Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

BurritoJustice posted:

Maybe I've just been reading too much reddit lately :shobon:. Any mention of someone preferring a 970 over a 290x for power usage reasons is yelled at with "heat isn't a problem with custom coolers", "it is an extra dollar per year on your bill" and "the difference is only 40w under load anyway". Which is a misunderstanding of thermodynamics, an often false assumption of being in america, and flat out wrong, in order.

If I ran a 290x where I lived instead of my 980 I wouldn't be able to use my computer with any sort of comfort.

Ditching a reference 760 for a Strix 970 dropped my GPU temps by over 20C and 5-10C everywhere else in the case. That could be the difference between full CPU speed and thermal throttling if using something like an OEM cooler or a case with less space/airflow. It pays off everywhere to keep the most power hungry component in the system as cool and low wattage as possible.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

mikemelbrooks posted:

Don't forget game companies need to write games with 4k in mind, gently caress peering at a tiny HUD because lazy coders.

poo poo, Microsoft still needs to make an OS with 4K in mind. It blows my mind how the market is becoming saturated with these displays yet the scaling is still trash.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

I actually think that's pretty likely. I think functionally it'll more or less be 4GB of on-chip cache, or at least have a mode which presents itself to the graphics APIs like that. It may expose the underlying memory arragement to OpenCL, who knows, but I really think they'll go with the cache thing first and foremost.

I'd hazard a guess that there'll be a 4GB 390 model (2+2 or 4+0), a 4+4GB 390x model, and 6-12 months down the road a 4+8GB 390xl model for multi-GPU setups.

Jokes on all of you, it will boast an incredible 32MB of ESRAM for maximum 900p fidelity. The rest of the RAM will be powered by The Cloud(tm).

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 27, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Panty Saluter posted:

I wonder if my Gigabyte MB is responsible for these random, untraceable BSODs that usually point to ntoskrnl or something with the hard drives when they pass all health checks. Memory too. CPU is fine with IntelBurn as well.

That's pretty much Gigabyte boards summarized from my years of wasted youth loving around with PC components. Please children, spend more, get legit Intel network and AHCI controllers and don't end up like this man.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

veedubfreak posted:

At 1440 it is. the 980 will usually overclock farther than a 970 without hard mods too.

Remember, 1440 is 1.5 times as many pixels as 1080. And 1440 @ 120 is 3 times 1080 @ 60.

With an overclocked 970 there's a decent number of games that still dip below 60fps at only 2560x1080 with max settings and no real system bottlenecks (4690k at 4.8 ghz). If I had to do it over again I would have sprung for the 980.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 7, 2015

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Druuge Fuel posted:

I've been reading this thread since January and various other places because I want to upgrade my 7870 so that I can start playing Mordor and Far Cry 4 on higher settings and framerates (just 1080p on a Panny Plasma). Multiple people abroad kept telling me there was going to be a cornucopia of upgrading delight in March. So now that I see it's going to be 3+ more months, I'm about to just :bang: and buy something..anything. Would the 290/970 be worth it for me?

Going from an equivalent 760 to a 970, my answer would be yes, oh god yes. They're pretty much twice the card.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Druuge Fuel posted:

I've got an SSD and just got a i7-4790k back in January. I've been waiting on the GPU upgrade and I really just don't want to wait anymore. Mordor plays pretty decent as is but I want to play with the super, shiney texture pack. Far Cry 4 requires a couple of settings on medium/high to be playable at 50+fps.

Prices on the red team look a little better at the moment, maybe I'll do that and sell/upgrade again in December. BAH!

I was in the same boat waiting and just said gently caress it, waiting until summer is too long to be playing games at medium detail. It'd take nothing short of a miracle for the 390X to completely shake up the market like the 970 did, the best we can hope for is a price drop on the 980. We probably won't be seeing any dramatic single card performance bumps until a year out anyway, at least not at anything resembling a reasonable price or power consumption point. I'd be shocked to see any single card that can really challenge 290's/970's+ in SLI from this generation, but who knows.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Second opinion here, Arctic Silver is crap, even if you buy a fresh tube it is probably New Old Stock that has been sitting for a decade.

I put a fresh coat of it on a delidded 4770k and had very bad temps, did it over again precisely and got the same bad temps, finally bought a syringe of Notcua NT-H1 for 5 bucks and it dropped me about 20c doing the same application method a 3rd time.

Between that and the NT-H1 tube having enough for like 20 applications, and being non-conductive while the AS5 conducts, I'd say save yourself the frustration and get the good stuff. Noctua also makes some of the best coolers and they toss in a tube of NT-H1 with pretty much all of them.

The benchmarks puts NT-H1 with the best of them and it's cheap. Definitely one of the easiest pastes to work worth, used it on dozens of machines and never had to reapply it once unlike AS5 and others

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Nice to see the Titan X not sporting a completely obscene price tag, comparable in price/performance to SLI 980's. Here's to hoping the 390 series shakes up the high end, otherwise we'll be seeing $750 980 ti's or some bullshit.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Truga posted:

I read somewhere that radeons use more power, but put less stress on other parts so you end up with a total power consumption quite a bit lower than simply the difference between the nvidia and radeon card.

If that's true or not I have no idea, and I can't remember where I read that. I'll try to find the source.

E: Can't find it now so it might just be something I read on a forum. Probably bogus.

Their 12v demands were surprisingly modest for their wattage, but that shouldn't make much practical difference. Don't listen to anything you read on Reddit,

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Still don't understand why everyone is getting their jimmies rustled, VR still hasn't proven itself viable yet and developers probably won't do jack with DX12 until the feature set is probably a few generations old by that point.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah DX11 still has quite a bit of mileage yet, but still...performance potential gone poof

Hell there were still DX9 releases up until a few years ago, and naturally any developer is going to accommodate the largest possible userbase (DX10's adoption is all the evidence anyone needs). That and there's historical precedent, consumer VR has come and gone before. It's also not unreasonable to assume the 2nd generation of the current VR crop (if there is a 2nd gen, no guarantee) might have completely different hardware demands. Building a system for VR today is about as asinine as building one for Star Citizen.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

xthetenth posted:

However buying a longer term card would be bad if it got obsoleted overnight.

True, but that's just par the course for trying to stay on the bleeding edge, and nothing really happens overnight in the development community. Probably everyone here has been burned by a high dollar GPU purchase that was rendered uncompetitive at the original price point by a new release. However the ambiguity has convinced me to hold off on picking up a 980ti and hang onto the 970 until the dust settles.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

I'm kind of surprised, my OCed 980ti can occasionally drop from 60fps v-sync down to 30 during some Phantom Pain scenes with really intricate geometry, like an oil refinery and parts of Mother Base. This is only at 2560x1080. It's a really well optimized game but I guess that's just too much lightning and polygons.

What are you using to make it display in 21:9?

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should probably look at the Phanteks Enthoo Primo/Luxe/Pro or the Fractal Design Define R5 if you want a midtower instead of a full tower.

The Nanoxia NDS-1 and other mid-towers deserve mention, I found the balance of acoustics and cooling better than Fractal R's (the 4 anyway). Can't go wrong with any of the above though.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's the thing, among a bunch of other improvements the R5 has much better cooling than the R4 without giving up any of the acoustics.

Ah, the R's have generally been pretty iterative, a bit surprised the 5 is a significant improvement to already very good cases. My biggest gripe was always the Fractal fans, they were noticeably louder than the Nanoxia at max speed.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
It's goddamn fantastic there are options for cool, quiet, and understated cases these days. Enthusiast's suffered leaf blower fans and gay UFO aesthetics for too long.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

And just think, in the future that is DX12, game devs will be responsible for their own optimization and explicit multi-GPU. :confuoot:

DX12 is tied to Windows 10, so expect another five years of DX11 games unless Vulkan takes off.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Is there any particicular reason a game can't be programmed for both DX11 and 12? Is that a huge amount of development overhead, that both AAA titles and indie games would rule it out?

It's doable, I belive the first titles supporting it will do just that. It's ultimately a question of whether the compromises going both ways are worth it, but I'd bank on legacy API priority winning out almost every time. Remember DX10? Of course not!

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
On a related tangent, anyone have much luck pushing the 980ti beyond factory OC settings? I can't get anything on my Asus Strix past that without crashing the display driver, messed with everything but voltage.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yes, although its going to depend on what those factory settings are. I comfortably run at 1430 mhz stable across all games and thats considered a little low. But just increase the voltage... the only reason not to is if you have a heat problem

1312 or there abouts is the Asus default, just a smidgen over and it wasn't happy even with 110% power.
I figured the voltage was the ticket, just wanted to make sure I didn't get a bum chip before taking the time to overvolt it.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015
Much obliged, appreciate the input.

Every card I've had prior to this had rather impressive headroom without touching the voltage, naturally was a taken aback a bit by the 980ti's behavior. My old strix 970 and reference zotac 760 will be on SA mart in the next day or so for $250 and $80 respectively for any interested parties.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 3, 2016

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

causticBeet posted:

Can you elaborate on the issues this presents? I'm sure it's a cheap psu but why would it lead me to not boot at all

Fluctuations in output falling below or above thresholds, issues providing power to your devices, inadequate power to the 12v rail (the cheap units provide poo poo for amperage relative to their wattage rating), electrical interference, etc etc. Generally a bad PSU won't even power the system on but I've seen lovely/dying ones do all sorts of weirdness.

You happened to pick up one of the absolute worst power supplies available at a retail outlet, it's straight up imprudent to risk your new graphics card and the rest of your hardware going with a cheap known bad PSU.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

FaustianQ posted:

Honestly though, how does such potentially dangerous poo poo get sold to a largely unknowledgeable consumer base? It's just insane to think you can literally sell a product that is utterly incapable of meeting it's own standards and can cause serious harm to the buyer. I know, farm/lawn equipment but explosive power supplies aren't quite as obviously dangerous or malfunctional.

There's no 60 Minutes expose' or anything to really inform your average Tom, Dick, and Gadddafi who probably weren't messing with PC power supplies to begin with, and no children to think of (please think of the children your average computer builder probably doesn't have!).

I'd imagine anything properly certified from a retailer probably meets safety standards, whether it will meet those standards after a few weeks of degradation from usage is another matter.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Alereon posted:

To be honest those no-name pieces of crap power supplies usually work fine for a few years in a system with a lower-end CPU, no graphics card, and a single power supply. Not that I'd recommend it, but when not loaded they are usually functional.

Don't sugar coat this, the Best Buy special will incinerate him and everyone he cares about.

These type of PSU's are often the blazing heart of cheap GPU-less prebuilt systems that are inclined to break in some other way before the PSU gives up the ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

I've always thought I was fairly irresponsible with money, but buying a 980ti just to tide yourself over till pascal is pants on head stupidity, unless you're a millionaire who won't notice a grand here or there next to the yachts you regularly splurge

I did just this because it's not really a few months until Pascal, it's more like launch in June and actually being able to purchase the thing in August - September when price and availability stabilize. It's pretty much the same story every flagship launch, even more so with any radical architecture shifts which generally have limited yields and the higher likelyhood of design/QC issues.