Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My Radeon 5850 died. I'm on a tight budget so I was looking at a Geforce 750 Ti as it looks like about the best card in the price range I can justify spending. I couldn't find any direct comparisons between the two, apart from lists of stats that are obviously comparing very different things.

So at 1920x1200, just how much of a performance difference am I looking at here, for better or worse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Thanks, that's about what I expected from what I've read, but it's nice to hear more opinions. Think I'll order the 2GB Zotac model. I tend to alternate between Geforce and Radeon cards every couple of years.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hace posted:

Why not the R7 265?

I was asking how it compared to my previous, deceased card. I can find comparisons to its current competition easily enough.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The Gunslinger posted:

I have a GeForce 670 I'm not using anymore if you're interested. I'd let it go pretty cheap. It's nothing special these days but it would blow away a 750 Ti. You can PM me if interested, otherwise it just goes to Ebay :)

Already ordered, but thanks for the offer. I'll go with the new card, which I think should work out well.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Well I got the GTX 750 Ti I asked for advice on a few pages ago, while it's no 980, it does seem faster than the 5850 I had to replace. Not by a lot, but I figure it's also probably turning 80 fewer Watts into heat. Seems good to me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My new Geforce card gives me an option for TXAA over the old MSAA. Doesn't seem to look or perform any different to me, is there an advantage to this that I'm missing?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

How stupid would I be if I bought a RX 580 right now?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

reddit is saying the nvidia super thing might be the 2060/2070/2080 re-releasing at significantly lower prices during e3

maybe it's the 3GB 2060 lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Low-profile and single-slot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynxYGZgcXp8

More than I'd pay to make an old Dell capable of playing Fortnite. If your budget requires getting an old business desktop, never ever get the SFF ones. The mini-towers are better, not just for expansion room, but they also run a lot cooler and more reliably in my experience.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

endlessmonotony posted:

Honestly, which models are bad buys right now?

'cause I'm still looking at the 1660. Non-Ti. I'm running a 750Ti as is and it's getting a bit long in the teeth.

I was faced with exactly the same problem and ended up replacing my 750Ti with a used 1070. Of course that's a significant heat/power increase, too.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

repiv posted:

gently caress it, multi-gpu is dead, why aren't AIBs making 5 slot cards yet

RX 5700 XT CHONKR

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Isn't the biggest problem with the 20-series, from Nvidia's perspective, that it's kinda inefficient and expensive to make due to the AI/deeplearning tensor cores being essentially wasted die space for gaming use?

I could see them rushing out new high end GPUs that ditch almost all the AI poo poo.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

We actually started with dedicated power bricks drawing from a whole 'nother socket on the wall apart from the PC.

And apparently no cooling?!

The Voodoo 5 6000 (that model) was never produced beyond prototypes before 3DFX went under (the few working prototypes are worth a fortune).

The Voodoo 5 5500 did make it to market, though, and it's the first card I remember seeing with a power connector. Not an external one, though:

I want to say it was 2-3 years later that the Geforce FX 5800 and Radeon 9700 Pro arrived and needed a power cable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume it's a P4 so probably quite toasty.

It's willfully stupid, someone combining the worst CPU and the worst graphics card (sorry, I liked 3dfx but it's true) of 2001 into one awful retro nostalgia build. There's a certain charm to it. I hope it's running Windows ME to complete the trifecta because that's what I'd do.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 19, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

I'm not sure which P4 was the worst CPU, I had two models of P4 and it wasn't that bad; but I do remember both P3 and P4 had awful launch models.

Every version of the P4/Netburst had serious flaws. Without making a long CPU post in the GPU thread, I'd just say in my opinion the first version (that used awful RDRAM) and the last version (that tried to glue two P4s together into a terrible dual core) were the worst.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I have a feeling the second generation of RTX cards will be significantly better than the first. They're going to cut a lot of the unused AI nonsense out of the GPU and use that die space more effectively. Could be wrong. We'll see.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Definitely going to use my 1070 for at least another year.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Correct. Scott Wasson, formerly of Tech Report, now working for AMD.

don't look up TechReport now, it got bought by SEO people and the result is not pretty

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Most of my computers are old as hell so I max them out with the options that would have cost a fortune when they were new. Currently looking for a cheap Quadro FX 4500 that I can flash for the PowerMac G5 (need one of the early revision ones with RAM on both sides, indicated by the heatspeader on the bottom). I take no shame in this.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’ve thought of making a kickass 2005 or 2009 computer out of used parts now that it can be done for like a hundred or two tops. You can get a GeForce 9800 GTX for like ten bucks now, put one of those with a Phenom or something, install Windows XP, and you’ve got something that can do emulation and play the stuff that refuses to work with Windows 10.

In 2005, my friends and I would go to Falcon Northwest's site and spec out the most expensive machine they sold. Then laugh about who could possibly afford such a thing. The high end from that era is super cheap now. Finding old parts that don't have bad capacitors or other problems is tricky, but if you're patient, it's cheap. If if you're playing games from that era, it's certainly an authentic experience.

Some things aren't cheap due to rarity, like a legit Geforce 6800 Ultra or 8800 Ultra can be pricey. But one step down from those is pennies.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ufarn posted:

New 30X0 or used 20X0, definitely don't buy a new 20X0 under any circumstances. And they're only gonna go up on eBay/SA Mart once the 30X0 release/announcement date is fairly certain.

If used cards get cheap enough, I'd be tempted to replace my 1070 with a 2060, which is almost a sidegrade but dammit I want to try Quake II with raytracing

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ideally with passive cooling.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Mistikman posted:

Ideally my computer will have no extraneous lights, and make little to no sound.

I disabled the LEDs on my mouse and headset and I refuse to buy a case with a side window. No RGB allowed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hasn't that existed for months as oem-only card for the likes of Dell and HP? I guess if they're going to start selling retail cards it's news.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Palit robofrog is my spirit animal

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I had a 6800 GT AGP which I successfully unlocked into a 6800 Ultra. Installed a quiet cooler on it, then the fan on that failed after a couple years, and I accidentally scraped a couple traces on the card with a screwdriver trying to remove the broken cooler. That's the only piece of computer hardware I've ever destroyed through accidental negligence.

I do still have the 6600 GT that card replaced, and which in turn replaced that card, but it was time for a whole new system at that point.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm also going to guess $599 for the versions with the Blu-ray drive and $449 for the digital editions.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

As a poor person I'm much more interested in the 3060 than the 3080Ti Super whatever. Any midrange leaks or speculation?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

looking forward to the GT 3030!

1730, 1750

A low-profile card that significantly outperforms the best integrated graphics will always have some market, I suppose, but Nvidia didn't make a 1630 so it's probably a very low priority to them.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 6, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1650 Pooper

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

30 Fast, 30 Faster, 30 Fastest

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MX450 for laptops that is another rebadged GP108

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Almost 18 months ago, I bought a used 1070 for $225. And from a glance at ebay, it looks like that price hasn't moved at all.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If Nvidia used a special power connector on the card, it would probably just break out into two 8-pins. But I've seen some posts saying that rumor was false, anyway.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Space Gopher posted:

Apple has basically committed to going from a mobile part to a discrete-class GPU capable of performance better than the current AMD Mac/Macbook Pro options in the space of a couple of years. If they don't, then they're going to have a big stain on their new architecture initiative. Worst case, they'd have to stick with x86 on their highest-performance systems, which would be a real bad look as they sell ARM everywhere else.

Seems to me the worst case scenario if they fail to deliver high graphics performance is that they keep using discrete GPUs in their "Pro" systems. At least for a while longer. I know they did not include the AMD driver in the arm version of MacOS, but that's comparatively easy to change. Using a graphics card isn't a x86 thing.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've found 27" to be the ideal desktop size for me.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

That Zotac refurb store that was linked in this thread some weeks ago currently has a $99 1050 Ti if you want something from a manufacturer rather than ebay (only a 90-day warranty):

https://store.zotac.com/refurbished/graphics-cards

Their stock changes periodically. They were selling 2080s (non-Super non-Ti) for $440 last week.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Will there be a DLSS 3.0 anytime soon and will it be supported by 2000 series cards?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Maybe the 3090 really is a dual GPU card, then lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Wonder what the used market for 2080s will look like after the release.