Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the heads up on the Jet site. I couldn't turn it down, have been waiting to buy a GPU for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

repiv posted:

Get your RX480 hotfix while it's hot!

...did anyone in this thread actually buy an RX480?
I bought a 480, it's supposed to show up today. I got the 4GB for $170 and it might have 4GB more unlockable, so seems like a deal.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I installed my RX 480. I should probably visually inspect it by taking the heat sink off before I flash it with 8GB bios though. I wonder if anyone can come up with a way in software to make sure.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, I think I will give it shot, not for a day or two I think though to make sure everything is stable. Thanks for the link.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 7, 2016

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I went ahead and flashed my 4GB RX480 to 8GB and the higher clock speed. It's the XFX card I got from jet.com for the people that got that deal.

Before:

After:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Zero VGS posted:

Just sold my R9 290x for $220 on eBay, and I have my $170 RX 480 arriving on Monday.

Does anyone know where I can find the BIOS and Flash programs for the 8GB XFX model? I need to download more RAM.
Use this to backup your existing bios and also to flash the new bios:
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2728/atiflash-2-74

I used the XFX bios from this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604567/polaris-bios-mod-rx480/70

Called XFX-RX480-OC-EDITION1288mhz-8GB-RAM.zip 109k .zip

There is another generic bios here: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/184327/amd-rx480-8192-160603-1

After you backup your bios, load one of those and click program in the ATI flash program. Make sure to run it as administrator and reboot when you're done. It's been working great since I flashed it with the XFX one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I clicked on my Nvidia notification email after I woke up this morning and somehow was able to buy the FE edition and my card was charged and I got a confirmation email.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 18, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I guess I got lucky, I didn't really even plan on getting one this morning as I was burned out trying to pre-order a PS5, but I clicked the email link and appear to have successfully ordered one lol.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

So did any human being here who wasn't running some kind of script successfully buy an RTX 3080 today?
I got one, and I wasn't even on the page refreshing it. I checked my email, clicked the link and was able to just buy it off the US nvidia site. Just lucky I guess.

I also got a confirmation email that said my payment was accepted.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Verviticus posted:

i wonder how many scalpers have put up listing with 3080s they dont actually for sure know they're going to receive
That's what I was wondering, seems absurd to put up a product for sale that hasn't even shipped yet.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got my shipping notification from nvidia, so guess it's real, but I won't get it until Thursday. I just rushed through the process as fast as I could and guess it was free slow shipping as the default.

I hope more cards show up for others.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I didn't buy one at 6 AM PT. Rusty mentioned in this thread that they had managed to click the link to the store in the email notification NVIDIA sent out about an hour after the launch was supposed to go live and managed to order one without issue. So I went back to the NVIDIA store to check, was able to add one to cart, and then went through a slow 30 minute process to make it through the checkout process with their backend servers dropping HTTP 5xx errors every other attempt. I didn't use a bot, just a lot of persistence, page refreshes and retries to make it through the order flow manually.

I actually posted a thank you to Rusty about it here after they brought it up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3484126&pagenumber=2187&perpage=40#post508150797
Yep, I got the notification email after giving up trying to get one, so for kicks I clicked on the email link and ordered one without issue, the servers were not even under hard load when I ordered so I must have slipped in right when it was turned on. Fedex says I get mine Thursday.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

triple sulk posted:

It's incredible to me that every other reply to the tweets is "take backorders" which is the easiest solution on the planet and yet they won't do it. It's really looking more and more like AMD may have their offerings out before this gets any better.
They probably have nothing in place to take back orders anyway, and it would just be the same mess, their site would just crash all day instead of for a couple of minutes. The only solution I can see is what someone else already said, sell them on Amazon and even then, the demand is just so high for new tech right now, everything is selling out in seconds. For like 3 months you couldn't even buy a Switch without using a stock site.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I ordered my 3080 on the nvidia site at launch day, was supposed to be delivered today, but literally has not left the fedex facility where it was sent lol. I called Fedex and seems that facility is flooded with orders so who the hell knows when I actually get it. A week with no tracking updates seems ridiculous though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I talked to Fedex on the phone and apparently the location in MN is swamped with orders and taking forever to dispatch. It took 6 days for my card to even leave the facility. I'll finally be getting it tomorrow it looks like.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

reminder that a bunch of people apparently got their cards stolen by a fedex guy at the MN location
I was worried about this, luckily I was not one of them but it crossed my mind when it didn't have a scan for six days.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I still haven't received the card I ordered on 9/17 thanks to Fedex. It's literally been out on a vehicle for three days, but for some reason they haven't delivered it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

fedex guy stole it
I am pretty sure at this point I will never get it, I have never seen anything ship so slow in my life.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I got my 3080 today finally and installed. Was pretty picky about power cables, I had third party extensions and it did not like them at all. Ran timespy first thing to see about stability, seems fine, but didn't clock above 2ghz. Score seems fine, but lots of people with my system that have better scores. Took a full eleven days for Fedex to deliver.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 28, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

victrix posted:

Ultrawide peeps, what's your opinion on it if you've been using it for a few years?

Also what's the story on current freesync monitors, can I use something like this with the 3080?

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV340CK-Pbmiipphzx-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B08BG4GWRL/
I have been using Ultrawide for several years now, and I don't regret it. Seems like the sweet spot between 1440p and 4k and I just think for gaming it really shines. I have an LG IPS with 144hz refresh and it's amazing. I always hated the multi monitor setups, so this gives great real estate for working as well without two monitors.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I want to try the new performance overlay but enabling the experimental features I guess means it has to call home and check for an update which never finishes, I am guessing it's becuase of their site being hammered, but I have tried it since last night. Has anyone been able to turn this on?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

works fine for me. must be your computer
Thanks, I wish I could figure this out.

Edit: Reinstall worked

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 29, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Xaris posted:

Just FYI i had this problem and had to completely uninstall my drivers/geforce-experience, restart, downloaded latest beta-drivers and turned it on and it worked. sounds like just a reinstlal fixed it for you though but that didnt work for me, so i had to do the uninstall -> reinstall route.
I had to do this as well to be clear, a reinstall did not cut it. I had to uninstall, reboot, install.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The HDR is really bad and unusable with the LG, but other than that it's pretty awesome.

DarkestLite posted:

Anyone notice their 3080FE loud as hell? It’s probably because I’m used to my ASUS 1070 that I never ever heard, even during full load, but I got to try it for the first time last night for 45 min or so (Playing Control, everything maxed) and it would kick the fans up to what I assume was 100% quite often and I could even hear it through my headset.
Compared to my Gigabyte 1080 TI, it's really quiet, so I'm pretty happy with the noise so far. Played some BFV and barely heard it.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 29, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Sininu posted:

Which Gigabyte 1080Ti do you have?
This one, it's really loud:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TGAMING-OC-11GD#kf

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Jinnigan posted:

wow is that the build-in lighting on that thing? it's bright as gently caress
It's bright, but not that bright.

Thinking about exploring options to turn it off. I turned on my NZXT lights for comparison.

Also, I have three DP cables, and only one works without the screen turning on and off every 30 minutes for some reason. Really weird, one is brand new from monoprice.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 1, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
This actually would explain it, that's crazy, thank you for the link.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm not complaining, but kind of surprised that a 1080ti can still go for over $400, seems like with the 3070 coming out, it should have dropped by now. Maybe the prices will start going down when more people can get their hands on these cards.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Mine said signature required but the guy just dropped it at the door and left without even ringing the bell which is fine with me.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's heavy but also really sturdy so there is no sag at all in my case, seems completely fine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Malefitz posted:

Yeah I also really want a RTX 3080 but I will gladly wait until this poo poo show is over and AMD has released what they have.

I'm quite impressed with the determination some of you guys in this threat try to get a RTX 3080 right now.
I hope the sacrifices you make by being early adopters will lead to a more stable product later on which I will gladly purchase :v:
I plugged mine in and played games, not much of a sacrifice and I got over $400 for my 1080TI so it cost like $300.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I bought a 3900x when it came out and it was hard to get even then, I can't imagine how hard Zen 3 is going to be to get with all the tech being sold out instantly right now, though maybe the process is better now and they have millions ready to sell.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Watch Dogs looks pretty good and the FE cards come with it, not sure how good a game it is, but the city looks amazing.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You couldn't even get a Switch for several months, not sure what the supply is now, but demand for tech right now is nuts.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

spunkshui posted:

People posting “fake launch” on the nvidia subreddit in a thread with 14000 comments after seeing the dell news.

Nvidia started removing comments just now.

Then they locked it lol

https://reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/j7qgw3/rtx_3080_3090_launch_thread_part_5/

Totally a demand problem, nothing to see here.
Pretty sure this is all community run and not affiliated with nvidia at all.

I mean, it's clearly a demand problem, more people want them than they can produce. I think the issue is nvidia should just be more transparent. There is definitely unprecedented demand for tech right now but no one will believe that if you're not transparent on what your supply is. It's not like nVidia doesn't want the sales, I'm sure they are doing everything they can.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

spunkshui posted:

Pretty sure its still locked. Pretty fast locking for a chill community space.
I don't know what this means, all I was saying was nvidia doesn't run that subreddit. If you want the non locked thread, look a couple posts up.

https://reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/jf0rkb/rtx_3080_3090_launch_thread_part_6/

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hackan Slash posted:

Sure there's a large demand, but all indications are that there's no supply.

The biggest tell is that that EU store that posted they'd received 7%? of the 3080's ordered across all suppliers.

Anecdotally, the three Microcenters in the small hamlet of NYC got thirteen 3080's combined on launch day.
But what if the orders are 90% higher than expected?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Truga posted:

"Players in the supply chain" here is nvidia and nvidia partner PR people. PR people would never do damage control, it's true. Especially not on the internet!
The first claim related to supply was from the Gamer Nexus guy who claimed he talked to several OEMs and retailers in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHogHMvZscM

Maybe he was lying or was duped, but people seem to respect him so I don't know. I'm also lucky to have a 3080 so I'm not as angry about the situation.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Seriously, CRTs were massive and most people had tiny screens with huge bezels, in their peak, people were using 17" or less. It's easy to see why everyone was eager to throw them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

Hang on a sec, I just had a breakthrough and realized that some people might actually be serious about “it’s supply, not demand” and vice versa. Supply is only a problem if it doesn’t meet demand, and demand is only a problem to the extent that it exceeds supply. You can’t separate them, and there are no good forecasting tools.

“NVIDIA failed to predict the future correctly” isn’t really that damning, and tbqh I think over-manufacturing is much riskier for them than coming up short, if it were even possible to make more given current foundry dynamics.

Or I’m wrong and we’re all joking, which would be much more comfortable.
The people who constantly post this every time they see it mentioned in an article mean it's not a real launch in any sense of the word. I think there is some room for both manufacturing issues and massive demand, but it has to be one extreme for some reason. If I had to guess, nVidia knew they could not meet demand, but probably not on this scale. Also they should probably just be more transparent about how many cards they are making.