Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm in a similar situation. Just got a 32" 4k monitor and currently have a 970. My gaming needs are pretty light (XCOM 2, Battletech, Stellaris.) I just tried running XCOM 2 on 4k with maxed settings as a test and even though the FPS were visibly lower, it wasn't unplayable by any means. Bumping it down a tad makes it fine again.

So I dunno, 2060, Vega 56/64, 2070 with an eBay coupon or other sale? It's hard to read benchmark comparisons because it seems like so much splitting hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah. Just that residual urge to min/max poo poo, I guess.

The good thing is that with no immediate need, I'm definitely not buying anything unless it's on sale, either via ebay coupon or some other means.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

May have found an ok buy, B-stock EVGA 1080s for $400. On the EVGA website.

Is there any reason that would be a dumb move? The B-stock 1080 Ti units are $600 and 1070 Ti are $390 by comparison.

Edit: a lot of what I'm seeing says that the 1080 and 2060 are neck and neck, and the latter is $50 cheaper, so I dunno if there's anything I'm missing

The Rat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 30, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Cripes,I didn't realize the historical price difference, that's depressing. I was just thinking compared to the new 20xx models.

Here's the site I was looking at for comparisons, with the resolution comparison set at 4k. https://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=4051&gid2=1701&compare=geforce-gtx-2060-5gb-vs-geforce-gtx-1080

Edit: some of them B-stock Titan units go between $330-400, does that compare well at all? I thought those were $1k+ when launched.

Edit 2: whoa those do not compare well at all on the benchmarks

The Rat fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 30, 2019

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Sounds like patience is the better option right now then. Thanks for the input! Last time I dipped my toes in these waters was 3 years ago when I built a 970-based machine.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I caved and got a 1080 Ti from Craigslist for $500 :suicide:

Seems to be running well though! 4k ultra for both XCOM2 and Battletech so far.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Retroblique posted:

A quick PSA. Somehow I've managed to go the last 30 months or so, since I built my current system, with my RAM (2x8GB sticks) in a single channel configuration instead of dual channel. I've no idea how that happened because I'm usually quite careful about that sort of thing, but I think it was a combination of my previous motherboard having the dual channels arranged consecutively rather than alternately, and the color coding being two shades of gray with low contrast.

I've had my suspicions that my GTX 1070 was somehow being bottlenecked, but I just assumed it was the CPU (i5-6600K), despite third party benchmarks suggesting that shouldn't really be the case. And I haven't been getting bad performance out of the GTX 1070, quite the contrary, but because I typically run stuff at 1440p, I just assumed it was perfectly normal to have to nudge various visual settings down from Ultra to Very High/High and go for a very basic AA setting to get framerates in the 45-60fps region. Other games (such as Doom) were staying at 60fps fine.

Last night I just so happened to come across some optimizing guide for Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Someone with a GTX 1070 was having framerate issues and while everyone was offering useful troubleshooting advice, one solution stood out, where it was recommended he check to see if his RAM was running in dual channel mode because many Ubisoft games can be quite RAM dependent. My initial reaction was, "Well, I'm not sure that'll help me, I'm 99% positive my RAM's dual channel because I always make sure it is!" And various replies to that suggestion suggested the performance difference between single channel and dual channel was near enough zero. But something compelled me to fire up CPU-Z, hit the memory tab, and sure enough my RAM was being reported as running in a single channel configuration. Five minutes later, I'd opened up my machine, swapped one of the sticks into its rightful slot, closed her up again, ready to fire up Odyssey to see if it had made any difference (and expecting there to be nothing).

HOLY loving poo poo.

It was like I'd upgraded my video card. Not only was Odyssey running at 60fps in 1440p, but I was able to crank all the settings up to maximum. I rode my horse around crowded areas, got into fights, no framerate dips whatsoever. Solid 60ps. I then started firing up other games. Watch Dogs 2? I previously had to turn a lot of poo poo way down to even get 45fps at 1440p, and even then the framerate wavered between 30-45fps and driving a car around anywhere would result in uneven framerates. Now I was able to crank everything up to Ultra and was driving around without any framerate issues. Tried a bunch of other stuff where I'd previously had to make small compromises -- Far Cry 5/New Dawn, Dishonored 2, Prey, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Hitman, Project Cars 2, No Man's Sky, The Witcher 3, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4, etc. Everything was now running a buttery smooth 60fps at max settings.

Long story short, if you suspect your video card is underperforming vs. similar setups, CHECK YOUR RAM CHANNEL CONFIGURATION! And ignore anyone who says single vs. dual doesn't matter, because for me the difference in performance was like night and day. Now I feel like a right loving chump having gone so long with so much untapped power under the hood of my GTX 1070, but at the same time it's so liberating to get such a significant boost without having to spend a single dime.

:psypop: Holy poo poo thank you for posting this, I just downloaded that program and checked my PC and found that I've been in single channel for the last 3 years too. Just fixed it now though!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I got a used 1080 Ti from Craigslist for 500 bucks and it's running my 4k monitor on ultra settings with no noticeable issues.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Recreational shooting/guns as a hobby (excluding those who make it a compulsion) makes PC building seem cheap.

Yeah this is why I went for a heavier-specced PC for my recent build. It was like, even with pretty high end stuff, it's gonna be what, $1700ish? Nothing compared to most of my long guns. And that's something that I'll use every day, unlike my rifles.

At least it was warranted, since my old PC was choking a bit processing 80mp photos. This one handles them... Better, but still a bit slow. Will probably replace the used 1080Ti in it with whatever the top end of the next gen cards are, whenever those come out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Used 1080 ti here for a bit over a year on 4k/60hz. Haven't had any issues with it, and it's handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

What's the warranty on the Nvidia founders editions like compared to EVGA? Both in terms of years covered and ease of communication with the process.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh yeah, the transferable warranty is a good point.

I'll probably get an EVGA model of one of the higher end cards, but which one depends on the specs and performance. Currently I roll 4k like an idiot, but I'm also hoping that the card will help with photo processing since I take 80mp shots.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Just a quick tally again-
Who plans to get a reference card for the long run and who's going AIB?

Rough plan is an EVGA 3080. Upgrading from a used craigslist 1080 Ti from 1.5 years ago. Goal is being able to skip the next generation before upgrading, while being on 4k60.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

akadajet posted:

I couldn’t find a windowless meshify c when I was looking. But the black tempered glass looks nice enough with no rgb stuff turned on

Same, I ended up with a gargantuan windowless Meshify S2 as a result.

And then two weeks later the windowless C's came back in stock.

:suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Currently on the local craigslist:

$180 1080 Ti
$170 2070S
$150 2070
$450 2080
$750 1080 Ti

And of course none of it interests me since I'm just waiting on that 3080. Crazy to see the used market fluctuate so much though.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Romulux posted:

drat, that's cold.

Same thing happened to me about five times this morning.

This morning basically felt like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isqYaFRQaLs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

The video description is creepy AF

lmao poo poo I didn't even notice that

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Someone on the local craigslist just posted a Zotac 3080 for $1500.

My first impulsive thought was "man I should rob this MFer."

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

This is what it's giving me when I try to add to cart:

Service Unavailable - Zero size object
The server is temporarily unable to service your request. Please try again later.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

FE drop with a captcha, stuck on captcha.

Also same.

edit: refreshed the page and now it shows OOS.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Holy fuuuuuck just ordered a 3080 FE from Nvidia, let's see if this actually works or if I get flagged as a bot.

For the record no bot, someone just let me know about it right as I came out of the bathroom.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

So far two emails: one that says order received/processing your order, one that says payment successful. Card has been charged. :ohdear:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Uhhhhh no you see I am a real live meat human with gristle and feelings and intestines and was definitely not manufactured and coded by Bob Page

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I just got my shipping notice too :toot:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It has arrived and is installed.

I AM

WE

YEEE-EEEE-EEE-SSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

money can be exchanged for goods and services!

I was waiting for someone to say this :lol: