Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to drop the hammer on an EVGA 980 and was curious as to whether or not it's worth it to order a back plate for the card as well.

No, I have no plans to water cool the card.
No. I will not be overclocking it (For awhile, at least)
No. It will not be setup with another in SLI for a couple of years.

The only reason I looked into them was because a few people on newegg reporting some pretty bad sagging in their cards. Not sure if EVGA, or whoever would, has addressed that issue or if it's something I even need to worry about.

I don't have back plates on my 560 Ti's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

^^^ Why a 980 right now?

I haven't paid attention to the GPU meta game in probably over a year. Why not?

Performs better than a 780 Ti while consuming less power (Subjective?)
It isn't breaking the bank like the 780 Ti was a year ago when I initially looked at upgrading.

Is there something new and game changing on the horizon?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the quick feedback.

I compromised when I bought my 560 Ti's because I didn't really have the money to go for any of the better 500 series cards, I guess part of me just wants the best I can get right now, which is unfortunately still limited by cash availability. I went for the 980 because it clocked better scores than the 970 and 780 Ti (Not to mention I don't want to have to also do a PSU upgrade later on if I ever SLI 780 ti's), the 980 Ti is about $100 out of my available range at the moment.

I'm also impatient, so waiting to see how Nvidia responds to the AMD conference is a no-go and.. I'm.. I'm an Nvidia fanboy.

I've been waiting to upgrade for almost 18 months now, ever since my wife found out she needed 6 grand worth of dental work and I had to unload all of my saved upgrade money into that fund to cover it. It just so happened that my job finally got around to fixing some past due travel vouchers and I had enough money for a GPU upgrade dumped into my account this past weekend.

Is it really worth it to slap a 970 in and use something like afterburner to bump the clocks 100-130mhz? What about the reported memory issues?

Now I'm hesitating.. you bastards.. :argh:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Is anyone else having an issue getting Shadowplay to activate?

Nvidia forums pointed to an uninstall/reinstall of the GF experience as a kind of bandaid but it did nothing for me.

When I try to activate it, the activation dialogue pops up and acts like it's working but then it just reverts back to the inactive control panel. Worked fine when I first installed the card, two driver updates and a GFE update later it won't turn on.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I had trouble when it was really very beta in that same manner. Reinstalling did work for me, and further patches stopped that from happening altogether until I installed Open Broadcaster which totally messed it up (red lines through everything). You have any streaming services other than Shadowplay?

I have OBS installed but due to me being a bit on the inept side of the house I never really figured out how to get it working properly so I never turn it on. Should I just uninstall? I saw that GeForce experience has some kind of streaming thing built in so I'm assuming I could connect it to Twitch if need be. Is that a good assumption?

urea posted:

Check that the NVIDIA Streamer Service is started in services.msc

I'll check this tonight after I rip OBS off of my rig.

oblomov posted:

Afterburner should work fine. Don't have to have MSI card with it.

Afterburner doesn't even register the voltage or core clocks of my 980. It worked fine when I was running SLI 560 Ti's for OC and fan profiles (and I loved that it auto-booted with windows) but with my 980 it gives me no values, just slider bars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm looking for a 980ti and I'm getting a little overwhelmed by all the different makes and models. So just to double-check:

The reference blower vs. custom fan designs: About the cooling performance but the custom fans are quieter?

SC / SC+ / FTW / OC / ROFL chips: Seems like mild OC's over the reference design, some sources say these chips "may" have higher OC potential but no guarantees. Is there any benefit to spending $20-50 more for these guys if I'm going to OC it myself anyway?

Backplate: Typically a ~$10 option, I don't have an acrylic side panel so is there any point?

I ended up going with reference for the included backplate and Nvidia warranty. Then again, I didn't spend the extra $100 on a ti model and just grabbed a stock 980 since that by itself us a massive improvement over my 560 Ti(s).

I even got BestBuy to pricematch Newegg on an EVGA card with a reference cooler on it.

Edit:

Ozz81 posted:

What version of Afterburner? Did you do a fresh wipe and reload of drivers when you upgraded cards? I've used Afterburner forever (going back to old SLI'd 465 cards a handful of years back) and it's worked for every Nvidia/AMD card I've owned so far. If you have to you can go the OCD driver clean route like I've done which is basically:

- Download new drivers
- Remove PhysX & existing drivers
- Reboot into Safe Mode, run CCleaner/Driver Sweeper, kill any leftover driver files
- Boot into Normal, turn off AV, install newest drivers

People give me poo poo for it but I've never had driver issues outside of an actual problematic driver released by the manufacturer/vendor.

At first I just reinstalled the drivers on top of the existing install as I've never gone the clean install route before.

When Arkham Knight gave me issues and began hard locking my computer I did a complete clean uninstall/reinstall of the drivers in safe mode, though I didn't use a driver sweeping service after the uninstall. I've got CCleaner but didn't know it had that functionality. Derp. I'll double check the Afterburner version when I get home, I'm sure it's out of date.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 1, 2015