2-buyers-report-widespread-issues

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 8, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

Frankly that's still pretty useful for some people (like me). Though I'd have preferred 2x HDMI 2.1's on there.

At what appears to be a strict 2-slot cooler design, that's either gonna run silly hot/loud, or not be as powerful as some people are hoping. Presumably AIBs will do their usual work with it, though.

I don't get where the actual use is to you. DP alt mode is independent of VirtualLink.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BabelFish posted:

Same, looks like they downgraded my shipping though. At this point I'm not going to sweat it as long at it shows up.

How many days of raytracing are you losing?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Cat is judging your bad CPU choice.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like putting RT in WOW would be completely pointless. That game is ancient.

I assume it wasn't hard to implement, that's why Blizzard did it. There are comparison shots on the WoW site: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23494819/engineers-workshop-enabling-ray-traced-shadows-in-shadowlands

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, really tanks performance on my 2080 Super (but, then again, enabling ray tracing in any game will really tank FPS with that card)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The people still giving them money deserve this, I see nothing wrong with what Chris Roberts is doing.

Is that other weirdo that made a business out of criticizing Star Citizen and had his own failed game Kickstarter still around?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Goons acting like more RAM isn't necessary always reminds me of this forum being sure the obviously insufficient 3 GB of the 780 Ti were totally more than enough.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Whoa, that's amazing. And it just works magically with all the games I might play?

Absolutely not, games have to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rolo posted:

I had a similar problem with a b450 and 3700x. I had recently installed some Corsair vengeance 3200 that needed XMP to hit 3200. Tons of crashes. With the RAM being brand new I assumed it was that and exchanged it for a replacement of the same kind. More crashes so I changed to some G skill and it never happened again, even with XMP on.

This could be due to one set of RAM sticks being dual rank, while the other was single rank. Dual rank sticks stress the memory controller like two single rank sticks, which means maximum RAM speed is lower with 4 dual rank sticks. How many sticks did you have on your board?