Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Well I just ordered an EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX from a place in Canada that says they have stock. The website said 21 and then a few min later it said 15 so we'll see if they actually ship me one.

I'm upgrading from a 660 that just wasn't cutting it for my Oculus Rift DK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I have a GTX970 on the way. Think it's worth keeping my GTX660 for PhysX? I wouldn't think so but I'm going to try it before I sell the old card anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Agreed posted:

Worth it in what sense?

You already own it and the additional power draw should be extremely minimal. I use a 650Ti for PhysX (by which I mean Borderlands 2 and soon the pre-sequel, the Metro games, and also the Batman games) alongside my 780Ti. It handles everything pretty much effortlessly (a very heavy PhysX scene might get it up to 22% usage or so, and it takes a SHITLOAD of emitters before it starts slowing down in Fluidmark too).

I used to use a GTX 580 and it was insane overkill - the 650Ti is a performance analog to the 560Ti, more or less, in games - though Kepler's lower end cards seem to handle videogame PhysX better than Fermi lower end cards, and the power savings when the card is idle are boss compared to older generations. Not Maxwell boss, but, you know, pretty alright.

Worth it in the sense that virtually no games use PhysX? Well that's up to you I guess :v:

Well the newest game I have is the Asscreed one with pirates and I think it does PhysX. I have Borderlands 2 as well so I guess that's two games :v: Anyway I just want to see if it makes any performance difference at all, or say, better than 5% or something. I'll just sell it if it doesn't do my system any good. I think it's worth maybe $100 but that's probably going to drop now that the new cards are out.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I checked with pcpartpicker and went through the list. I think they only shipped 50 cards to all of Canada and they are all the EVGA ACX models.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Alright, my 970 has arrived. I have a GTX660 in my computer right now. Any benchmarks anyone wants to see done comparing the 660 to the 970, and then also using the 660 as a dedicated Physx card? I have Borderlands 2 and Assassin's Creed 4 that use Physx. If there are any free benchmarks I'll run them too.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

NarDmw posted:

That'd be useful for me. I have the same cards and was wondering the benefits vs the heat and noise cost. I think a 2nd hand 660 can go for like $80

Well so far I've put the new card in just to make sure it works. My old GTX660 non-ti was a blower and my new card is the EVGA 970 superclocked ACX 1.0 model that everyone says to avoid. I can't hear it at idle. My computer was fairly quiet before and it's under my desk but now it's nearly silent. I think I can hear a case fan or maybe it's my PSU fan now. Before I heard the blower fan all the time. I'm going to try it under load and see how it is.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Agreed posted:

Here are two free ones to get some more numbers on the table for everyone interested:

PLA PhysX Benchmark

Fluidmark - good for testing stability, too, since it loads the card differently when you use an extremely high number of emitters and start raising the graphics stress settings as well. Juggling that workload can make an apparently stable overclock fail, in my experience.

Thanks, I'll try and do some good testing later.

First impressions: At idle it's very quiet. I ran GeForce Experience and went with the graphics settings it wanted for Assassin's Creed 4 at 2560x1440. While I was playing the game it was very smooth and I noticed no slowdowns and the game looks fantastic. I couldn't hear the card over the in game sounds. After I quit the game the fans were still spun up and it was about as loud as my old card was at idle. If you have ordered an EVGA ACX card and can't return it don't sweat it, it's fine.

I reserve the right to change my mind later after more testing of course. :)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I ran PLA with everything set to max at 2560x1440 and got this:
970 Only:

I ran FluidMark using the 1080 preset and got this:
970 Only:

Then I overclocked the core 100MHz and ran FluidMark again and got the exact same result. I noticed the benchmark was locked to 60FPS and it didn't stress the card very much. It was only pulling 50% TDP.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I forced VSync off in the drivers panel. That made a big difference.

It also made the fans spin up pretty good. They still aren't a problem though. I'll do proper testing now.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is the highest stable core OC I can get. I haven't touched the memory yet.

After the break I'll put my 660 in and see what that does.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This is with my 660 pulling Physx duty. I had to lower the OC on my 970 a little bit to get it stable with 2 GPUs. Neither of them are running at 100% so I think I'm CPU or memory bound or something with two cards.

Also don't believe all of the scores on the FluidMark site. An error happened and I got this:

But the fluid was not being rendered. My 970 shot to 100% when that happened. Maybe if you had a really high end compute card doing all the Physx you could get that.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Okay testing PLA at 2560x1440 with everything set as high as it will go:

GTX970 only:

GTX660 doing the PhysX GTX970 doing the rendering:

I'd say in some cases it's worth having a dedicated PhysX card, but man just being able to play games cranked up at 2560x1440 is great either way.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Rime posted:

I forgot to add that it's going in ITX / M-ATX, fixed.

That's still insane.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I don't know if I've got a freak card but I have the EVGA ACX 970 and I haven't heard any whine from it.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If you go for the 1440 then for sure. Maybe nvidia will make a 960 sometime soon that would be better for 1080p but who knows.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Panty Saluter posted:

That's a good read. Seems like DSR is a pretty decent option if you're on a "low-res" display.

I just tried DSR set to 1.5x in Borderlands 2. I have a 2560x1440 monitor and all the other settings are at max. I get good frame rates and it looks amazingly smooth. The picture quality is something else.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
To add to this, I have the EVGA card that people are saying is too loud. I've used it since I got it with the side of my case off and I have never heard coil whine from it. I've actually got my 660 in there still from when I was testing Physx with it and the 660 has the louder fan 90% of the time. It's not a bad card and if it fits use it. You can probably find a marked down one if you look hard enough with all the people blowing this out of proportion on the internet.

I'm not an EVGA fanboy. In fact I have historically preferred to use ATi cards because of Canadian pride. I've had a lot of cards from different manufactures over the years and this time around the 970s are all so good that the 'worst' one is better than 99% of cards you could have bought a month ago.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
This may be a crazy question, but I have a 2560x1440 monitor and a GTX 970. I've been playing Elite but it doesn't seem to have anti-aliasing that works. If I use DSR the I get really really bad framerates. Is there a way to use a DSR mode for 1080p with a non-1080p monitor? It only gives me multiples of the monitors native resolution.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I've only changed settings in the NV control panel and it didn't seem to do much of anything. In game ranges from jaggies to sparkly jaggies when I change settings. I'll go read up on injectors, thanks. :)

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Guess I'm behind the time :( makes sense that all the stuff I see about dedicated physX are dated articles and videos

Thanks for pointing it out to me!

I used a 660 with my 970 when it first came out and it made physx benchmarks give bigger numbers, but it was dumb so I sold it to my brother.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
They should put a mini bus bar running up the inside of the back of the case next to the expansion card slots.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Buildzoid has his own take on the 12VHPWR issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSetyi9vj8

He thinks the blame on the soldering is misplaced, saying that all the melting is happening near the tips of the terminals and not where the soldering is. His theory is about how the Nvidia's terminals use two splits while OEMs only have one, and it may be too easy to leverage apart the terminals in the Nvidia adapter.

This makes way more sense to me. I saw someone blame the solder and I thought that was dumb right away. If that was the case the wires would be overloaded and get hot, not the terminals.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Some of the adapters have low quality terminals that don't make good connections with the pins. The bad connection has higher resistance which leads to overheating and melting. That's what I'm betting on anyway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

That's not good. The other thing that was pointed out before was that the 8 pin power connectors could handle 300w each but are only tasked with 150w to provide a wide safety margin, while the new power connector could handle ~680w but is being used at 450w to 600w, which is a much lower safety margin. I think that in the end it's just going to be down to manufacture tolerance, slight user errors, and any other little things that add up to make it easy to melt a cable because the margin for error has been removed. When you have a high resistance connection it heats up, but it also causes more power to flow through the other terminals that managed to make a connection. I think the real solution is to just have more pins so there is a fall back for the amount of power trying to go through if there are one or two bad connections.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Got an RTX 3060 Ti to replace my GTX 1070. There was a pretty good early black Friday deal. Now I get to run all the cool ray tracing and AI cuda stuff everyone has been playing with.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

istewart posted:

I just went from 1070 -> 3080 myself. I don't think I actually have anything in my library that can tax the 3080 yet. Maxed-out Elden Ring for a few minutes didn't even make the fans come on (and then it crashed, but I don't think that was a GPU problem).

I'm glad to have the 1070 around as a backup card. Seems like it's still comfortably in the "recommended" range for a lot of stuff coming out. I'm tempted to start playing around with it as an eGPU.

The 1070 has been a good card. I have two kids that are old enough to enjoy a decent video card so I'll be doing the computer parts shuffle and pass the 1070 down and move the 970 from one kid to the other. That should make them happy as they are using AMD APUs at the moment.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I've had my RTX 3060 Ti for a day now and I'm really impressed with the productivity speed up over my GTX 1070. Blender is way faster now. I can't imagine what it would be like to use a 4090. Those things would be worth every penny if you were being paid.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Apparently the connector doesn't really click when you plug it in. GN showed a clip of what looked like a cable being almost all the way in and then coming loose when they wiggle the cable around. I can see someone putting the card in, not quite getting the connector seated, and then carrying their PC back to their desk and the big honking mess of cables pulling themselves back out a bit.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
GN goes into pretty good detail. There is more than one way there could be a problem, but only one where they themselves made it melt. The video is well worth the watch. I love GN for this kind of deep dive and actually getting to the bottom of things.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
If the sense pins were shorter then the card would shut off when the connector isn't fully seated, which would be great. I guess they didn't think to do that because the old 8 pin connectors have a much more positive seating feedback, and also maybe they fall all the way out easily if the clip hasn't engaged so they don't get a chance to heat up and melt. I don't know. Maybe they didn't think of any of this when they designed the thing. Right now at least we know the melting is rare, and how to deal with it going forward. It's user error, but the connector enabled that user error IMO.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

mdxi posted:

I'm also a big fan of the 3060 Ti after having picked one up ~2 weeks ago.

This is my Folding@Home points per day. If you look very closely you can find the point where four GTX 1650 cards and a 750 Ti were replaced by one 3060 Ti.

Nice.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I will admit at first I thought there must be something seriously wrong with the connector as I never would have thought someone could be so clueless about plugging something in.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
There is a very specific upside to the LHR models though. LHR are my wife's initials and she was amused enough by that to buy me a video card. She was kind of sad the box didn't have LHR prominently displayed though. Hope this helps! :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I turned RT on in Cyberpunk 2077 and while it doesn't look a lot better, it does feel more real after playing for a while. The lighting just triggers something in my brain that says what I'm looking at isn't fake, not as fake anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

i don't remember all the details and this probably isn't the thread for it but iirc there was also a controversy with some in game advertising that crudely sexualised trans people and when called out their social media guy gave a really poor response

This is closer to what real people were actually upset about. The problem was pretty much that CDPR put trans content in the game and marketing and patted themselves on the back over it when what they actually did was pretty off-putting to a lot of trans people. I'm not sure it was ever a huge deal but it came off as exploitative and ill thought out more than anything.

I do like Cyberpunk 2077, but it's still buggy even after all the fixes and the game will never live up to what people expected. It has some good missions and story elements but as an open world it feels like it's missing quite a bit.