Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How noticeable of a jump is a 980ti over a 970 at 1440p? My old 1080p gaming monitor died, and my 970 just isn't keeping up now that I'm using a 1440p display. I'm planning to get a 1080 once the dust settles a bit, but the idea of getting an EVGA 980ti now and then doing a step-up to a 1080 is pretty tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks, both of you. Trying to decide if the hassle of step-up is balanced out by the short term performance gains, and it's sounding like it probably is.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Missed the 1080sc earlier, so I went ahead and ordered a 980ti sc from Amazon and will do the step-up with it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I ordered a 980Ti yesterday, and because I'm impatient I sprung for the $10 overnight shipping from Amazon. Box just showed up, and they sent a freaking 970 instead. I'm thinking it's a sign, I'll just get a refund on this and wait for a 1080.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've used both SLI and Crossfire in the past, and I'd only ever do it again if I needed more horsepower than the fastest single card available can deliver. I miss the days of my old SLI Voodoo2 12mb cards, when poo poo just worked without (m)any headaches.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

I ordered a 980Ti yesterday, and because I'm impatient I sprung for the $10 overnight shipping from Amazon. Box just showed up, and they sent a freaking 970 instead. I'm thinking it's a sign, I'll just get a refund on this and wait for a 1080.

So literally 30 seconds after I initiated a return on Amazon, and setup some nowinstock.net alerts, I was able to snag one of these ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 AMP Edition.

I've never owned a ZOTAC video card, but I've got an old ION htpc motherboard of theirs that has been solid for years now, so hopefully I'm ok.

Haha nevermind, just got an email that my successful order was canceled due to no stock. Thanks Newegg!!

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 18, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mr E posted:

Just got order confirmation for the MSI 1080 Armor I backordered yesterday from Newegg - looks like backordering might be a pretty good shot for getting a card.

The MSI Gaming X 1080 I backordered yesterday on Newegg is shipping tonight too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

I mean the original owner literally lives with 0.5 mile of me lol. I think I could get away with pretending I am the original owner. Just say you moved or something.

You need a copy of the invoice from an authorized seller, and you need to have registered the warranty on the card within 14 days of original purchase. I don't think you're going to be able to pull this off.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My MSI Gaming X 1080 showed up today, and it is definitely a beast of a card. I wasn't expecting it to be so much bigger than the 970 it's replacing. I've got a 10 year old Lian-Li case, and this is the first card I've owned that forced me to take out the side fan. Fortunately the power connectors had enough room.

Performance so far is amazing as expected. Firestrike Ultra score went from 2624 to 5259. Played about 10 minutes of Witcher 3 at 1440p ultra settings with hair works on, and never saw fraps dip below 60fps.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What kind of overclocks are people hitting on 1080s? Mine seems to be doing fine at 2010 core, not sure how far I want to try and push it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Still tweaking mine, but I hit 18502 on firestrike with a 24000 graphics score on a 1080. Core at +120 and memory at +400

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fletcher posted:

I hit 16,058 (24k graphics score) on Fire Strike with a 1080 & i5 4690K with that same overclock. How are were you able to take it?

Mine was stable up to +150 core +450 memory, with the power limit bumped up to 110. Started getting driver crashes pushing past that. I eased back a little to +130 core and +400 memory, and played several hours of Doom and Witcher 3 without any problems.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's never stupid to buy an x70 series card. Doooooo iiiiiiiit

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

teagone posted:

But if your monitor is only 1080p, surely saving $200 with the 1060 is the more reasonable option... right? I personally think so.

Sure, it's definitely more reasonable. I always like to err on the side of maxing out the bells and whistles though, because I can.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

ItBurns posted:

Am I right in thinking that even a GTX 1080 isn't going to push 144fps on a 1440p monitor in new games in ultra settings? That's what most of the benchmarks seems to suggest and it's tempering my desire to buy a new monitor. On the other hand, I suppose that 80-100fps is still 33-66% more frames than a 60hz monitor with the benefit of g-sync to boot, which seems like a big improvement. Is that a reasonable assessment?

I made the jump to a 1080 and a 1440p 144Hz gsync at the same time. Witcher 3 maxed (no hairworks) averaged around 100fps, Doom maxed was 120s with lots of stuff going on. It was definitely a very noticeable difference switching between the gsync monitor and my 1440p 60Hz monitor.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's pretty hit or miss. I got denied by Amazon after getting the runaround for a while. My order was from Oct 2014, so maybe it's just too old?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

But... it wasn't for me. I am 33 -- ive done this before many, many times. But cool to see my card pushed hard and looking great.

Hey man, I'm 40 and DOOM is my GOTY so far. I think you might just be dead inside.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seamonster posted:

Something something 1070 not overkill for 1080p?...That engine is either broken as hell or we're going to need at least $1500 just to play the drat thing at 1080p.

Those benches are making me glad I sprang for a GSync monitor along with my 1080. Yikes.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Sorry! I know this gets asked a bazillion times, but I'm about to pull the trigger on this card MSI GeForce GTX 1060 DirectX 12 GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G 6GB.

This is a good buy correct? A 1060 6GB, will definitely fill my needs but there is always that one card that suffers from coil whine or loudness, etc. I just want to make sure this is one of the good ones. Also there are so many versions, SC, FTW, GAMING X 6G, OC, OCV1, like WTF.

It should be good, I have the 1080 Gaming X and it is quiet and awesome.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I made that recommendation under duress! A 1060 Gaming X has taken my wife and pets hostage.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I don't think a 1060 would be worth the trouble, I'd go for the 1070.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I think most people aren't really shopping for a monitor at the same time as a video card, unless you are putting together a completely new system. Even then, at least 1/3 of the pc guys I know used an existing tv for display.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's huge, but I really love my Corsair Carbide 600C. It's got really great cable management and cooling.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm the Rapid Packed Math.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

the panacea posted:

I'm currently using a XB271hu and a 1070. I have till the 31st of Jan to send the card back and get a full return.
How stupid would it be to get a 1080.

I wouldn't buy a 1080 now with the 1080ti likely so close.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah I game all the time on a 1440p 144Hz gsync monitor while watching video (streaming and local playback both) on a secondary 1440p 60Hz, and have never had any problems at all. This is with a 1080 card, primary monitor is display port and secondary is dual link dvi.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

CDHiggs posted:

Got my 2016 annual bonus from my company, and I'd really like to get my hands on two 1080TIs. Problem is: I don't have time to camp NewEgg or Amazon, and I know these things are going to sell out in 5 minutes. Here's hoping this launch isn't a complete wreck like the 1080/1070 launch was.

Set up some alerts at nowinstock.net I was able to snag a 1080 pretty easily at launch using that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The black widow version of that was really good, I wish I still had it. I had one and ordered a black panel to replace the window.

Lian li v1000 was another really good case. I still have a g3258 in. It sits next to my thermaltake case, two total opposites on the build quality scale.

I've got a black Lian Li 1200 that I bought in 2005, and it's still a pretty fantastic case. I only stopped using it in my main PC because the Noctua cooler I got wouldn't fit.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Found some pics of my rig from May 2006. Still using that case, in a secondary PC. I just love the way it looks.

Opteron 165 cpu and sli 7800gts

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That card doesn't look chill at all!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

jokes posted:

1080ti wouldn't be limited by a 1440p@144 monitor would it? My 1080 gets ~100 FPS now, and I really feel like the 1080 - 1080Ti difference is just not worth it.

As a fellow 1080 / 1440p@144 owner, I'm planning to hold out for the 1180ti. 4k I might have a different tune.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Everyone should just buy a GSYNC monitor now and embrace the dark side. We all float down here.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

I would legit buy usb thumb drives that look like little video cards though.

Was thinking the same thing. Fan has to spin though.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

MaxxBot posted:

I watched a friend play horizon zero dawn the other day and it's the first time I've ever been impressed with console graphics, pretty impressive what they did with what would be poo poo-tier hardware by PC standards. Too bad they probably aren't gonna port it.

Great game, but the whole time I played I was wishing it was on my PC instead.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, Fox is going to air it out of order, then axe it at the end of the season because ratings reflected that the order it aired in turned it into a sitcom as opposed to something with a story arc?

Why'd you have to go and bum me out on a Friday like that?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

But by and large the real question is whether you want to be on the x70/x80 upgrade cycle or on the x80 Ti upgrade cycle. The chip sizes are basically selected so that the new x70 will be roughly the same performance as the old x80 Ti and the x80 will be slightly faster than the old x80 Ti - so basically it's a choice as to whether you want to be 9-12 months ahead of the performance curve, or you want features/power efficiency/lower pricing.

I went from a 970 to a 1080 at launch, and I'm going to try to hold out for an 1180ti this next cycle. Willpower is hard.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Oh and one more thing, if you're the kind of person who's tempted to be on the "twice-a-generation" upgrade cycle then you're an obvious candidate for the Titan cards. Yes, they are a big up-front expense but they actually hold their value very well.

Oh, in my situation I meant more that I'll have to resist the temptation to upgrade to the 1180 straight away and hold out for the 1180ti. I doubt I'll ever be a Titan buyer.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

eames posted:

also AMD slides have officially hit rock bottom

Is that real?? :cawg:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Feeling really vindicated about my 1080/GSync monitor purchase last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Do they even break even on this poo poo

Judging by the horrible suit and haircut, they certainly can't be making too much money.

edit: Hey, that April Fools prank with the Nvidia G-Assist that everyone thought should be made into a real USB drive? They are actually making them, but only a few thousand to give out at E3.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-gefo...uffer_pcgamerfb

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 10, 2017