Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Any idea if this line will come with HDMI 2.1 ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Oh, well: this just gives me more time to build out my new PC. I'm having a tough time deciding on which full-sized tower to purchase.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

I'm confused by how to use this nowinstock site for the 3080s: shouldn't they rename the site to nowoutofstock ?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Fauxtool posted:

its a card for no one. I hope the benchmarks become common knowledge and the scalpers have to sell at MSRP
I was considering the 3090, but after seeing the benchmarks, the product doesn't make any sense for my gaming needs, compared to the 3080. The increased power draw at higher speeds also is a negative.

Why would anyone need the 3090, except to experience some 8K gaming at 60 fps max for the few titles that may support that mode?

Of course, congrats to anyone else getting the 3090 if it suits your immediate needs.

Now I'm very curious to see what the rumored 3080ti will turn out like.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

shrike82 posted:

Jensen explicitly calls the 3090 a Geforce card and mentions the Titan as a separate (upcoming) product

So based on Jensen's statements the 3090 is best suited to somebody like that dude who made the Astartes series, or does a lot of rendering and animation as a profession. And it just so happens the 3090 can also allow 8K gaming for the real enthusiast.

The 3090 behaves like a TITAN-class card for rendering pros, but per Jensen it's not really a TITAN-class card for gamers.

Nvidia should have called this card something else besides the 3090. Branding the card as the next step up from the 3080 will make the uninformed, non-8K gamers think the 3090 is the absolute top-of-the-line Nvidia _gaming_ card to acquire, but not considering how much extra money they are paying for a very mild performance increase over the 3080.

Yeah, caveat emptor, but this is unnecessary product confusion that could have been easily avoided, if Nvidia cared about it's customers and the integrity of it's brand name.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Some Goon posted:

The 'price-no-object' people don't care and anyone who isn't in that class but is still willing to drop $1500 on a GPU without learning what they're buying is so dumb that there's no helping them.

They shouldn't have called it the 3090 because those are dual GPU cards. Years of history thrown out, thoughtlessly.
I agree, but better would have been to brand the card as something like the, "3090cc". The customers would have asked, "what does the 'cc' mean?" and they would come to understand the 'cc' meant Content Creators. Then the primary market for the card, being the Content Creators (per Jensen), would have understood the 3090cc was the top-of-the-line card for them, and the insatiable, starved-for-moar-framerate gamers (like me) would dig a little deeper into the 3090cc details to see if the additional cost for performance over the 3080 was worth it.

As it stands now there will probably be many Content Creators that don't realize the 3090 is best for their purposes, and consider instead the 3080 or 3070 series cards simply because the cards are cheaper than the 3090, with them assuming the 3090 is just a way over-priced gaming card.

I'm not raging personally about it, but seems like a big marketing mistake on Nvidia's part.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 27, 2020

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

fletcher posted:

Fortunately I have some good helpers to assist with the install

Your helper is thinking hard about whether to curl-up inside the new box-like structure or not.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

This unspecified crashing issue that some of the 3080's had, at least before the Nvidia driver updates: did the same problem affect the 3090's, too?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Alchenar posted:

I'll level with you now, I'm not going to be able to help you. I'm here because I want to get that case and that card and it's in my interests to find out if there's a problem and crowdsource a solution for you from the thread now.

e: other uses of a 3090

https://twitter.com/Strife212/status/1311033761119842304

Nice: so with the 3090 you can game while in your other game.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Dumb question: when AMD finally releases their new GPUs for purchase, will that cause the scalpers to lighten up a bit on the Nvidia 30X0-series cards? Or will the scalpers just take all the profits they have made on the Nvidia release and expand their operations to buy up all the AMD cards and start scalping those as well, at about the same spread (between $500 to $1500, depending on the GPU-type and card)?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Taima posted:

Could someone explain why there are a small but extremely vocal group of people who are 100% sure CP2077 will be trash?

Basically everywhere online that someone ever talks about CP2077 there is someone who pops up out of a dumpster and goes "ACKSHUALLLYYYYY" and it is their life's purpose to hate on this game specifically.
There's always going to be critics for a product. Who cares if they don't like it? Their opinion won't affect your gameplay experience with CP2077, which hopefully you and everyone else will enjoy.

Every gaming title will have some flaws, even the surprise megahit Doom 2016, which was perfect and had no flaws, IMO.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Saw an article today about leaked performance for the upcoming RX 6800 XT.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-overclocks-beyond-2-5-ghz-performance-on-par-rtx-3090/

The leaks claim the 6800 XT's overclocked performance comes out with clock speeds equal to the RTX 3090, and to be priced at $649.

Are the leaks credible? If so then LOL Nvidia.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Shipon posted:

lmao big dicked move right there, incredible
That's probably the main technique the guy used to scrounge up enough money to purchase the GPU.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

shrike82 posted:

i haven't been following ebay prices - how much of a markup are the various cards going for?
if you're potentially waiting another 3 months to try to get one, people might be just better off paying the markup
I have an ebay search up. On a 3090 search, sorted by "lowest price first", one sample Zotac Gaming Geforce RTX 3090 Trinity is listed for a buy-it-now (BIN) at $1900, and retails at NewEgg for $1530, so that's a $470 difference, or about a 24% markup.

For the 3080's, on ebay I see an MSI Ventus RTX 3080 10GB Card for a BIN price of $1096, while NewEgg has a listed price of $740, a difference of $356, or a 48% mark-up.

From that very tiny sample the 3080 cards are probably marked up higher than the 3090 cards. Some models of more popular brands, like from EVGA, probably go for higher premiums.

Perhaps someone else can check the 3070 card mark-ups.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

DrDork posted:

It's worth noting that, at a 24% markup, the scalpers are not even breaking even. They pay: $1530 retail + ~$120 tax + $190 ebay fee + $55 paypal fee = $1896. So a $4 profit! But then minus shipping, so they're probably out $20 on the deal. If they're an eBay Top Rated seller the $19 in savings about covers shipping.
Interesting. Within my same ebay search results for the 3090 (and note this was limited to North America, only) I see another 22 listings for the 3090 at an average price of $1950 (various models), so maybe these sellers all came to the conclusion that the phase was over for massive gains in the 3090 scalp, and are now trying to make back their original 3090 card purchase cost, plus all the taxes and fees you listed, so as to break-even.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Gyrotica posted:

If this is a thing, I would likewise be interested.
Maybe people can offer the card-finder services in the SA Market thread, if allowed.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

bus hustler posted:

Does anyone actually find driving from place to place in an open world game fun?
If I was Chris Roberts I would ban your entire family from the internet for such a non-sensical question about important immersion features in a game, like excessively long driving and travel times.

Also I would follow-up by offering you some top-shelf jpg's of my game's vehicles...and then succeed in selling them to you.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 10, 2020

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUL6V0OnM9E

a GTX 1060 seems to be capable of 30 FPS consistently at 1080p Medium, which is pretty good considering
Even the 1080p Low-settings looks decent, and playable. I'd play the game myself at those settings, if I had no better card. Despite all the technical issues reported at least it runs and looks OK for the GTX 1060+ owners.

However for the consoles, and even allowing the console-version release: that's a discussion in the CP2077 thread, I assume.
I wonder if the massive hype and player interest around CP2077 (8+ million preorders?!) will drive console owners to start building PCs.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 13, 2020

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

So the scalped EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra's are at listed now at the lowest average price of $2300, which is up $200 from about two weeks ago.
:capitalism:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Riflen posted:

Someone is writing a software path tracer for Quake. Looks like it's a learning exercise for them, so likely not going to result in a Q2RTX situation, but still, some nice results.

https://twitter.com/lh0xfb/status/1297562712172646401?s=20
Are there any replacement texture sets for Quake 1? It was one of the ugliest looking games of it's time.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I'm getting a stutter watching Prime Video on my PC. Is this likely an Nvidia driver issue? It plays fine on my UHD 620 laptop.

e:might just be limited to chrome. no issue using edge
That happened to me with Prime Video and Firefox about a year ago. I got frustrated after no real help from Prime Video support and tried the old Internet Explorer for the hell of it (before Edge came out), and the streaming video ran great again in IE without stutter.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Lol at the 30X0 series prices now on ebay. The Scalpers may as well band together and start their own ebay or Amazon-like website. Have all sales-participants commit to a "Scalpers Code of Conduct" to help promote the best possible scalped-experience for the potential customers (like me).

Of course scalpers would have a ratings system to help customers decide.

"Wow, I couldn't believe how screwed-over I was on the price. Definitely would get shafted again by this seller: 5-scalps rating A+++"

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 14, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

GPU Megat[H]read - Welcome all new Bitcoin miners

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

If I ran Nvidia I'd just take all the GPUs off the market and turn the company into a big mining farm. Why not?

In other news I went ahead and bought a pre-built Alienware system that had a 3090 already in it, due to recent life events that will take up all my time the next few months, so I won't have time to build my own system. Just posting so you all tell me how stupid I am, but I got tired of waiting and want to play some of the games that I have been left out of the past year.

But I'm also highlighting to others who are waiting for a new GPU, and will also plan to build a system, that there are prebuilt system options available, though this is probably not the best one.

I bought the Dell Alienware Aurora R11 with the Intel 10900KF chip with their RTX 3090 with some custom-designed liquid-cooled solution, termed the "Rad Card". The Ryzen-flavor of the Aurora did not offer the RTX 3090, and only had dual 2080ti's configured instead, for some reason. My custom Aurora system is supposed to be shipped by March 8th.

Here's a link that shows the Alienware GPU-cooling design for an RTX 2080, termed as the "Rad Card" (hells yeah11!). The same design is used for their RTX 3080's and 3090's.
https://na.alienwarearena.com/ucf/show/2135399/boards/gaming-news/News/is-gpu-liquid-cooling-worth-it

The whole package came to $4000, including a 12% discount at checkout by Dell, and I used the savings to buy an extended 2-year warranty. Though the RTX 3090 card included in the package is probably worth $1400-$1500 I was planning on paying scalped prices for it, and noted the GPU prices keep going steadily up the past few weeks. So at the scalped $2500 for a 3090 that leaves $1500 for the rest of the components.

The remaining components were the Intel 10900KF, liquid-cooled, a 1000watt PSU, 32GB RAM at 3400mhz, and a 2 TB NvME SSD, Win 10 Pro and the case. The 1000 watt PSU is overkill but that's all they offered with the system.

I looked at other prebuilt systems like from Cyberpower but the system I wanted would have been $5500, so I just settled for the Dell.

The only complaints from reviews were loud fans, but maybe I can replace those. I plan to put the computer under my desk so perhaps I won't notice any loud fan issues.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Shipon posted:

Ahahah jesus I just looked at the 3090 prices on eBay, $3000+
Holy crap! Just a few weeks ago the 3090's were around $1800-$2,000. That makes me feel better about my Alienware purchase equipped with their oddball 3090. And now the 32GB Aurora Desktop model I bought is no longer offered on Dell's site, but the 128GB model is still available. The 128GB version doesn't seem like a good as deal since they don't offer any discounts.

This is the remaining high-end 128GB model I referred to. If interested call their Sales line to see if they will offer a discount. Maybe the extra memory can be sold off.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/shop/desktop-computers/alienware-aurora-r11-gaming-desktop/spd/alienware-aurora-r11-desktop/wdaurr11mxs

Also note that Microcenter also sells the Alienware Auroras, some with 3090's and some with Ryzen GPUs, just have to check their website to see what's in stock.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 23, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Ok, here's a really dumb question. Let's say I setup a new small business/DBA as "nnnotime's always-understocked Computer Components", and obtained a state tax-ID. Would I be able to put in an order for a dozen RTX 3080s or 3090s for retail sales? That way I could get a card and then sell the remaining?

Just looking at all options here.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

After having no luck finding a 3090-model card at a reasonable price, I broke down and bought a prebuilt system by ABS, from NewEgg, that came equipped with an Asus Strix 3090 White edition, an Asus motherboard, and the remaining parts and case mostly from Corsair. After delivery I checked the cables were seated, and was relieved the system posted on power-up, as my biggest concern was it would be damaged during shipping.

I priced out the individual parts in the build, and figured I paid a $300 premium compared to getting the individual components myself. But the Strix runs about $3400 scalped, so if I instead had bought a scalped Strix and built the system myself I would have paid an extra $800 over the NewEgg system price.

The NewEgg prebuilder subsidiary is called ABS (Advanced Battle Stations).
https://www.abs.com/
Note some of their higher-end models (like the Legend, which I bought) are only featured on NewEgg, or NewEgg's ebay store, and not on the ABS site for some reason.

The point is that NewEgg is not putting all their GPU stock on their site, and instead funneling some GPUs to their prebuilt systems And in these prebuilt systems NewEgg does not appear to be marking up the GPUs to the scalper prices. NewEgg also had a listing for my system on eBay and claimed they had 10+ units to sell. They are all sold out now, but the NewEgg site has a new ABS model already available using an new Asus mid-tower case this time.

Here's the new Legend model listing on NewEgg's ebay store. It's a similar configuration to my Legend, but it has an additional 32GB RAM and a 360MM liquid cooling system, while the version I bought only had a 240mm liquid cooler and 32GB RAM.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Legend...gIAAOSw0Z1frSHX

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Lian Li makes one of the better anti-sag brackets I've seen, plus it's functionally "invisible."

https://www.microcenter.com/product/605934/lian-li-graphic-card-anti-sag-bracket

The little "shelves" can occasionally require modification/shortening if they might contact a fan blade, though.
I need to get one of those. After I got my new system I hunted around the place for 30 minutes to find something else to use for anti-sag for my thic card, as I measure right under 7 inches in height. Ironically the only thing I found that fit was an old iPhone7p box lid. But that will reduce airflow so I need to get a real anti-sag bracket.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

On my Asus STRIX 3090 I am running into brief performance issues with the old title Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, released in 2014.

I'm only running the COD title at 1080p with most graphics settings at High or Extra. The issues come up during the in-game cutscenes, which are not prerendered videos. The character movements and dialog start to lag a lot, but everything runs fine during the FPS single-player gameplay. I have an i9-10900KF that's not overclocked, so I don't think the CPU is contributing to the problem.

For reference here is one of the early in-game cutscenes that lags a lot (featuring Kevin Spacey):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvhFOjbFv8

On my older system with an Nvidia GTX 980, and a high-end Intel CPU from 2014 (not an extreme edition), the COD game would sometimes crash out during these same cut-scenes, which I attribute to the either the CPU or GPU overheating. I would restart the game and play where I left off and things would be fine until the next in-game cut-scene that was too intensive.

Does this sound like a CPU problem or GPU problem? Or maybe this COD:AW title is horribly un-optimized during their cut-scenes? My system's fans and AIO cooler sound like they are ramped up properly when the game is playing (using the Corsair Commander Pro to manage the AIO and fans).

Since this COD game was having the same problem on both older and newer Nvidia cards I wonder if it's a problem with the game title itself, so I don't have to waste time chasing down procedures like underclocking my GPU, which I remember was a discussion topic a thousand pages back or so in this thread.

EDIT: I'll play around with the game's lighting and shadow effects, turn those down and see if performance improves. In the sample video I don't see any bad lag whatsoever, so perhaps it was recorded from one of the console versions, which was probably finely tuned at release.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 20, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Cygni posted:

i googled and yeah, its a thing. there appears to be some fixes though:

https://www.reddit.com/r/modernwarfare/comments/dn8t4g/another_fix_for_the_laggy_cutscenes_on_pc/
Thanks: I didn't even think to google for the issue. The topic you found may apply more so to the newer COD:MW title from 2019, but still relevant to me since I cycle thru all the COD single-player titles while waiting for new game releases.

I GIS'd specifically on Advance Warfare cutscene lag and found a bunch of other suggestions to try as well. From this Steam thread it appears to be some game settings issue and not the hardware, which is probably the same for most of the COD titles.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/209650/discussions/0/613940477967332589/

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Looking around at the prebuilt market since a month ago, some of the prebuilders are giving longer lead times for the option of a RTX 3080 with a customized system.

iBuyPower gives a 6 week lead time for this system configuration if a 3080 is selected, at the link, but they do appear to have 3090s in stock for an extra $1800 if selected.
https://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-Ryzen-7-Premium-Gaming

I checked the CLX prebuilt site and they indicated they had 3080's selectable and in stock for this AMD build:
https://www.clxgaming.com/gaming-pc/gmra00000017mk/configure

I just found this modestly priced prebuilt system by Skytech on Amazon, the prebuild costing $2799, yet it's equipped with an unspecified RTX 3080 ( the listing says the 3080 card brand will vary).
https://www.amazon.com/Skytech-Shiv...6911712&sr=8-51

If 3080s are going for over $2,100 scalped that's not bad price for this Skytech AMD system, though it only has 16GB, which can easily be upgraded.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

So the 3080ti is real. To Nvidia: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/you-did-it-the-crazy-son-of-a-bitch-you-did-it
Is the 3080ti , basically a 3090 with half the memory? Not exactly a 3090 but close in performance.

With the chip shortage I assume the 3080ti's will be more difficult to get than the 3080s. But I wonder the release will put some downward pressure on the scalped prices of the 3090s.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

For my 3090 Strix I'm still having issues with screen tearing with older games, such as ioQuake3 and Cod: Infinite Warfare (single-player).

My monitor resolution is set to 1080p and supports 60hz refresh rate. I went into the Nvidia control panel and put the global setting for the maximum refresh rate to 57 hz, and in the COD game it allows refresh to be set to 60hm or 59.9hz. But I still see the tearing in both games. I also toggled the vsync in game and with the Nvidia settings with no effect on the tearing.

After doing another GIS I see the ioQuake3 has a max fps setting, which I'll experiment with later this evening. But I already tried the max refresh setting in the CoD game with no effect.

To solve the tearing problem for older games do I need to buy a monitor/TV with a faster refresh rate? Or is there some other setting I'm missing? I have plans to buy an LG OLED soon, just not ready to purchase, yet.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

GPU Megat[H]read - The Gee-forccé Arty-ex 3080 Tai-tee-ai-thai-tie-teyneeuhm-minum-mynee-mo is out

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

change my name posted:

He was ripped as gently caress
If you see him trying again ask him for a pic while he's "working". Chad-"Thunder-Thighs"-gamer would probably enjoy making the pose.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2021

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Appears the US House and Senate Democrats are trying to put thru a bill to stop the bot-scalping operations for toys, and perhaps extend to electronic products like GPUs, and the US Federal Trade Commission would have powers to enforce, if the legislation passes through.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/democrats-push-bill-to-outlaw-bots-from-snatching-up-online-goods

No idea if this would help stop the problem, or make the problem worse with some unexpected consequences, such as driving up the sales price anyway, or card manufacturers finding some other selling channel that reduces supply to US brick-and-mortar retailers.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

With my current setup I'm not clear if I need to try DLSS or it's new variants. Not bragging, just the game and picture quality have not given me any reason to complain.

I have an i9 10900KF, 3090 Strix OC, and an LG C1 for the monitor. I'm running at 4K but only for two games so far: Doom:Eternal and the latest few Call of Duty titles (Single player). Next on my list will be Metro:Exodus and 40K title Necromunda, Hired gun.

I didn't enable the ray-tracing in Doom:Eternal since from the demo videos it looked a little gimmicky and didn't appear to add anything to the gaming experience, at least for me. But in both games I have vsync off, and all graphics/texture settings to ultra/max. I believe I have most lighting and shadow effects at max settings, unless the game suggested a lower setting. I have most anti-aliasing settings low because at the 4K resolution I don't see many texture artifacts.

Doom Eternal and the CoD titles surprisingly run clean and look great at 4K/120hz. Should I spend time trying out DLSS, or should I wait until some newer titles come out for more powerful systems in the future?

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The only reason to use DLSS is if you are unhappy with your current frame rate. If you are happy with it, then don't bother.

edit: I'll say that you should probably have V-Sync enabled, G-Sync on, and then set a global frame rate cap at like 118fps if you want the smoothest possible experience with no screen tearing or input lag.
Thanks. From this thread's advice (perhaps yours included, since you give a lot of info) I had set the frame rate cap around 117-118. For screen tearing and lag I swear I have not noticed anything so far. But I can try those settings out for v-sync and g-sync to see if I notice any improvements.

Before getting my new system I would see screen tearing all the time at 60 fps on my old LED and i7 intel system, with a GTX 980 Ti. But now there is no tearing I can perceive with the FPS titles I'm playing on the new system. And I'm seeing pretty intense screen action in Doom: Eternal, playing thru Nightmare and going thru all the Slayer Gates.

I did get some brief screen lag in one place in Doom 2016 with the new setup, but that could have been due to a rare quirk with it's game engine. I forgot to mention I'm also playing thru the Doom 2016 title in parallel.