Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hardware goons, I've just been casually following a discord server with a stock notification bot but otherwise not trying very hard to get a new graphics card, though I'd really like one. With the 30 TI series upon us, will this be a good opportunity to snatch one? What will be the best way to get in on the ground floor of the new SKUs? Without camping in line at a retail store, preferably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

not a dig at you but lol

Yeah I figured "lol" might be an answer but I hoped that with new products shipping maybe there would be a way to get in on a launch surge or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are only three 3080 TI listings in that screenshot and the cheapest one is £1534. ($2178 USD)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doomtrain posted:

Is it also tonight that Nvidia is expected to reveal 3080ti and MSRP?

Yes, at 1AM Eastern apparently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

We know basically nothing about how FSR works so far, but DLSS doesn't need to be trained anymore either

DLSS 1.0 needed training per-game but from 2.0 onward Nvidia trains a single generic model that every game uses

FSR almost certainly will need to be baked into the game like DLSS though so game support will take a while to build up

Yeah, DLSS now has generic modules for Unreal and Unity that basically any dev can use. I dunno how the generic training compares with game-specific training, though. You'd think it wouldn't work as well, but I think most of the recent game updates for DLSS have been on the generic model and it seems good? I guess Nvidia trained the AI enough that it can handle just about any situation.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At $1000, it probably would've been just a little off the fantastic FPS to Price value curve that the 3070 and 3080's MSRPs are on, but at $1200 it's just a slightly worse 3090, and who gives a poo poo about that? Is $1200 really the price point they're looking at now for their "flagship" cards? I get that the market is completely hosed right now, but if this is pre-markup and every AIB is gonna sell models that are hundreds of dollars more expensive than even this, then lmao gently caress that.

Man, remember when the 980 launched at $550? Those were the days.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I am interested to see how FSR performs on my 5700 XT. Who knows, maybe it'll hold me over to the next full gen, since I doubt I'll be able to get a new card before then. I can play most games smoothly on non-RT max settings at 1080p still, at least, and if FSR lets me do that at 1440p that might be good enough, I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

https://archive.is/s92GN

oops this nvidia.com page listed the 3080ti MSRP as $999

did they plan for 999 then realise they can easily get away with more at the last minute

Yes. Basically every credible leak before this announcement said $999, up to like a week before the keynote. They changed the MSRP at the last second to be $200 higher.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

shrike82 posted:

aren't the 3080 ti and 3090 contending for the same chip supply (while the 3080 is separate)?
i wonder how they're going to split the supply between the two

Yes, but the 3080 uses the same chip too. (the GA102) So the chip-sharing situation hasn't really changed.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the real shame of the 3080 ti is how many of those they will produce instead of the 3080. Yes, let's make the regular 3080 even more rare and then charge people out the rear end for an imperceptibly better version, because we can!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Yeah there is absolutely no incentive on Nvidia to bin lower than a card is capable of, but for the fact that in some places 3090s are sticking around on the shelves a bit longer. The 3080ti just makes the 3090 a more attractive proposition though, once you've committed to that price bracket for a luxury product why not shell out the little bit extra for the top of the stack?

99% of gamers would see literally no benefit from the 3090, but i guess a lot of them might not realize that. I don't know how many more chips will be capable of 3080ti performance compared to the old 3080/3090 split, but I do know it ultimately means fewer 3080s on the market at a time when we need more, all so NVidia can engage in a little price gouging of their own.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

axeil posted:

It's not even better! It has worse 0.1% and 1% lows than the 3080 and has some bizarre driver(?) bug that makes the image go black every other frame and has thermals that make the 3080 FE look chilly by comparison.

It's horrible and it'll sell out instantly because the market is hosed.

Not that I disagree with your conclusion, but to be fair the black flicker bug appears to only happen when overclocking.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm sure as poo poo not going, but I wonder what the Novi, MI situation is gonna be like. Back in the day, it seemed like there was always an overabundance of hardware and software availability there due to a general lack of demand in SE Michigan. But if it's the only store in the region getting any stock, it's sure to be a shitshow anyway.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I feel like just sitting and waiting for ShopBLT is my only shot. The Newegg shuffles keep getting worse and worse and the Best Buy drops are instantly gone.

I suppose I should ask if a 3070 will be bottlenecked in any way by a i7-7700 (non-k). I didn't think about it when I ordered since it seems like a reasonably recent processor and all.

A 7700 is old enough to be a hinderance in most cases. You will get lower framerates even in GPU-intensive games. Maybe not by an amount that will be a dealbreaker for you, but it will be an occasional issue. I'd still get a 3070 if you can, but you'll probably end up wanting to upgrade your CPU too before long. Luckily, CPU stock is much more available than GPU stock currently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

is there something in the water today, or is everyone independently deciding to just post like this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lurikeenrock posted:

They could always hand out the vouchers to the people already in line then tell everyone to go home. Too bad stores love to have a line around the block even if it serves no real purpose

They're gonna hand out vouchers, but only an hour and a half before opening.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

taqueso posted:

Are all best buys getting some cards or is it a crapshoot if there will be any at a particular store?

Only these stores https://corporate.bestbuy.com/what-to-know-about-nvidias-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-founders-edition-graphics-card/

edit: One has to wonder why there are six participating stores in Washington but only two in all of New York.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

The market factors that established a $1K GPU segment are not necessarily permanent. You have lots of people with money built up over a pandemic, including stimulus checks, as well as crypto being a driving factor. Plus there's a huge FOMO factor in play at the moment.

If those factors subside there will be considerably less of a market for $1,000+ GPUs

After the previous crypto spike that caused card shortages (when was that, 2018?), card prices did rebound, but only partially. Nvidia and AMD took the opportunity to instate permanent MSRP increases across the board. And I fully expect the same to happen here.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SpartanIvy posted:

There's a big difference between the price going up $100 for the next gen and the price staying double of what it should be. As more performance and features get added prices go up. It's happening with CPUs and everything else.

This is not as normal of a thing as you're making it sound. MSRPs were very stable for like 15 years until crypto became popular.

edit: I'm just saying that I have my doubts we'll ever see an 80ti card below a thousand bucks again.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The Grumbles posted:

My honest opinion is that it'll remain insane forever. The tools people use to snap up stock have gotten way too sophisticated, and covid has caused permanent changes to people's lifestyle habits (even if the outside world opens up, certain things will have changed for good for most people). We're also seeing scalping to this degree going on with other in-demand items, even those that don't rely on ultra-sophisticated manufacturing processes, like trading cards. I really do think we're just at that point of late capitalism, which has been accelerated in certain ways by the pandemic. Hope I'm wrong tho!

While I think there have been some permanent changes, I also believe in chip manufacturer's ability to adapt in the long term. They're already building more new factories to increase supply, and they'll keep building more if they think there's more demand to meet. What I'm mostly skeptical of is 1) that card manufacturers won't find some way to take advantage of the increased demand to raise prices on a permanent basis, and 2) that the crypto currency threat will ever go away. At this point I'm of the belief that the only thing that will remove them as a factor is if governments around the world start outright banning them, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

So basically, I believe that supply will eventually meet demand, but at a higher price, and with periodic shortages remaining a regular occurrence as various crypto currencies surge and crash, as they do.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spacedad posted:

So if I want to get a 3070ti from Best Buy on launch day (in san diego, CA) what would I be looking to do. Like how early would I need to be camping out etc.

Also what's the launch date of that again. June 10th, right?

Well, there was that report of the last person in line for a 3080ti showing up at 4pm the previous day (at a NY store I think?). So if I were crazy enough to camp out for a graphics card, I'd show up a few hours before then to be sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mutata posted:

I'm in discords with a few folks who said they got one even though they got in line at, like, 9am, so it sounds like it was pretty localized as to what people's chances were.

I imagine any bay area store is going to be a shitshow, though. edit: Oh, san diego, not san jose. Dunno, then. Still probably gonna be busy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the checkmark is a nice touch

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've looked at about a dozen different 3080ti reviews in text form and on youtube, and literally the only fully negative one has been the Gamers Nexus review. Every single other review can be summed up with "performance better, card good." "Yeah, it's expensive, but did you see that the performance is [barely] better?" "A must buy if you can afford it." There's absolutely no consideration to historical norms and whether or not a 10% performance bump is actually worth caring about. Some reviewers like ArsTechnica don't even see an issue with the $1200 price and are only talking as if it's the aftermarket price that's the problem. VentureBeat had the balls to say in their review headline that the 3080ti was "significantly faster" than the 3080 while their own benchmarks only showed a marginal 10% improvement. Even when they are honest about the price and performance, they find ways to justify a high score anyway. The Verge admitted the cost is exorbitant for only an incremental upgrade but instead spent the review talking about how great the FE design is (note: it's identical to the regular 3080) and then giving it a 4/5. This is the world of hardware reviews now.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 5, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

mutata posted:

The 3080 TI seems pretty bad when viewed from the 3080 looking up, but it seems pretty great when viewed from the 3090 looking down (which was the point of the LTT review).

TIs have kind of always been the premium tier cards. The REAL critique is that it shouldn't exist at all, of course. It's a nonsense card.

It's all moot though because no one can get it or any card at MSRP anyway.

When viewed from the 3090 looking down, it looks like poo poo because it lacks what largely made the 3090 appealing to people: memory.

And no, they have not always been premium tier cards on this level. Until the 20 series, they were far more affordable. The 1080ti had a 30% performance improvement at just a 15% higher cost, compared to the 3080ti's 10% improvement at a 70% higher cost. The Titan series was the "premium tier" card before.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

The 1080 Ti was an anomaly that will never happen again

I would be sad but unsurprised if we never get such a good value again, true. But the previous Ti cards were at least in the same ballpark, usually just $100 more or so for a decent performance bump.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 5, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i hope he gets one

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xaris posted:

I think the latter seems extremely likely. AIB's have only been moving the more expensive premium versions of their models and the MSRP $699 models haven't budged or been sold since about the first batch. You can see with this EVGA's queuing list where only the premium models have budged at all and the base models haven't at all. I think Nvidia (and AIBs) realized that there's no point in selling a $699 card when you can just add slightly more vram and sell it for $1299, especially with limitations on manufacturing. There's not much need to stratify the line-up going from $100 to $1500 cards, especially since 3080 and TI are virtually the same card with only a few token changes, except just using the didn't-make-the-cut dies for a few slightly cheaper sku's to minimize waste. Nvidia rather underpriced the 3080 in anticipation of AMD having a killer-app and there's no reason for them to continue to really make it when for not really any more effort just slight tweaking allows them to sell a much more lucrative model at significantly more profit. Unless something vastly changes, I think the 3080 production is mostly done-for and seems to have been in the most recent lead-up.

The 3080 and 3080ti are based on the same chip, and yield rates are still a thing. Do you think they're gonna start just throwing out all the GA102 chips that don't meet whatever standards they have for the ti?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CoolCab posted:

it’s kind of darkly funny watching this thread both share the wider negative reaction to the 3080ti’s price and also have a sizeable contingent buying 3090s.

how bad will the 3070ti’s RRP be, I wonder?

The 3070ti's RRP was already announced at $599.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3070ti is gonna be a pretty minor upgrade. The biggest boost in performance will come from the faster memory, which is not a common sales pitch when it comes to GPUs. It will be an interesting test case to see how impactful GDDR6X really is, at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 3060ti is basically the perfect value card for 1080p or 1440p. All benchmarks indicate that it's perfectly smooth at max settings without ray tracing in almost every game out right now at those resolutions. RT capable with DLSS, and it should maintain its value for the next few years. If these were normal times, the 3060ti would be an extremely popular card.

When it comes to VR, it's probably not gonna be able to handle any really high-fidelity VR games perfectly, but if you're already doing VR with a 1060, it would be a very big upgrade.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 8, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, that is a bit worse then, haha. Still a fair bit better than your 1060 (around 50 to 100% better framerates according to some benchmarks), but nowhere near worth that price. The non-ti 3060 is about equivalent to a regular 2070.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spacedad posted:

The 3060 is close to about as good as a 1070ti.

The 3060ti is somewhere between a 1080 and a 1080ti.

The 3070 originally was the 'value card' at msrp 500 bucks for a beefy amount of performance difference that's only slightly worse than a 2080ti, but it's gone up in price.

3060ti is better than a 1080ti by about 10 - 15% in most games according to the techspot benchmarks (which I'm using due to how comprehensive they are. I can't vouch for accuracy. they don't provide methodology or the specs for their testing machine)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know that I'm probably okay with a 5700 XT but it kills me to know that raytracing is just not available to me, even if it's not a big deal in most games and I'm not currently interested in any particular AAA games.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

That said, the 3070 Ti is not a bad value. It's actually very much the card I wish Nvidia would have launched/been able to launch instead of the 3070 - a bit less memory bandwidth bound, a bit more forward looking (VRAM aside, at 1440p that's never going to be a meaningful problem in the actual lifespan of the GPU). Only real downside is the high power target, which does make it a significantly worse GPU for people looking to do compact builds. At AIB MSRP the price bump is a bit high, but that's literally always the case for GPUs > $400 or so that aren't the 3080. In terms of street value and actually buying a GPU... you're still going to buy whatever you can get if you can stomach the price, the MSRP:performance value the reviewers are talking about means absolutely nothing. It'd be a much more useful service to consumers right now to have a page tracking the actual street price of GPUs and comparing that to performance.

The 3070ti is a poo poo product that would be laughed into irrelevance in any normal market. It's not as big of a joke as the 3080ti (which is just offensively bad), but it's still bad. As a card that actually sits between two other viable cards this time (unlike the 3080ti which sits behind the non-gaming-oriented 3090), it being so much closer to the card beneath it than the card above it on benchmarks is actually a pretty big problem from a value standpoint. The 3070ti offers no real value whatsoever over the 3070, while the 3080 is still massively better. This card should've been a $50 step-up at best.

And your desire to abandon MSRP as a comparison point makes no sense. There are still a lot of people buying these things at MSRP. I know I'm never going to buy a card for more than ~10 to 20% above MSRP, and there are a lot of people in my position entering step-up queues, newegg shuffles, waiting for best buy drops, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

K8.0 posted:

We've already seen what 9 months of low MSRPs on the 3070 FE and 3080 FE did to contain prices : absolutely nothing. If you prefer scalpers having that money over Nvidia... ok then.

They're already getting record revenue. I'd rather consumers get a fair price. I don't give a poo poo about the companies profit margins, and neither should you.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

what we as good consumers should always be most concerned with is finding ways to give corporations even more of our money. the less they have to do to earn it, the better

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

k8.0 was saying that unironically though so we can just pretend gradenko was quoting him instead

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As with any hardware, failures can happen with any brand, with products made in any factory. The really high quality stuff is simply more reliable, not literally perfect. You should never take any hardware failures you experience as indicative as the overall quality of the product unless you're capable of inspecting it afterwards with a trained eye and can make an informed judgment on the build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Well, it does seem like the 3080ti and 3070ti launches have, at least temporarily, reduced the ebay prices of video cards slightly. 3080s were like $2,200 to $2,400 a few weeks ago, and now they're $1,800 or so. So... that's something, I guess? Maybe the trend will continue... but probably not.