Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
My 570 is also unusable. It started with driver crashes then bsods and now I just get complete system lockups with no blue screen. 314.22 drivers haven't helped. This thing was rock solid since I got it at release until a few months ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Does anyone want to trade 290x's with me? I have an MSI 290x gaming with the twin frozr cooler but I'd like a reference board so I can add it to my water cooling loop. It's a few weeks old and has not been used for mining nor has it been over clocked.

Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll start a thread in SA Mart so it's all documented and legit. I'd definitely prefer a card with a transferable warranty tat hasn't been mining 24/7. I'd also take a reference gtx780.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Welp I couldn't handle the coil whine on my evga 980ti so I had to send it back. I couldn't hear it on air since the fan was defective and very noisy but once I got a waterblock on it the whine was very annoying. At least there was an actual defect with the fan so I feel less bad about returning it.

Can anyone anecdotally suggest a card less likely to have the issue?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I have a full loop in a monstrous case labs case. I am going to see how an air cooled 3080 performs, noise wise, and I’ll probably tear out the whole loop if it’s fine.

Water cooling has been very good for my 980ti but kind of a waste for my cpu. Especially since I have a horizontal motherboard and can strap any manner of giant air coolers to it without worrying about cantilevered weight.

I’d like to be able to swap out components more easily. It’s such a pain in the rear end with a hardpiped water system.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I have a Caselabs case where the motherboard is horizontal. I water cool at the moment but it certainly makes having huge gently caress off gpus and cpu coolers a lot easier.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Well looks like a new video card will cut my oil use this winter. Electric heat for my office!

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

sean10mm posted:

TUF used to be a near-top tier product line that was massively overbuilt, but now it's more like just a step above entry level.

ROG Strix is their XTREME GAMERZ stuff.

PC graphics card marketing is just the absolute worst.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Gabriel S. posted:

Is anyone dead set on pre-ordering?

I’m basically ready to hand over a bunch of cash but I need to see thermal performance to decide if I’m going with the reference layout, an AIB, or keeping my water cooling loop.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

spunkshui posted:

Turns out games still really love fast cores, not 12 of them.

These 5.0 GHz all core 9600Ks my wife and I are running should be just fine for this 3080 generation.

Not saying it won't stay that way but no one has really designed a game for the PS5 or new XBOX yet. To say that games will be optimal on lower core count cpus for the entire generation is a bit premature.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Black Griffon posted:

Boy howdy, everyone just had a miserable day today, huh.

I’m actually more irritated that stores broke street date for PS5 preorders instead of posting them this morning like they were supposed to. I was under no illusion that I’d be able to get a 3080 today.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Malcolm XML posted:

yes I know, but if supply is limited some kind of lottery system is fairer

econ 101 lol

I'd even be fine with an extended pre-order. Like just let me give you a nominal deposit and ship me a card when you get it so I don't have to keep up this nonsense for weeks while cards go in and out of stock.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

El_Molestadore posted:

Speaking of Zotac; it's here :toot:

How does one card support both fire storms and ice storms?

:iiam:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah I also got all the way to confirm order on a 3090FE then came to my senses. It was surprisingly easy with the add to cart link and the checkout link. I chickened out and am just gonna wait for a 3080.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I mean it's probably too late now but it was in stock for a solid several minutes on the NVidia site.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Taima posted:

The people in the Discord are loving weird. One guy got a 3090 with student loans. Like... ok dude.

The amount of dick sucking for the no name youtube reviewer that is running the discord is unbelievable. I haven't ventured into the dark corners of the internet in over a decade and I have forgotten how gross and stupid it is.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Was last night the first 3080 FE restock on nividia's site since launch?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah you can remove that entire hard drive cage, move your drives to the upper external drive section and should be good.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Rolo posted:

My 3080FE is still in my nvidia cart from yesterday.

Maybe I can use this somehow next time?

Next time they pop try:

https://store.nvidia.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&Locale=en_US&SiteID=nvidia&id=QuickBuyCartPage

To go directly to checkout.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Euphoriaphone posted:

Are third party cards more reliable than FEs, since they have more elaborate cooling setups?

I really don't get the economics of the GPU industry. Why doesn't NVIDIA just sell only their versions of their cards? I would get it if ASUS et al were actually manufacturing chips on their own, but NVIDIA still produces everything except the fans, right?

There are a lot of logistics that NVIDIA would have to manage to be the only producer of their cards. With all of that comes risk that they have in some manner determined is not worth the additional margin they would make on a card compared to just selling chips and designs to partners. I am pretty sure the partners make their own boards too based mostly off of an NVIDIA design but then sometimes with additional power management features, different grade capacitors and other components, etc.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I got an order in for an Asus TUF on Newegg. Using the app on iPad with Apple Pay was definitely the way to go. Now to see if it actually goes thru or gets cancelled.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

real_scud posted:

"Won" the right to buy a 3090 from CCL here in the UK, but it took almost a week to actually get them to take my money and ship me a card.

It came and it is definitely a helluva upgrade in size from my 980ti

But because the 011D-XL is like a tardis and massive inside once it's installed it doesn't actually look insanely out of place

Nice to be able to go back to running absolutely everything completely maxed out on settings.

Are you satisfied with your temps and fan noise with this setup? I’m thinking about moving away from my custom water loop and basically doing exactly what you have here.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
For using the new egg app, you can create a wishlist with the cards you want and when you get a discord ping just open your wishlist instead of following the link. That’s how I got my TUF this week.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
A lot of times coil whine happens when your card is putting out something stupid like 240fps during a load screen or menu where it can just crank out the frames. You can try using a frame limiter if that mirrors what you are seeing.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Fauxtool posted:

surely someone has tried to take advantage of the winter weather to cool their pc. Has there ever been a success that doesnt result in condensation and shorts. Like can you mount your radiator outside your house using some long tubing? Condensation is more about the temp difference than the actual moisture in the air right? So then could you pack your case with desiccant and seal it from outside air coming in assuming the rest is fully watercooled?

The proper way to do this is with anti sweat insulation on your tubes and water blocks. Wrap your tubes in mineral wool and spray your water blocks with spray foam insulation or craft a custom blanket for them. This is how condensation is handled in industrial hvac systems.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Congrats. I really would have thought stock would have improved by now. Feeling really fortunate I was able to get something a couple weeks ago.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
So who make a good PSU with the PCIE-5 power cable?

I have a 750 watt Corsair unit I have been very happy with but its going on 10 years old at this point and is probably a bit undersized for a 4090. As far as I can tell Corsair doesn't have an option and I don't think EVGA does either, which would have been my first two choices.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I have no doubt that 240fps, 4k Slay the Spire is excellent.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Probably not what you meant, but you should be able to get a 2 slot card with an AIO. The Suprim Liquid 4090 is 2 slot and I imagine there will be a 4080 version as well.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
It still surprises me that companies keep making these boards. How many could they possibly sell?

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
This is certainly a problem for Nvidia but if the standard itself ends up being hosed that is wild. I’ve been trying to get a 4090 since I assumed the native connector would be fine but gonna go ahead and hold off for a bit now.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I found DLSS 2 in Cyberpunk to be very good and wouldn’t have been able to run Raytracing without it at a satisfactory frame rate.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Decided to join the 4090 club. This case was once full of water cooling crap and has been pretty empty for awhile but the 4090 has given it purpose again.

Been messing around with The Witcher 3 with frame generation. I was running at ~60-70 fps with it off and ~120 fps with it on. So far it has looked good and hasn't felt weird. I'd like to try it on a twitchier game though.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I'd have gone with a bigger Caselabs case if I could have afforded it at the time. The Mercury S8 was the budget option. It was actually a bit of a struggle when I had it full of hard drives. Thank goodness for M2 drives and no more need for optical drives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
Horizontal motherboard mounting should be standard.