Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cactus posted:

As a 970 owner waiting to upgrade... I feel this post in the depths of my bones.

I'm planning on making a new build based around a 3080 and upgrading to 1440p with all the bells and whistles, and coming from a 770 I'm pretty sure my head's going to explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll wait for the 3060ti

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

I remember that Nvidia did this cross promotion in the early 2000s where they got game characters to "sing" in werid music videos generated by Geforce graphics. I remember that there was a evanescence song with bloodrayne singing in it with a npc playing a guitar for Bloodrayne 2. There was another one where Leisure Suit Larry was the lead singer in a band with a backup band of various game characters. There was some weird clause in the contract with developers who took Nvidia's money that Nvidia had all the rights to use their engines and assets for marketing purposes.

I don't even know how to find it because every-time I look it up, it keeps linking back to Disney's G-Force soundtrack and some kid's band called G-Force.

gently caress I remember that, I distinctly recall some pop-punk song being played by Tribes characters.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm gonna go from a 770 straight to a 3080 and I'm pretty sure my heads going to explode

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

What the hell, they have five different 3090s?

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm just curious if a 3080 will be overkill for 1440p/144hz, although I'll justify it as future-proofing if it is (I know future-proofing is a bad idea)

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Now that I have an idea of what GPU I want I need AMD and Intel to hurry up with their CPUs, I'm getting antsy to get my new build going :dogcited:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If either my aging 770/4670k setup or civilization as we know it eats poo poo before I get my hands on a new 3080 rig I'll be pretty bummed

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Taima posted:

kopite7kimi was by far the most allstar leaker of this entire generation and now his tweets are protected, hope he's ok :/

Jensen has him tied to a chair in a dimly lit room as we speak

But yeah he's awesome and I hope he sticks around

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Does anyone have a good example of per-object motion blur? I've only ever seen motion blur be an ugly mess so I'm really curious to see what good motion blur looks like.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's a different company. Fry's Electronics is the one that's a moldering corpse.

I went to my local Fry's recently and holy gently caress it's worse than I thought it'd be, literally only a fourth of the sales floor was even being used and what was still being used was picked over and bare. I was looking for a new gaming mouse and they had like five or six left in the building. I used to love going there :negative:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

repiv posted:

Nobody may give a poo poo about AOTS as a game but it lives on as a meme benchmark

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-4k-aots-benchmark-leaks-out

I was wondering when and why Attack of the Show made a video game and was very confused for a second

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I imagine a 3060 that's roughly equal to a 2070S or so at $300 would sell like the cure for cancer

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I respect that you matched your lighting from your PC and peripherals with your background

I think it looks alright

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I imagine that would just make the scalpers raise their own prices and screw over everyone else even more

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I've already had this comp for 6-7 years now, if I gotta wait a bit longer until January that's not big a deal right?

:smithicide:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Just in time for the 30xxti

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm considering sticking to my Define R4 for now to save a few bucks on my new build, I was thinking of something mesh front and mATX (Meshify Mini C, perhaps) but a 1440p monitor and a 3080 are looking a bit pricey

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

shrike82 posted:

Kinda puts DrDork’s “heh not everything needs DLSS” in a pretty poor light if RT isn’t there yet

You're being kinda weird, man

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

DrDork posted:

Why the gently caress does that dude have a Blockbuster case in his hand? If the other guy didn't have a mask on I'd call that a fake.

Pretty sure that's a phone case

Has people camping out for GPUs ever been a thing before? I've only really been into PC building since the GTX 7xx series, I never figured I'd see people camp out for computer parts

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Of course, I shoulda figured. Camping out for a 20 series seems hilarious in hindsight

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Charge the scalpers for every card they buy and then don't give them a thing

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Avoid Newegg like the loving plague then, got it

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I was hearing stories about some folks at Micro Centers being offered 500+ bucks for their spot in line for the 3090 launch.

When Wiis were impossible to get my local Circuit City (rip) was handing out paper slips to people in line and my buddy sold his to a guy for $200

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm kinda glad I'm waiting to upgrade now, I'm gonna let this madness shake out for a bit before I bite the bullet

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Oh god, now my broken brain just wants to wait for this instead of a 3080 :psyduck:

e I won't of course but still

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The new CoD having RTX and DlSS seems like it might be a big deal as well

Also I'm wondering how much the 3060s bringing both those features for (relatively) cheap will change the things

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'm mentally resigning myself to getting a new 3080 rig next year :negative:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

gently caress, at this point I might as well try to flip my 770 that's sitting in my dead PC, why not

I'm now remembering buying it for ~$330 with the simple click of a button, what a time that was

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Leave the pot farms alone and bulldoze the houses with crypto farms

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

Somebody tell the cops how valuable those cards are if auctioned off, they'll be busting and seizing mining ops all over the place.

ACAB and all but buying a 3080 at a police auction for chump change would own.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I know this is usually a crapshoot but any educated guesses on whether it's better to get a new build now that availability and prices are back down to Earth or wait for Zen 4, RTX 40 stuff later this year? I'm leaning towards waiting but if the new parts make the prices go insane again I'm gonna drive off a cliff

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I would like to buy a 4070 this year with a cyborg frog on the box

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

This is great, I love Yeston having a whole-rear end lore for their products and Steve using the chance to show off his Mandarin

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

If the 4070 drops to about $500 I'll get one, otherwise go to hell Nvidia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I used to have two Fry's within an hours drive for me, now the only PC place nearby is Best Buy :negative: