Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hey, first time in this thread (I think) and been a while since I've thought about PC tech.
Anyway, I'm currently running a PC with a 2GB 7870 and i5 2500k - pretty good for the most part, but I've started to notice more and more in the most recent games that I'm not always hitting 60 at 1080p.
I'm not planning to upgrade straight away, but I probably will eventually, what would be a reasonable upgrade at this point, that should be able to max out most games at 1080/60? It seems like this benchmark is actually becoming quite difficult recently, would any upgrade right now make a noticeable difference for me? I wouldn't want to do Crossfire/SLI, and I also don't mind whether it's Nvidia or AMD.
I've been eyeing the 970, but is it worth it, or should I wait for something that's coming soon to release, or would there be a better choice at a reasonable price range?
Thanks!

PSU is 650W if that matters, I think that's more than I use in my current build anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

You won't be sad if you just buy a 970, it offers a good performance increase over your 7870. However, if you wait a few weeks, the AMD Fury is out; might be worth seeing what the benchmarks are like. It might help shift prices in the market. That said, if you're eyeing 970s, it might be a bit high in price.

As long as it's a decent quality PSU, that's OK. I hope you've overclocked that Sandy Bridge!

You know it! Cheers man, I'll keep an eye on other things but the 970 is in my crosshairs right now then.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I understand there's some weirdness about the 970's VRAM - the fact that the last 0.5gb is somehow seperate from the other 3.5gb.
Is this an actual issue?
I also have no real idea what settings require what amount of vram etc etc.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I wonder if you taped proven audio stones to your displayport would it look even better

http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina31.htm

Audiophiles, man. That's amazing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What's the best way to buy GPUs in the UK? Any specific sites I should use?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Has there ever been a card which could max out every single game that came out when it came out because I keep expecting that to happen and it obviously won't.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wait, you can have 0RPM? My GPU's fan is always spinning afaik.
sidenote: I'm a total noob

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Bleh Maestro posted:

Only some of the newer GPU's with custom coolers like ASUS Strix and MSI Gaming. What kind of card do you have?

A 7870, I think with Powercolor casing or something like that. Pretty sure the card would cook itself without that fan spinning, I also don't have watercooling though.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I don't plan on doing Crossfire or SLI, and this is something I never thought about, but it must be pretty loud right?

Still looks like 970 is the way to go for me, will probably buy one eventually, but I don't feel I need an immediate upgrade.
Hell, hopefully when I do really need an upgrade there'll be a better card on the market for me anyway.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

GPU Megathread - Somehow We Got Onto Cars

I know there must be loads of people who are into
1) PCs
2) cars
3) camera equipment
4) guitars
5) whatever the gently caress else
that cannot afford food because they keep doing sidegrades for maximum speed/efficiency/tone :rock:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The temperature in the UK is now around 20C where I am.
In games, my 7870 (not OC'd right now) seems to hover between 60-70C (with load at about 98%)
I've heard different opinions on this, and while I don't expect the card to necessarily get wrecked at this temp I'm sure it could be lower.
If it does somehow crap out I guess that's a reason for me to go get dat 970, but how hot is too hot?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Well good, I didn't think it was a problem because I haven't noticed any artefacting or crashes.
sidenote: opening a PC, even to blow condensed air at it, is still terrifying to me, luckily haven't had any issues with breaking stuff yet.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Default fan profile: benches 92c at no noise, hotter than I'd like
Default MSI Afterburner profile: benches 70c with distinct noise from my PC, but not overpowering my room fans. I'd say this one is a success.

Just in time for Fallout 4. :downsgun:

Wait does MSI provide different fan curves by default or something? I know you can customise them in-program.
E: nevermind.

I still should do some testing with my 7870 overclock to make sure it's not getting too hot (I know, I'll upgrade eventually probably maybe, but it's still going pretty good.)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SlayVus posted:

They have

here’s a sampling of what we’ve added to the latest version of the Creation Engine:

Tiled Deferred Lighting
Temporal Anti-Aliasing
Screen Space Reflections
Bokeh Depth of Fielding
Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
Height Fog
Motion Blur
Filmic Tonemapping
Custom Skin and Hair Shading
Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation
Volumetric Lighting
Gamma Correct Physically Based Shading

This new renderer allows us to add many more dynamic lights to every scene, and paint our surfaces with realistic materials. We want objects and characters in the world to feel tactile and grounded, and a big part of that is ensuring that these materials are distinct – that metal reflects light in a distinct manner from wood, for example.

This shot doesn't look real. I'm not even bashing the graphics in this game this shot really just doesn't look in-engine and it's weird.

7870 is the min required card for Fallout 4 so I should be good :toot: I can't expect it should be too taxing.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

SlayVus posted:

The only videos up are for consoles. PC has been time locked and you can't play it until 4am on the 10th. It uses Steam for drm.

This is the official trailer so I wouldn't be surprised if it was PC footage

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I've been thinking about getting a second 7870 for Crossfire but the more I research about it the more potential issues I'm finding, for example:
how the hell are you supposed to cool the top card if the fan is basically cut off by the other card
potential problems with microstuttering
not having enough PCI-e adapters in my PSU (which I think could be fixed relatively easily with some adapters anyway).

I dunno, I guess since it's such an old card at this point it wouldn't be a great idea anyway. Having a single, more powerful card seems like much less hassle.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Is GTX 1080 kind of a bad name? 1080p doesn't sound impressive now.
I guess people buying GPUs are generally not totally clueless and won't get confused by it but still.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

GTX-Rated
GTXXX-Rated is the Ti

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm still on an i5 2500k, slightly overclocked, not as far as it could go. Should I upgrade my CPU before getting a new card? (EDIT: 1070, most likely, if I bother getting something in this release anyway)
I guess that also means having to get a new motherboard.

Man, GPUs really are the most exciting part of a PC, new processors are no fun in comparison.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

HalloKitty posted:

Not picking on you, but I'm never quite sure why people ask this question.
Buy the new GPU, and if you don't get the performance gains you want; and you believe you're CPU bottlenecked, go ahead and upgrade the rest. Either way, it doesn't hurt to get the GPU you wanted.
Most games are primarily GPU-bound with an overclocked 2500K, but it can differ from game to game.

Nah I get the frustration lol, thanks.
I'm glad I at least picked a processor that holds up as well as it does after 4 years, I'll see how I feel once 1070 starts coming out etc.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I still have 1333Mhz RAM sticks (2x4GB), I've never really thought about RAM but I know this is a relatively low frequency.

Does it matter at all?
I mean I guess the obvious answer is that if it's never been a problem for me it's fine, but I'm not missing out on any significant performance increases or anything, am I?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

ufarn posted:

I imagine it's going to be *that game* that people are basing their performance targets on right now. Wish I could run it with better settings, game looks friggin awesome.

I'm running it on high 1080p on a 7870 and and the framerate seems to remain above 60, it's not especially taxing (which is probably good, making it very accessible, which seems to be its focus), still, can't wait to get a new card to get slightly sharper edges or shadows or whatever :toot:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Considering a new monitor; seems like some of the more affordable ones with the specs I want have FreeSync, but GSync ones tend to be a fair bit more.
If I get a 1070 for example, is FreeSync basically a non-feature? Or is it supported in some capacity for GTX cards?
edit: my understanding is currently "it will do nothing"

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Fair enough.
I have heard very positive things about GSync etc so hopefully the technology will become more universally implemented down the line.
Will probably wait till I can get a new card before upgrading monitor anyway, so maybe there'll be some good deal by that time, think I could deal without GSync though anyway, the upgrade to a higher resolution/refresh rate should be pretty pleasing in itself.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Lungboy posted:

The 1070 prices are too big a jump from the 970 for my wallet. Here's hoping the RX480 can deliver.

speaking of which, what's the word on the 480's relative performance? It's cool that both the 1080 and 1070 are faster than any previously released card, but I have no idea where the 480 lies relative to other cards. Also are some of them 4gb and some 8gb?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Currently only have a GPU with HDMI/VGA (or is it DVI? Doesn't matter anyway) but not DisplayPort.
Looking at monitors currently, one variant of the ones I'm looking at only has DisplayPort, would I be able to use some sort of HDMI adapter in this case and would this limit my maximum refresh rate?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If it's a 1440p or higher monitor, none of the DisplayPort to DVI/HDMI adapters do dual-link, so you'd be limited to 1200p.

Cheers. Does 1440p/144Hz work over HDMI? (I'll get a new card soon anyway as I don't expect to be able to play games at that resolution and framerate with my current hardware)

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I just looked at my card and realised I actually DO have DisplayPort.
That was dumb.
Cool cool cool.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

So just to check, are all the currently-available 1070s considered Founders Editions?
I've heard the price £329 thrown around, but obviously none of the models which I can see online are at that price point, closer to £400.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Linx posted:

I think that £329 is pretty optimistic considering the pricing for the 3rd party 1080s was about on par with the FE. Maybe it's because I ordered the 1070FE and want to be able to justify dropping £400 on a card but I don't expect any pricing miracles anytime soon

Yeah, I'm kinda expecting the same. Think I'll wait to see how good the 480 is before getting any new cards.
Annoying having to wait to see if I have to get G-Sync or FreeSync

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Forbes is great, it's the only site where every time I click a link it takes me to some landing page that never directs to the page the link was linking to. Truly amazing.

edit: that might be an adblock thing
double edit: that looks real dumb

sout
Apr 24, 2014

FaustianQ posted:

Or this, lol. 1070 saved!

yay?

I'll wait until all the cards are out/proper benchmarks before getting a new card.
I do really want a 1070 but if the 480 is a significantly better deal then I dunno man.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Consoles have 8 core CPUs now (unless they did already) which means that everybody needs to put one in their PC because we need to have numbers which are bigger than or equal to consoles.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

drat, waited too long to decide on a card and now the deals for 1440p 144hz monitors I was looking at have expired.
Hopefully some good ones will pop up elsewhere, and by then I'll know whether the 480 will suck or not.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Don Lapre posted:

You all need to stop talking about these new gpus. Im getting more and more tempted to replace my 980ti and i only play contageon and CSGO

Seriously, I keep thinking about new monitors and cards and I don't even know what I'd play on them.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So if turns out that two rx480's in crossfire outperform a 1070, will any of you switch over?

I don't know if my mobo supports sli/crossfire (it may be able to, I should find out for sure). I don't love the idea of crossfire in terms of power usage and potential for more frustrating tech issues.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sure the increased power efficiency will definitely offset the $600 or whatever you spend on a new graphics card. For sure.
You basically can't afford not to.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

front page article is relevant to my interests.
there's a front page?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Can anyone briefly explain what clock is and why it seems to be so much bigger for the 1070 and 1080 than other cards/what that means in terms of performance?

sout fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

oooooooooooooooh.
I want a new card to drive a new monitor, but the better the monitor I want, the more expensive a card I'd want to drive it. Hopefully the 1060 can hit some sort of sweet spot. I was thinking about the 1070 but now I'm not sure.