Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If anyone bought the XFX Thic II

https://www.techpowerup.com/260696/xfx-revises-rx-5700-xt-thicc-ii-cooler-offers-replacements-to-current-owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
If you are running at native 4k instead of upscaling....yeah. 2160p crushes video cards.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hardware Unboxed says they got better performance from dx12. Wierd

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think that's just Ryzen users though?

:unsmigghh:

Maybe don't buy the budget processor and expect to play on launch day, is all I'm saying.

I think you took a wrong turn on the way to the reddit fanboy trolling wars.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, there wasn't a price premium for RTX cards this generation, AMD got greedy and increased prices to follow NVIDIA, it was pretty much just a question of whether you wanted the 2060S, the 5700XT, or the 2070S. Frames per dollar were within about 10% any way you went. Except the AMD cards came with poo poo-tier drivers that crashed constantly.

Equal pricing probably can't happen this generation though given that NVIDIA may have a huge generalized performance advantage in any engine where nvidia integrates DLSS one time and gets it "into the app store" so to speak. This is not game-specific code, it's going to be as widespread as TAA currently is, and NVIDIA will be knocking doors to get this in titles. If AMD doesn't make their cards quite a bit cheaper then they're going to be a hard sell given that NVIDIA gets to double their framerate in any DLSS title.

This will probably be widely celebrated as "AMD dropping prices and NVIDIA trying to gouge you for DLSS!11!!". But, same thing as usual, AMD reacting to a market disadvantage and dropping prices as a result.

Will DLSS 3.0 have a chance to be backwards compatible with RTX 2K series? The 5700XT can still be found for a good chunk of change cheaper than a 2070S right now and is still clearly better than a 2060S. I was on the fence about updating my build guides and switching over to an RTX card since DLSS 2.0 was so good but with limited games support I stuck with the 5700XT in the guide. But if DLSS 3.0 can be put on current gen RTX the story here is completely different.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

shrike82 posted:

MLID is an odd channel - 70K subscribers and his videos get <100K views. Can't imagine it's worth his time. He should pivot to InfoWars-style conspiracy theories; that seems the way to get eyeballs these days.

Dude said he quit his job to do this full time so who knows.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Taima posted:

Even if relative stock for the 3080Ti is better than the 2080Ti launch, I’m assuming that quarantine will cause feverish, insane demand at almost any price point they care to set.

My plan is to try to grab an FE the nanosecond that’s possible, and if that fails, keep my ear to the ground on a few forums to track partner boards as they arrive. I fully expect this to be a fuckin’ battle.

I sat out the 2080Ti, what were the winning strategies then?

I got a 1070 right when they released by ocd trolling amazon listings / nowinstock

Why the desperation? Cyberpunk is releasing in mid November. 3070 is on track to release in October and the 3060 shortly afterwards. AMD is going to break its back to get mid range RDNA 2.0 out the door before Thanksgiving (US).

The winning strategy for the 2080Ti era was not to buy the RTX 2XXX series at all,

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

OhFunny posted:

I don't see nvidia stagnating both in hardware development or corporate culture (à la no price cuts) as Intel did with Jensen at the helm.

Nvidia immediately countered the 5000 series with their Super line and forced AMD to cut prices before launch to remain competitive.

The fact that they pushed out RTX and DLSS at when they were ahead in the game as a preemptive move, as opposed to a reactionary move, seems to indicate that they are willing to take risks to innovate and continue to expand their lead in this segment. Or at the very least move to head off any potential threats that may appear on the horizon. I agree there is nothing remotely similar in the situation regarding AMD CPU vs Intel. AMD is still playing from behind on this one.

Nvidia's weakness might be if they continue to overplay their hand in the mid and upper mid-level GPUs segment. The 5700(XT) has broken the ice in terms of offering gamers a competitive product at a lower price point. It was well-reviewed and has them in the conversation again though they absolutely cannot afford another 6-month driver fiasco as they did with RDNA 1.0. People may have been wary of drivers and continued to buy the 2070S at a premium but if they clean that up, and when ray-tracing really starts to hit home in games AMD is going to have a second shot at recapturing a part of that market when 2060S and 2070S users start struggling with RTX on. If RDNA 2.0 can deliver the goods that is.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

K8.0 posted:

DLSS is a factor too. CP2077 has a good chance to be THE game everyone cares about benching for several years the way TW3 was, and Nvidia has a huge lead baked in. Unless they have some incredibly unlikely tricks up their sleeve, AMD is in a worse position in the GPU space than they've ever been.

While I am not a technical guru, I have read and heard from others that while AMD cannot use image reconstruction in the form of DLSS, there are other methods of image reconstruction available that AMD could utilize for a DLSS-like feature that does not require the use of tensor cores found on the Nvidia lineup. It might not be as good but it may be another case, like power efficiency, where 'good enough ' will get the job done with respect to matching features.

As it is, CP2077 ran at 60fps at 1080p with ray tracing on................using a 2080TI. This is what I was getting at with the 2060 and 2070 class of cards probably being tossed when and if ray tracing hits the big time in games in the coming year. This is also why in the partpicker thread I tell people not to buy anything right now if ray tracing is what they want.

This to me represents AMD's window back into this market.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Taima posted:

The craziest thing to me (besides the fact that DLSS2 is better than native, which still amazes me)

From what I have read and seen from screenshots, while you gain greater detailing than native in some cases, the process also introduces artifacts that rendering in native resolution doesn't. The fact that you can get an acceptable image quality upscaling to gain large FPS gains when compared side by side with native is amazing. I agree there. But to say it is strictly better than native....that is a stretch.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mr.PayDay posted:

In the 2018 forum threads I was
But I was told I was wrong and Turing is an overpriced shitshow with features no one needs.
“DLSS is rear end, Raytracing costs 50+ % frames, this is such a fail, lmao Nvidia”.
That was the consensus and I was the dumb tech nerd who fell for Nvidia to buy an overpriced 2080Ti in their eyes.

That's a wierd flex when the correct play was not to buy Turing though. All of the criticism was true and is still true to this day.

Anyone who didn't buy Turing will get DLSS and Ray Tracing at a better price on Ampere when the features are starting to come online. The only reason a lot of people care now is that CP 2077 is coming out with both major pieces of tech supported.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rinkles posted:

Maybe the AMD customer is more discerning about sharing data.

lol doubtful.

I am surprised their 5500 and 5600 cards are not even listed. Are they not moving any units of that?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is "Moore's Law is dead" pandering to the same crowd? His videos always clickbaiting that Big Navi is going to crush X.

He has been fairly consistent in saying that RNDA 2 will be competitive but that Nvidia will likely keep the crown. DLSS notwithstanding though we are still waiting to see if widespread adoption is coming and when.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That would be hugely optimistic, let's put it that way. The new cards are competing with Turing, as much as loyal AMD users hate to face it. I don't expect anything much better than 2080ti-tier speeds on their fastest cards.

AMD simply aren't the ones to go to for the extreme high-end, they haven't been for years. They're all about the segments underneath it (and they do well there)

Do you know something we don't? The new Xbox should be just about as powerful as a 2080Ti. Are you saying that AMD is not interested in releasing a high-end RDNA2 card and will simply stay in the mid-range as they did with RDNA1 or are you saying that the Xbox SoC is literally the best performance they can wring out of RDNA 2?

Not being snarky, just curious.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Cygni posted:

in what, tflops? if tflops were all that mattered, the Vega 64 would be faster than a 2080 Ti. it is not.

Not sure what you are getting at. No one has an Xbox doing testing so yes, tflops is what we have to go by. Or do you too have information that we don't to know that it is poo poo?

DrDork posted:

The XBoSxX claims 12 TFLOPs vs the 2080Ti's 14+ TFLOPs, so even on paper it's trailing by 15% off the start. The released clock rates of ~1.8Ghz is about where the base clocks of current Navi cards are, with boost clocks around 2Ghz. So if they just ported it over directly like that with ~2Ghz clocks, yeah, it could probably be somewhere close to or a bit below 2080Ti performance under optimal conditions (never forget that TFLOPs don't tell the whole story thanks to drivers and game optimizations--and RDNA1 tended not to scale nearly as well with resolution vs Turing in some games).

That they'll have something at least a bit higher than that seems natural. I'd expect that they didn't wring every bit of performance out of something they had to slap into a SoC and share a power budget with a CPU on. But how much higher they bother going? Total mystery right now, and prices are also an open question. If I were AMD and knew I had a competitive product, though, I'd start messaging that real goddamned soon, or NVidia is gonna release Ampere into an environment where people are salivating for new cards.

On the other hand, AMD has traditionally been quite ok with tapping out around the xx60/70 level, on the argument that that's about where volume profits start to drop off. Sure, the xx80Ti and Titan make $$ profits, but they don't sell anywhere near as many of them as they do lower-tier cards, where the "real" money is made via volume sales. I honestly could see them hanging around in the mid tier for one more generation, then using the hot cash injection they've gotten from Zen to try to turn it up to 11 for whatever their next gen will be.

Yes, I agree that Tflops is meaningless but it is all we have. I was asking the poster who basically flat out stated they *know* AMD isn't going to try to compete in the high end this year and that their expected best performer is around a 2080Ti. To me, this makes no sense. The Xbox is going to be close to the 2080Ti in raw Tflops on a 56 CU die. The rumors of an 80 CU RDNA 2 card being in the works has been literally around forever.

So unless the poster was just spitballing, one of two things must be true. Either he knows the 80 CU card is cancelled and just like what happened with RDNA 1 or that he knows that RNDA 2 on the Xbox isn't going to come close to the 2080Ti and AMD needs the 80 CU discrete GPU to match the 2080Ti in performance. And he didn't sound like he was just spitballing given the certainty of his tone. If I misinterpreted and he is just goofing around like the rest of us, fair play, thats why I asked for clarification.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Same goes for video cards, people are sort of jumping the gun at the moment saying they'd gladly pay $1500-2000 for a card...forgetting exactly how many people have been affected by the pandemic (job/wage losses, no 2nd stimulus yet, no additional unemployment, etc). Unless people get some government help within like the next couple weeks tops (yeah loving right), I don't see NV selling many cards at those ridiculous prices.

I don't think it is the same crowd. As many people that are now in tough times, there are people who are still working and now have ample discretionary funds because they stopped going out and have no vacation expenses.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

shrike82 posted:

Because there might actually be games out that need the power in a year’s time?

Arguing that not rushing to buy Ampere at launch is equivalent to never wanting to upgrade is a galactic brain take.

The reason why the hype train is reaching the ridiculous levels it is at now is thanks to Cyberpunk featuring RT and DLSS. For a lot of gamers (myself included), this is a must-have day 1 title and sure as hell want my 60-90 FPS with RT on when I play that. Big Navi might arrive in time to compete but hell, I am going back to Team Green if thats what it takes.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

Flight Simulator doesn't even use DX12 currently, their first priority rendering-wise will probably be that to help alleviate the massive CPU bottlenecks.

Is this why it runs like dogshit right now?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Space Gopher posted:

Funny, I thought everyone who was buying hardware for day one sick graphics in Cyberpunk would have already picked up a 2080Ti for that April release. Maybe even one of those co-branded promotional cards.

Preordering games is silly, preordering singleplayer games is especially silly, and dropping a bunch of bills on hardware for your preorder is just ludicrous.

You are a weird troll.

shrike82 posted:

if games don’t support DLSS at launch, that’s going to be a problem

imagine the lols if CP2077 doesn’t support DLSS or RTX at launch, that’s another game that’s been in the oven for a while. and there hasn’t been much preview-wise highlighting Nvidia tech outside of a couple screenshots

CP2077 will have both for sure. The Youtubers that got access and got paid to do it all had 2080Ti's and were literally paid to tell people by CDPR and Nvidia that the game will support both techs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kraftwerk posted:

So is the 3000 series cancelled now? I thought it was supposed to be awesome but it seems the mood here has soured.

We have simply swung to the other extreme where we bitch about prices for our on-screen polygons. Give it a week or so and when Jensen gets on stage, we will all be lining up to suck his toes again.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mr.PayDay posted:

So how many more weeks or months will AMD be stalling leaks and news?

Will they openly allow losing the 3070 and 3080 target group? Because they will if the rumors are true they won’t launch new AMD GPUs before November.

That’s like 2 months of Nvidia selling next gen GPUs without any competition.

They won't say a word until Jensen takes the stage. There is no reason to tip your hand first of you cant launch first.

It's not like cards are on sale right now. It is unlikely they will take the performance crown anyways so they can let the 3090 have its day. They just need to counter punch before the 3070 hits.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DrDork posted:

I disagree. While I wouldn't be dropping price points or specific performance notes yet, they could certainly have started priming the hype train by now and at least keeping themselves in people's minds so they don't automatically just buy NVidia for a lack of any other options. They did this before, albeit poorly, with the "Poor volta" stuff. Instead there's been...nothing.

It's gonna be real hard for them to do anything useful once Ampere launches unless they're ready to commit to both price and performance targets like the day after Ampere is revealed, and even then they'd have to have cards near ready to go, which by all accounts they do not.

It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. If they are vague then any effort they put in will just be swept away by Jensen the moment they get onstage. They might even be openly mocked because people will say they are too scared to show what they have.

If they say this is what Big Navi can do, then Jensen can react appropriately on stage and have the ability to react AND launch first so why would you do that?

It's not like the cards are going on sale the moment Jensen walks out. Dodge the hype train and counter punch once you know the pricing and specs you are competing against.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DrDork posted:

But to have pretty much not even mentioned that they're working on new cards for the last 6 months or so does not suggest much confidence in their product. Maybe that's the take, then: they know even Big Navi is gonna struggle against anything above the 3070 (and maybe even there), so why waste marketing dollars on trying to get hype and mindshare and attention when they're just gonna have to play the value card again?

What are you talking about? RDNA 2.0 has been on every roadmap and presentation. They publicly talk about the fact it will be on an enhanced 7nm node. You have to be under a rock to not know RDNA 2 doesnt exist.

They are just keeping their marketing powder dry for reasons already stated. And as stated before something is very wrong if they can only match a 3070 on a 80 CU chip when the XBOX gets close on a 56 CU SoC.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

DrDork posted:

Thing is, none of that's actually been shown. We have TFLOPs out of the XBox, which is...uh...vaguely useful in a general sense, but as we've seen before, AMD cannot always translate raw FLOPs into meaningful gaming performance.

And, sure, RDNA2 "exists." And that's...about it. No indication of how big they're even making it--the 80 CU part is a rumor, that's it. The only part they've actually put much into is saying that RDNA 2 should offer up to 50% better perf/watt than RDNA 1, which is cool, but doesn't say much for final performance.

AMD has said pretty much diddly about any actual PC cards using RDNA2, and instead has let Sony/Microsoft chatter about FLOPs and leave everything else as a wild unknown.

Eh. If an 80-CU part does exist, and if we can assume a flat 50% increase in performance (lol), it could very well beat a 3070. Of course, an 80 CU part would also be hilariously expensive, so it might be a case of a $1000+ AMD card trying to trade punches with a $600-$800 NVidia card. :iiam:

The same guys that accurately leaked Ampere are leaking the 80CU RDNA2. Like technically since nothing about Ampere has been officially announced, no one "knows" diddly squat about Ampere either.

While it is funny to troll with Vega 64 lulz, it isn't like the 5700 lineup was garbage or something. They have recently rebranded RDNA 2.0 into Navi 2x. We know the 5700XT has 40 CUs. What is 2x40? So you be the judge of why they would rename it something like that. We "know" the 3070 is at 2080 Ti performance. So what is 5700/5700Xt doubled?

I doubt AMD can take the performance crown with Nvidia turning out monsters like the 3090. Which is precisely why they are going to hang tight to see where and how they can slot in their top RDNA 2 card on the market after Jensen gets on stage.

But I guess if people want to think their best product can't beat a 2080Ti, I guess you can live in that world too. Anything is possible but that would be a flop of the most epic proportion.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Gabriel S. posted:

Is anyone dead set on pre-ordering?

Gonna wait for reviews to see which AIB model to get and take a look at benchmarks. Cyberpunk not in until November anyways.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
499 for 3070 wow. They are going for the killing blow on AMD. Either that or RDNA 2 is godlike or something.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Taima posted:

They are going completely and utterly out of their way to avoid saying absolutely anything about the 3090 and its weird as gently caress

They even seem to have taken it off that loving chart because it goes to 1400, the before-rumoured price, like they just decided to bump that poo poo to 1500 and remove it from the chart last minute.

Saving details as a counter for AMD. Today is a stiff jab to make AMD react and show their hand.
When they do they will nail down 3090 pricing and it will be the left hook that finishes the fight this tier.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

shrike82 posted:

no new slate of DLSS games announced during the presentation which is disappointing - not sure why they aren't pushing partnerships with devs more aggressively

This is the only thing that is still giving me pause on Ampere. While Big Navi won't beat the 3090, I find unlikely they won't have a competent 3080 competitor at a cheaper price that doesn't double as a personal space heater. DLSS remains an ace in the hole but only if mass adoption begins to happen.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mr.PayDay posted:

Herkelman (CVP & GM AMD Radeon) just answered with a 🤔

https://twitter.com/sherkelman/status/1300842481886662658
Is this a smirk “too soon” ? Is it defeat?
No counter ? No leaks ? Allowing AMD to lose the first wave to 3070 and 3080?

The AMD Reddit already had nice meltdowns and deleted hysterical posts and threads.

Or in other words: On a scale from 0 to 3090, how hosed is AMD now?

It has been less than 12 hours since Huang walked on stage. Relax, RDNA 2 leaks will be coming soon. Certainly before the 3080 launches. You will know AMD is royally hosed if you don't hear anything in the next 2 weeks.

Subjunctive posted:

How do you think that AMD will manage to exceed NVIDIA on efficiency? What evidence has there been that they'll even be able to hit the 3080 mark ignoring DLSS capability? Many second-place market contenders have learned that just wanting really badly to catch the leader doesn't get you there, and AMD's record on this stuff--especially in terms of running cool--doesn't make me at all confident that they'll catch the 3080 in 2020 at least.

TMSC's 7nm node is already better than the Samsung node that Nvidia is using for gaming Ampere. This is why they will run quieter. The latest leaks have RDNA 2 using TSMC's n7P (not EUV) which can supply another 10% saving in energy or 7% clock speed, your choice. I don't think I heard RDNA 2 being moved on TSMC 7nm EUV (N7+) which would be even better. It is almost certain the node advantage will let RDNA 2 win the efficiency crown.

DLSS remains their trump card but DLSS is not in every title yet. I am optimistic about mass adoption by next year but that is not certain. But without DLSS, there is no reason to doubt that AMD can crank outsomething that can match the 3080. They matched the 2070 with RDNA 1 with 5700XT and cancelled their top RDNA 1 die which was scheduled to compete with the 2080 (original 'Big Navi'). Maybe some day we will know why but it might have been the fact that RDNA 1 had issues with power consumption despite being on TSMC N7. Thats probably why they didn't come out with their rumored 72 CU RDNA 1 card. But now that we know XBOX and PS5 have RDNA 2 on an APU that maxes out at 300W. A discrete RNDA 2 GPU can have 300W to itself (less power than the 3080) so a full sized 80 CU RDNA 2 GPU should be able to match or come close to the 3080 which is about 25% better than a 2080Ti.

I believe in Ampere and will probably be on the 3080 train after reviews come out and we get a better idea or what RDNA 2 is or isn't. But to act like they can't catch the 3080 is hubris. Jensen wouldn't be nearly as aggressive as he was today in pricing if he himself didn't think that RDNA 2 was a threat.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

movax posted:

I was going to ask — one of the historical differentiators all the way back to the ATI R100/R200 days was that driver quality differed greatly. I've never first-hand owned or run an ATI/AMD GPU — is this historical FUD or do AMD drivers still leave a lot to be desired vs NV?

Some people are legitimately screwed over. 5700XT was a great example. The mainstream reviewers never had issues on their setups. I had occasional black screens until the big Xmas update. For a small minority of people, problems continue to persist. There is a dude on Youtube that consistently tests every single release beta or otherwise and can report bugs on one setup or another.

VorpalFish posted:

RDNA was basically at parity vs turing efficiency wise, and that was tsmc7 vs 12.

I don't think the situation improves vs ampere on Samsung 8. They may still be on a better process, but that gap is shrinking.

Yes, but they obviously fixed that for RDNA 2 since it the APU can fit on a 300W package of which the GPU can only get a portion of that. So unless you have magic information that we don't that says they can't keep the same efficiency when scaling past 56 CUs at the XBOX clock speeds then you are really just blowing smoke.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 2, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

VorpalFish posted:

Given the amount of reliable information available right now, any claims made by anyone is just "blowing smoke." But I'd feel pretty confident betting that performance will not scale linearly with power consumption, and I'd also be pretty confident that rdna2 won't beat ampere in efficiency.

edit: most of that SOC power will be consumed by the GPU as well, probably putting it close to 200W, and on top of that, we don't actually really know what the gaming performance even is. Extrapolating that RDNA2 is somehow "fixed" based on the consoles doesn't track.

Leakers have gotten Ampere mostly right. While the details might have been off, we have largely known what their performance was going to be like and that they will be power hogs. Performance numbers for the 3070 and 3080 were reported accurately as early as May and June of this year. The fact that they were stuck on a power-hungry node was well known by early July.

Those same guys are hinting that the RDNA 2 80 CU is real, and that it will be more power-efficient than Ampere. So unless you have the info we don't, saying things like they will never touch the 3080 is absurd. The reasonable estimate is that they will match or come close to the 3080 but can't beat it or the 3090 to take the performance crown.

Of course, we will all know in a few weeks' time what is actually true.

Some Goon posted:

Multiple mainstream reviewed reported crashes, it just wasnt apparent from the handful of reviews and limited testing how widespread and persistent it was.

I was aware the cards overclocked poorly and some of their software was awful and would bug or crash out if you tried to push them, but I wasn't aware of the extend of the problem for an average user. And I did a lot of reading before I bought my 5700XT

MikeC fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 2, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

repiv posted:

except moores law is dead, who should be thrown in the trash and never listened to again

he made so many extremely specific claims and none of them panned out :lmao:

To be fair, he did have sources that allowed him to napkin math a "3080 Ti" at 2x 2080 back in late March. Exactly where Jensen's own presentation today said it would be.

Techtubers gonna hype and say crazy poo poo. They gotta get views.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

BurritoJustice posted:

What an unnecessary low shot at DF. Not the first time HU have slung poo poo at better reviewers without solid basis. He could've framed this in a way that is less accusatory and made a more compelling point

Unless you are a DF or Nvidia fanboy, you wouldn't see that as accusatory. He is saying what every reasonable person including DF themselves have said in their own piece. Wait for full reviews.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

redreader posted:

Yeah I'm not ruling out the idea of getting an AMD card. My new lg monitor supports g-sync and freesync. Either way I should be able to get a massive upgrade over my 980.

DLSS is going to be hard to beat. For me, unless AMD has something compelling like much better RT support, which they might be able to do with 'biggest Navi' since they will cram 80 CUs each with its own RT hardware in it compared to the 3080's 68 SMs/RT cores, for me to consider it over the 3080. Or unless AMD really shows that it has a "good enough" DLSS alternative in the pipeline. The better ray-tracing thing might be a possibility although the technical wizards say that AMD's approach by using the texture mapping units in the CU to do the ray tracing has 'higher overhead ' might make that a moot point.

Either that or it turns out every 3080 will be a full-on jet engine in your room or something.

edit: Or it is at least 100 bucks cheaper.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whatever AMD's ray-tracing solution is going to be, it won't use tensor cores, since obviously AMD's cards won't have them. The worst-case scenario would probably be something like an Ampere card being less performant than an RX 6000 if the Ampere card is trying to do ray-tracing without tensors, but I'd consider that really unlikely, considering Nvidia is ahead of them in this sector, and knows that it has to deploy its development arm to make sure that its cards are well-supported. And especially if the ray-tracing implementation is going to be done through a more generic API/library (sic?) in the form of DX12 Ultimate. And especially since ray-tracing isn't all about tensor cores anyway.

Tensor cores are not for RT. They are for DLSS among other things. There are dedicated RT cores in Turing and Ampere. AMD's solution according to the Xbox presentation is to repurpose the texture mapping units within each CU to be able to do RT calculations instead.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Rolling Scissors posted:

When people say this do they mean the future potential of DLSS is hard to beat? Because right now, the amount of games that support it, is frankly pathetic. And looking at the list of games that are coming out, it's not impressed either.

I mean that even if Big Navi can trade with Ampere blow for blow in raw power, would you buy that card that has one of the most important forward-looking technologies that is confirmed to be out on the most anticipated title this year? Or not?

Big Navi has to offer me two of the following for me to consider it if it cannot match DLSS

1) Significant RT performance over Ampere so that DLSS-like technology is not required or as necessary. Ampere's RT improvements over Turing for me was disappointing. The 2080Ti was reported to be struggling to hit 60fps at times on 1080p w/ DLSS and RT on. Lets say CDPR optimizes on the version that the Youtube Influencers played and the 3080 is indeed 1.5x-2x stronger. That means even with the 3080, I will only get around 60 FPS w/ RT and DLSS on with my 1440p monitor. I was hoping for more to be honest.

2) A similar level of raw power of a 3080 but is much quieter. I don't care about Ampere being a power hog if someone can get a cooling solution that isn't a jet engine. But if every 3080 is going to be loud as gently caress then that is a consideration for me.

3) A steep discount for similar raw power. Like if Big Navi comes out 100+ dollars USD cheaper than the 3080 I'll obviously think about it.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

I get what you are saying but at the end of the day if you are on the market for a new GPU, are you going to buy the one with the forward-looking features that are already proven to be outstanding in the few games they are on? Or are you going to buy the one that has the same horsepower but doesn't have this same feature?

If you aren't in the market for a GPU then you aren't in the market for a GPU then you should wait, I totally agree.

But some of us want RTX *now* for CP 2077 regardless of what is in our rig. That is the calculus at play here.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

shrike82 posted:

FS2020 on a 2080 Ti runs at 35FPS at 4K ultra so that's going to be the game to watch

Flight sims by nature can get away with 30 FPS. That level of performance with current hardware was probably targetted.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
I am amused by the never ending cycle of AMD is finished this time everytime a new gen is launched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

VorpalFish posted:

Who's actually saying that though? AMD being forced to offer better price/performance does not at all mean they're finished.

Should have quoted I guess.

Malcolm XML posted:

If RDNA2 cannot at least be a decent competitor to the 3080/3090 then AMD is finished in the discrete GPU segment since there's very little reason to buy AMD if the development work is going nVidia, where you get value-adds like RTX voice and NVENC that simply won't work on AMD

Obviously an over the top take but amusing none the less. I continue to hold out hope that RDNA 2 brings back some reasonable degree of competition in the upper mid range to high end space. Even if it is just raw performance without the software stack.