Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Its not the worst idea for $150 but I agree in this case to sell and 970 it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Not really, previously you could get a setup worth more than what a single card could do for you with SLI (within the same generation). For example, 2x $250 760's could outperform (ideally) a 780ti which cost over $700 at the same time. 2x 770's could outperform any single card available at the time for $660.

The real problem was that these benefits were only realized if you played games that supported SLI, or if the only games that you played that didn't support SLI didn't really require a lot of GPU anyways. Frankly that case fits a lot of people, but not everybody. The downsides to me were heat and power more than anything. There were some other quirks I noticed, although minor, that a single card was just better at as well but thats been explained a lot.

This generation is likely to be a little different, although 970 SLI does kick rear end simply because the 970 kicks rear end (when it applies above), the performance gap between that at the 980ti and 970 SLI (just assuming it will perform and be priced *roughly* around here) will probably be small enough to make SLI too unappealing.

I think the downsides of SLI are overstated for a variety of reasons. However single cards are simply better in virtually every way. If a single card is an option to be at a performance level you want to be at at a financial point you're willing to pay, always go for it.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 17, 2015

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Drunk Badger posted:

If it's possible to put it in numbers, how much more performance could I get from overclocking? I don't mind throwing a few bucks at it now if it will hold me over to the next generation

Best thing to do is get some thermal paste, repaste it, overclock with afterburner. Aftermarket cooling and stuff isn't going to help in any practical way in the way you want. You can flash your bios to increase voltage further and get like another few percent out of it but thats about it.

I'd recommend repasting and overclocking. Think about 10% more from this.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
we should probably get paid by nvidia per sale of 970

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm sure that is a very case by case basis. A capacitor is dirt cheap though, so if they can quickly (and cheaply) pinpoint a capacitor, like it just exploded or its a common thing, replacing that would be like 100 times cheaper than giving you a new board even with labor and all. Diagnosis being the sticking point

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BadAstronaut posted:

My 760Ti seems to handle 1920x1200 just fine.
So 970 is not actually enough for 2560x1440? It's going to be one hell of an expensive upgrade if I need to get a 980.

EDIT - This review seems to show perfectly fine results with that card:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/6.html

Its all relative to your expectations and what you're used to. Yes a 970 does very, very well especially for the cost. It's "good" to "very good" especially if you OC and be nice on the AA settings.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:can:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Lol SH/SC quickly forgets the marvel of the G2358.

I've built systems with that chip and 290x's. Its not a dumb idea since in almost every scenario its exactly the same performance as a chip and motherboard costing 8 times as much.

That being said, if a game does slam all cores on a 4 core i5 (exceedingly rare so far, but may be more common at DX12), it is likely the bottleneck.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't matter to games as long as it is 4 thread capable, not 4 core.

That's the second time I've read this with regards to DX12, which seems odd, since the exact opposite should be true - DX12 burdens the CPU less.

We didn't forget the marvel of the cheap and overclockable Pentium, but it's basically bad advice not to disclose the fact that some popular games simply will not run on it.

I thought DX12 would burden the CPU more across all cores, with the vague concept being almost all of the CPU threads are nearly wasted as it is. I'm probably wrong though then i dont actually know

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah I'm very interested in how far they can push it rather than how much it will ease burdens. It can't come soon enough though, I cannot wait.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Did you check the serial before you sent the card. Its not uncommon for cards deemed "fine" and sent back during the RMA process

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah that'll be nice

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Both "suck". One is far worse than the other though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kazinsal posted:

Can you even buy the Terascale R5 series cards at retail?

Also, my prediction for Nvidia's next GPU nomenclature: GTX X.60, X.70, X.80.

Yes, in fact, they are probably one of the easiest cards to find retail because Best Buy carries them in practically every store. Which is pretty lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

fuckpot posted:

This would be it, I am running a custom resolution to overclock my monitor. Sorry should have mentioned that. Thanks.

You have a qnix fuckpot?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
That's a very common thing, and reports of it being the root of a problem are almost nonexistent. I'm sure you could find one but I wouldn't worry. You can GIS "bent GPU" or "Sagging GPU" and see hundreds of pics of this, working fine though. I imagine its less common with the 970 rather than 2 or 3 previous gens but its still a big boy

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

creepy. I like it though, once I wrap my head around "this is real time" and "not a video"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I doubt we'll see it any higher quality than that, at least as a video. Once he starts panning around though its... clear to me that this is certainly a true next step.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
hmmm, should probably get another one then

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Wow if those were two games you were going to buy anyways then drat thats a deal

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
That seems high to me as well but, not by too much. Must just be the CPU I'm not used to.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Official specs for the mid-range R9 300 cards are out. Confirms that AMD are going to market ancient GCN 1.0 parts with no Freesync, TrueAudio or LiquidVR support as "new" cards :suicide:

lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Twerk from Home posted:

What the heck is going on here? Maybe this is going to be like the OEM only 8xxx generation and the real HBM-bearing next-gen will be R9-4xx series?

Well I didnt see the 390 in there at all which is what I thought was the only card with HBM on it. The specs, in general, are disheartening though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Did something change about HBM? I thought that was squarely for 390x's

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
doom gloom theyre already 9 months late gloom gloom gloom and this is what we get

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

Well, that's a reference board, not a shortened board. Still, I could have used that back when I wound up having to pair a 3 fan gigabyte 970 with the 1 fan itx gigabyte just so the 3 fan would overshoot it by one and a half fans so they could both breathe.

It looks like 2/3 the length of reference :confused:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Thinking about getting a 970 4gb card. Right now I have a corsair modular 450w power supply. I think I have last years i5 and an ssd with a gtx 760 sc currently.

The recommendations on the evga page say the 970 requires a 500w supply. Is that accurate or will my current supply work?

Yes. The 970 uses the same amount of power or less

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Paul MaudDib posted:

Water cooled cards are actually p. cool since you can keep the chip much cooler while also running much quieter. You can pick up a 120mm CPU AIO at Newegg for like $40 and AMD would buy wholesale, not retail. If people do it for a 88W CPU then why wouldn't it make sense on a 250W GPU too? That board is tiny for a flagship card, you could do some really cool, really quiet, really tiny mini-ITX builds with those even before the 395x2 comes out.

Its possible they need a more powerful cooler even if they kept the TDP reasonable - HBM may be more power efficient, but it'll dissipate into a smaller chip and there will be a lot less surface area to stick heatpipes onto. They supposedly are releasing air cooled reference cards too, so it's probably not impossible, but it's a certainty that they'll be hotter than the liquid cooled cards.

Liquid cooling is pretty much ideal but it just bodes poorly that its a factory thing. You can be sure nobody at AMD was really like "well this works really great with air but wouldnt water be even better?" especially to anybody who counts money or thinks about market appeal. But in general I'm sure it will be pretty awesome, on the that side of things.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No. Bang for buck is terrible on frequent upgrades even if you're partially funding them by selling your old hardware. I try to skip at least 1 generation before upgrading to get a big enough improvement to make it worthwhile to spend the cash and buy the 2nd to top of the line hardware at the time so I don't get reamed too badly by the high end tax. My old hardware I either give to my family or I put it in my WCG/Milkway GPGPU crunching box til' it dies. Got over 100 million points so far which isn't bad for 1 guy with a single crunching box. e: Actually closer to 160 million now that I checked it.

If I see a very good deal I'll make an exception but very good deals are rare.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: If you plan on going 1440p or higher resolution that does make some sense but if you're sticking with 1080p 2-3GB cards are still fine.

This is the easier route, but if you sell within the same gen you can generally make out. For example, my GTX 980 is actually free from buying a reselling so much and there was no unicorn deal in there. Resale on PC parts is very good compared to other things.

That being said I took the biggest ding from a 780ti sale, however that was my own fault for selling a week after the 9 series was released. Also that free 980 is from a year of buying and reselling - but my end goal was never to get something "free" out of it so it also doesn't seem like it was too much effort either.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Don't know what to tell you guys lol

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's not how opportunity cost works - money you earn by buying/flipping stuff is no different than money you get from any other work. You could have bought games/drugs/hookers/whatever with it instead, so your GPU isn't free. 3gb 7950s are pushing down to around the $100 mark, anything less than that probably isn't worth upgrading to.

Upgrading from 2gb is a smart future proofing move even at 1080p. Next gen games are pushing the VRAM requirements way higher. I wouldn't buy a card with less than 4gb unless I had a specific use-case in mind, and I wouldn't go less than 3gb unless it was priced as an absolute steal.

Yes technically, but I did start out with a $220 card and now and ended up with ~$800 as a side effect of doing a hobby I like to do versus anything I'd consider work. Per hour, that's not a lot of money, but I definitely wasn't doing it for the money. This may be a rather extreme example too as I'm talking about 15 gpus in a year

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

If you're selling within the same gen then you're going to have to wait a while for the next one to come out, especially if you want non-launch prices, though. If you got a decent spare card lying around you might not care but if you don't...well its not so fun to wait to say the least.

Resale on used PC parts is flat out poo poo. 20-30% off year old or less parts is common, its like selling a near new used car. Especially near a new product launch when no one wants to buy except low ballers. If you got near 1 to 1, or greater, dollar exchange on your sales vs what you paid for them you either ripped people off or got lucky.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/edit: and there are people who get suckered into buying empty PS3 boxes or busted hardware too. The Greater Fool is always out there but you can't on them buying your poo poo at a near MSRP prices. I noticed how you cut off the 'get lucky' part of that quote too, it was there for a reason you know.

20-30% loss is downright good to me if there is a new generation with a replacement model at nearly (or less) the same msrp, that's probably where we differ here.

Something I forgot to mention is the free games are what actually make you money as well. There were definitely a few cards I just wanted to try out to see OC differences and cooling, but I just tried for a week, sold the bundle, and resold the card for 95% of the cost on craigslist.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Dude that is nowhere close to 'nearly free' which is what you were saying before.

If someone sold their house* for 20-30% less than what they paid for it and then sold a bunch of other random poo poo to make up the difference to buy a somewhat better one would you also say they got that 2nd house for 'nearly free'? No you would not. Nor would anyone else. A lil' embellishment is fine and fun and all but gross exaggeration isn't.

* <or insert other random item here>

The point I was making is it's okay to value resale value for gpus which is how this started. I think it's strange for it not to be a factor unless you don't care, which is perfectly valid, however I don't think it's accurate to say you shouldn't care because it's not worth caring about (literal dollar worth). Even a 20% loss after a generation is hardly a loss to me.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

You were making a value based argument for it though (ie. more performance for nearly free) and that typically doesn't pan out from a bang vs buck stand point going from 1 generation to the next. 20-33% loss might be chump change to you but on the high to mid range cards that can work out to a significant chunk of most people's upgrade money. Most people don't upgrade for years at a time for a reason.

I didn't mean to make that point, as you pointed out that doesnt make much sense. All I really meant in the end was its worthwhile to consider resale value. My case is more atypical for sure, where I ended up with almost 4x the value from doing so (and this isn't hard with never ending bundles ;)) but ignoring that specific part of it... anyways I think we figured it out lol. Imo, if you wanna sell to stay current there's nothing wrong with selling within the same generation as the depreciation is quite low.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I would be too if I still had one lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Kweh! Wark! Kweh! posted:

189 shipped + free 835W Raidmax PSU. I could sell the PSU on ebay for 50 dollars or so. (I wouldn't put that thing in my rig.)

Maybe I should just wait for the 300 series and see what's up.

I'm running dual monitors, 27" BenQ @ 1080p, so nothing insane, but the 6850 is starting struggle.

Thanks for all the info. I'm upgrading from a HD 6850, so I'm kind of out of the loop. (Plus I tend to really milk my hardware for years.) I'm trying to keep the replacement under 200USD.

I would definitely wait a month if you can

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

eggyolk posted:

If replacing your motherboard and upgrading your Sandy Bridge 2500K to a current i5 is worth the extra 1 fps in most games then absolutely go for it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2389580

Interesting to see the games that improved though, which is rare info to come by. And really the difference is in online play, which is rarely benchmarked. But when oc'd I think its safe to say it isn't worth the money

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I'm glad there is an actual application for the card, however I can only imagine how many people will buy it for gaming because it has 4gb vs a 2gb 960

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
lol

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Truga posted:

Speculation on wccftech says it's because E3 is a gaming thing and computex will have a ton of other poo poo so they want to go for ~max hype~ or something.

I dunno about issues with quality, E3 is like a week after computex, so it's unlikely they'd delay by just a week if that was the case?

edit: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-300-series-fiji-xt-release-date/

Or not E3.

In that same article

quote:

The Fiji XT GPUs with HBM (memory) will be launching later – around the 24th of July.

While a july 24 launch is more depressing, it makes more sense than a six day later launch date

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
geforce experience update works fine. I'm not sure if its truly automatic, but its as close as it gets.

no uninstall, unless you have issues. Those can happen though, and sometimes its hard to tell, but when it does simply uninstalling everything usually wont help anyway. Nvidia updates often enough where a full uninstall would get a little obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Le0 posted:

Here is my current configuration:

Intel Core i5 750 BOX, Quad Core, 2.67 GHz, LGA 1156
ASUS P7P55D, Intel P55, LGA1156, CFX (ATX)
XFX HD 5870 1GB, PCI-E x16 2.0, DP, HDMI
Intel X25-M G2 80GB, SATA-II, 2,5 Zoll
Samsung HD103SJ (1000Go, 3.5")
Corsair Vengeance (4x, 4Go, DDR3-1600, DIMM 240)

I'd like to run GTA V at 1920x1080, at the moment the game is complaining I don't have enough GPU memory.
Could I just update my GPU and get away with the rest? In which case, is there any recommended GPU?

Yes, although the cpu is getting dated by far the most gaming improvement will be the gpu