Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

"Skeletons are Number One! Flesh just slows you down."
Very very impressive OP. Holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

I just bought a second 680 GTX for some hot SLI action and for now I'm running into issues. I havent had time to test further before being forced to go to work, but after installing my second card my monitor would not recieve any input anymore, from any DVI slot. The computer would apparently boot, the peripherals would power up, both cards fans are running (at an alarming 100% speed probably) and I do believe I heard windows bootup (will need to check again). But my screen does not show anything, it keeps doing what it was doing (blinking blue LED).

I tried to go back to one card, tried either card, and still nothing. Does changing video cards gently caress up monitors somehow? Like, does it need to be reset somehow? Would pressing F8 help? It's a korean IPS 27" display if that matters. Fairly barebones monitor, worked perfectly fine before today.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Thinking of it Im not sure if I usually get a post with that monitor. These days hardware is so fast that that you barely have time to see anything before Windows starts loading.

I brought my system to a technician today and we tried many things.

1. We tested with another monitor and still there was no signal on DVI, but we had a signal on VGA and the computer would boot normally (went on the desktop and whatnot). So that rules my monitor out as being the culprit.

2. We then tried each individual card in another machine, and they would have the same behavior (no signal, 100% fan speed constantly).

3. We then tested a random PCI-E card in my system and that card would output DVI just fine. Which means I didnt fry my PCI ports or my motherboard somehow.

So that leaves me with two dead 680 GTXes, one of which is brand new. What the hell. I still can't imagine they're fried or had a critical hardware failure. Would it be possible it might still be software related? Something with the bios they put on these cards loving up when I tried SLI? I've been using the first 680 since June and it worked perfectly fine before trying SLI, now both are dead.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Dec 6, 2012

Athropos
May 4, 2004

To Dekks: I did unplug the system and switch the PSU off before adding the second card. But I'm actually Im starting to think I hosed up when I first started powering the cards. I'm going to copy paste what I posted in my tech support thread because it might be higly relevant and in sync with that Dekks said.

"I recently switched from a 650w modular corsair PSU to another 750w modular corsair PSU. When doing SLI, I noticed I needed to add 2 more modular PCI-E cables to power it, and I used stupidly the cables that came from my old PSU (a single 6 pin connector that goes into the PSU and splits into 2 6 pin connectors) before rectifying the situation and using the cables that came with the right PSU (2 individual 6 pin to 6 pin connectors)."

as opposed to

I think 750w is enough for SLI, these cards arent as power hungry as they seem. I might have hosed them up with this cable stuff though. Modular PSUs be damned. I'm an idiot.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 7, 2012

Athropos
May 4, 2004

DaNzA posted:

Accidentally replied your other thread instead of this :v:

You should always distribute the load on your PSU with multiple plugs instead of using a splitter and plugging it into one single port on the PSU anyway.

Also using the same cable from old psu might always be risky if they changed the pin out etc on the PSU itself. With a different pin, it means your cards will get fried as soon as you power it up.

It's ok, I wanted more exposure since I was pretty desperate. :)

I think I used not only the wrong cable, but also the wrong connector slot. The PCI-E connectors in the 750 PSU are coded blue and I used a black one. I just hope I didnt do any other damage. EVGA is offering me a RMA but I'm afraid it might happen again for some reason. I'll use the right connectors this time.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 7, 2012

Athropos
May 4, 2004

So in a nutshell, could a Titan be more powerful than my SLI 680s?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

I can confirm this driver works on my 1440p korean ips monitor. The earlier beta release did not work on monitors without a scaler.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

I'm beginning to think that maybe my SLI 2GB 680s are not enough for the resolution I'm using (2560x1440). I need to run some tests and monitor VRAM usage before being certain but god damnit.

I kind of dont want to go through the hassle of selling and replacing them. I imagine they lost quite a bit of value since I bought them a while ago.

Anyone else gaming on 1440p can chime in?

Athropos fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 8, 2013

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

That should perform quite well at that resolution; I run a Sapphire Vapor-X 7970 GE (3Gb) and can handle max (or the very cusp of max) settings in GW2 quite well at 2560x1440. It will drop to the 30's or so when things get crazy in GW2 (massive world events, town hubs) but generally it's in the mid-50's to 70's. What are you trying to run and what results are you looking for?

I monitored usage in Battlefield 3 and maxed out it uses up 1.8 GBs at 4x MSAA. Seems like it's cutting it close, but I had no FPS drops at 60 fps on there.

I guess I'm concerned about stuff like Total War games and upcoming things.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

There's no natural way 2x680s don't dominate 1440p, you've got a weak link elsewhere or something is going wrong.

The weak link is Rome II: Total War being an unoptimized piece of rear end that only uses one card and chugs my processor (i7-3770k @ 4.4ghz) in combat and on the campaign map and makes GPU usage and FPS plummet down. I shouldnt upgrade for that crap, you're right.

I sincerely don't think it's worth upgrading for about 30% more performance right now after all. Maybe in one more generation.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 9, 2013

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Rome 2 is also a hugely unoptimized mess and I wouldn't use it as a benchmark for anything.

For comparison Shogun 2 allows my 2 cards to flex their muscle pretty much all the way while Rome 2 makes it a slideshow at 10 fps in the thick of it.

That and selecting anything on the campaign map seems to make me lose about 15-20fps right on the spot since OVERLAYS and AREAS OF EFFECTS are more demanding than anything apparently. gently caress this engine.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

havenwaters posted:

You need a GTX 780 and an i7-4770k to consistently hit 60 fps at 1080p right now. It's going to take a few patches to fix things.

TIME TO UPGRADE!!

Just kidding. And I'm on 1440p so there's no chance in hell right now.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

1080p is pretty much a solved problem, but I'm still waiting for a card that can do 1440p at a solid 60fps. The 780 comes close, but fails, and still costs $650. So yeah, I'm very interested in what the 290x comes out to.

Im in the same boat as you. In 1440p im getting fed up with my SLI 680s with only 2gb of memory's sloppy performance due to poor sli support, vram bottlenecks (yes they happen in newer games at that resolution) and CPU bottlenecks which are particularly bad since SLI already increases CPU load. My i7-3770k at 4.4 ghz cant handle some stuff. When it works right on well coded games its wonderful and I can hold a steady 60 fps with about 60% more performance than a Titan. But when games require more power I just fall short. Rome 2, Planetside 2, Battlefield 4 all bring my rig to its knees and constant 60 fps is not possible. Hell even Diablo 3 and FFXIV have tons of strange lag spikes that are unexplainable to me since I should be running it with my eyes closed. Some bullshit CPU bottleneck thing again I imagine.

I want to jump off the SLI boat and get more vram but I dont know what to do.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Oct 4, 2013

Athropos
May 4, 2004

I'm thinking of selling my SLI 2gb 680s and getting a single 290x card because I'm pretty sick of dual GPU woes in some games and at 1440p I'm not quite getting the performance I expect. However the market in Quebec sucks dick to sell local and the best offer I got was 550$ for both cards, am I doing something wrong?

Athropos
May 4, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Out of curiosity, which games are you playing at 1440p where the 2x 680s aren't up to the performance? I ask because I've been considering either 2x 770s or 2x 280Xs long-term and I'm at 1440p, so it'd be interesting to see with what games it may not even matter to go SLI or Crossfire.

I dunno, it's wildly inconsistent. I'm one of them "60 fps or bust" people and the performance in Borderlands 2 (maybe due to physics), Final Fantasy 14 (CPU bottlenecks which SLI doesnt help with), BF4 which maxes out Vram usage like mad, and Rome 2 which is a poorly coded piece of poo poo that chugs even 5ghz octocores all lack oomph at that resolution. Some games run flawlessly though, and for controller games like Assassins Creed the Batman games I can play on my HDTV at 1080 which gives a break to my 2 cards.

Maybe these framedrops to like 40 fps are because of CPU bottlenecks that I don't know about. I7-3770k running at 4.4ghz. I'm thinking that a single GPU solution with more VRAM will bring me less problems in the end by putting less stress on the CPU.

Athropos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 17, 2013

Athropos
May 4, 2004

So, where could a gentleman buy one of them 780ti's? I can't find it at all. Was it released today?

edit: In canada

Athropos fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 7, 2013

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Bleh Maestro posted:

It'll turn your computer into a volcano.

How do people realistically run cards like that in the real world?

Maybe if AMD stopped using cheap lovely plastic crap for their reference coolers...

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Agreed posted:

What you're running into are LUDICROUS AS poo poo definitions of "enough." Unless you pretty much demand minimum 60FPS

That's not ludicrous :colbert: this is why I'm getting a 780ti superclocked. gently caress framedrops under 60 for shooters.

Athropos
May 4, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, dual 2GBs. They're advertising it as 4GB, so I'd assume a 4GB/card version would be advertised as 8GB.

Which is a lie because two cards at 2GB does not equal 4GB at all. Or I was told wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athropos
May 4, 2004

The only bad thing about the free rear end Creed 4 and Batman and whatnot is that they shipped the small cards with the serial # on them separately from the video card through purolator, in padded envelopes. Got my 780ti, still waiting on some rear end Creed.