Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

The Witchers excessive tessellation might be due to CDPR configuring it poorly.
Bingo. It was pretty much a last-minute implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

You should probably know that aftermarket vs. aftermarket, the 970 only gives about 5% more performance than a 290 non-X.
The real reason to go with the 970 is the lower TDP, really. I have a problem with my wall socket that going over 550w provides laughs and tripped circuit breakers. Long story.

Which is why I'm really interested in what the R9 380x is since it's the second version of the more efficient Tonga, if it isn't delayed to November or so :smith:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

The 3.5 gig thing is also almost completely irrelevant at 1080p.
It'll matter in a couple years when 2.5k monitors start costing $300 and have lovely 6bit panels, but by then you likely would have replaced it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Tonga XT is suspiciously missing from the launch lineup and driver leaks. 380X would be a competitive card between the 960 and 970 that everyone has been begging for for 9 months, so of course it'll never see the light of day.
:smith: This is teeth-gritting.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Etrips posted:

600W should be more than enough shouldn't it?
Not a PSU that old.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tanreall posted:

We can only hope the next few days are rife with this sort of entertainment. It would be the best release AMD has ever had.
This could be a case of broken street date in which case there's at least one lost job/arrest over this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

Sounds like AMD is withholding 300-series review samples from the press, and employing fanboy-based marketing instead:

https://twitter.com/ryanshrout/status/609437983134089216
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-shows-radeon-r9-300-series-cards-to-red-team-plus_165838

If that's not a bad sign I don't know what is :eyepop:
:doh:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Deadly Hume posted:

I feel like I'm just waiting a few days to decide I'm going to go Green this time around anyway.
Man I sure wish the 960 wasn't loving garbage

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm gonna have some great fun trying to wrangle the short 970 cards for my case let me tell you

Bleh Maestro posted:

Best buy is so bad. Please don't ever change.

Edit: Oh wow it's just the 390 non-x and they charged $450??
Best Buy price so you can take 20% off of that for the microcenter/online store price, and no, that's the 390x price.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Rebranding the 290 -> 390 was stupid. They should have made them the 380s and just kept the "Fury" for the 390's.
Which is something they did for just about every card below that :suicide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Goddamn it, what am I going to do for 1440p gaming AMD? There better be a Tonga XT, I swear to loving god. Help me I'm angry about video cards.
same

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Well right now they seem to be performing worse than if they were literally 290s, so it seems like something's missing.
Best case scenario is that they actually did something different with the cards and a driver update would possibly at least make it less poo poo, whether it was switching them over to GCN 1.2 or just simply more power efficiency

Worst case scenario is that they hosed up the fabrication process, which I don't think would be possible since AMD has always been using TSMC since the 200 series.

I'm gritting my teeth on finding out why Tonga XT is delayed, personally.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jun 13, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Did previous rebrands keep the same PCI ID? That seems weird.
280x keeps the 7970 ID

I'm just hoping for wattage statistics but this is just not very good at all. :smith:

Plus the card everyone else is waiting for (Tonga XT/380x) is MIA

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, they screwed themselves hard with the construction cores. Here's hoping they'll be done with their pentium four phase soon.

I have a feeling that AMD got hosed by two key things not going to plan. 20nm and HBM both seemed to be important to their plans, and both didn't really work.
20nm making GBS threads the bed at TSMC more so. HBM is something that needs to be tried at the very least.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gwaihir posted:

The "Woe is the Consumer AMD is dead!" routine is some serious melodramatic hyperbole, jesus.
I remember when everyone was doing this in 2006, that was pretty funny

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Also those cards generally do look good.
All the Nano has to do is cost ~500 dollars and it's my next card. Small cards rule.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

cisco privilege posted:

Lots of bad blood there after the 8xxx-series chipsets imploded and Nvidia pretended like they didn't know what was wrong.
oh god, details on this

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

So the FuryX is the same price as a 980ti, and leaks are putting them at roughly the same stock performance, but I cannot buy a FuryX without also investing in a whole new monitor and dumping my QNIX because they made the idiotic decision of not including a native DVI port on the card. Makes the choice fairly simple.
I'd imagine when the cards that aren't AMD-built show prototypes are made, there'd be more display options than "all the displayports"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

With the performance on Skylake I'd say this will happen far, far sooner. OEMs are probably salivating at the thought of putting out more super-small pre-builts that don't suffer from anemic IGPs.
An HBM-equipped AM4 APU based on a low-power Fury/Arctic Islands GPU would be real interesting to see, though we probably won't see that until at least halfway into next year so cheaper Iris-level graphics on Skylake that have an actual chance of outdoing GTX 750s will have to tide them over.

If there's a larger amount of HBM on the APU, we could see some pretty interesting SOC setups (4-8gb Liva-sized Steam boxes, anyone?)

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 18, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Huh. Wonder what the hell's up there. I haven't taken much look at kitguru recently. Are they the guys who put up the piece right before the E3 thing where they took a titan, saw how much memory got allocated at totally arbitrary settings with widely varying AA levels that put VRAM use right between 4 and 6 GB and declared that every byte allocated was necessary? If so, that was a lovely hit piece but shame on you AMD, let the performance results speak.
[edit: efb]

...in which case I still don't think it's a valid reason to withdraw a review sample.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

How long is it until we're seeing an Omega-like driver fork? Pretty soon I'd hope

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

That seems like madness seeing as some of the design wins they had recently are because they have ATI onboard. Xbox One and PS4, for example. Additional to that, although the rebrands were tasteless and tacky; at least they make graphics cards someone would want to buy. It's the AMD CPU business they should be fixing. Oh, and getting Fury out in all forms as fast as possible.
pretty much this

sauer kraut posted:

Breaking up that way is unlikely after banging the APU drum for years and subsisting on integrated console chips.
You can bet your rear end that it's the high margin server/professional suits wanting to run away from the peasant gaming brand, and customers who're only satisfied with the very best for 150$.
The problem is that the server/professional suits don't seem to be the people making the current stream of revenue so to listen to them especially at a time like this is ?!?!?!?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

if you want a picture of the future, imagine a $3500 pc running furmark forever

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

Pretty telling about AMD's stature in the marketplace that GameWorks is appealing to developers even given its apparently-deleterious effects on AMD performance.
I can't wait until GameWorks code manifests in console releases and bricks millions of bones/ps4s that'll be the chuckle of a decade

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tanreall posted:

I'm more surprised that AMD has 25% CPU share on the steam hardware survey.
AMD cpu/apus are common in $300 computers and have "good enough" levels of performance for that market segment

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

Also, there's a pretty wide gap between the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 960. Has anyone heard anything about a GTX 950?
there's the gtx 950m, which is basically a gtx 750 :eng99:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

What seems to be consistent is the minimum FPS for some games falling when overclocked. There must be some aggressive throttling going on.

I'm not sure of the benchmarks after this:

There's no loving way a 960 should be within spitting distance of a 980ti.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe someone typoed and it was supposed to say 980? :laugh:
You would think, but there are independent 960/980 results with proper clocks and everything on this Firestrike bench:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

El Scotch posted:

I sure hope AMD can whip out some driver/bios magic in the next few weeks, for their sake.
I'm more hopeful about the form factors HBM will give us in the long run. The age of foot-long video cards should have been done long ago.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

In my opinion AMD introduced the new HBM stack in the wrong order - the high end card shouldn't have come so soon. Fury Nano at a good price would have been a better product, and then boom, throw out Fury X when DirectX 12/Vulkan hits its stride, and their drivers are no longer hamstringing the poo poo out of their cards.
Unfortunately, the market demands flagship cards first, which is why Nvidia shuffled their Maxwell test bed (750ti) in a previous gen line instead of calling it the 940/950 or something.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Odd. I wonder why they didn't go with Tonga? Yield problems?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

They probably in all reality needed the extra month until the non-X fury comes out to really finish the Fury X too but really needed to push it out the door?
AMD's marketing department works in strange, mysterious, and hilariously counterproductive ways

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

The nano could still be interesting? Right guys?

At least I still have a reason to :f5: until then!
The Nano and regular Fury are less likely to be hilariously throttled but the Nano is going to be more interesting as it's supposed to be slightly better than a more efficient 290. If they manage to pull that off and price it below $400 there's already an interesting card.

Sucks about the voltage locking though. I'd have figured they'd lay off on that at some point in a timely fashion.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Edit: oh, and they need to stop rebranding old cards with no appreciable changes
A process shrink would have done the trick for old GPUs for the most part but that's no longer going to happen after 14nm for quite a while and everyone was stuck at 28nm for so long.

There also needs to be a successor to GCN, as there was a successor to the Fermi-Kepler line.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

WOW! AMD does it again, with the best price per performance cards on the market!

A $550 card with a $100 water cooler that is small form factory, attractive looking, on par with the 980ti (aircooled) and even out performs it in some games!

No shame here, it's an amazing deal. Who says it has to slay the Titan X for half the price! LOL, let's be real here. It performs almost as well as a competing card without a water cooler and gentle typhoon for the same price. That's good ole AMD!

It's good to see the Fury X uses all 4gb of memory, not just 3.5gb! LOL

I ordered two Fury X cards this morning. Can't wait to run mine in crossfire!

10/10 Would buy again.
:gonk:

I'm afraid of reading the AMD subreddit before the Nano hits. I don't think I can read the anguished fanboy tears manifesting as justified ill-thought-out purchases.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

I have a gut feeling that the Fury X is missing out on a lot of its potential performance due to less-than-optimal drivers. I don't have any proof to back that up, though.
That's pretty much the case for any AMD card upon release for the last 3 years. The real question, though, is how much better it could actually be with improved drivers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Is it because it's got kind of inconsistent performance? Its performance being good sometimes and sometimes only really scaling properly at 4k is messing with me.
It seems to also be throttling itself when overclocked, and unlocking the voltage through a BIOS hack does strange things like throttling back to 300mhz and not going beyond POST

It really needed another month in the oven.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Jesus that'd be a great price for a 970.
EVGA B-stock has one of those at 260-270 every couple days

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It does mean that we may get non-reference fury Xes :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

StabMasterArson posted:

My GeForce GTS 450 is getting real hot and general not being very useful anymore. I'm a horrendous poor however so cannot buy anything new or decent, should I get another 450?
e: should probably note its the DDR2 version
if you really really really need a video card for 50 dollars i'd save 10-15 dollars more and get an r7 250 anything lower is not worth bothering with at all