Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
So maybe this has already been discussed but is that water cooled Titan X ultra actually comming out? I'm hoping Nvidia will drop it to counter AMD's new card. Thats a reasonable enough thing to hope for right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
So is that a no?

loving dammit. All my hopes and dreams ruined. Thanks Something Awful.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
Look what I found.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00935/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X-HYBRID/

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

We told you about that :confused: lol

Well it's out of stock everywhere. And by everywhere I mean Newegg and Amazon. Amazon is citing a 1 to 2 month wait time, what are the odds that will actually be the case?

Because guys.....I think i'm in love. Expensive,excessive and possibly irrational love.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
OK So I have been thinking, 400 dollars is a lot of money. Kind of. What if I just buy a Fury X for now to hold me over until Nvidia releases Pascal and thier own HBM. Then I can sell the Fury X for % and drop the big money on the next generation of Nvidia.

Do you think losing out on the Gsync in my monitor will even matter?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Do you own a card? Is $400 what you have to spend? Previously you implied you were buying a Titan X with water cooling... does you monitor already have Gsync?

Yeah I have a 4k with gsync and a GTX 780 which is woefully under qualified for my new monitor. Ergo the upgrade. I can afford the Titan X Hybrid and it would give me what I want but im wondering If I could avoid paying 100% of the premium and just ride it out on the fury X until Pascal. God I hate how they time these releases, they know exactly how to gently caress with us.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

What gaming needs do you have that a GTX 970 doesn't meet?

Planetside 2 Ultra
GTA V Ultra
MW:O Ultra
BF4 Ultra
ARMA Ultra
EVE Online Ultra (LOL)
Total War: Rome II Ultra

All in 4k.

I want it all.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

El Scotch posted:

How many of those are being hell-choked to death by your cpu?

I have a 4th generation Intel which is doing the job quite well at 1080p. Not sure how well that will carry over to the 4k. I have been trying to put off buying a new processor until Black friday/cyber monday.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
I can't give you guys the exact model of my CPU because I'm not at home but it's a 2013 model.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

xthetenth posted:

i7? I'm pretty sure on most of that the bottleneck would be the res punching my 970 and not my 4790K.

Are you just running a 1080 gsync screen though?

The 1080 does not have Gsync, the new 4K does. The new card will be to support the new monitor. If I get a new CPU I will probably have to get a new mother board as well and then this all just escalates to building a new PC. I'm trying to avoid that...for now.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

The implication is if you have a AMD CPU you are fighting something that cannot be fixed for some of those games. However, a 780 for 4k is inadequate so for the purposes of that part of the discussion a 980ti or (probably) a FuryX is where I'd start.

I don't care what anyone says about this horrible place, it's been 3 days and it's already been worth the 10 dollars for registration. Thank you all for the advice you have given me so far.

With that being said I'm starting to lean back towards the 980ti G1 so I can at least take advantage of the monitors gsync and my Intel processor.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
So I'm going to just jump the shark and ask if Nvidia has mentioned anything about which quarter of 2016 they expect the Pascal launch? We're probably looking at a Computex or E3 debut huh?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
Is it worth waiting for the watercooled EVGA Titan X Hybrid? It runs very cool which apparently enables some pretty extreme Overclocking which might add value and longevity to the card. Thoughts?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

They cool very vermanuallyand allow you to crank voltage to get higher overclocks.

They are all back ordered like crazy though. Would the manually installed kits work just as well?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

Its the exact same product. They said this week they will have stock also at amazon/evga/etc..

Oh thats good to hear. I hope they are sending a lot. I dont have any experience with watercoolers so I want to avoid a complicated instalation

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Gyrotica posted:

980ti SLI'd do you better than an OC'd Titan X most like anyhow.

But for 4k..

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
[quoidea e="xthetenth" post="446888919"]
~5% of 40 fps isn't going to take it to smooth territory. And no, the memory isn't needed or 980 SLI and 290X CF wouldn't beat it at 4K ultra.

I know it seems like there must be something to justify the price increase, but there really isn't, the Titan exists in large part to milk the impatient before the Ti drops.
[/quote]

Any Idea when the Ti comes?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
Oh I thought you meant a Titan X ti. So I really dont need all that DDR5 for 4k? Would Gsync amplify the titan x's capabilities to the point where it justifies the price?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
[http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-ti-g1-gaming-soc-review,1.htmlquote="DrDork" post="446890325"]
No and no. 6GB will do you well enough even at 4k with the current crop of games--and will likely be more than enough until long after you've already replaced it with a newer card down the line.

GSync doesn't amplify anything. In fact, the place where it matters the most is when you've got middling performance: it's not going to make much of a difference at 100+FPS, but it (should) make a noticeable difference if you're struggling in that 40-60FPS range. And even then, it just makes the output seem "smoother" (by helping to reduce the impact of irregular frame pacing).

There is virtually no reason to even consider buying a Titan at this point. Maybe some real niche CUDA implementation or something, but for actually running games it's the 980Ti all the way, no questions asked.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, what do you guys think about the GTX980TI G1?

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

Buy that and enjoy your better than Titan X performance right out of the box.

I think thats going to be the one then. Just cant justify the extra 300 dollars for the titan.

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015

Don Lapre posted:

Nvidia batman drivers are out

If you dont mind haggling you can score a titan x on ebay for ~$800. thats what i did.

There are quite a few on there for around 800....its tempting but Im soo paranoid about Ebay. 800 seems worth it though so i may drop some bids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLFISH88
Jun 14, 2015
Anyone know when Gigabyte might be planning to release more 980ti G1'S to sellers?