Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

Echostorm posted:

I have a Palit 560 GTX Ti that seems to have broken down. While it still works it constantly runs hot and when I put it under load, even trying to refresh my windows score it crashes my box. Power isn't an issue. I've got an 850 watt PS.

I would like to replace it with something slightly less demanding and that doesn't sound like a jet taking off when I try to play Skyrim or Civ V.

I understand that the 560s were well regarded and that maybe this is just a bad card as it started off working fine over the first year.

Thoughts?
Have you tried blowing out the fan/heatsink with a can of compressed air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

InstantInfidel posted:

Uh, no. Games that are developed to run at 1080p will do so, but the new consoles will support 4K. So yeah, you'd be an idiot to buy a 2GB high-end card today.

edit: Nevermind on the PS4, only the Xbox One will support 4K games.
The PS4 has a GPU that's 50% faster than the Xbone's. The PS4 supports 4K output, they're just not pretending it's powerful enough to actually play games at that res. No way we see 4K games this generation, it'll be a loving miracle if all games run at 1080p.

Disgustipated
Jul 28, 2003

Black metal ist krieg

InstantInfidel posted:

The Xbox 360, technology from 2005, manages to run Skyrim at 1080p at 30FPS. It's also silly and incorrect to expect hardware to perform identically on two things as different as a PC and a game console. A 7790 that doesn't have to worry about the background bullshit from Windows and hacked-together drivers and can put a lot more of its GPU power towards being, you know, a GPU.

Digital foundry says 720p. And even if it was 1080p, that'd be the exception not the rule. Plenty of games on current consoles render below even 720p.