Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So this just started happening. The colorful thing in the distance flickers and jumps around when in motion. So far I've only seen it in Skyrim but that's all I've been playing lately. Twice now I have seen the corruption, quit to desktop and had the computer freeze. The GPU is a Sapphire HD 7850 (not overclocked now, it had been before), which had an alarmingly high failure rate anyway. Looks like I got more time out of it than a lot of people, but this sort of artifact usually means the GPU is on its way out, ja? :sigh:

e: gently caress you radium, i dont care if the attachment even shows after this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rastor posted:

The PS4 and Xbone consoles have 8GB, but that's total for the system, not VRAM on a dedicated GPU.

I think it's high time expansion cartridges made a comeback :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

I had that heatsink on my 1.4 Thunderbird. Nice to see they still make them, I guess :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Naw, that video is 6 years old. Just hadn't seen one in a while.

Thats not the OG one though, the OG one had a pci bracket that elevated a fan over it.

Yeah, that's the one I had. I think my bracket was designed to attach elsewhere inside the case but I really can't remember now.

It looked neat but I don't think was ever all that good at actually cooling.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The stock cooler on my HD 4850 was really awful about clogging up. It was a very low-profile heatsink with a small, high speed fan that was only mediocre at the best of times (it would idle around 70C...which was fine for that card but still). When the heatsink clogged I would have to take it apart and remove the quilted lint and dust that had woven itself around the little fins. When it was that bad you could crank then fan all you like, it just couldn't push the air through.

Then I got an Accelero S1 and it would idle at 40C with no fan at all so welp :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TheRationalRedditor posted:

70C isn't an acceptable idle temperate for a heater, much less a video card!

I don't think it is either but that particular chipset runs hot as hell anyway and everything I found said 70C is pretty normal.

I pretty much did what was done in that video a couple of times. It's not hard, just annoying. Wish I'd bought the Accelero earlier, but either way the card still works fine to this day, I just don't have a use for it. Also you need a loving enormous case to accommodate it with the Accelero; it just barely fit into my P180.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 7, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, surely you can get a can with a 'straw' nozzle, angle into the exhaust end of the cooler, and blast away, it'll push the wall of crap back into the fan, and then you can suck it out from there with a small vac.

This actually doesn't work that well because the dust really weaves itself into the fins and there's some offset as well so blowing back out doesn't work that well. I found disassembly to be the safest bet.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Especially given that one will make the other work a lot harder :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

1gnoirents posted:

I dont think there is a real ETA for 20mm. 28mm maxwell should be released late this year

Don't feel bad, I didn't notice that until that until it was pointed out. I do the same thing with mega/giga/terabytes all the time, referring to the new 3 and 4 GB hard drives and such :corsair:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

spasticColon posted:

Why page 256? Is that number significant is some way?

its the maximum number of values represented in an 8 bit word v:v:v

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

this is like me with steam because I bought the half-life retail pack and found out I couldn't come back to it to play online

then ten years later I started playing computer games and

I bought the retail pack years before Steam and they still honored my keys. It ruled since I could finally stop carting those CDs around.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Aw yeah, VGA passthrough to Voodoo2 passthrough to MPEG decoder. All the color-keying VGA overlay. What's that, how do I take a screenshot? I don't.

pro as h*ck

I had a Voodoo 2 for like a week or something (IIRC it was like $80 at Electronics Boutique when I bought it). I was mightily impressed with its ability to run Quake II at 800 x 600 with cool lighting effects (I only tried 800 x 600 on a lark since even 640 x 480 was almost a magical pipe dream without a 3D accelerator at the time). Then I decided that if one was good two was better and I decided to spend my next paycheck on a second one even though I probably didn't really need it. When I went back I found out that the Voodoo 3 was only $20 more, and it was basically an SLI'd Voodoo 2 with better 2D acceleration than I had with whatever 2D card I was using at the time (some 4MB ATi? maybe? or was it only 2MB?). So I bought that and the week old Voodoo 2 collected dust and I don't even remember what became of it. This is at a time when I wasn't pulling in more than $150 a week too.

Thanks for reading this episode of "why someone else should be handling my financial affairs".

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

kode54 posted:

Better than my story. All I could afford from loving Best Buy was a Creative 3D Blaster Exxtreme, which was a lovely 3DLabs Permedia 2 card with 4MB of memory. It couldn't even run Quake, and if I tried to run Thief, walls were only textured with the light map, so spotting the carpet in the tutorial was impossible.

I even returned and later re-bought it. Meh.

Tried to buy an add-in card in its place once, it failed to boot with a non dedicated card, because it was a lovely Packard Bell desktop with integrated graphics which the BIOS disabled on boot if a video card was plugged in, even if it wasn't a complete video card.

Irresponsibility even led me to attempt flashing the card with incompatible firmware. The only fix was to hot plug the card post boot, but before Windows 98 booted, then reflash it from there with the correct firmware. First time I ever experienced multi monitor, too.

Oh hey, I didn't know you posted here. I enjoy many of your Foobar plugins :cheers:

I don't know, my story didn't involve nearly as much hacking and yours has that plus utterly wasted money. It's always nice to know that I'm not the only person with utterly poo poo impulse control.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The Lord Bude posted:

I blew 8k on a ridiculous computer featuring Quad SLi 9800GX2s in a giant wind tunnel disco led gamer case. I also spent $2k on 8gb of shiny just released DDR3 ram, and a ridiculous 700 dollar motherboard for it all.

Sweet Jesus. I'm glad I've never had this amount of money or credit. :psyduck: I'm a little more fiscally responsible now than I was at the time of the Voodoo fiasco (and several years after) but I can just see being bored one day and saying,"I know just what I need!!!" :retrogames:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have been kind of wanting to upgrade my 1GB 7850 (despite only having had it a little over a year) and now that I see the figures for the 970 I think that will be a worthy upgrade. Of course then I will to start rolling pennies for a 2560 x 1440 monitor as well...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Zero VGS posted:

Has anyone heard of any brick and mortars getting the 970s besides microcenter? Not seeing anything at Fry's or Best Buy but it's a little strange for Microcenter to be the only launch store around here.

I saw 770s for more money than a 970 on Best Buy's site so I'm guessing they're going to try to blow out their old stock first :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Duck and burger posted:

Really? With my HD 7850, I do Skyrim at

Please do not use Skyrim as a performance benchmark. It's too jankety to get consistent results, especially with mods.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm still tempted to buy a 970 even though I'm on a 1080 display for the foreseeable future. The onboard downsampling feature does look pretty nice compared to standard anti-aliasing. Plus I will probably buy something higher res...eventually.

Also I will run it on my 450w Seasonic PSU, which clearly has enough power since it has an 8 pin PCI power connector :getin:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

isndl posted:

Naively coded engines often have physics tied to framerate, which can lead to unusual effects. Quake 3 and its derivatives literally let you jump higher at specific framerates, but more recent games also have issues. Skyrim will go nuts if you disable v-sync.

I wonder if they patched that in some way because I leave VSync off because ~*~my input lag~*~ and I don't have physics explosions or anything.

...and yes I'm getting 60+ fps most of the time :mad:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If I force Super Sampling in CCC does that override for every game or only if the engine allows it? For instance Skyrim just says "anti-aliasing" but Half Life 2 specifies MSAA. I guess I can make CCC override anything but I am wary of that since it can kinda blow things up. I guess there's always individual game profiles too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TomR posted:

This is the highest stable core OC I can get. I haven't touched the memory yet.

After the break I'll put my 660 in and see what that does.

Well, I was going to wait a bit to buy a 970 but now I don't really want to :stare:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 26, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
So what is the big advantage of PhysX? I ran the PLA benchmark using my HD 7850 (1 GB, no less) and got well over 60 FPS on high and everything looked pretty good. PhysX was disabled, of course, but I guess that demo doesn't really make its benefit obvious.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Oh, neat. Now that I think about it I might have seen this before. I assume the game has to have PhysX features coded in though?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Agreed posted:

Just like to reiterate real quickly that a 970 is a worthwhile upgrade for anything less powerful than a GTX 780 with a hell of an overclock. It routinely leaves the 780Ti in the dust in, oh, just about everything, and the price is slammin' :) 1080p is getting kinda complex again thanks to the new console generation; I think a 970 would be a great card for maxing 1080p in most games or getting it damned close in the most demanding titles. For higher resolutions, with all the bullshit going on with some newer games and their goofy memory requirements, it might actually ~kinda be worth waiting to see if some higher memory models come out provided you actually already have a powerful card.

If you're in pressing need of a new graphics card and you don't currently own an R9-290/R9-290X or a 780/780Ti/some flavor of Titan, the GTX 970 is an unbelievable card for the launch price point. Like, daaaaamn.

:drat:

The downsampling feature looked like it might be pretty nice on a 1080 display too.

(stop making me want a 970 :argh: )

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I am working on justifying a 970 because I will be able to gift my 7850 to my brother-in-law who is still "gaming" with like a Radeon HD2xxx or 3xxx :v:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Has anyone played with the "Super Resolution" downsampling feature at 1080? I've seen one still that looked pretty decent but that's it so far.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm forcing SSAA now and it does seem a bit better visually on Skyrim, no performance hit that I can see. Then again I'm only running 2x and haven't tried it on too many games.

If SSAA is forced in CCC then the game engine should be completely unable to override it, yes?

e: and now I see that I have been overriding at 1x. That explains the lack of a performance hit I guess :downsgun:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Tech Report just posted a great article on Maxwell's Dynamic Super Resolution feature.

That's a good read. Seems like DSR is a pretty decent option if you're on a "low-res" display.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I want to use Steam streaming but my remote computer has a Linux due to my cheapness and as such it's kind of a pain in the balls :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Actually the only really bad bit is the HDMI audio bug and my laziness w/r/t running an analog audio connection

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The Lord Bude posted:

It's reasonably common on lower end motherboards. You can solve the issue by getting an external DAC/headphone amp combo, but that is expensive and your headphones may not be worth it. A soundcard is a cheaper option, which should at least substantially reduce the problem, but it's still inside the PC so it may not completely prevent interference.

Also check your motherboard standoffs/mounting screws. I had a couple of loose ones (how I'm not sure, just missed them on assembly I guess) and that was allowing a LOT of noise back into the audio card. Also my computer became much more stable after that :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

cisco privilege posted:

puts Skyrim's artists to complete shame.

So do most of the mods on Nexus, what's your point? :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

K8.0 posted:

It looks awesome because the combat system is the same trash from the Arkham games, cinematic button mashing with integrated QTEs. At that point you may as well just watch a movie because they look even cooler and you don't have to mash one button and press three others when the game prompts you to. If you support this kinda crap in another 10 years all we'll have is a market full of David Cage games.

And then what will GPUs be good for?

Sega CD FMV games weren't bad, they were just 30 years ahead of their time :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ghostpilot posted:

(I started with a reference, then a Turboduo

Now I want a Powercolor card just for the weird quasi-retro cred :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

drat, my 7850 got like half that. No surprise there I guess. I also have a slightly lower end CPU (i5-4670k) so I might not fare quite as well but either way...that's a helluva result for a $350 card.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Nvidia's fancy new graphics rendering technology:

Grass

1 million blades of interactive, physically simulated computer grass. Adds an additional 1 millisecond to the render time of a frame on a GeForce 680.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLVa0NOFdwM

DirectX 11 feature, coming sometime next year.

I hope someone mods this into Skyrim :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Ragingsheep posted:

So how badly does an GTX 970 get bottlenecked by a Phenom II x4 965?

My HD 7850 started performing a lot better, especially in Far Cry 3, when I switched up to an i5 4670K from a Phenom X4 B60 that was overclocked.

So quite a bit, I'm guessing

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Factory Factory posted:

Poopsock 14 hours of games a week at $0.20 per KWH and that's $15 a year.

Well poo poo, I could be saving well into the thousands a year.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

r0ck0 posted:

Holy Smokes! I hope I get that. We talking about the same class action lawsuit? https://lcdclass.com/

This doesn't surprise me - I felt like LCD prices were ridiculously high for a few years considering how many were being produced. It seemed silly to me that they would be so close to CRT prices for so long when they are relatively simple compared to the mass of high voltage and vacuum tubes in a CRT.

I guess yields would have played some part too but it still seemed odd.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is Seasonic still a decent brand? I have a 450W unit that replaced a Thermaltake 500W with screeching caps. Hasn't offended yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Been a while since I've read this thread - are the MSI 970s generally good quality? I want to say people seemed to like them but I don't recall.