Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is there an accepted group of CPUs that pair well with the 3080? I know those are hard-ish to find too, so I figure I might as well start keeping an eye out for them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ufarn posted:

Anything from 5600X to 5950X. Six cores is a little on the lower end, sixteen is a bit much, but beggars can't be choosers with AMD CPUs these days I guess.

exquisite tea posted:

The Ryzen 5000 series, particularly the 5600x as it's the best price:performance CPU on the market right now. They're somewhat easier to find than GPUs in that they sometimes remain in stock on Amazon for several minutes before selling out. Get in the ATR-STONKS Discord, prefill your credit card information at all the major online retailers, and be prepared to mash that direct to checkout button.

Thanks! The 5800x is available right now on AMD, actually... https://www.amd.com/en/direct-buy/5450881600/us

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

This poo poo is loving embarrassing for every person and entity in the whole chain, jesus.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/JimmyG303/status/1359202746285580290

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

we get it, you hate mining
Morally dubious, yes. Financially viable, absolutely.

Costco has a 90 day return policy dont they? just sayin

lol he's not wrong, tho

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

Would you live next door to a nuclear power plant?

Yes I would and you continue to prove yourself an idiot itt.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Fauxtool posted:

if anything, you are maintaining the health of the network by putting a constant load on it. When you have an emergency there will be more power to go around thanks to you. A hero

Idiot making $14 a day to you
The increased cancer risk is measurable and way outside of the margin of error. Its safe to drive past one regularly, but living next to one and having that constant low exposure is not good.

[Citation Needed]

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

change my name posted:

I am building a coin you have to find and break in Minecraft, so that people are actually gaming on the cards they buy

lol this is great and someone should actually do this.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

spunkshui posted:

Maybe just post how to do it then?

Or is your goal to flood this place with as many useless "can I pm you" posts as possible?

He has a thread in SA Mart, people should just go there and get in his queue.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sure, chief, whatever you say.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Best Buy has been consistently doing drops every other Tuesday morning, so the fact that there hasn't been a Best Buy drop since 2/9 isn't unusual. That said, most everyone accepts that there isn't going to be even sparse 3080 drops until April at least.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nobody in any of the stock drop discords I'm in have received or know anybody who has received an actual card of any type from ShopBLT. So, ya know. Whatever that's worth.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm a 3d artist in games/vr and I would like to get a 3080 for msrp but scalpers' prices ain't in the budget. The card already costs almost as much as all the rest of the parts of my new machine combined..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

paberu posted:

At this rate you should really look for a 3090 if you want a GPU in the near term. Those tend to last way longer during drops. The price is high so it comes down to having performance boost now vs 6 months from now but at half the price.

Unfortunately when I said "a 3080 for MSRP is in the budget" I meant that literally and higher prices than that are not.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah I don't see nvidia at least ever offering another line of cards at these msrp price points again.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Also on team 970. Might as well wait as long as it takes for a sub $1k 3080. I've made it this long..

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I dunno about him, but I would expect to be able to buy a video card for a normal price 6 months after they released, personally.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nice Van My Man posted:

He did recently blow ~$80,000 on a gold controller (not to mention the GME stock), so I wouldn't put it past him. Not saying I don't think it's a sponsor thing.

The thing about casting anything in gold is you still have most of the gold at the end.

No battle on the GME stonks, though. He just straight ate that, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

LTT posts videos periodically about their finances, if anyone's interested. It's a lot of merch, as is the case with most YT or streamers that sell merch. They also have, like, 40 employees now or something.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

They're doing more. They said in the video where they gave the url.

mutata fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 23, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My 970 will have to last me another year or 2. I work in real time 3D art, and work from home, but I'm using a 6 year old gpu lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's actually been pretty great over the years but it's been years since I could run a new game on high. VR has struggled (I work on VR apps) most noticeably, but even Hitman 3 had some slowdowns. Flight Sim was a no go as well.

VR and running unoptimized graphics stuff have been really starting to bog down lately, which I do everyday for work.

I'd like to get some better screens next, maybe a couple of 1440p ones that are bigger than 30inches, but that will definitely have to wait for after an upgrade.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Hey, neat, I already have a 5900x. AMD usually drops some every Thursday morning or so.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The other problem with shortages and other issues caused by unregulated free market capitalism is that you get assholes who come in in the middle of them trying to convince you that the broken system is, in fact, good and you should feel lucky for living in it because this strawman they built over there? That's where it's even worse.

Edit: ^^^ lol, "Debate me!"

mutata fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 10, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I grabbed a 5900x, which is very gettable compared to GPUs or 5950s. I'd like to pair it with a 3080 to prevent bottlenecking myself, but the cpu will help with my work regardless.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I don't believe they are fighting it because they have no actual internal incentive to. The only negative is a PR one, but even then the gamers who are pissed are only pissed because THEY want to buy nvidia cards so bad, not those miners. I suppose they might be concerned about the 2nd hand market if/when crypto flounders and suddenly gamers aren't buying new cards in lieu of sweet prices on used ones, but ehhhh.

I have no idea why they would pack anything more than a couple folks on anti mining stuff for empty gestures for pr bounces.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

2x 32gb is faster than 4x 16gb, from what I understand. Linus has some videos on it.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

GruntyThrst posted:

They effectively only sell on location, nothing lasts long enough on a shelf to be bought online.

I think he means the people in the Discord.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm reading you have to buy an extended warranty for KR cards to qualify.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tempting if only to get in another line. Still, they're only into late September submissions, lol. I forget, is the Step Up queue the one that's stalled or is it the notify queues?

mutata fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 23, 2021

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I also copped the vag drop. I also will sell it if I get my hands on something else, but I'm also so tired of playing this game I'm probably not even going to try beyond entering shuffles.

The extra vRAM is cool, at least, and I'm fine with no *~raytracing~* for a while. Maybe this will actually let me play games at frame rate on my ultrawide or even let me upgrade to a 1440p monitor soon.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

mA posted:

6800XT will essentially give you the performance of a 3080 outside of ray tracing and DLSS. It's more than powerful enough to max out high refresh rates in 1440p and more than sufficient as a "gap card" while you continue on the never ending F5 side quest.

Yeah, that's what I gather. I'm ok with no raytracing and DLSS, and I need it for work, so it's nice to have the new build finished. It'll pair with my 5900x pretty well and I can wholesale move my current machine with its 970gt down to "game machine for the kids".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Alchenar posted:

If only this thread had a resident scalping expert who was allowed to post

Yeah, selling hyper-demand luxury goods in a massive seller's market really needs an expert guide, lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

njsykora posted:

Watch Linus’ videos and have notifications for all his channels on. There doesn’t seem to be much of a pattern for when they show up and he’s intentionally making it hard for people to just scrub through a video to find a url. Or wait for someone in this thread to post a link.

It's easy to scrub through. Use the arrow keys on OC or double tap the video on mobile. Just skip ahead, listen for a few seconds, skip ahead, listen, etc. You definitely need notifications turned on (the bell button on the YT channel) and you need to jump on a vid as soon as it goes up.

I'm only subscribed to the main LTT channel, though. Have they ever done a drop on their other ones? There was a mini drop during a WAN Show stream, but even those are streamed to the main channel.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The last CA BB drop was when that guy tweeted that his bot bought 90% of it, heh.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Speaking of, I got that GeForce 210 from Adorama and registered it and started Step Up with it. Maybe it'll come through this time next year lol.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Got a couple cards in my cart but they don't ship to any of the dozen stores in my state lol. What a stupid system and it's still better than anyone else's.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Has anyone here ever won a Newegg shuffle or am I just wasting my time?

Yes and yes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm an environment artist in the games industry and lighting has always been painful, time consuming, abstract, and frustrating to get looking right all at once, especially across multiple scenarios (like moving from outside to inside or moving from night to day, etc). A fully real time raytraced workflow has been the unobtanium holy grail for decades, so much so that I still remember exactly where I was when I first saw the announcement headline from Nvidia with the Star Wars stormtrooper demo forever ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Prescription Combs posted:

Glad they keep launching new products no one can get.