Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So when is the next big iteration of nvidia cards supposed to hit? I want to do a whole new system build for myself but I am gating myself based on GPU and CPU releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hace posted:

Buy a new CPU whenever, things aren't about to change drastically anytime soon.

Nvidia cards are "expected" to hit in November-ish, but nobody actually knows when they'll arrive.

Awesome, thanks so much!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Meta Ridley posted:

So comparing those specs to the 750 Ti

> 2.6x the number of cores
> About 18% faster Boost clock rate
> Double memory interface width and About 30% higher memory clock rate, which means 2.6x the memory bandwidth (or 224.3GB/s)

1.18 * 2.6 = 3.068x the core performance of the 750 Ti
2.6x the memory bandwidth of the 750 Ti, which is the same as the 770 but significantly less than the 780Ti
Twice the RAM (4GB vs 2GB)

The 780 Ti has about 2.5x - 3x the performance as the 750Ti, so my guess is we are looking at a card that edges out the 780 Ti at lower memory intensive resolutions like 1080P and likely even 1440P, but starts losing at higher resolutions/anti-aliasing due to the lower bandwidth compared to the 780 Ti.

So wait, the 900's will be worse than the 780ti? What the hell?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So can someone explain the shift in tone? When the pics leaked of the new 900 cards earlier it seemed like most people weren't too excited for the 900 then the whole tone shifted, what caused that?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Meta Ridley posted:

The price actually being $329 for the 970. This forces AMD to push all their prices down lower, since they have a ridiculous amount of SKUs. It is basically a return of reasonably-priced cards.

Also I think a lot of people have been pissed at how expensive nVidia had been in the 700 series, considering most of those cards are rebadges of the 600 series, and if they weren't a rebadge then they were obscenely expensive (exclusing the 750/750Ti but those are lower-end cards). Last week, $400 with nvidia would only get you a card that originally came out 2.5 years ago. Now $329 gets you a card that beats AMD's top-end single-card, uses much less power, runs cooler and overclocks like crazy.

That's really awesome. It seems like people are gravitating towards the 970 because of its price point but is the 980 a "bad investment"? I am planning on an serious upgrade when the maxwell arch comes out and I would be looking at the 980 once non-reference cards come out. Would that be incredibly foolish?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So question, will the twin frozr msi 970 be able to support DK2 games at high settings? Basically I want to play elite dangerous on high settings on my dk2 without it lagging like all get out, and my current card can no longer cut the mustard. And my understanding is that twin frozr is still the gold standard for non-reference.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotation Confusion posted:

SLI 970 is exactly what I'm telling ppl to buy for oculus rift Elite right now.

I'm running it at maxed everything at 3440x1440 on an OC'd 780 so dual 970 should be more than enough.

This only gets tricky in that they're planning on building in graphics options that will require multiple gens of cards to reach max so "max'ed everything at release" isn't a reasonable goal

SLI is such a poo poo show though since it requires the developers to make extra effort and 9/10 its just wasted potential. You don't think a single 970 will be able to keep up?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rotation Confusion posted:

Elite has SLI support built in as of beta 2 and they're planning on keeping it maintained forever

Well drat, I'll have to wait then I can't run SLI on my current mobo and I told myself I was going to wait to do a new system build till the new intel cpu architecture was actually out... maybe its time I... sped this process up...

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

gently caress it I'm gonna pick up a 970 and get a second one sometime down the road. The twin frozr is still the best one to grab right?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does this look like a good 970 to pick up?

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-GAMING-4G/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1412036304&sr=8-7&keywords=nvidia+970

I am really poo poo at knowing these kinds of things.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

This thread has me confused. Do the new MSI 970's have fan issues or not?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Senjuro posted:

For some people, yes. MSI is aware of the problem but no solution yet.
https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=183618.0;all

Thanks, I'll hang back until the issues are resolved, I've also loved MSI as a non-reference so I'll see how this plays out.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

BurritoJustice posted:

MSI 980 Gaming hits 1600MHz core and 2200MHz memory clock in Ocaholics bench, on the stock BIOS voltages and air cooling

The most mind blowing thing about this to me is the 2200 memory, that's what, 8.8GHz effective up from 7?

That would be this card correct? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127834&cm_re=msi_980-_-14-127-834-_-Product

Is this card also having the fan issues?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

The card itself does not have fan issues. The cards owned by people who gorilla-hand the stickers off have fan issues.

OK, but is that card I linked the same one mentioned by the article?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

crabcakes66 posted:

Yes it is. It's the card I bought.

Any complaints? What's been your experience with it? Do you do any VR?

edit: Also how big is it? I am not sure if it can even fit in my case...

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 2, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

^^^Thanks for the info!

Welp I went ahead and got this. I was leaning towards a 980 but the cost versus performance gain didn't really seem worht it and if I need mroe performance in the future I can grab another 970 for sli goodness.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Does anyone have a comprehensive write up on the pros and cons of sli versus single card? I keep hearing contradictory things about sli from everyone, some people think its amazing, others think its trash. Some people say you will get the highest fps with sli but the most inconsistent frame rate as well. I just don't know who to listen to or what to believe.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Awesome thanks so much for the write up guys. I got a 970 msi gaming which I will run single for now and might eventually grab another for sli sometime down the road.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So is the whole point of SLI VR support to be that one card renders one eye so the two viewpoints are each handled symmetrically by the gpu's?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I always thought people thought MSI was the gold standard :shrug:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I also heard that the 970 MSI has some lovely output options.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

MSI's fan issues would easily put it below Gigabyte or Asus, IMO.

If I were a betting man I'd say the fan issues are a non-issue if you are not stupid about the sticker. When my came the sticker was really on there, but I took my time taking it off and so far no issues.

Can someone explain to me how to mess with overclocking my msi 970? I have the ge force experience thing but I don't see any overclocking options in that application.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to run SLI. I really feel like there are two parties on each side of the fence, and they are each yelling equally loud. I just don't want to feel like I've made a poor choice if down the road support is once again forgone, however it also seems like the best solution for VR.

If I am building a VR rig, is it in my best interest to shoot for SLI (2 970's)?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Don Tacorleone posted:

Just to check - two 970s running default SLI will be much better than a single 980, right?

I can afford a little more than a single 98' but definitely not two right now.

Is it better to pop 2 970s in there, or buy a 980 and save for the second one later?

They'll be used for 1080p gaming at most but I want to future proof a bit and to run games at ridiculous Fps

Yeah do what I am doing, I am running a 1080p monitor at 60fps but I am also trying to run an oculus rift, so I picked up one 970 now, and I'm waiting to grab another one somewhere down the line when I start to feel like either A) my system can no longer play my games maxxed out (which currently with one 970 it can save for badly optimized games like ARMA) or B) the price point drops really low.

SLI depends heavily on the correct profiles being released and its a per game basis. I wish SLI wasn't so wishy washy, but I keep hearing that SLI is a perfect solution for VR so I am aiming for that.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Rime posted:

Wut? SLI breaks VR and Oculus warns against it.

Currently it does yes, but it is supposed to eventually take advantage of the new VR SLI features the 900 series is trying to introduce.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

It's usually a really bad idea to buy a product based on future support that should be coming but has not been released into the wild yet.

Which is why I only have one 970 and if they keep their promise of good vr sli I am going to buy another.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I have heard of coil whine, and I even read up on it on the wiki but I still don't completely understand it. Is it a mechanical noise generated from a bad fan?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Just chiming in to say Newegg honored my free game promotion despite ordering it a month ago. No hassle did it through chat.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Turd Eater posted:

I tried the same thing and they said no.

Here is my chatlog:

new egg promotional chat support posted:

newegg: Thank you very much for that information. The promotion was from 11/4 but your purchase was made on 10/2. You are not eligible for the promotion.
    newegg.:   Please allow me one second to check what can be done for you.
    me:   I was told by another newegg user that you were honoring hte promotion retroactively for people who purchased this card
    me:   And that tiger direct, and microcenter and amazon were also retroactively honoring this
    newegg.:   Thank you for holding. We value you as a customer of Newegg and I really want to help resolve your situation so I have created an order # [redacted] to send the item for you at no cost of your own. You will receive emails concerning the order status. You can check your order status under My Account.

Make sure you chat with the promotional/special support person.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I know of the memory issue with the 970, and I am thinking about returning mine for a 980 (not because I am worried about the memory, but because I think I secretely just really want a 980). Does the 980 have the same memory issues?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So then is the MSI 980 still a solid 980 to go for? Or that is to say this card: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-980-GAMING-4G/dp/B00OD38516/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1422473762&sr=8-5&keywords=nvidia+980

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I am an idiot when it comes to anything higher than 1080p. I have a coworker who is looking to drive two 4k monitors. He asked for my help and I assumed that any card could drive it but if he wanted to do gaming of any kind the new 10 series would be the way to go (but to wait for after market cards).

Is that a correct assumption? Would the 1070 be able to drive two 4k monitors @ 60Hz? Not for gaming I mean, for coding and being a desktop. Obviously he might game on one monitor, but that I know would work decently on the 10 series.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

If he is splurging for two 4k monitors why would you suggest he be a cheap rear end on his graphics cards? 1080 or bust, maybe even two.

Because he is a very very light gamer. When I asked him what he might play he said "Portal 2 or maybe minecraft."

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Thanks for the tips guys, a bit disappointing, but I will still keep my head up for the 1080ti.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

So is there like an established timeframe for when we will start seeing MSI's twin-frozr 1080ti's? Or anything that isn't founders basically?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Still no MSI 1080tis?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gosh dangit MSI release your twin frozr equivalent for the 1080ti already!

If I am not planning on OCing my card, does it really matter what after market card I get? I would like one that is the best performance since I will be pushing my machine to the max via VR, but I imagine since they're all based on the same hardware it more just has to do with overclock potential and cooling as opposed to factory performance right?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I'm dying over here for the MSI twin frozr equivalent for the 1080ti. I want it, give it to me damnit MSI!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

..btt posted:

Mine apparently just got picked at Scan (UK), despite still showing as "preorder" in their catalogue. They've already emailed me the game code though. Sadly I booked delivery for mid-April since that's when they expected stock. Might have to try to rearrange.

Other non-FE versions are listed as in stock though.

Wait its out? I'm confused...