Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

980 is a reference launch.
Neato, thanks. As I recall, Twin Frozr has been the best non-reference design of late, right? Just trying to figure out what I want to hunt for next year when GTA hits. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

Does 1080p gaming on a 1440p monitor look like poo poo... or is the dpi good enough that it only looks like very slight, weird anti-aliasing?
I'm sure it also depends on the quality of the scaler, but I've had 720p and 1080p consoles plugged into my 1440p display and they're certainly not terrible resolutions. Sure it's not the 1440p native that my gaming PC spits, and you can see a difference, but I certainly wouldn't call it poo poo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Tech Report just posted a great article on Maxwell's Dynamic Super Resolution feature.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Blower-style coolers are generally a safer bet for mITX, yeah?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kragger99 posted:

Last concern - getting a 980 now, assuming the 980ti may come out not long after might make me regret jumping on it now. I'm guessing there's no word on a ti version ,and if so, it might be a good 6-12 months away?
It would probably have to be a new design (GM210?) since GM204 is already a fully-enabled chip. I'm guessing it's at least 6 months out since we don't have any solid rumors about it. NVIDIA is still probably trying to decide what to do about 20nm.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Depends on the case. Plenty of mITX cases are designed so that an open air GPU can draw fresh air through a vent directly over the fans - bitfenix prodigy, obsidian 250D, Carbide 380t, silverstone RVZ01, and a bunch more.
None of those appear any more ventilated on the side than the SG-07B, so I guess I'll keep my options open then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vectorwulf posted:

This model seems to consistently be in stock, any major issues? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076
I believe the consensus is that EVGA majorly hosed up ACX 2.0 so as of right now it's in the "do not buy" category. I could be wrong though: I tend to skim this thread rather inattentively.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Skwee posted:

I had a card with the ACX 1.0 for a while and the temps were fine. And cooler noise was not loud at all.
You had a 900 series with ACX? As far as I know it's not the ACX design that's the problem. The cooler is okay, but they reused a design from earlier cards and heat pipes don't quite line up with the GPU just right. The card won't break or anything, but it's hardly ideal.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

"Didn't make sure their cooler actually contacts the GPU fully" is a pretty fair reason to pass on a brand until the issue is resolved fully. Said as a loyal EVGA customer all the way back to the 7600 GT.
I agree. I'd probably buy an Asus or MSI part if I wanted a card this second, but I've liked EVGA for years now and would prefer to stick with them. So I'm just waiting it out at this point.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Agreed posted:

One 980 is just not a great purchase. Whole lot of money for that extra ~10-15% performance.
Yeah but I want it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shrinkage posted:

Whoa, I'm running Witcher 2 with Ubersampling at 60 FPS with the 980.

Pretty cool.
At 720p? :haw:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

AMD got the win for the Retina 5k iMac. I was really hoping for Maxwell. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Amazon has the MSI Gaming GTX 980 in stock. :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Eddain posted:

It's being sold through a merchant using Amazon fulfillment, not directly by Amazon.
At the time I posted, it was being sold directly by Amazon.com.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're really having the Apple debate in the GPU thread?

veedubfreak posted:

At this point is there any reason for someone to buy a Mac instead of a Windows pc other than being an Apple fanboy? I understand in the old days there were reasons, but now, a Mac is just a PC with OSX and a giant markup on parts.
What a stupid question to ask here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

edit: lmao my cancer is gone
You're welcome.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A bad Russian rumor site. Don't give it any credence.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Looking at all 3 in front of me right now: go with Strix, Twin Frozr V, or ACX 2.0?

My heart says EVGA but this generation's reviews make me think ASUS or MSI would be the better choice.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The end result is in the parts-picking thread: I had to go EVGA. The others were too big. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don't sell poo poo in random threads on SA. You may make a thread on SA-Mart and link to it here.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I don't know how many heatpipes my GTX 980 has because I'm too busy playing games with it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

Okay, then can you explain it to me? The Nvidia marketing blurb says it "renders a game at a higher, more detailed resolution and intelligently shrinks the result back down to the resolution of your monitor", which sounds a lot to me like supersampling.
http://techreport.com/review/27102/maxwell-dynamic-super-resolution-explored

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure this was discussed when the story broke a week or so ago and most people thought it was a non-issue, or at the time at least not properly investigated yet. Has anyone besides a bunch of random forum posters actually tackled it yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Starhawk64 posted:

Heard about that VRAM issue that GTX970s have. Should I return mine and get something else?
Does it play games fine?

Then no.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

I might just leave the 2nd card on the slower port as a PHYSX a exclusive card but it seems like a waste.
Yep this is the answer.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Maybe if AMD's new cards in June have a non-trivial performance advantage at similar price points
970 is still fast enough that they'd just have to drop price to keep winning at performance/price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Swiped from this Beyond3D forums post.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FYI, NVIDIA released their GTA V Graphics & Performance Guide, and as you'd expect with so many graphics settings, the article is absolutely massive. It gives nice comparison shots of all the different technologies at work if Eurogamer's piece from earlier today wasn't enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Are the Mordor Ultra textures (DLC, I think?) actually an improvement in visual quality even at 4K, or just a stunt?
It's difficult to see a difference in still shots, and basically impossible when the game is in motion.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Maybe i should have bought 2 honda civics instead of my ferrari.
There are so many things wrong with this post.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zotac's Amp! Extreme Edition has a sicknasty overclock:

Base Clock: 1253 MHz
Boost Clock: 1355 MHz

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Welp, did a thing.

Thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I love mITX gaming systems.

I was a bit worried about the noise of the 980 Ti, but then I noticed that it's still significantly quieter than the 7970 I had at one point. That thing was so noisy that it reminded me of my old FX 5950 Ultra at times.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If you're TDP-constrained, that might not be the case. The TDP jump from 980 to 980 Ti is substantial, and could definitely tip a given configuration from feasible to infeasible.
Please stop trying to crush my mITX dreams.

Thelonious Monk posted:

Would buying a gtx 980 (not ti) be a terrible idea now?
No please buy mine

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Incredulous Dylan posted:

I ordered mine yesterday from Newegg with rush processing and it still hasn't shipped. My guess? Their marketplace sellers threw listings up ASAP to get as many orders as possible and are scrambling around to fill orders. Some of those listings didn't even bother to have pictures for a while! I don't know how strict Newegg is with their sellers but on Amazon they'd be considered late after two days. Then again, depending on your overall sales volume you can just ignore a bunch of late orders for a few days and make your money. I haven't even gotten my Arkham Knight code and it's the end of the second day. I could play that on my current card while I wait :/.
I'm not a big fan of order status posts, but since you were concerned and we ordered at the same time, here's where mine is at:
  • I got my Arkham Knight code via email
  • Status updated to "Shipped" last night and it says it will be delivered today, despite the fact that I picked slow shipping.
Fingers crossed that they're not lying to me. Also Arkham Knight isn't out yet.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It's here it's here it's here!

Not sure I like that it was sitting in front of my door for the last 12 hours for anyone to pick up, but whatever.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Diddie posted:

I have to wait another day, but it's going into a new mITX build tomorrow so that should be fun.
Way ahead of you

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

orly posted:

What's the lowdown on all the new AMD stuff that's being announced in a week or so?
I mean, just read the last few pages.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Make an SA-Mart thread. You can't sell poo poo here.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Power consumption is too high on the 980 Ti versus my old GTX 980 :(

Time to figure out if I can cram a different PSU in my mITX chassis (ATX PSU but depth is 140mm) or explore a different case.