Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I managed to find a 1070ti for real cheap. Interested in getting a 1440p screen eventually. Would 120-144hz be viable with an OCed 1070ti and 4690k at 4.4ghz or should I stick to 1440p 60hz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just as a benchmark I am pushing a 1440P Ultrawide with G-Sync at up to 100FPS with my 980Ti and it's doing alright. Destiny 2 is my current jam and it hangs around 70+FPS at almost all times so a 1070Ti should be a decent chunk faster since its closer to a 1080.

It will all depend on the game but if you can swing the G-Sync tax, then you will have a better time for when the game pushes it below say 60FPS. Hitting/holding 144FPS in most AAA games isn't going to happen though unless you turn a few things down I would believe.

Ah nice. that's good to know. how worth it would ray tracing be if I were to mostly play in borderless fullscreen or windowed? appreciate the help.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

EdEddnEddy posted:

Now you lost us..... RTX Ray Tracing no matter the window config is going to be garbage on a non 20XX card because, well nothing has the hardware for it currently.

well I feel like a dummy. meant to say gsync

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

EVGA sent me a marketing email for a GPU labor day sale, such as a 1070 with Destiny 2 + Expansions for $360, seems not terrible since you can step up from them as well:

https://www.evga.com/r.asp?id=5880

1080s have been going for 400ish now and then. best to keep an eye on those. Lmao. Evga wants 170 for a 950 on that page.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Turns out the hardware failure was in our brains all along.
I'm loving my 1070ti but I also had similar issues with hanging and crashing as some other posters. Think it was some form of driver conflict or the OC on my i5 bot being as stable as I thought since clearing the bios and doing a refresh install of windows seems to have fixed it.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Paul MaudDib posted:

It's kind of sad that sleek contemporary design is on the way out in favor of the blingee LED cases.

Also, it's virtually impossible nowadays to find something without a window. I tried, there isn't much.

I kinda like the windows to an extent since they let you monitor your interior without having to remove the side panel. I'm less fond of how many cases have flat/smooth front panels now

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Did I miss something? Why re prices spiking?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
That one dude still looking for gpus? You can get 1070tis for about 360 when they go on sale and they're not too far off from the 2070 in raw power

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Fauxtool posted:

thats a pretty wallet friendly disability. 90 to 144hz was such a huge leap for me that im looking forward to 240hz just so i can keep up with the 13 year olds who cant afford that kind of hardware.

I honestly have difficulty noticing any real difference around the 90-120 threshold.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Both my pny and evga cards had similar issues and the drove me crazy. Doesn't help that my case will sometimes make a click noise from thermal expansion

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Stickman posted:

Might be a good way to blow the fans before your warranty is up so you can get a nice upgrade if the old cards are out of stock.

I got a 5 year warranty on my 1070ti. I'm hoping it croaks around year 4 or 5 for a sweet step up

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ChiTownEddie posted:

I currently have a 1060 and i5-6600, but I upgraded to a 1440p/144hz monitor.
What sorta gfx card upgrade should I be looking for this weekend? 2060? 5700? One of the billion variants?

You may want to find a cheap I7 for your socket. I had a 4690k and 4 cores did not play well with a lot of newer titles if you unlocked the frame rate

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I'm not the most tech savvy but I'm a doubtful that amd will be able to fit in 5700 tier performance without next generation consoles being heat traps

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Lol. So many goons getting upgrade anxiety from having to turn down a couple of settings.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

orcane posted:

The RTX 2070 in my SFF computer just died so whatever will be too late :suicide:

Good thing I didn't sell my GTX 1050 Ti yet.

Shouldn't it still be under warranty?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Murvin posted:

So I jumped the gun and upgraded to a 2560x1440 monitor before my hardware was probably ready for it and some games are struggling a bit. I am using the old and formerly very popular i5 4460 cpu and a GTX 1070 gpu. At this point I know I need a new CPU and that may be bottle-necking me, but is my GPU also good enough for 1440p or should I be considering a step up? If so, is there a current card in the sweet spot for that resolution right now?

1070 should be fine so long as you don't mind turning some settings down.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

ufarn posted:

Palit are great and top a lot of benchmarks, but their shroud designer is on acid.

I’d buy them over MSI, Gigabyte, Zotac, PNY any day.

They are also often very chonky which makes managing internals difficult, but that’s most GPUs these days.

I think Palit and pny are owned by the same company. I had a pny 1060 for 2 years that I sold to a friend. They tell me it's still working fine 2 years down the line.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I had a 27 incher and hated how grainy game textures would look if you too close.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Any word on the length of the gigabyte models?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Is it even worth going to a local best buy to see if they got any in stock?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
So I'm good to step up if I buy any recent EVGA RTX card right? Tempted to get a 2080S as a hold over.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, again:

While you have 90 days to elect to take advantage of the Step-Up program, if you don't register your card within 14 days, the only other way to enroll is if you buy an extended warranty. So TL;DR: register your card in the first 14 days.

Planned on getting an extended warranty anyway. works for me.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Adambomb0 posted:

https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

I talked to the support guy just to double check before buying, he said to make sure it was being fulfilled by Amazon since I didn't get it from EVGAs website.

Here is the list of cards, I'm not sure the 2080 would work.

Graphics Card

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING, 10G-P5-3897-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Technology, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate (10G-P5-3897-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA, OVERCLOCKED, 2.75 Slot Extreme Cool Dual, 70C Gaming, RGB, Metal Backplate, 08G-P4-3173-KR, 8GB GDDR6 (08G-P4-3173-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 KO ULTRA GAMING, 06G-P4-2068-KR, 6GB GDDR6, Dual Fans, Metal Backplate (06G-P4-2068-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 BLACK GAMING, 06G-P4-1160-KR, 6GB GDDR5, Single Fan (06G-P4-1160-KR) (PDF)

Those're cards that one can step up to.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Taima posted:

What are people doing for hdmi 2.1 cables (should you be in a position to need one)?

I ordered a somewhat sketchy $90 fiber optic HDMI 2.1 cable that's arriving today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V7NNVJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just wondering what people are sourcing. I know there's no official cables but there are reports of various cables working at 4K/120 on the LG CX. Though, that's without 4:4:4 chroma, since they were using Turing.

There's also a youtube video about 4K/120 on the 3080 though at least with his cable it looks like VRR was not working correctly or something, I dunno, early days here not much info available:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJXFe5zW_G0

It's also just a good video in general if you're curious about the interaction between OLED gaming and PC graphics cards.

I'll likely go for some cable matters cables. 90 seems a bit much for a cable.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

repiv posted:

HDMI 2.1 has limited range over passive cables (~3 meters) so long runs require expensive active cables

$90 is cheap for that kind of thing

Oh my bad. I didn't notice the length. yeah that seems like a fair price.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

lDDQD posted:

Maybe if you're switching between amd and nvidia. The driver for a 1000 card and a 3000 card is literally the same piece of code, though.

I switched my 1070ti with a 2080S without using DDU and it's been fine so far.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cygni posted:

Yeah, evga actually works to keep their customers and i appreciate that enough to basically only buy their stuff. Since I've had my 2080, they have a) released a new BIOS after launch that raised the power limit beyond competing cards, b) Sent me a free powerlink, c) Sent free color trim pieces for the card to swap to if I wanted. Their free OC software is good and far less annoying visually than afterburner, their community managers actually provide meaningful information, and they actually listen to feedback and improve the products. And I haven't had to use their warranty/RMA, but I've heard it is the best too. Sure, all of this is little stuff... but it is all just extra benefits for the dollar that I appreciate. The fact that the cards aren't meaningfully more expensive seals the deal.

The trade off is the cards look kinda ugly frankly. Both of the last 2 gens have been Bad.

I had a G3 PSU go bad on me and they replaced it ez pz. RMA call took like 10 mins and they filled out all the info for me.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

redreader posted:

What games would really showcase the ray-tracing abilities of the 3080? Similarly, what games would I really notice the g-sync difference with?

I have an lg 1440 @ 144 and want to try something out that really blows me away, now that my 3080 is supposedly out for delivery.

All I have right now is control + metro exodus from the ray-tracing games list, but, I haven't played any of the metro games (I have the bundle) so IDK if I should jump into exodus, probably not.

It's not very demanding but vanquish is a great high speed action game. Also titanfall 2.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

get creative with it - use corks, legos, your birthstone, a pencil sharpened down to the appropriate height, bones of small birds, a human femur, a piece of the Berlin Wall

I got a pill bottle with a little slit of cardboard.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Capntastic posted:

Someone upthread was asking about using the EVGA stepup program for a 3070; I’ll chime in that I got in line for a 3070 on launch day and have yet to get the nod. Good luck!

I registered for a 3080 a week after release. I'm looking forward to getting my card around when hopper comes out.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
I put my 2080super down for a step up on 9/23. poo poo's still on day one. Likely won't be getting my 3080 until march/april.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Biowarfare posted:

Is there anything lower power than a RX580 that I can replace mine with that's reasonably available and not too expensive? I don't play many games, but I'm hitting power issues just with Path of Exile on lowest.

I'd look into the 1650 super

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
re gpu cablles: A friend of mine fried their mobo and some other parts when they mixed cables. def don't want to do it.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

TacticalHoodie posted:

Ok, is there any reason why a audio dac would cause lag on the gpu in games? I know it make no sense, but when I unplugged the Steelseries GameDac from my pc, it actually stopped all the lag and video studdering issues I been having for the past month. I switched motherboard BIOs, used my 1080ti and my girlfriend's pc and it did the same thing.

I believe this thing is cursed because it did the same thing to my PS4. Other than the fact it is made by Steelseries and they probably paid more for marketing than actual product quality control. My onboard sound drove more to my headphones than the game dac did.

Don't those game ones come with a bunch of audio processing effects? Something on the chain may be goofing up

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Don’t buy anything (unless you love the developer/game and want it forever), just get an Xbox game pass subscription and play tons of games you missed out on

The value is ridiculous

You can get it for free via amassing bing bux https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/automated-bing-searches/ipbgaooglppjombmbgebgmaehjkfabme?hl=en-US

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Did steps 2-5 for the EVGA step up yesterday. Just need to mail in the GPU. Any recommendations on who and what to use for shipping?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I also live in Northern California and used UPS to ship my card back to EVGA. Two days ground, insured for $900 and cost me about $36; shipping air would have gotten it there twice as fast but cost five times as much (around $140 I think?)

That's not bad at all. Thanks.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
3080 is due to come in the mail today. Is it ok to use GPU cables that split if i'm using a PSU with a single rail like the EVGA G3?

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Rolo posted:

Is it a 2 plug or 3 GPU? My understanding is to use 2 cables for 2 plugs but you can use 2 cables (one split) for 3 plugs.

It's the FTW3 with 3 plugs. Googling tells me using one split is fine but I'm paranoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

acksplode posted:

I really wish mainline windows 10 had auto HDR. This is what's gonna push me to finally upgrade to windows 11, and that's probably the idea I guess.

I've been using special k to inject HDR into titles on w10 and it's been working pretty well. Can even get it working on certain video players.