Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
For what it's worth, I just got one of the EVGA ACX 2.0 970s and I can barely hear it. I tried Far Cry 3 for a while with all the settings turned up, and even when it ramped up it was still quieter than my 5870. And this is without the firmware patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

TigerDirect seems to be clamping down on requests for game vouchers on orders made before 10/20.
I got mine from NewEgg for a 970 I bought the last week in September, but the customer service agent made it clear that this was "an exception". The gravy train may be coming to a halt.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BurritoJustice posted:

By all accounts they are all lovely. Hilarious.
They're not lovely. They all do a perfectly adequate job of cooling the card. Just because it's maybe not quite as good as other cards doesn't mean it's some kind of total failure.

Maybe it's just because my last card was a 5870, but my EVGA 970 seems pretty quiet.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

BurritoJustice posted:

By "maybe not quite as good" do you mean its up to 10 decibels louder and 10 degrees hotter than other custom cards you can get for the same money. How is that not lovely?
Because when I'm playing a game I don't notice the fans and I certainly don't notice the temps.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Rastor posted:

This is sort of interesting: ASUS is releasing a GTX 970 with a blower cooler and calling it a "GTX 970 Turbo":

http://www.techpowerup.com/211252/asus-announces-geforce-gtx-970-turbo-graphics-card.html

So, the Mirror's Edge edition?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I call shenanigans, nobody willingly touches a windows phone, not even while it's in the plastic cradle bit of its packaging.

Posting from my Windows phone. :)

Trip report: I bought an MSI 980 Ti and it ended up costing me $800. It was a half inch too long for my case so I had to go buy a new one. So long, old Antec Solo, you were good to me.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Hubis posted:

Quote this post if you voluntarily declared any out-of-state online purchases in your IRS filings this year

Yes for VA state return.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Tommofork posted:

The fe looks like it was designed by someone who really wants to have sex with a stealth bomber.

It's made out of polygons. In the future, nvidia and AMD will compete on who has the most polygons on their shroud.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

PerrineClostermann posted:

It's like legos, dude. Here's how to install a GPU:

If your case has something covering the slot in the back, remove it
Put card in slot
Screw it to the case
Plug in any power adapters
Install drivers if necessary

Literally that easy.
He said he was worried it wouldn't fit, which is something that can happen. My 980Ti was a half inch too long for my case, due to an unremovable drive cage in the way, which is how I came to purchase a Define R5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

surf rock posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a stranger or more depressing business.
I remember a JeffK article once where Fry's was referred to as a museum of filth.