Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Holy mother of god.
Yep, but good god is it full of really good useful information. Thanks movax and Factory Factory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I was wondering if that was going to happen since it got to be the end of the month and they still hadn't updated the drivers from 12.4, which is a shame cause I have compatibility issues with the 12.4 drivers and had downgraded to 12.3.

Guess I'm not updating for a little while now.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Here we go, we knew Tahiti and GCN in general has headroom, so AMD keeps ramping clocks.
AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition

Quick summary for you: 1GHz base clock, turbo up to 1050MHz, which causes it to beat the GTX 680 in places it didn't before, across the board numbers are up (as you'd expect) and they've even boosted memory clocks.
Idle power consumption and noise are very low as you'd expect from AMD, but the boost in clocks has made noise under load terrible. But this is of little concern, really, because you'll see large fan coolers out from the usual suspects in no time, I'd wager. Avoid the reference cooler.

In AnandTech's testing here are the number of wins/card:
Gaming: 7970 - 18 / 680 - 16
Compute: 7970 - 5 / 680 - 2
Synthetics: 7970 - 4 / 680 - 1
Overall: 7970 - 27 / 680 - 19
Oh hey that's pretty badass, guess I should find some aftermarket cooling for my 7970 and start OC'ing that bad boy.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

movax posted:

So, I feel bad for folks having issues with SR3 and AMD cards...I'm running it on my 460 @ 2560x1600, and with AA off, it looks great and is incredibly fluid. I don't know how much better I could get it running on a 670/680, but I am planning on upgrading "soon".
I'm running a 7970 and haven't had any kind of issues with SR3 and I run it at max everything @ 1920x1080

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

AnandTech has reviewed EVGA's top GeForce 680 SKU, the GTX 680 Classified. It's a fully custom design, which means that it's just the slightest bit crazy. We're talking 14+3 phase VRM (vs. 4+2 reference), and a power target of 250W +/- 32% (vs. 170W stock). It also has an 80mm radial cooling fan that's limited to 55% speed by default for noise reasons, which, despite its efficacy, still can't actually handle 300 actual Watts flowing through a GK104 GPU without toasting the chip.

Of course, if 300W isn't enough power for you, you can flip a tri-mode BIOS switch and disable power targets entirely, which lets the card draw up to the full 375W its plugs allow.

This is not a purchase recommendation in the slightest.
All the more interesting that boutique PC makers are already putting them in their systems and convincing people to order the upgrade.

edit: Though now that I think about it, of course it makes sense that they are. They want to make $$ on the upgrade.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

The fact it disconnects the monitor when you turn the monitor off, in Windows. That's all.
Which is super loving annoying if you happen to use one of your monitors for say, displaying your 360, every time you switch to the 360 input it'll act like the monitor disappeared from the computer.

So all your icons will get jacked up, only to fix themselves when you go back to the DisplayPort input.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Fish Cake posted:

I've never had this issue with my DP monitor and I switch between my DP computer input and DVI PS3 input all the time, nor does it lose connection to the monitor when it's powered off. Weird. I've heard of out-of-spec DP cables causing other strange issues, maybe this is the problem?
Maybe? I bought some DP cables from Monoprice so I don't think they're really out of spec. Do you happen to have a link to where you bought your cables?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

doomisland posted:

This is the only thing I've seen about Sleeping Dogs and I can't tell if its good or bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_NIW1Upu98
I'll semi-hijack to say that Sleeping Dogs is really damned fun and looks amazing on a good card. With the hi-res download things look great and the gameplay and storyline are fun.

I've already dumped 10 or so hours into it and imagine I'm getting near the end and not once have I thought it was a chore to do something mostly because for most missions you don't have to drive clear across the map for no reason.

Plus the characters are done really well both in voice and writing

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Anti-Hero posted:

Not to get too off-topic, but really, only 10 hours in length?
Actually I think I'm way off, I thought I was near the end but I haven't even unlocked the house in some of the other areas so I think I have quite a few more hours ahead of me before it's beaten.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

I had to look it up: AMD produced a reference 7970 GHz design, but all the board partners decided to stick the higher-binned GPU straight into their existing 7970 semi-custom and custom designs. I guess the reference 7970 GHz went the way of the Z75 PCH.

:shrug:
So would that be a good or bad thing that I have a AMD reference 7970?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I got a new aftermarket cooler for my 7970 because with my new case I realize just how loud the damned thing is.

I don't think I've seen so many goddamned RAM heatsinks that I know are going to be a bitch to put on because they're so tiny.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

grumperfish posted:

You might want to pick up some sekisui thermal tape off of eBay to attach the heatsinks with. I buy a big roll of it occasionally, as the more-common 3M thermal tape you can buy is pure poo poo in comparison and I don't trust it to hold up heatsinks over the long-term.

Make sure you also have heatsinks for the PWM/voltage chips for your card if it doesn't have a separate PWM heatsink already (RAM sinks aren't expressly necessary, but leaving the PWM chips bare could kill the card). For the VRM/PWM section I like to use Enzotech MOS-C1's since you can cut them to whatever height you need with nothing but wire cutters.
The Accelero 7970 I picked up doesn't actually have 3M tape they instead give you a two-part glue to attach the RAM/PWM heatsinks so I think I'm going to try using that stuff since it's here and I don't wait to wait even longer to get it attached.

Of course there is no manual in the actual packaging and you have to download it, but I'm actually going to use this as a more visual guide on how to install it.

Thankfully I have a 2nd 7970 that was sitting outside my system so I don't have to be without a computer while installing it.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

TressFX update: maybe if Nvidia had made it it would have been good
Eh, I think it looks pretty decent on my 7970, the biggest issue is that there's this force field around the character model so the hair appears to hit the shoulders about an inch above where they really are. From behind it looks pretty convincing, but when they do cinematic stuff it becomes pretty glaring.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

spouse posted:

ANY amount of movement while zoomed in with the bow causes Lara's hair to go like there's a hurricane going left and right. It's kind of hilarious. It' looks fantastic when zoomed out, though, and I only lose about 5 fps with my 7870 xt.
I've also had it where it completely disappeared coming out of a tomb, which looked really amusing since she seemed to turn into a librarian with a bun on top.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

spouse posted:

That's not it. It just felt weird and unfocused, and made me feel dizzy and nauseous to look at the screen. I usually play games with AA off or low and Vsync off and both were on for the test.
That could simply be because of how they handle every interaction in the game by keeping you in a FPS view and continually bobbing that view up and down as you do various interactions.

I know for myself I have a similar reaction and I rarely ever get motion sick from any videogame let alone anything in the real world.

I don't believe there are any scope's that are up permanently but you could try taping a small circle to the middle of the screen and focus on that while the game is going on and having you say climb up towers.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

spouse posted:

So, I bought that Sapphire 7950 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202030) reference a few weeks ago, and it's got a blower. It runs hotter than I'd like it to (and is loud as gently caress at high speed), so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Accelero Xtreme, or any iterations of it? I don't really think I have the money for watercooling, so this looks like a decent alternative to the blower.
I put the Accelero Xtreme 7970 on my reference 7970 and it was goddamned amazing how quiet it became. Yes the install took a while, but so long as you follow one of the guides found on the internet it wasn't too bad.

Just know that your card will be out of commission for about a day while you make certain all of the pastes dries to 100%.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Is my videocard dying? It's a 7970 that I've had for a while, the temps are pretty low since I put the aftermarket cooler on it and I'm running the 13.5 beta drivers.

What's even weirder is it's only Firefox that exhibits this tendency so far, and I haven't had any glitches or weird things happen while playing games.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Killer robot posted:

I've had this happen too, and have assumed it to be a driver thing since it's seemed to come and go with driver installs.

Klyith posted:

Same here, though mine only makes glitch squares in the tab & location bar area. I suspect turning off hardware acceleration would fix it, but so does 1 alt-tab. I'm pretty agnostic over who is to blame, AMD or firefox.
Ok cool glad to see it's not just me then. I've since gone back to 13.2 beta7's which I had installed previously.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

zenintrude posted:

How do I completely remove Catalyst/AMD drivers from my Windows 7 machine? I ran through the uninstall utility, there doesn't seem to be any Catalyst/AMD installations on my computer and yet AMD Driver Detect tells me that I have the latest drivers installed and I can still run Borderlands 2 @ 1080p with everything cranked.
You mean you ran the AMD Cleanup Util and it still left something on your computer?

If so wow, I've run that program probably 20 times and never had it leave anything because I'll reboot and be greated with a lovely 800x600 screen until I re-install. If those haven't worked you may want to try downloading DriverFusion and seeing if that can completely remove things.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

havenwaters posted:

Make sure Advanced Physx (or physics however they have it in the menu) is turned off since that's Nvidia gpus only. If you have ssaa on, you could turn that off too.
The Physx stuff I believe is defaulted on so make sure to get that quick, I had to re-install and got bit by it. As soon as I turned it off fps went back up to normal for my 7970 and sit around 50 or so with almost everything else turned up.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I'm having a weird issue with my 7970 at home. I upgraded to the 13.8 beta drivers, and almost instantly I was unable to get a bunch of games I just installed to run because it would attempt to start the game at fullscreen with a different res than my desktop, at which point the game would minimize and I'd be looking back at my desktkop.

Thought it was the 13.8's so I downgraded back to 13.6 I had before, same issue. Eventually the only way I can get games to start up the first time is set my desktop resolution to whatever the game starts up as, normally 1280x720 (or manually edit .ini files), then boot the game up, change it to windowed and then go back and change my desktop res to 1920x1080.

Has anyone else seen this and/or had any solution to the problem?

edit: Forgot to say, before it would switch to the crappy lower res, with moving my regular windows that happened to be up and position them oddly, but it would at least show the game at that resolution so I could go into the options and change it to 1920x1080

real_scud fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 7, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's likely an issue with Catalyst Control Center. I think I might have had this problem before with my own card and there's a setting on it that's causing the problem. I think it might have been something to do with GPU display scaling -- in any case, I just uninstalled CCC and never looked back. Have only been upgrading drivers (and using RadeonPro) ever since. gently caress CCC.
Hmm guess I can try that tonight cause goddamn is it annoying as hell.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Jan posted:

The GPU scaling option that cannot be changed unless you are not at your native resolution! :bravo:

RadeonPro is nice, but it keeps giving me errors on start. Sometimes it says it cannot connect to the ADL library, sometimes it says some DLL is missing, and pretty much all of the time if I have it start with Windows it'll pop up a dialog about not having to start the 64 bit executable. It's kind of annoying.
Really? I didn't see that it was unselectable last night and I managed to change it, of course changing it didn't fix the issue at all.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

The Lord Bude posted:

I agree with you entirely. I've done the jet engine rig thing before, and it's something which I'm no longer prepared to tolerate. I'm waiting for the gtx780ti.
To be fair, there will be aftermarket coolers that come out really soon and people will then integrate them.

Hell I got an engineering sample 7970 back in the day that with my old case I didn't notice the jet engine sound while using it, and then I switched to a new case and noticed "Holy poo poo my gpu is loud as hell."

I promptly went online, ordered an aftermarket solution for about $70 and it's quiet as can be now.

I imagine people are getting all hyped because they can get really good performance for their buck now, and then in a month or two get a near silent card.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

magimix posted:

1080p, 60fps capture, with no apparent impact on running performance at all that I could spot - and the video quality is fantastic. All in all, better than anything I've tried previously. Very impressed!
I kind of want to know how it is in comparison to Bandicam which is a pretty drat good screen capture program that doesn't have a lot of overhead.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

It does all encoding using the GPU's built-in h.264 hardware encoder (think QuickSync) and stores a 5 minute backlog in RAM. The only overhead is transfers to RAM and, when recording, writing to disk. It's pretty loving boss!
Yeah so I imagine it'd be even less than Bandicam, which tbh if you have an i5 or something decent has little to no impact on almost every game I tested it on.

Either way it's pretty loving cool.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Grim Up North posted:

Does ~Raptr by AMD~ automatically push your your data into the cloud? You have to opt-in into that, right?
You do.

Of course I installed it just to see if the streaming stuff would work and as soon as I hit the 'stream' button the program crashed.

I'll probably uninstall it at some point, most likely after a reboot when I realize it's even installed at all.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

El Scotch posted:

Or just wait for the custom coolers. :downs:
Apparently you don't even need to wait since the card pcb's are still the same from the 7970 and people have been using the Arctic Accelero III to get a much quieter solution.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

Just listed my 2 week old 7970 GHz edition for $399 Buy It Now. Come on bitcoiners!
Let us know if you sell it because if it does go I'm going to list my 7970 with ACIII cooler on it for that much or slightly more.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Factory Factory posted:

Here's what the cooling system looks like for multiple 100W MXM modules:

That reminds me of when I worked at Alienware sometimes I'd get a loaner laptop to work on and it was a SLI m9700. That fucker got so damned hot after an hour of just regular usage I wondered how anyone could ever use it to actually game on.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

This is weird, all my research says that the latest gaming behemoths like Alienware 17s and 18s and Sagers are actually very cool and super quiet. Maybe they've come a long way in the past year?
Maybe, it probably helps that the gpu's themselves have gotten better at heat management and not putting out quite so much heat. That and they're not being made by little old Cuban ladies.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Well hooray, went to finish a level in the Talos Principle and my screens suddenly went solid colored. Rebooted still nothing, removed my 780 and used the mobo video and I could see the BIOS.

So happy that a less than a year old card decided to completely kick the bucket.

Thankfully I have my old 7970 to use while I RMA this 780. Part of me wishes I wouldn't get a 780 back and instead would get a 970 or 980 buuuuuut I know it won't happen.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Here's a question I'm wondering. I can currently get a EVGA 970 FTW+ for about $269, should I go for that instead of say a slightly less oc'd 970 from Gigabyte or MSI?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Some Goon posted:

Linus's people did it once. It worked great in the short term at least. Don't remember which video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFXyyJyEtVI
Only because this came up in my recommended not too long ago and I thought it was fuckin hilarious.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

DOOMocrat posted:

Don't get the Area 51m; I got one when these sales first started and the heatsink was warped from the factory. I don't have it anymore.
They've always been that way. I worked at Alienware many, many moons ago and at one point I was given a 51m as a desktop replacement while mine was getting something fixed. That fucker got so goddamned hot no matter what you were doing.

Does appear that we're barrelling forward at full steam to the announcement happening very soon.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

mcbexx posted:

Is this snark? Graciously admitting defeat while trying to save face?
I can't even tell anymore.

https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/1301173699974967296
I know this is bringing up old poo poo, but I worked with Frank for a while at Alienware and this is him just being psyched because he's a gamer, no attempts to save face or anything like that.

Dude is also nice as hell and can hopefully help turn around their consumer GPU's

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

"Won" the right to buy a 3090 from CCL here in the UK, but it took almost a week to actually get them to take my money and ship me a card.

It came and it is definitely a helluva upgrade in size from my 980ti

But because the 011D-XL is like a tardis and massive inside once it's installed it doesn't actually look insanely out of place

Nice to be able to go back to running absolutely everything completely maxed out on settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

funkymonks posted:

Are you satisfied with your temps and fan noise with this setup? I’m thinking about moving away from my custom water loop and basically doing exactly what you have here.
Yeah it's perfectly acceptable. The biggest downside I've found so far is that I used to use the MSI Dragon Center, since I've got a MSI Z490 Godlike, to manage some custom fan curves for all my fans and now that I've plugged in the Ventus it's removed a lot of that fine granularity and I instead get a rather crappy Frozr AI page that doesn't let me control the speed of each individual SYS_FAN header on the board. But I'm also being lazy and haven't booted into the BIOS to see if I can simply set back up my curves there.