Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, so correct me if I'm wrong:

I'm looking into upgrading from my 560 Ti sometime this year, as I'm building a completely new system and carrying it over for the time being. Ultimately, I was thinking of either selling it or simply using it as a dedicated PhysX card. My question being, how viable/difficult would the latter be? Is there even a reason to do that over simply selling it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Another random query: I do a lot of gaming on PC (I haven't had a console in years), so I'm wondering if it's worth grabbing a 770 with 4GB memory. Is that much RAM a good or bad idea?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Here's my question: If I go with a GTX 760, do I want 4GB or just 2GB? Can a 760 really use that much vram?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Also, GPU Boost 2.0 supposedly does some wizardry with temperatures that allow it to overclock dynamically based on your card's temps.

Meanwhile, Agreed mentioned some COMPLETE MADNESS in the parts picking thread about two 4GB 760s in SLI being a superior option over a single 4GB 770. Is this insane? I ask, because I'm currently on a 560 Ti that is nice, but showing its age. I just built a new system, and I'm debating what card I want in it. System specs are as follows:

i5-4670K (@4.8GHz)
8GB RAM
ASUS Z87-A (which, fortunately, does support SLI)
650W SeaSonic PSU (strong 12V rail)

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 10, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Thanks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Would a 650W PSU theoretically be enough for two 760s? Like is that even feasible? It's a quality PSU (this one), but I'm not sure if it has the raw wattage.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 10, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

As far as partners go, is there any nvidia card makers that are best avoided? I'm looking at 770s, and specifically a Gigabyte one, but I have heard bad things about their motherboards as of late, and I was wondering if this continues with their video cards.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm not sure if my 650w PSU can handle dual 760s, plus I'd want to shoot for the 4GB ones, and they're just ridiculously overpriced right now (seriously, $100 for 2GB of loving VRAM? Really?). At least with the 770, I can grab this Gigabyte one with Windforce 3 (or whatever they're calling their cooling solution) for $450 and have good performance.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I'm upgrading from a 560 Ti, so it's a no-brainer.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, I figured as much. I grabbed this card 2 years ago because I needed a moderately priced upgrade for my old box after my previous card died. It's served me well, but I think it's destined to be a PhysX card now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Does Catalyst not have a way to detect for driver and software updates?

I haven't used a Radeon in a while, but I know that Steam can check to see if there's an update for Catalyst drivers, or at least it did.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, if you can sneak a 760 in there, even the 2GB version will make Skyrim flow like butter.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

All this talk about using the 560 Ti as a PhysX card is making me jealous. I'm stuck with one until next month when I can finally get my hands on a 770.

Now, though, I have one final question, and it's a doozy: 2GB, or 4GB? I'm at 1080p. The 770 is already overkill, but, frankly, I like overkill (to an extent, I'm not going towards the 780 :P). 4GB is, obviously, a bit more "future-proof", but it comes with a premium. The big thing is that, for example, EVGA's ACX cooler 2gb 770s are only about $30 cheaper than Gigabyte's 4GB 770 (w/ Windforce 3x). I can shoot for MSI's 2gb Gaming edition Twin Frozr thing, for $409. ASUS's 2gb 770 is $405.

Really, my question is, outside of a heavily modified Skyrim, do I really need 4GB of VRAM at 1080p? I'm reasoning that I'll probably be replacing this card in 3 or so years anyway, so... well... the hell do I do? GOONS! HELP ME! I AM INDECISIVE!

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 24, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

For 1080p I'd personally go for one of the 2GB $400 cards, and I've had good luck with the MSI Twin Frozr series over the past few years. 4GB smells too much like "futureproofing" to me and I'd rather get the 2GB card now and trade it in towards a 4GB card in a year or two when I actually need the extra memory (plus that future card will be faster than the 770).

Yeah, I was thinking about it earlier and was wondering what 4gb really gets me right now.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Nvidia: Wizards.

That is loving amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, that 760 SLI setup is really, really tempting. I'd shoot for it, but currently the 2GB 760s are around $250 dollars, so I'm looking at $500 versus the $400 for a single 770. Granted, the dual 760s would outperform, but I'm wary about the power concerns (heat, thankfully, doesn't seem to be much of an issue with this case). I also feel like it's easier to replace a single card versus two cards when the time comes.

I do like that SLI actually scales well now. I have always thought of it as more of a bragging rights thing, but now it seems to actually work in the consumer's favor.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agreed posted:

I like it when MY speculation is vindicated. I feel good about myself. High fives all around? Anybody? FactoryFactory, you got me here bro?

:hfive:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

When IS the 8000 series due out, anyway? I'm debating waiting on it until I can get my grubby hands on 4GB 760s for non-bullshit prices... :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oh wow, so they're not even pushing out the 8000 beyond the OEMs? Here's hoping they lead to a price drop of Nvidia's line!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I had a 9800 Pro and that thing was amazing at the time. I remember thinking that the heatsink was HUGE. :v:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Radeon FX 5800 Ultra: Revenge of the Dustbuster

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I bet he's got a too cool for school attitude and a snappy catchphrase to back it up. :coal:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Yay, just finished installing my EVGA GTX 770 and I am now running a tri-monitor setup. 2 DVI, 1 Display Port!

Any suggestions on what I should do with my old EVGA GTX 560ti?

Do what I plan on doing with mine: PhysX card that sonuvabitch. It's still plenty fast for that, and shouldn't draw too much power to boot.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

A blower would vent the heat directly out of the back of the case, as opposed to your current situation where the heat is being blown around and into the case. If you're getting heat issues, a blower MIGHT work out better. Might.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

spasticColon posted:

What is this 24-36 hour idle hang people are getting on Nvidia cards? I have a 660Ti and haven't had problems with it yet. On a positive note my ASUS 660Ti hasn't gotten any hotter so maybe its just an airflow issue with my computer case.

One thing I do wonder about is how the gimped memory bus and cut ROPs on the 660Ti doesn't really hurt the card's performance as much as it should. Is Kepler just that good of a GPU architecture?

If it's anything like the 760 (vis a vis the 670), maybe they upped the clock speeds to compensate. Don't quote me on that, though, I'm just speculating.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I finally decided to pull the trigger. Newegg is shipping me an EVGA GTX 760 FTW 4GB thing, probably on Monday. Next objective: get a second one for SLI overkill, because I can. That'll happen sometime soon-ish, until then my current 560 Ti is going to serve as a PhysX card. I'm excited!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just got my 760 today and all I have to say is HOLY loving BATSHIT CRAZY FUCKBALLS! This is one of the most noticeable upgrades I've ever done.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

El Scotch posted:

When are you getting your second one? :getin:

In like 2-3 months, most likely.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

klosterdev posted:

Alright, so I have a question that maybe one of you can answer.

I've currently got an Intel i5 3550 at stock speeds, and a 460GTX. Once the next gen of consoles have been around for maybe a year and graphics cards that can handle thee games aren't ludicrously expensive, I might upgrade. My question is, with 16GB of RAM, would my CPU bottleneck my performance to the extent where getting a graphics card that can handle the latest games wouldn't be worth it? The big reason I'm thinking it might not be a problem is because what with the new consoles running AMD, an Ivy Bridge might be comparable to their latest chips.

Edit: Currently have a 1680x1050 monitor, might upgrade to 1080p down the road.

The chips in the new consoles aren't anywhere near an Ivy Bridge. If I'm not mistaken, even an Ivy Bridge i3 can outperform them (I defer to Factory Factory on that, though). A 3550 is still a solid CPU, and shouldn't end up as a bottleneck, especially not in the timeframe you're talking about.

Also, for 1080p you can throw in a GTX 760 and be perfectly fine for quite some time. I just got one and it's amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Agrajag posted:

Get the 760, it kicks the 560ti in the nuts and curb stomps it into submission.

This. I upgraded from a 560 Ti to a 760, and the difference is so massive and immediately apparent that I am, quite honestly, shocked. poo poo's amazing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SRQ posted:

AMD is ~kinda~ not poo poo on desktops, but on laptops they basically do an android "Your OEM is responsible for your drivers" thing and it ends in a shitshow.
When I had an HP with low end AMD graphics a few years back the display drivers had a build date of 6 months before my purchase and were never updated, it's terrible. They also give OEMS the ability to disable features artificially in order to segregate the market, this is the main reason they don't offer "stock" drivers.

Jesus, that sounds like a massive shitshow.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

EDIT: Disregard, I hosed up my fan curve like a moron. :P

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 16, 2013

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Phiberoptik posted:

I currently have a GTX 760 reference and want to add another one for SLI. Should I get a reference or add one with an after market cooler? I'm planning on doing 1440p. My case has very good airflow.

The primary difference between the reference cards and the custom cooler jobs is that the latter doesn't vent the majority of its heat out of the back of the case. Reference cards are "blowers", they pull air from inside the case, blow it across the heatsink, and exhaust it out the back of the case. The non-reference cooler designs, though definitely capable of out-cooling a reference design, spew that hot air into the case.

Personally, I'd stick with the reference if you're planning on SLI (doubly so because you already have a reference design), especially if you're using air to cool your CPU as well. Two 760s under load can put out a considerable amount of hot air, and that's before considering the heat that the CPU is generating.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So it looks like Nvidia is cooking up a GTX 790 and a GTX Titan Ultra in the face of AMD's next chips.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

FWIW, like I said, the 760 is really god damned impressive. Everything I've thrown at it thus far it has eaten up and asked for more. It's basically a faster, less-expensive 670, after all.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I went through the same exact thing. Eventually I just decided I'd shoot for SLI if I really wanted to, and that beats out a 780 (although it requires more power and generates more heat).

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alereon posted:

I am a cynical bastard because the first thing I thought was "Oh poo poo, they found something they missed in QA!"

It's only two specific models, meaning anyone who bought a 760/770 but didn't get THOSE TWO SPECIFIC MODELS (like me) don't get poo poo.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just wish that I'd be able to get one, considering I bought a 760 (it's the 4GB model because reasons), but nope.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rome 2 is also a hugely unoptimized mess and I wouldn't use it as a benchmark for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, it's just a mess. I can run Shogun 2 at max everything and it's smooth as gently caress, but Rome 2 goes from playable to a loving mess at random. They just did a completely awful job optimizing it.