Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Swartz posted:

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I don't really give a poo poo that my 970 can only use up to 3.8gb or whatever it is. Close enough to 4gb for me.
The 970 is a great deal for the money and I don't regret buying it.

That being said, NVIDIA should have known about this issue and fixed it before launch, as I can tell others are not happy campers about this.

We don't know if it is actually a problem yet. The story broke Friday afternoon and wasn't instantly obviously cataclysmic and didn't came from a relatively unknown source. Until we have a statement from nvidia (probably Monday sometime) or an analysis from a trusted tech website, also likely on Monday. It's just speculation. If you have one don't return it yet and if you are buying one waiting until Monday to order won't make much difference to the delivery anyway.

And no news from anyone by the end of the week is probably good news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
What would be illuminating would be if nvidia manufactured a 970 to the originally advertised specs and let the tech press benchmark it to show once and for all what the performance difference is.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Darkpriest667 posted:

I've been advocating for Samsung to buy AMD and repurchase the x86 license for 4 years now.

I'd love to see what Intel would do if Nvidia started to produce a x86 processor.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
What do people think of EVGA cards, this one in particular? I'm about to put together a new build and the memory issue with the 970 caused me to hold off, but the step up programme seems appealing, jumping up to a 980 or what ever else nvidia release soon sounds like a good deal. Has anyone used it? Do you think it is worth it?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

wipeout posted:

I only saw the 4GB is 4GB thing. What else did AMD do?

There was at least one cringe worthy short video on YouTube, huge numbers of tweets and a few adverts.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Fajita Fiesta posted:

Why would MSI make their application look like a 14 year old's twitch overlay.

The same reason EVGA have a card marketed as ftw.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

If your card isn't built FTW, how are you supposed to get ahead in the game of pwns?

Could be worse.

At least the others are just marketing terms.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

What is the best single slot (pref nvidia) gpu?

What problem are you trying to solve? Some more information might let us come up with a better solution.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Geirskogul posted:

I know how to compare performance numbers, know how to spec out and budget a PSU, how to manage airflow, and I can assure you that whatever is on the market now is better than what I currently have. My problem is simple: the case I have and love can only accommodate a single slot aircooled card. I'm also in a bad internet area right now, and don't have even the few hours or megabytes of data to cross-shop, and I thought SA is a reasonable place to ask.

There's no specific weird problem I need to solve or elaborate on.

Now that we know that crucial piece of info I would suggest a new case (my pick without knowing what's going in it would be a fractal design define r5) and an Asus or MSI GTX 970. Otherwise you are looking at an underpowered single slot card or a custom watercooled card possibly an evga kingpin with the pcie bracket dremmeled to fit.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Darn, a new Nvidia bundle and I just got mine a couple weeks ago. Ah well, I already have more games than I have time for anyways.

The new bundle is making me seriously consider a second 970 for sli, I need to crunch the numbers vs stepping up to a 980 or possibly a 980ti. There have been hints about something dropping this week from some press.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
I'm considering adding a second 970 for sli and to take advantage of the witcher and batman offer. Is it best if i buy the exact same card to pair? Or would i be better off with a blower style one?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004
Does the cinema display work correctly with another pc? Have you tried a different dvi cable?

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

It was weird the first time I bought an LCD television. It was a large TV I could pretty much one-shoulder. Glad I spent the extra cash for it.

I went with my dad and brother to pick up our new LCD tv I had them keep it aside at the store the previous week. I could have carried it home on the train if i'd realised how small and light it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

This sort of study is a good start: https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/issue-briefs/2016/03/household-expenditures-and-income

Most US households would find a $500 discretionary purchase harder to afford today than 5 years ago, I think you’ll find.

This is true but how many households might not classify a new game console, possibly the main source of media and entertainment for 5 or so years, as discretionary ?