Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I just built my first PC in over a decade and was pretty happy to have the best card in the world.

Goddamnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Is it worth upgrading to a 3080/3090 if I already have a 2080ti (EVGA FTW)? I sit in front of a 65in TV and play with the PC hooked up. Can easily get 1440p/max everywhere, and 4K/max on most games if i put DLSS on. I don’t really need over 60fps.

With news that PS5 is going to be nothing but multiplats (even supposed exclusives look like they’ll be launched on PS4 or PC), my guess is that next gen doesn’t really start until 2022 or so, and moving up would be overkill at this time.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Like two years ago I bought a RTX 2080TI FTW3 to replace an aging 1080 non-ti. At the time I knew it was stupid and expensive at $1400 but I had a new big boy job and gently caress it, Adorama had some 0% financing, so what the hell?

This whole shitshow has, to put it lightly, sort of validated my choices. I play games with my tower plugged into a 4K TV, and don't have the ability to go over 60hz (I don't play competitively, so it seems like even more of a non issue). Through DLSS magic it gets a steady 60fps at 4k in most games, 1440 in the rest, and even pulls down at worst a solid 30 in games with ray-tracing enabled (of which there are like maybe 10 I have any interest in right now).

Basically I'm begging you all to talk me out of a 3090 as being completely and utterly useless and frivolous. God bless.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Fauxtool posted:

I think those types of restrictions belong on the 3060 and i support the refresh since it will help the 3060 be the widely available budget gpu its supposed to be. Over $1000 flagship gpus should be totally open, but this is the same nvidia artificially that locks FP perf behind a many thousand dollar paywall. In the end they are gonna do what makes the most money.

The normal customer base is a fairly fixed number that should only go down over time as they eventually all get served. Then you have miners who have a nearly limitless need for GPUs and normal supply and demand doesnt apply. I cant see it ever truly returning to normal unless they make the mining only GPUs actually attractive to miners. Double the price or more and almost no warranty isnt very appealing. If they were the same price and crap warranty I would probably buy 10 and make a rig. It would indirectly free up 10 GPUs that I wouldnt have need for. It currently makes more sense and is cheaper to buy consumer GPUs at scalper pricing and until they fix that the miner cards wont be relieving any pressure.The pieces to fix stuff seem to be there, but arent being applied well.

I wonder if the 3060 availability would be any better if they never "accidentally" released that driver or if it would have been hacked wide open anyways

This is less an attack on you and more of an indictment of nVidia and shops that don’t give a gently caress about implementing any kind of anti-scalper/bot measures, but your reasoning is pretty suspect because you kind of have a vested interest in this, as you are making a small fortune scalping these things. Ideally gamers would have more access to the whole line, not just the one with the least margin for you.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 18, 2021

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

EconOutlines posted:

poo poo, this makes me want to dump my 2080 Ti. I’ve read “Eh” things about the 3090 FE’s thermals but I don’t plan on OCing and used Amex, which has always taken good care of me.

I lucked into a 3090 FE at MSRP on a Best Buy drop and am selling my 2080 Ti ftw on eBay. With 5 days or so left it’s sitting at over $1300. Between this and a 3060 I sold locally for 825, I’m getting my money back on a two year old overpriced card I originally bought for around $1400, and having the upgrade fee covered by a Craigslist sale.

Yes I could have taken the $1000+ profit and stuck with the 2080 but I know myself and my gadget lust, and I’m essentially making a bet that if I did, I’m going to get upgrade fever before the chip supply sorts out, especially if we go deep into 2022 or 2023.

I also sold a 1080 non-ti FE that was literally in my basement for years for $350 a while back when I was digging around while upgrading to a 5800x, and thought I was cleaning up. eBay has sold listings for double that now. Bottom line is if you have an old card and a suitable replacement, or just don’t care about PC gaming anymore, there’s never been a better time to sell an old GPU for real. I’ll never amass a small country’s GDP from flipping like Fauxtool, but it’s weird to have essentially reimbursed myself for a brand new hi-spec gaming PC because of the glorified mass delusion that is crypto.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Sickening posted:

Seems pretty reasonable, don’t cut the line.

He’s a shitbag scalper who flagrantly eschews the rules by trucking in paid line holders from his Craigslist ads. He also sets up little outposts at the front where again, paid line holders rotate in and out in cycles to ensure he gets all the top GPUs to flip.

People got tired of his poo poo and this how this absolute embarrassment of a human acted. Apparently MC management let this go on until this video leaked and corporate had a conundrum.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Since I tripped over my dick into a 3090 I am absolutely going to be taken in by these “old game but with RTX” cash grabs.

Edit: You’re in for a treat. Witcher 3 is one of the best games ever made, and getting to start it fresh with RTX level graphics is enviable.

Going from 2077 to W3 is going to be weird in that you generally expect games to get *better* as companies gain more experience. Just pretend that they made W3 after CP2077.

(In reality, CDPR went public and having shareholders hosed it all up, because that’s the story of capitalism.)

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 27, 2021

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

bobfather posted:

I just Ebayed a GTX 950 for $145. MSRP was $159 I think, 4 years ago.

I sold a $1400 2080ti for about the same amount, leaving the net cost of my 3090 after “trade in” at ~$200.

I sold its predecessor, a 1080 non Ti that was collecting dust in the basement for two+ years for $350.

It’s a good time to have an old GPU to sell.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

gradenko_2000 posted:

When I think of games that I'd like to see Quake 2 RTX remake, it's games like Sacrifice

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at Fauxtool and you look at the average SH/SC poster and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE!

See, normally if you go to buy a GPU you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But Fauxtool’s a botting freak, and he’s not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best to beat him to checkout! And then you add Chinese crypto farms to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down.

See, the 3-Way at Newegg Shuffle, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But Fauxtool! He got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, cuz Jeffrey of YOSPOS KNOOOWS he can't ban him, and he's not even gonna try.

So, SH/SC, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus Fauxtool’s twenty five percent chance (if you was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Newegg Shufffle.

But then you take Fauxtool’s 75 perchance-chance of winnin' (if you was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two thirds…percents, Fauxtool’s got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Newegg Shuffle! Señor Jeffrey? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Newegg Shuffle!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Regrettable posted:

It has to be sold by Amazon too AFAIK.

Not that I’d endorse this, because certainly the property rights of multi billion dollar companies like EVGA and Amazon must always be protected, but what is keeping someone from changing the seller on their invoice with a quick cut and paste from a previous invoice of something you bought direct from Amazon?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

mysteryberto posted:

Is replacing the thermal pads on a 3090 FE important? I see GPU temperatures of 66 degrees max when gaming. If I run OCCT stress test I see 70C on the GPU and 98C on the GPU memory junction.

I have no interest at all in mining just gaming.

FWIW, I followed cryptoathome’s YouTube videos after buying the pads and tools recommended by him, and my 3090 FEs dropped from 108 to 90-94 VRAM temp while they run NiceHash at high. At lower levels and in games, the number plummets even further.

It’s scary to think about and you really should not have to DIY at this price (MSRP or aftermarket) but the nVidia pads really are trash, and it’s actually a perfect fix. If I can do it, anyone can. Just watch the video twice before then leave it running when doing the surgery.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Internet Explorer posted:

I don't care what anyone says, this is loving cool.

It’s extremely rad aesthetically but woof that price.

Not gonna lie, I’ve been extremely tempted by the red Zaku variant motherboard and case.

bloodysabbath fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 22, 2021

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

SpicyPete posted:

Oh, GN reviewed that card. It’s apparently dunked in perfume before being boxed up and shipped out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT-YSg1KkIQ

There’s extra, then there is whatever this is, and I *love* it.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Dibs depending on price? What do you have in mind

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
Can absolutely vouch for the thermal pad fix on the 3090s. Don’t know if it is the same for other models but the FEs have garbage pads that got my VRAM to as high as 110c under full load. Now the max is 92.

The Mac mod mentioned is for the MacBook Air and is actually even easier and required no weird disassembly at all.

You literally just take the back off and slap a quality thermal pad to the heat sink and put the back on again. Done. Basically what this does is compensate for the lack of a fan in the MBA by allowing the bottom of the computer to act as an extension of the heat sink, and gives you the performance of a MBP that costs ~$300 more. You won’t want to keep it on your lap while rendering massive video files, but it won’t make a difference for day to day work stuff.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
We’re almost 2 years into next gen systems but nobody can buy the things and we’re still seeing big titles go multi gen. I’m not trying to do the Bill Gates “640k Ram is enough for everyone” thing, but unless you need 4K RT 120hz no DLSS or some crazy high VR or rendering use case, when are we going to see games that actually need this much power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I have a 3090 FE and regularly get 60+ fps with ray tracing at 4k, maybe at worst I end up going down to 1440p but usually not with DLSS enabled.

I also feel like graphics tech has stagnated due to a whole host of reasons, to the point where we are about halfway through the traditional console gen cycle and we’re still seeing multi-gen releases.

Given this, the worst thing I’m anticipating is maybe by the time the 5 and 6 series come around, I’m having to slide down to 1440p in new releases. Is there any conceivable reason for me to buy this card if I’m not suddenly going to buy a 8k TV (I have the PC in the living room) or go into esports where I need to be able to play an old rear end game on minimal settings at 500fps?