Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It looks like every new model Nvidia card comes with a free copy of Borderlands 2, so if you were going to buy that anyways then the card is $240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-SH886A-Tesla-2070-Graphic/dp/B0045FCFV8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1356386260&sr=1-5

I was looking at something for a friend and this got my attention. Can someone tell what this is and why I see window blinds? Is this the future of card design?

It's a GPU compute card designed to fit into a HP rack mount server. If you look at other Tesla cards they come completely enclosed while this one just has a giant heat sink without a fan on it. I assume it would sit in a spot where the airflow from the system fans would hit it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

None of Dell's non-gaming computers are designed for a gaming card, I'm kind of surprised you could even fit that card in there.

Speaking of Dell computer and completely off-topic from gaming, if you need multi-monitor support in any of Dell's small form factor or ultra small form factor designs a fanless AMD 5450/6450 with the low-profile bracket fits perfectly. The 5450 can play Minecraft, and apparently the 6450 blasts the 5450 to bits.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6450-caicos-blu-ray-3d,2920-3.html

Too bad we have a stock of 5450's. :(

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

A bit of context along those lines: Catalyst and Nvidia's drivers are each about the same size as a Windows 95 installation. Graphics drivers are practically an entire OS.
A lot of that are all the optimizations for individual games. A while back somebody was showing a screenshot of the games includes for some reason, and one of the games listed could not even run on modern systems; they never take anything out.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't the issue with PC gaming more to do with different hardware and not being to able to optimize for one GPU as opposed to CPU power?
They have to work around possible bugs that can come up with different configurations, in addition to having to go through 3rd party APIs. In a 2011 interview about Rage (the game) John Carmack mentioned they had to talk to Nvidia, ATI, and Intel so they could get Rage working correctly on the PC. They did fix the issues though, but it's just another hurdle.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

At the same time, an i5-3570K could probably do all the work of eight Jaguar cores even without hyperthreading, just by juggling threads.
A bit off-topic, but this made me remember Haswell and GT3 graphics. Having good entry-level graphics in the processor blows my mind. I know AMD has something similar, but they will go bankrupt. Maybe Nvidia will buy them up and we'll get to have Nvidia x86 processors.

Now slightly on topic since we're talking about consoles. Gamasutra has an article on retail software sales for consoles and handhelds. It excludes PC sales, and I assume tablet/smartphone game sales. The summary of it is that sales peaked at 11 billion USD in 2008 and is 500 million USD above 2005 levels, the author does not attribute this to end of the life as the slow sales were still hitting during the 3DS and Vita launches.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184899/US_retail_software_in_2012_What_you_need_to_know.php#.UP9SJCc0V8E

With Valve wanting to upset the console market by getting a bunch of OEMs to build their own version of a Steambox PC, things could get interesting. Nobody really knows what it is they want to do other than get Steam in the living room and I don't think they were referring to it as a console, so I guess we'll find out as time goes on, maybe at E3?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Nvidia's current promotion sucks, instead of 3 free games you get $50 currency each for Hawken, Planetside 2, and Worlf of Tanks. A Far Cry from the previous promotion.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

With AMD being in the PS4 and probably the Xbox 5000 that would be one way to get developers to use their physics implementation.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

So this may be the big thing Nvidia was announcing, Nvidia G-SYNC.
http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2013/10/18/g-sync/

Using a chip in the monitor, and a GeForce card ( :argh: ), the monitor provides a variable refresh rate that eliminates screen tearing without using V-Sync and eliminates stuttering. It works with most GeForce cards. According to the Anandtech live blog it will be available in Q1 2014.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 18, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Endgadget got an interview with the CEO of Nvidia, in addition to other stuff we already know he talks about the next Tegra chip, also known as Project Logan, and reveals they are already working on Shield 2 which may use the next Tegra processor. All those poor Shield owners. :(
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/21/nvidia-ceo-jen-hsun-huang-interview-october-2013/

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

El Scotch posted:

The g-sync thing really turned my 290 attention to :flaccid:.

Come on AMD, take me back to :dong:.

You'll need to wait for G-Sync 2.0 for it to be any good, which will only be compatible with the next generation of Nvidia cards. Prove me wrong Nvidia. :colbert:

I got my new computer today with the 280x. In Guild Wars 2 at 1920x1080 with everything maxed Lion's Arch was smooth. The in-game FPS counter claimed I was getting 21 FPS but it did not look like it.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 24, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Is there an archive of today's Nvidia stream up yet? I see it was on Twitch but I can't tell if it was archived.

Edit: Stream URL. It's down until tomorrow. http://www.gputechconf.com/page/live-stream-source2.html

Edit 2: Here we go! It's about 2 hours long http://www.twitch.tv/nvidia/c/3951220

Yaos fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 25, 2014

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Agreed posted:

I have to duck out, I'll catch up on all this later, but somebody who does have time, please please please please please keep an eye out for Maxwell details? :kiddo:
For those of you that don't want to watch two hours of graphical goodies, in addition to what Agreed posted Nvidia has done some other cool things. Nvidia has partnered with VMWare to provide GPU power through VMWare products. Tegra now shares architecture with the regular full sized GPUs. The next mobile chip they will release (Tegra K1 this year) will run at about 327 GFlops. They announced a new SDK kit that costs $192 for the new mobile chip, along with a new API called VisionWorks that provides picture recognition for the mobile GPU. They showed off a driverless car from Audi that uses a replaceable module to drive the car using a Tegra K1 chip. The module looked to be about the same size as a desktop GPU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Nvidia just can't catch a break. The guy behind the ENBSeries of graphical enhancements is saying the 970 does not have .5 GB of slow VRAM, it only has 3.5 GB of VRAM and uses system memory for the last .5 GB! Not verified by other people yet, nor is there is an explanation why the benchmarks on the .5 GB is faster than system RAM.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 1, 2015