Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

full tempered glass case and every component has rgb on full time gay pride mode. I cant not look at everything all the time

Sounds like you wouldn't even need a monitor :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I like LED lighting in PCs, but set it to a solid color and keep it there. Do not let it animate like a Vegas marquee.

The only exception I can think of would be if I could get lightpaths along the circuitry of a PCB. I'd totally dig seeing that.

I feel like it should be possible with some sort of etched coating or potting + leds or lasers.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

What I don't get is why Nvidia/AMD can't figure out a simple way to just split the load without the software knowing there is a difference. Isn't that what DX12/Vulkan was supposed to do at the Driver level and yet still has to be programmed for directly and only like 3 games have done it yet it seems?

Really how hard is it to do SLI via the links we have to connect GPU's now, and heck, instead of SFR/AFR wasn't there an IFR where every other line of pixels could be split between the two to make for a more even SFR load?

Would it save bandwidth too to make it where the monitor plugs into both GPU's so it doesn't have to send data from one card to the other with the monitor attached?

It just seems like something that worked well when it was needed, and is going to be needed again soon if the Ray Tracing stuff actually becomes a thing games use in the next 5 years or so.

So is the current poor performance of SLI under SFR/AFR due to the duplicated geometry computations taking up a larger portion of frame rendering or due to increased dependency across pixels/time in screen-space and temporal algorithms? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

Rastor posted:

As Truga said, the problem is that games these days use shaders to achieve the desired graphics result. These shaders rely on knowing what pixels are nearby and also what pixels were in the previous frames, and thus they are fundamentally incompatible with breaking up the work among multiple GPUs.

The only exception to this is if you wanted two complete separate rendered images, i.e., for a VR headset. So for VR owners it's annoying that multi-GPU isn't supported for that use case.

How far out does "nearby" go these days? If its just a few pixels per render, it seems like SFR or dynamic SFR with a few lines of overlap would still get pretty good performance.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 30, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

repiv posted:

With effects like screenspace reflections, any pixel can potentially sample any other pixel. Here's a random example where almost the entire bottom of the frame depends on almost the entire top half during the SSR pass:

Thanks! Forgot about screen-space reflections - obviously dating myself here :corsair:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

no, I actually mean that WCCF tried to make the same joke twice today, once with AMD instead. I mean, how lazy can you get?

Not that "GPU company releases super-fast GPU that you can't afford" is remotely original or funny in the first place, even if it's GN making it. I actually thought the "GeForce Assist" aimbot from last year was funny, I guess the "GeForce Academy of Gamers" was OK this year, not super funny but at least they put a little more effort into it than GN and WCCF.

:bahgawd:

I feel like there's plenty of low-hanging fruit in the crypto price wars - something like "NVidia introduces integrating kill tracking to combat mining - 11xx cards throttle to 10% for 24 hours if kills/minute drops below 30. Nvidia rep says 'no one playing non-violent games will notice the difference anyway.'" Or something - I'm not terribly funny.

VVV I'll admit I chuckled at the "W" VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 2, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Hungry Computer posted:

Ran Heaven Benchmark for an hour and the temp hovered around 73c. Haven't tried overclocking yet. The fans are connected to the mobo while I'm waiting for the adaptor to come in the mail. Even at 100% these things hardly make any noise, so I might not even bother trying to control them with the 1070.

Honestly I'm just happy I was able to fix it without spending hundreds of $.

If you use SpeedFan you may be able to control the fans based on GPU temperature (depending on your GPU/chipset). I use it in my itx to crank the case fans when either the GPU or CPU is under load.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

So, uh, they're going with "Our program was totally awesome, but too many people lied about it on the internet"? JFC, just make up some poo poo about "reinventing the program to best serve our providers and customers alike".

E: They have open comments and are getting savaged over that line. This is probably the most spot-on:

quote:

"The rumors, conjecture and mistruths" would probably not have made you change your mind. This program was illegal in many ways under EU law and probably other national laws too. Millions of dollars in fine[s] is what made you change your mind...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 4, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

The problem is GPU boxes are 80% GIGABYTE GAMING POWER FORCE COOL OC and 20% AMD/Nvidia logos. It essentially forces your average Micro Center customer or whatever to be educated.

There’s nothing wrong with demanding unique marketing and packaging. What’s wrong is carving out the established packaging for yourself, though Nvidia is probably doing that more to raise a hurdle to Intel.

Models/makes are already prominently displayed on the boxes. I'm not seeing how displaying AMD or Nvidia more prominently is someone better for customers who don't know differences between models.

Rastor posted:

I would be OK with requiring Red / Green / Blue boxes for AMD / nVidia / Intel GPUs

Some companies already do this:

The "branding" thing was all about taking the word "Gaming" off AMD products.

E: Apparently Gigabyte has the strongest color difference - MSI and Asus use only model label coloring:

I do like Gigabyte's approach better, and I suspect that if NVidia wanted to require greater visual differentiation they would run into less resistance than trying to monopolizing existing gaming brands.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 4, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Soooooo the exact thing they do with HBM? Also, stacking high power elements like GPUs sounds like a great way to gently caress up your thermals. I'm guessing this will be more relevant for the mobile market.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Is there a feasible way to check an older GPU for physical damage or defects (not obvious damage -- this thing isn't a smoldering wreck)?

My current system frequently crashes when loading a 3D application or when already in a 3D application and loading new content (e.g, a new level).

It's a classic graphics crash -- colorful artifacts all over the screen, freeze, system needs a hard reset.

Checking Windows' error logs has been ambiguous. Example:

"""
Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎5/‎5/‎2018 11:39 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffbf0f665d14a0
Parameter 2: fffff80a0d4ab8e4
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 2918
OS version: 10_0_16299
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
"""

I also see "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." in the logs from during the crashes.

I reinstalled the drivers and it still happens, so I am leaning toward concluding that the hardware is going bad. This video card has served for 5 years, so that's not shocking.

Still, if I am wrong and the card is still good I'd like to use it as a hand-me-down for a project. Is there any feasible way to conclusively determine whether the hardware is failing or should I recycle this thing and move on?

If you have yet:

- Check to make sure one or more fans haven't died
- Download MSI Afterburner and observe GPU temperatures before/around crashes

If the card is just overheating, you might be able to set a more aggressive fan curve, find a replacement fan, or rip off the shroud and throw on some case fans.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lockback posted:

The scam is there will be delays and shipping problems until he vanishes or your refund window closes. Get your money back.

I'm not sure how that would work with current ebay policies. You don't actually get any money until after the package is confirmed delivered (if you use ebay shipping), or until after the expected delivery date (if you don't), and the refund window starts after the last expected delivery date. And shooting past your handling time also gives cause for the buyer to cancel the transaction. Pretty much the only way for the scammer to actually get money is for the buyer to ignore the fact that the package never showed up. Re-labelled (but real) black market 1030s are much more likely.

Ebay has become extremely buyer friendly.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eggyolk posted:

Got a partial refund.

So uh, thanks Ebay for the $150 1060?

You should be able to get a full refund. Did you get the refund through the seller or through ebay? Don't settle for a partial refund. If the seller's policy is "no returns", you probably won't even have to return it (though you could offer to let the seller pay for shipping). If you don't want a 3gb 1060, I wouldn't keep it, especially considering you likely won't get the transferable warranty with a fake S/N sticker (if it really is a gigabyte card - you can check with HWiNFO portable). Brook no poo poo from sellers.

Scams exist, but they're not necessarily the majority of auctions - I got a perfectly fine MSI blower 1070 ti for $430. Just be very aggressive with pursuing full refunds (and only bid on item that have pictures of the card that show the S/N if you want to be more sure).

E: Eggyolk isn't the goon who ordered the $60 card from China - they got a $400 1070, which pretty much the going rate for used 1070s right now.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 11, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Who makes good ITX-friendly high end cards? Is it just Zotac?

How long do they usually take to turn up after a new generation starts shipping?

Most ITX cases have enough space that you don't need to go all-out on shrinking the graphics card down to a single fan. In fact, you'll probably get better thermals with larger card with better airflow (or a blower, if you're willing to go a little louder), though the best card depends on structure of the case. The Thermaltake Core V1, for instance, fits an EVGA 1080 ti black edition perfectly. In some vertical ITX cases where the graphics card sits directly over the PSU, a longer blower-style card will place the fan beyond the choke area and open up airflow.

Subjunctive posted:

Oh good, I was worried about the thermals in an ITX factor. There’s always liquid cooling I guess if things get bad.

Setting a more aggressive fan curve and adding outflow fans was sufficient to get decent thermals on a blower-style 1070 ti in my Thermaltake Suppressor F1, which has relatively restricted airflow (on top of the hot climate). It does add fan noise, which you might care about more than me.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I care a bit about fan noise, yeah, but as long as it’s silent at idle and not ridiculous under gaming load I’m generally OK. Doing a custom loop sounds like fun, but also like the kind of thing I would gently caress up half way through.

Custom curves are pretty easy, and you can't really gently caress them up since the current generation of cards automatically throttle when they hit their temperature threshold (somewhere in the 83-85 C range). Just use MSI afterburner (or your manufacturer's equivalent) to check your card's temperature during gaming. If it starts hitting the temperature threshold, use the handy graph to move the curve a bit to the left so it ramps up at a lower temperature.

Here's my default and custom curves for my blower 1070 ti:

With the default curve, it was usually throttling after 5-10 minutes of high GPU use and would stay around 85 C after that. Ramping the fan up faster in the 60-70 C range let it better stabilize temperatures, and now it generally runs about 65-75 C at full usage. Non-gaming, it rarely goes over the minimum fan speed - 33% for the blower-style card, but still basically silent.

E: If you live a cooler climate / have AC you may not need to bother with custom curves, even in an ITX case. But if you do run into issues, it's a pretty easy fix at the cost of a small amount of extra fan noise under load.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 21, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I’ve done custom curves for my CPU before, so if they work well for this case I should be fine. Thank you!

What case are you considering?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Playing Doom on a 750ti. At 720p.

Playing Doom on a 386 at 72p!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Used market prices in Vancouver BC:

780Ti: $275

GTX 970: $300

GTX 980: $400

980Ti: $600

Keep in mind these are all nearly / over half a decade old now. :cripes:

Sounds like a good time to use Point-2-Point Parcel in Point Roberts or some Bellingham equivalent (or just get a US listing w/ international shipping).

E: You'll have to pay GST/PST when crossing the border, but there's no duty and it should still be worth it with prices like those!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 6, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Used 970 or an AMD 470/570. Might be able to find a new 1060 3gb for sub $200 but will need to turn textures down at some point to stay below its 3gb.

The 970 only has 3.5gb of usable VRAM so I'd say go for the 1060 3gb over a 970 if you must stay under $200. 970s seem to be going for $150-180, while 1060 3gbs are more like $170-200. That extra $20 will get you a newer (probably by 2+ years), more power-efficient, and slightly more powerful card.

Get an MSI or Gigabyte for the transferable 3-year warranty (from manufacture ship date). Sadly EVGA recently updated their transfer policy and you need a copy of the original sale receipt to transfer the warranty. If you can get the seller to send you that, EVGA is probably the best choice.

That said, 1060 6gb cards are currently going for $200-250, so if you can bump up your price range slightly you'll get a 10% faster card with no memory issues.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

The right move is whatever is right for you. If you can wait, wait. If you can’t, get a used card from a good manufacturer that has a transferrable warranty (MSI/EVGA).

Unfortunately EVGA now requires the receipt/invoice for the original purchase to transfer the warranty, so if you go EVGA make sure to contact the seller before you bid/purchase. MSI and Gigabyte still transferable warranties based solely on S/N & manufacturer's shipping date, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That's pretty ballsy to short NVDA. I could see shorting Blockbuster or Radio Shack when the writing is on the wall, but what makes anyone so sure that NVidia can't whip out their dick with a halo product at literally any moment in time?

I was thinking maybe NVDA was affected by the crypto bubble and could be hurt by the next crash, but that doesn't seem to be true at all. NVDA actually went up at a reasonable rate while cryptocurrencies were losing 75% of their "value" in Dec-Jan, and has had relatively stable increase since.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

60 refurbished Pentium IIIs (or is that Intel's low-end card?).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

Lol, imagine the opposite scenario you're implying. It is about fairness and equal time... which is self serving but true. I would have never imagined so many people so butthurt about NDAs which are logically impossible not to have. You, or any company, reviewer, youtube tryhard, is perfectly capable of not signing it and simply getting one like the rest of us. Which if you actually looked is what happens, people who aren't important enough to get a NDA produce the worst "reviews" possible in the first minute they own a product. What exactly is the problem here? If a company overtly restricts review samples because they dont like the likelihood of your tone then they get burned big time. See: AMD. If a company doesn't provide review samples, and the subsequent NDA you must have with them, then there is no 3rd party day 1 information. I'm not sure why anybody would want that or what benefit that would provide to the consumer or how that would prevent fallible reviewers from propping up a product. They still will, just much, much worse and as soon as they possibly can to get their clicks before anybody else. The only possible proposed alternative is providing review samples without an NDA (?????), I'm not sure anybody needs to explain that one.

Eh. Release-date embargos are bullshit to get hyped consumers to put their money down before reading reviews. "Fair treatment" of reviewers is a distant second. A race to "first" review might be a potential problem, but it would be mitigated by all the early reviews coming out during the hype period prior to release. You're right that manufacturers would still hold power over reviewers by deciding who gets review copies, but pre-release reviews would be a big win for customers (and that's true of most industries).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently EVGA has clarified their new warranty transfer policy and updated the wording. Purchasers of used EVGA cards just need to provide a receipt for their second-hand purchase, rather than a receipt from the original purchase (as was implied).

EVGA is back in "transferable warranty" column with Gigabyte and MSI.

EVGA_lee posted:

It's true that we removed the Guest RMA page on our website, but this actually had more to do with a more complicated situation than allowing secondhand users to submit an RMA. I realize this makes it more complicated for secondhand users to submit an RMA, but they can still do so by contacting our Customer Service through our normal channels. Only the procedure for requesting the RMA has changed for that.

Secondhand owners under our newer warranty policy (products shipped from EVGA on or after May 25th, 2018) simply require a proof of purchase; they do not need, nor should they provide the original invoice (unless they're the original owner, but this would mean they aren't a secondhand purchaser...). Instead, we are asking for proof of purchase from where the secondhand owner purchased the product. This could be a PayPal invoice, Venmo invoice, Amazon Payments, etc. If there's no electronic proof of purchase, contact us anyway and we can figure out another way to satisfy this requirement.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually the race for day one reviews is a huge problem, Steve from GN has talked about this before, if they get a review out even a day late they lose like 80% of their views, if you put out a late review effectively no one will look at it and your review was a waste of time.

I agree about racing for day-one reviews vs. reviews that miss the release. I'm skeptical that failing to have the "first" review would matter as much if your review is still posted before the release date (as we'd have without embargoes, assuming review cards are still sent out early). It's embargoes pushing review dates right up to release that I think only benefits the manufacturers. Whether they'd continue to send out advance review cards without the ability to embargo and snatch up those uninformed release-date purchases is another debate.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 30, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think that, especially because of YT algorithms, the first review out would have a massive advantage in view count and it would push reviewers to lower their standards to get out a review ASAP, it would also favor bigger channels like LTT and hurt smaller ones like GN. Reviewers(at least the good ones) already have a very hard time getting all the testing they need done in time for release day, the embargo just makes the race have an actual finish line and helps even the field between good reviewers that do large amounts of actual testing and idiots that poo poo out whatever they can for quick ad revenue.

Makes sense. Really, it's the "release day" portion of the embargo that's beneficial to manufacturers while harming consumers, but that's not likely to be pushed back without regulations coming from outside the industry.

Also, didn't think of YT reviewers at all... :corsair:

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"NVDA IS DOOMED, SELL SELL SELL! Preferably until it gets to 150 where I can pick up a ton of it!"

Seriously - it's not a good thing that nVidia got such a large return from [an unnamed OEM that rhymes with 'Rigalite'], but they'll likely liquidate the stock by offering cheap product to OEMs like Dell and HP, who are more than happy to sell three year old technology to rubes at Best Buy who don't know any better.

Is this that investor that's openly shorting NVDA and loves to write analyses about how it's going DOWN DOWN DOWN?

E: I love this article on the ethics of short selling

quote:

What about investors who talk their book to move the price of a stock which they honestly believe is mispriced? Some people think that's sleazy. I don't, with one caveat: that their subsequent trading in the immediate aftermath of the article's publication is consistent with what they wrote in the article. (Which perhaps is the same as saying that their article was honest.)

"It's not unethical to foment unease to bilk people out of their money, so long as you actually bilk them out of their money."

Stickman fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sormus posted:

Which is what made Mindfactory decide that spending money to make sure they always pay the different vat to different country after different limit will cost more than its worth. Its not that they refuse to sell to other euros, its because it doesnt make financial sense.

On top of the (relatively solvable) hassle of figuring VAT and shipping for various EU countries, I suspect that cross-EU shipping also makes your business subject to audits from any country it might be required to pay VAT. And that's potentially a much bigger hassle. I suspect that will also eventually make it's way the Supreme Court in the US once their ridiculous ruling goes into effect.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reality check on the GPU market: TUL Corp is an AIB partner that only sells GPUs (PowerColor brand), no other products, and is exclusively AMD. Their revenue is down 28% y/y and 59% q/q. They sold more GPUs in March than all of Q2 combined. :drat:

Gigabyte is a much more diversified company, and their revenue is down 31% y/y, 30% m/m, and 33% q/q.

(from that SeekingAlpha guy a week or so ago)

Looks to me like the ballparks about "30% of GPU sales being crypto-related" were insanely low. I'd say they were sucking up at least half, possibly more like 2/3 or 3/4 (with gamers taking some demand back up as prices have come back to sanity).

I'm not sure if we can go that far yet. Those crypto-related sales are now being offloaded into the used market, so you'd expect those to further depress new sales, at least temporarily.

E: Add in the "will they/won't they" for the 11/20XX release and I don't think we'll be able to say anything definitive until after the next generation releases and sales stabilize.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 17, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Albinator posted:

Thread, tell me what I should do. I want to play some modernish games - Assassin's Creed Origins, or Witcher 3, say - and have them look good. My monitor is crappy, but it's just a few feet away from a 55" 4k TV, so I reckon an HDMI cable can help me there. Should I buy a 1080 now (which I can afford) or wait a bit, save some more and get a 1080Ti (or the equivalent 11xx card if they're out)? I'm more indecisive than usual on this.

If you're willing to roll the dice a bit, used EVGA 1080 ti SC2's are going as low as $540-$580 on ebay now. If you wait for the 15-20% off coupons that pop up about once a month, they'll be $440-480 which is solidly in the current new 1080 price range. I say "roll the dice", but it's really more a matter of potential hassle - you can always get refunds on defective items and EVGA cards should have 2+ years of transferable warranty remaining.

Definitely try gaming on the TV first to make sure that the input lag is acceptable.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Like Big Headline said, the main difference is cooling and those are all have relatively equivalent mid-tier cooling (with the exception of the single-fan MSI AERO itx, which will run hotter). The differences in boost clock are entirely unimportant in 10X0 cards, because overclocking the card is as simple as installing MSI Afterburner and moving a slider. The cards automatically throttle at 83 degrees, so it's not possible to damage them by overclocking (unless you disable the temperature throttle).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 18, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Microsoft reported that nearly 30% of all Vista crashes were related to Nvidia drivers. https://www.engadget.com/2008/03/27/nvidia-drivers-responsible-for-nearly-30-of-vista-crashes-in-20/. ATI accounted for less than 10% in comparison.

It's not quite as far apart in you consider the differences in market share at the time (Nvidia had 20-70% more of the market over the period the article mentions). That still puts Nvidia at ~2x the driver failure rate, though (not accounting for potential differences in use patterns).

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Arctic Silver isn't conductive, but it is slightly capacitive so you still want to avoid getting it on pins and traces.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

That's only for the 4K144 panels. The 4K60 panels use the same module as the 1440p panels. You can pick up a whole monitor for like $600.

The reason 4K GSync hasn't taken off is because it's a bad set of tradeoffs vs high-refresh, not because of price or because NVIDIA is somehow "cheerleading" for high-refresh. 60 Hz sucks for gaming, and the high-refresh 4K panels were vaporware for years, cost 4-5x as much as a good 1440p panel, and still have major shortcomings.

I think that was point. 4K/144 Hz would be a good performance upgrade target for selling the next generation of NVidia GPUs, but not if 4k/144 Hz GSync monitors cost more than a high-end PC. Without that, 1080 tis work just fine for 1440p/144 Hz or 4k/60 Hz, so there's not really a performance shortfall to use to sell new cards.

It's possible that NVidia is banking on RTX to sell Volta, but we'll see whether they can get some launch games where RTX both makes a sufficient visual difference to impress gamers and also keeps graphical artifacts to a minimum.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

That was my impression, too, though I didn't know that Metro was the only game coming out with RTX support.

So that pretty much leaves cost and efficiency as the only reasons to upgrade to Volta, which worked okay for Pascal, but for two generations in a row? I can see why they're holding off the release to sell backstock.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Apparently the quadro k6000 has a similar component

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

tehinternet posted:

Get a brand with a transferrable warranty and you’ll be fine, EVGA, MSI and... was it Gigabyte? Can’t remember the third manufacturer with a non-poo poo warranty.

Gigabyte is the third manufacturer. EVGA now requires a receipt for your second-hand purchase, so make sure to get a receipt if purchasing in person.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Craptacular! posted:

I did for about five years. I care about resale value and OCing seems to add a lot of actual heat to the room the computer is in, so I’d rather wait until stock speeds aren’t enough to do what I want, which turned out to be this year for a 3770K.

I think the resale value over unlocked CPUs is a bit oversold. 3770Ks are going for ~$140 while 3770s are ~$100, the same $40 difference they had at release. 4790Ks are faring a bit better - a $50-60 price gap over the 4790. That's still pretty minuscule profit for a $40 5-year investment, if that's all you're buying the 'K' for.

Unlocked chips are worthwhile investment if you use them to extend the usable lifetime of your build, but you have to be willing to overclock when that extra performance becomes important.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

future ghost posted:

ASUS warranties transfer based on serial though so it should carry over. Assume it's been used for mining.

Sadly they do not:

ASUS TOS posted:

ALL ASUS WARRANTY TERMS AND AGREEMENTS ARE NON-TRANSFERABLE AND ONLY APPLY TO THE ORIGINAL UNIT AND ORIGINAL PURCHASER. ASUS IS NOT LIABLE FOR A CLAIM MADE BY A THIRD PARTY OR MADE BY YOU FOR A THIRD PARTY.

Only EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte have transferable warranties.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

DrDork posted:

Yeah, this is more or less how it works with most of the other companies, too. Officially the warranties are non-transferable. EVGA is, I think, the only one that explicitly allows transfers, and even then they note that it's only with a valid proof of purchase from a retailer (so not your eBay invoice). In reality they don't much care, as long as you're not being abusive about it, and will go off the S/Ns. I think they have that language in there just to give themselves the option, should they decide that someone is being an rear end in a top hat.

That said, I'd always ask for a copy of the original receipt, just to cover that possibility.

EVGA recently clarified that you just need a proof of your second-hand purchase (and their reddit rep said that support may be able to help you even if you don't have that), though the original wording of the new policy certainly didn't make that clear.

MSI and Gigabyte also have warranties that explicitly transfer and don't have the proof-of-purchase requirement.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

One could argue that the 970 was so well-priced because they knew the 3.5/0.5 thing was going to out sooner or later.

Maybe, but then they ended up paying everyone an extra :20bux:. They probably should have upped the price a bit to cover that...

Stickman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

celewign posted:

Well, I've installed my craigslist 1070. It was 300$. I fired up a couple games and saw decent improvements from my radeon 7950. Stuff that was at low is now at high etc. Card seems pretty good. my idle temps are 48deg C which seems high for this card, so I think i need to blow it out.

All in all, not a bad craigslist transaction. Kinda bittersweet to buy a 2 year old card for 300$ but its working and its better than ol' faithful radeon.

I kinda miss my radeon though... that was a good card.

Open-style 10X0 cards like the rog strix only spin up their fans at ~60 degrees, so idle temperatures are going to depend more on the ambient room temperature and than load temperatures will. 45-50 degrees is pretty common for idle.