Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I figure this is the place to ask this. I have an OCed GTX 970, and I just updated my driver. This would be fine, except I'm suddenly seeing significant screen tearing while scrolling webpages. Is there a setting somewhere to clean that up? Or am I just going to have to deal with it. Monitor is 1080p60Hz native.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Animal posted:

Is PCIe 8x gonna bottleneck the Geforce 1080? I am building a new rig and thinking of putting an m.2 SSD drive which is gonna bring the video card from 16x to 8x. If it's gonna reduce performance, then I'll just get a regular SATA SSD.
I'm sure if you look, you can find mobos with M.2 slots that don't share bandwidth with your PCIEX16. I've got a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5 that has 2 M.2 slots, and if I use one rather than the other, I only lose my PCIEX4 slot. No big loss since I doubt I'll ever need 3-way SLI.
There is an mITX version as well if that's what you're going for.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Overheating hardware fries the internals. Baking heats the surface and lets the solder (which has a very low melting point) reflow. Due to fun physics stuff, the solder automatically beads up on the places where it's supposed to.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Phlegmish posted:

70 is higher than 60 but lower than 80, so clearly midrange.
That puts it "mid-range" within nvidia's newest releases. So as long as you disregard the entire rest of the existing market, you are correct.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Ah. I got you mixed up with the other goobers who were serious about thinking it was mid-range.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Welp. I wasn't planning on flipping my 970 until next year, but I might be doing it sooner if that's legit.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

On the subject of Gigabyte cards being massive, I have a Windforce 970 in my computer right now and LxW is 12.28" x 5.08". The only reason I don't have something jury-rigged to help prop the thing up is that it's resting on my hard drive bay. I just checked and that 1070 on newegg is 'only' 11.26" x 4.53," so definitely make double sure it will fit in your case before you go for it.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's bigger than I expected but any case with removable bays (like the R5) should be able to fit it unless it's a weird slim ATX case or the drive bays are both unable to be removed and running lengthwise in the case?
In my situation, I'm in a Rosewill Challenger U3. And the drive bays are up at the front of the case.
Picture for illustration:

If you look closely, you'll notice that the very end of the GPU is inside my 3.5" drive bay. Also I can never get over how absurdly massive my CPU cooler is.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

sout posted:

Can anyone briefly explain what clock is and why it seems to be so much bigger for the 1070 and 1080 than other cards/what that means in terms of performance?
Clock is the rate at which CPUs, GPUs, and RAM are capable of processing data. More specifically it's how fast the bits can change state from 0 to 1 and back. Someone absolutely correct me if I'm wrong, but in the case of these new nvidia cards, the processors and RAM are smaller/more efficient and therefore more capable of achieving these higher speeds without cooking themselves. This gets us better data bandwidth, or throughput capability, allowing for better/more intensive graphics.
tl;dr: New nvidia cards are new and shiny, and so have bigger clocks, which allows prettier games.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I know this discussion was happening several pages back (thanks AMD), but I appear to have spectacular self-control compared to some people in this thread. I'm waiting for the 1170, though it's fun hearing my non-technology inclined brother wonder why I'm already planning an upgrade. (I just built my PC 2mo back.)

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This is actually something I keep forgetting. When Americans are talking about "standard" GPU prices etc, especially online and with places like newegg, are you including tax or not? I've always seen such a stark discrepancy between products in the US and the rest of the world (experienced in Australia, Italy, and Germany) and just figured the prices were different because of economies of scale, relative purchasing power, and various other market conditions. Should I be mentally inflating the US prices here by 5-10% to account for tax? Whenever I see something like "this GPU will hit the $199 price point" I just times by roughly 0.9 to get to Euros - but it never matches the actual local price range I see.
We generally don't include tax, especially when talking about newegg. The price discrepancy you're seeing is the "gently caress you Europe" tax, except when it's the "gently caress Australia" or the "gently caress Canada" tax, which always seem more painful to me. I wince and cry a little every time I see an Australian or Canadian post a build in the PC building megathread.

edit: Also, for the benefit of the chap above me, the opposite case is true. Sales tax isn't really a thing in a few select states, and thanks to legal shenanigans, companies operating in those states don't charge sales tax when selling online, regardless of the state where the purchase is made.

LogicalFallacy fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 14, 2016

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

So, in light of the announced price drop on the 1080, I figured I'd flip my 970 and get one of those. Upon checking what others are selling their 970s for, I saw that most on eBay are listing for somewhere in the ballpark of $200-$300. Is this honestly a sane price for it? I figured I'd be looking at $100-$150ish. Please advise.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

havenwaters posted:

I've seen them sold on SA mart for $130-$150. Ebay people may be dumb/overpay sometimes? I dunno.

That's what I figured, and after a closer look, all of the ones actually selling are doing so for about $150. Further question, when might we expect said lower price on the 1080 to start filtering down through the merchants? Because if it's gonna take a while, I might just end up settling for a 1070.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Looking at upgrading to a 1080 with the price drop, and I'm between these two right now:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125908
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125936

Is there any reason to get one over the other? IIRC blowers from this generation are actually decent, but it'll be going into a fairly well ventilated case, so I imagine the 3-fan model would do as well.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I've just been testing the limits on my new GTX 1080. I've got my core clock up to 2100MHz, though Afterburner tells me it generally hangs out around 2070 when running Heaven. Only took a +100 modifier from the factory OC. Heaven crashed at +150, so I'm pretty sure that's a no go. Factory OC on the RAM had it running at 5000MHz, and I was a little more nervous about pushing it further, so I've only got it at +250 for now.

About how high might I expect to be able to push it? Power limit's at 110% right now, for clarity's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

I'm on a blower now, and it's only really audible when I'm running a benchmark or the like. I'm sure that'll probably change when I upgrade my monitor, but even then I haven't found it particularly obtrusive.