Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
So how much faster are your games in CF configuration under that condition vs single card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Accidentally replied your other thread instead of this :v:

You should always distribute the load on your PSU with multiple plugs instead of using a splitter and plugging it into one single port on the PSU anyway.

Also using the same cable from old psu might always be risky if they changed the pin out etc on the PSU itself. With a different pin, it means your cards will get fried as soon as you power it up.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

dog nougat posted:

I keep seeing people talk about coil whine on their graphics cards. What's the difference between that and the fan just being loud because it's moving a lot of air?

Edit: I found this wikipedia article about it. I'd it really that loud/so prevalent that it's a big deal? I don't think I've ever noticed any sort of coil noise, just the fan being loud as gently caress on my 570 HD.

I had a Gigabyte one before and it was loud, so I returned it and exchanged it for an asus 570 and the noise went away. Supposedly it's because some manufactures (gigabyte) was using shittier components on their cards.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I actually considered opening it up and use some glue but it just sounded lovely to do to a 300 bucks piece of electronics that I just bought :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Factory Factory posted:

Well, remember that's a movie, not a game. It may be rendered real-time on a game engine, but it's not wasting cycles on AI, unpredictable asset swaps, or background updates to Adobe Flash etc.

Also just imagine how much stuff they will need to strip off in order to make a game that can run smoothly on both PC and console :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hayden. posted:

It turns out that I think I had the iehighutil.exe malware (the bitcoin mining one) on my previous machine. It was randomly having huge loads and making the GPU spin up, causing constant driver crashes (about every 60 seconds like clockwork) and I think it ultimately killed my GTX260. Kind of frustrating how much of a headache this has caused me, not to mention money. I kind of needed an upgrade anyway, but spending $800 right now wasn't something I wanted to do and the resale value of my GTX260 having been destroyed has cost me like $50-100.

So anyway, I guess the lesson is don't install poo poo from untrusted sources and use NoScript on your browsers.
I've seen something similar before on another machine and it seems like the card is dead because it would lockup/freeze every few minutes until the whole system crashes.

However a fresh install of windows brought it back to life and the card is working again with no crashes at all. So it could be that the malware is still in the background killing the driver until you do a reformat.

Also just completely remove java from your machine and disable java from all your browser too since the malware seem to relies on java to function properly.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, look at game like Bioshock Infinite and you can see how sharp the textures can be nowadays compare to the old blurry stuff that's pretty much just a mess as soon as you get up close.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

craig588 posted:

I'm psyched for it to come to normal sized screens and give nicer DPIs. The ~100 DPI we've been stuck on for so long needs to go and we're starting to get single videocards that can easily handle resolutions above 2560x1600 now so the time feels right.

If you are using multiple display on windows mixing 4K and non-4K displays, you get to choose between having 150~200% dpi scaling on the lower res monitor and make everything cartoonishly huge, or using the 4K display at eye-squinting resolution.

Because seems like there are still no individual dpi settings for multiple displays in windows :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Also anyone noticed how huge the drivers are getting?
310.90 was around 170MB, 320.49 is 181MB and the latest whql driver of 327.23 is 193MB. Compare to something like 6MB for a 56.57 driver that I have in the same folder :psyduck: and all of them are the english version.

Compatibility is nice and all but seems like it's ballooning at a hilarious rate for the last few versions.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

No-bridge crossfire, that's a mindfuck right there, how... Huh.

It sure is :v:

quote:

Of particular note for our testing, the 280X Crossfire setup ends up in a particularly nasty failure mode, simply dropping every other frame. It’s being rendered, as evidenced by the consumption of the Present call, however as our FCAT testing shows it’s apparently not making it to the master card. This has the humorous outcome of making the frame times rather smooth, but it makes Crossfire all but worthless as the additional frames are never displayed.

VVV I read gud :downs:

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 24, 2013

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

nVidiaInspector and EVGA Precision both have FPS limiters.

Whoa thanks for that. Kinda just gave up before and let the game run up to 300fps for no good reason while pegging the GPU at maximum.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Could be that nvidia learned a lot from the 5800 Ultra blower fiasco. I still remember the joke videos they made themselves admitting how terrible it was to have a super hot and loud video card.

Edit: found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFZ39nQ_k90

DaNzA fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 9, 2013

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anyone has any stability or reliability concern with superclocked version of things? Specifically if it's worth the possible failures for the superclocked version of the 780ti with acx. I remember back in the 8800gts days all the super locked version died on me after a year or two.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Is there some chart showing the fps difference between older or ancient GPUs like the 8800GTX/4850/GTX 460 vs the new 750? I remember tomshardware had something similar.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Anyone tried out the newest and the second newest whql nvidia drivers? Some reason I keep on getting random system wide freeze with them especially when there's a 3d application or game running on one of the screen.

This happens on two different computers I've tried with, one with 6 series and another with 7 series desktop gpu. And now I've rolled both of them back to the driver from January.

I believed in you nvidia :argh:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

I personally believe the stannous does the heavy lifting.

Does MSDS list materials by abundance like food labels?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
There are places where people learn their periodic tablet elements by their latin names eg. plumbium instead of lead :black101:
But yeah you'd think they will want to protect their trade secret recipe but then again people in the food industry would probably do the same but they still list things by abundance.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

DrDork posted:

You're probably correct--all you have to do is look at the late model/not really released voodoo 5 series to see that they dun hosed up. At the time, though, there was a lot of fanboi angst and anger and general feelings that NVidia had been underhanded about the whole thing. In the end it's kinda irrelevant how exactly it happened; 3DFX wasn't going to survive anyhow.

Wait nvidia was the shady one? thought only 3dfx was trying to squeeze every out of everyone with their own proprietary glide api and shutting down people's glide emulation with attempt with lawsuit. They even cut off the manufacturers when they bought STB but turned out "made in mexico" wasnt that good.

But either way the main downfall was that they had lower fps in quake 3 :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Apple's A8 can already do Facetime with H.265 for some magical reasons :q:

Which means it should be able to do encode/decode using the same chip later on.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
EVGA has some of them in stock

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980

http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+970

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Probably too confusing with their last great 8800GTX etc? :v:

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
EVGA also has the coil whine issue iirc compare to something like the Asus or MSI 970 Gaming with better electrical components.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What are you using to test your VRAM? The folding@home client?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
But think of the amount of money you'd save on the power bill if you went with the GTX 970!

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
But it was fixed in GTX 670 or so where it can actually idle properly with different resolution desktops.

Check your drivers?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

How to determine if you will have coil whine

flip a coin

Just run something that stresses the GPU.
Even something as simple as the Windows Performance Index refresh will stress the GPU enough to cause the whine.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It has slightly better encoding.

Generic Monk posted:

Isn't 2.4GHZ actually less affected by walls and other obstacles than 5GHZ? Sure I heard that somewhere

It's probably that 2.4Ghz is just way more crowded where he is and since you only have 3 generally non-overlapping 20Mhz channels for 2.4Ghz vs a ton more open channels in 5Ghz. You end up with faster speed if you used 5Ghz.

A moderate/weak but clear 5Ghz signal is much much better and faster than a strong 2.4Ghz in a crowded environment with tons of interference.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Does DSR work in a windowed environment with multi monitor desktop?

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

kuddles posted:

It works fine in windows but last time I checked, it doesn't work properly with a multi monitor setup yet.

Ah I meant if it would work in a boarderless window mode, eg running a small square of 1680x1000 in a 1920x1080 display with DSR which makes it actually 3360x2000 in the same portion as before but 2x density.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The 4k thing doesn't make much sense in the context of 4GB memory though :v: someone in marketing probably thought that up before the memory capacity was actually finalized.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

No HBM was never supposed to be cheaper than GDDR5. It was supposed to give you gobs more bandwidth and as a nice bonus save you some power usage. HBM2 is supposed to give you more VRAM and/or speed for the same or similar cost.

I guess the other question is how come nvidia can beat the HBM cards with that much more bandwidth using traditional GDDR5? and does that mean there's going to be a noticeable leap for them when they get HBM2 onto their Pascal next year.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
670 and after should have no problem clocking down the GPU when you have mixed resolution/refresh rates.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Something is wrong if your video card is not clocking down when you are on your desktop and idling.

Check your GPU usage.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Could it be some yield issue for such a big die?

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah Mac reversed the two-finger touchpad scroll axis to mimic the way it works on smartphones/ipods. Windows 10 now does it as well by default but they let you change it back.
If you migrate/upgrade to lion or newer it will keep the old scroll behavior while a fresh install will enable the reversed 'natural scroll', but it's just a simple setting change in the trackpad's preferences to make it behave the old way.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
So is the Focus RS like the 970 of the GPU world? or the 980Ti???

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer
They idled at 70c for me because the bug that doesn't allow clocking down when you have multi monitors with different resolutions. So of course it started to randomly crash and died after a few months.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Looks like they missed the most important metric that is the 'FPS per inch'.

AMD totally wins that, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

Grimey Drawer

repiv posted:

Forced dynamic quality scaling pretty much invalidates the results, although the disparity between NV and AMD is still weird :iiam:
Are they going to have the awful fps cap @ 60fps and basically nullify the benefit of having 120/144hz?

It really is too bad to not being able to run modern games @ 120fps on 120hz refresh rate with smooth-as-glass game play especially when you have the hardware available.

Even though it's was already doable almost two decades ago in games like Quake 3 with GeForce 256 DDR and a 21" Sony CRT.