Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Just a tip for those that have upgraded recently and maybe not been impressed. Try turning on AA in your favorite games if you haven't already. FXAA seems to be free in World of Tanks with my config. Almost looks dreamy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You could compare the stated wattage on the old stuff you had with the new. Also there are many power supply calculators on the internet.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=power+supply+calculator&l=1

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Anandtech totally compared fraps and fcat in their article
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/03/a-new-era-of-gpu-benchmarking-inside-the-second-with-nvidias-frame-capture-tools/

UGH I'm a dummy, Anand just is partnered with tech report and that is their article anyway!!!!!!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Frame buffers and AA are still not free. Look at any benchmarks with a bunch of cards and watch them scale as resolution is increased and decrease.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering why this isn't in tech support? I'm also wondering why you are down scaling games with that card.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Factory Factory posted:

So I've been working on this thing, and I wanted to get some feedback show off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KajdB-eTAYU

Right now it works on a nightmare amalgam of Java, FRAPS, and a RAMdisk, but it works as a proof of concept. What do you think?

The effect seems a bit understated. I remember seeing something like this before and I remember latency and CPU usage being big issues.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zotix posted:

Nah, that's a bit past my comfort level for a video card. I'll either order a 770 or a 780, and when it arrives just RMA the 580. Taking off the outer cover is one thing, removing the heatsink is another.

How much to buy your 580 when it comes back?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
When did this turn into dumb video card question thread?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Fuzz1111 posted:

As I posted earlier, 120hz makes tearing a lot less noticeable because any given tear is only on-screen for 120th of a second. Like you, I only notice tearing when framerate is near 120hz (actually the only time I really notice it is in quakelive - because it has a hard 125fps limit that almost any PC will hit and sit on at all times - the result is a single tear creeping up the screen).
Can't you just do "com_maxfps 120"?

I am wondering why triple buffering is never mentioned? The extra 1 frame of latency?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Heat IS atomic vibrations.

I believe there is also a maximum switching speed of a transistor. Not to mention clock generators.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Judging by that reaction you should probably not post pictures of the inside of your case here.
Also keeping your engine bay clean is good maintenance.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't you think it would be easy to do your crazy person cleanup in a case that looked more like this mediocre wire job than the birds nest that you work in?

(oh yeah, video card thread... RADEON 6850 OC Edition! Still chugging along at medium at 1080P)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I didn't think of running them around the back until I saw a picture where someone did so. I think I'd rather have access to my drives than not though. My SSD is actually hidden behind the motherboard with all the routed cables, so I don't have easy access to that.

Case is a Fractal Design Define R4 in case anyone is interested.

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 2, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I used stock with my 2550K for a little while. I'm pretty sure I got a 2-300MHZ higher turbo boost for free. I didn't have much money at the time and bought a Hyper 212 EVO for 30 or 40 bucks and get the thing up to 4.5. (that is, it will turboboost up to 4.5ghz depending on processor utilisation of the software)

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Why is each cpu/gpu on its own loop? Just for independant control? Pump noise? But then you're paying for unreliability, right? If one loop malfunctions there goes the whole pc right?

Also that's the coolest looking front controller/display thing I've ever seen. I mean, it looks cool at all. Probably like 200 bucks...

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Whats the point of the two fans on the bottom? When the case is closed they are just blowing air at a metal plate.

Oh poo poo, nice catch!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
this is not the parts picking thread.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Try that sentence again, please. Unable to parse.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Eddain posted:

So recently I've noticed that my GPU has been running a lot hotter than usual. Before I was idling at around 37C but now it's above 50C. When I do any sort of gaming it's like 70-90C with full heat blasting in my face (the fans are back/top). The only major change I've done is gotten a 27" Ultrasharp and I'm now on 2560x1440 as opposed to 1920x1080.

I have a 570 GTX. Is it basically overworking itself trying to play games at that resolution at High settings?

Those are acceptable temperatures. You can always brush/blow out the fans for improved ventaliation. Troubleshoot it! Run a game at 1920x1080 and see what happens.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
alternatively; they are so effective at producing these cores that they don't have enough to cut down.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've seen the answer to this question a bunch of times already, didn't find it in the OP though. What's the current recommended driver removal tool? Thanks.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ok, I deleted everything in there. How long is this supposed to take?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Got my Gigabyte Windforce 970 (GV-N970WF3OC-4GD) to replace my Windforce 6850.
Three fans, pretty quiet, seems to idle down properly with my dual display setup. It gets 60fps in world of tanks (lol) and runs the heaven engine nicely. No backplate, but really, who's worried about sagging? It's pretty long, if I didn't have the second drive tray pulled out of my case it would have been a tight squeeze.

Haven't fooled with the clocks yet, played with DSR a little, frankly it's a bit blurry and makes some interfaces a bit too small. I run at 1920x1080 @ 27 inches. Maybe if I played with the smoothness setting.

My most expensive video card ever, but I'm a grown up with a job now so whatever, I'm entitled. If anyone has any questions about this particular model, let me know. I'll report OC results when I have a few hours to gently caress with it.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Quick update on the GV-N970WF3OC-4GD (Gigabyte 970 windforce NOT the "gaming" version).

It's still nice and quiet, I can overclock it to 1281/1420 without touching the voltage. I got a crash at 1450. I can't get too much from memory, right now I have a 40 mhz overclock on memory just as a placeholder.

For other's reference:

970 Reference = 1050base/1158boost
GV-N970WF3OC-4GD = 1114base/1253boost (+64/+95)
My current OC at stock voltage = 1281/1420 (+231/262)

I don't have much reason to go higher at the moment, but I'm sure I'll start playing with it not too far away. My power and temp are not near to peaked out when running with this OC configuration.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that air transfer abilty sounds odd. Do you have a link for that? Is it a density/surface area ratio thing? My understanding of the switch to aluminum is that with heat pipes in the mix it is good enough and cheaper.

Regarding case fans, basically, go front to back with your flow. Does your power supply have a fan that is pulling air out of the case out the back of the power supply unimpeded? Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra bucks on a high rated quiet pair for your machine, you don't want to get loud case fans to get rid of loud gpu fans. Also, find out how many fan headers your motherboard has and where they are.

Anyway, the reason I'm here is I'm wondering if anyone has benchmarked or knows of a performance matrix with Shadowplay that shows different quality/resolution combinations?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
go look at the comparison for other systems with your score. If they match your system then it's probably a normal score. The whole POINT of the benchmark is to show you what your system compares to!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Far Cry 4 for example is nvidia branded, so presumably they got their optimizations in before the game's release, no? AMD does theirs after the fact. If true, it shows how key that process is.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

The name Catalyst Omega is vaguely nostalgic to anyone who tried custom drivers back in the day (Omega drivers).

I literally said "ohhh yeah", out loud after reading this sentence. Before I bing it myself, do you wish to describe what the Omega drivers were?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
He should mess with the fan curve after it gets to 90 degrees. The card is operating within spec.

The thermal paste applied is probably fine it's still gooey, so what could be wrong with it?
Wouldn't hurt to open it up and double check and re-apply.

Basics of case flow: front to back

If you don't know about your fans have you been cleaning them?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ you guys, leave this kid alone! We're from "backwards fan" to "overclock memory" in one move?

He doesn't need a fan. His hard drives are most likely not too hot.

Edmond. If you do buy any fans, spend a few extra bucks for a QUIET one. Get two of them, in fact and replace the current case fan. on the other hand your computer now appears to be in good running order, you don't need to do anything to it.

Good solve team, next time let's make sure we direct people to the short questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3664613

edit: I too strive for bang for the buck, but sometimes it's good enough.
edit 2: isn't there a thread for fan talk?

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 23, 2014

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Get that thing seated right. Is the alignment tab on the end of the i/o plate (wtf do you call the metal thing that holds it in and plugs go into it?) seated properly, and straight? Unplug it and plug it back in a couple times inserting it as straight as you can.

Just fixed an issue with my Gigabyte 970 that was similar to this. the tl;dr is that the heatsink/pipe assembly is bowed away from the board.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2353388/solved-graphics-card-heatsink-slightly-bent-real-problem-gtx-980.html
I didn't think anything of it when I installed it, because the cpu plate was obviously flush. Fast forward to dinking around in my case and since I was already putting new thermal paste on my cpu I thought I'd do the gpu while I was at it. Examining the card, I could see that there is a smaller secondary plate towards the front of the card.

It was very noticeably angled, even more than the bow of the assembly would suggest.

When I took it off I could see that the thermal pads only made partial contact with the row of (I believe) mosfets. I bent that sucker back to true, repasted it and screwed it down. Maybe now I can clock my memory over stock.

Anyway, heads up on this issue.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Do you have other cards that fit properly? Do the metal blanks fit right? You're driving me nuts, figure out how to seat your video card properly. Take a couple pictures, sheesh, you almost certainly shouldn't be sawing bits of metal to make it fit.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Update on my Gigabyte GV-n970WF30C-4GD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125685 (the overclocked one WITHOUT) the back plane. (click on my thread history for other little notes)

I was having trouble boosting the memory speed at all. I bought some tiny heatsinks with adhesive, they were the wrong ones, way too tiny, so I stuck 2 on each of the 4 exposed memory modules on the back of the card (the ones on the front touch the main heatsink. As a result I'm currently running at +400mhz (3905 effective). They've only been at that speed for half an hour or so, but so far so good.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I totally want to support amd. nVidia is evil, but they run like 100w cooler so like, it's a better deal.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Desuwa posted:

pulling an extra 150 watts.

That's only when it is running at full power. The difference in power consumption between them while idling or web surfing is relatively insignificant.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga/15

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 7, 2015

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've had the most success recently with nVidia Inspector. It's like GPU-Z with an overclocking pop out. I also like/don't mind that the way you save settings is that it creates a shortcut. It was easy for me to manage the different speeds I was testing as I went higher and higher.

Also it doesn't look like garbage. I tried the Gigabyte one but I couldn't even figure out how to save settings. The MSI one is a little better, but if nVidia Inspector works for you, then I don't see why people suggest anything else.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

littering your desktop like a crazy person.
NI is less stable compared to utilities like Afterburner.

Use a folder? Delete shortcuts you don't need?

Any source on stability? I've crashed cards with all mentioned software.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hace posted:

Using shortcuts to manage your overclocking profiles is still a crazy thing to do dude.

Explain how. I can argue that using a hosed up non standard gui that lags in all situations is crazy. You can rename, sort and organize shortcuts easily, insert them into your startup folder, and back up your configuration easily. Are you sure you aren't being hyperbolic about your preferred solution being the end all be all? Did you write the msi or gigabyte software? If so, get hosed cause they are garbage.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You probably need to spend a buck fifty on a GTX 750ti to get decent results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
http://bit.ly/1eE6dq3