Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
So over the past week, the GTX 760 I've had since 2014 seems to be dying -- it could still output video, but I was stuck at 800x600, and the video had all these horizontal green lines going across the screen. Device manager said that it had "detected a problem", or something like that, and I tried updating drivers a few times and it could never finish the installation.

So I was willing to accept that, but now that I've waded into the current GPU market I'm suddenly wondering if maaaybe it's a little too early to give up on this thing just yet??? Is there any hope for this card, could it be fixable heating issues? I'd be willing to open it up to apply new thermal paste and give it a good cleaning, if there's even a chance it might be salvageable, or do the symptoms I described mean it's just toast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Hasturtium posted:

I suspect it's dead - that sounds like failure at a hardware level. Maybe bad RAM, or a memory controller problem, or something else resulting in those symptoms. I've got a spare card I can let go of on the cheap if you need, PM me. I don't know if it's as fast but it could do in a pinch.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right, I was just hoping someone might convince me otherwise... Anyway, I've got integrated graphics for now, so I don't desperately need a card or anything. Thanks for the offer though

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
lmao, just lmao. I entered the EVGA queue for a 3060 back in... May? April?? I don't know, I haven't really thought about it since then, and in the meantime ended up getting a Series S to suit my gaming needs. I figured they'd never actually get through the queue before the product was discontinued, but I finally got the email this afternoon, and placed the order. The price is $399, which I'm pretty sure was marked up from $329 when I first entered, but still, a GPU at MSRP... imagine that!!

So if anyone else is wondering what the turnaround is on that queue, at least for the 3060, I guess it's about 7-8 months?!?