Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Can we talk about non-gpu bits of a videocard here too because I've got a few questions?

• Why do drivers suck so much?

Mainly an AMD thing from my experience with OpenGL loving up for idTech5 and the Windows 8 CP drivers requiring manual registry editing.
    Also heard some horror stories about nVidia drivers too but no first hand knowledge.

• Aftermarket cooling and replacing stock TIM.

Is the thermal goop really that bad and why shouldn't you just replace it with a dot of Arctic Silver?
    How do you pick a good aftermarket cooler apart from searching "Aftermarket cooling MSI 6870" then trawling opinionated blog and forum posts that often contradict each other?

• Muiltiple displays and non-standard resolution.

Are there any problems with running multiple displays at different resolutions and using them for gaming or content creation? Do you still just multiply X*Y then add them together for each screen to get the total number of pixels?
    If so, for 8-10MP total display area would you aim for a single 7970, 680, 670 or is CF/SLI required after 6MP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
^ I've had a problem with two orders from Scan but that was more to do with a lovely delivery company. DPD If I remember correctly.

Regarding the cloud-service based rendering for games. It would be awesome if that worked well enough and was affordable for home networking. I have a feeling if there's no fix for the long distance latency issue in a decade or so that's exactly what will happen.

"Desktop servers" using a later generation of i7 CPU with 100GB+ of ram and a hefty GPU or four could easily run every application on a home network. Smart TV's, tablets and even STB "consoles" could just act as terminals with a few USB ports for peripherals.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I've seen a few reviews of the 3GB 660Ti's compared with an unlabelled 670 that still outperforms them, would it be reasonable to assume this was the more expensive 3GB 670 or a baseline 2GB model?

Someone mentioned that the limited memory bandwidth means that even the 2GB 660's are "wasting" memory so how would that affect the 3GB model?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Went back a few pages and could only find people asking a similar question to mine so I think I'll go ahead and order this Palit GTX670 Jetstream tomorrow if nobody posts a negative response by then. The three reviews I found on the first page of search results claim it's comparible to a stock 680 so it's a decent gamble and UK consumer rights are pretty solid if it's in any way faulty.

Only thing is they claim it can support 3x DVI displays using the included HDMI-DVI adaptor but I thought you had to use an active DsiplayPort converter for more than two DVI/HDMI displays? Aren't they usually on the same circuit?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Turns out a friend of mine bought one a week ago and he says it's pretty good connected to his old 19" monitor, 27" catleap and HDTV. :iiam:

On the downside this is a pretty cheaparse marketing video. How many rolling lensflares can you have from a cgi metal bezel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTbm_xWZh0

Not too worried about lack of further overclocking as long if it performs well and as for the blue LED, unfortunately my case is full of them so it's not like a couple more will make much difference.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 29, 2012

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Agreed posted:

Well, for me it's two things - aesthetically I sort of left the whole CCT and LED thing behind in about 2005, but if you're into it, do your thing, y'know?

More concerning is that spending money on cosmetics is not spending money on functional components. If you look at EVGA's reference and non-reference lineup, it's very much function first, then form - they've got a sleekness to them because they're something of a premium product but they aren't clearly designed to show off. A company that invests in showy stuff and sells a lower priced product does concern me because they've gotta be cutting costs in the first place to sell it at a lower price, it doesn't all come down to brand power - do the blue LEDs mean they decided they could toss out some redundant parts somewhere else that were involved in power delivery to even out the costs there?

Sounds :tinfoil: a bit, I guess, but take into account that major companies have lost standing over bean-counter bullshit like seeing just how little support the VRM stages can get (thus hurting the power delivery and stability of the card) and still function, because every part saved compared to the reference design is less money they have to spend and volume makes it meaningful enough that they paid people to pare it down. That's XFX, in that specific example. I don't really know anything about Palit, but I do know that good custom cooling isn't especially cheap and they've spent some money on LEDs as part of their parts list. I don't find that super encouraging from a brand that's a bit of a question mark in the first place. But it should be fine and as you note, you guys have real consumer protection laws so worst case scenario you deal with the return process and they can't just jack you over. Best case scenario, you can offer us your experiences and help fill in the blank with SA member experiences.

Good points but just for the record I'm not a fan of LED's myself. I had to choose when buying my case between the version I bought with side window and fans stuffed with blue LED's or paying £40 more for a solid side panel and buying 3rd party 120mm case fans. There seems to be a tax on good taste over here.

Also I looked for MSI and EVGA versions first but the UK version of the Borderlands 2 deal is all kinds of hosed up. Each retailer chooses which card models get the bundled game code, Scan is 660Ti's only while Ebuyer seems to be using it to dump their old 570 and 580 stock. That's another £29.99 saving.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
So I've had this Palit GTX 670 Jetstream for a few days now and while there's an obvious improvement over my old AMD 6870 I figured it was time to run a benchmark of some kind.

Unfortunately both Batman AC and BF3 are refusing to run at all so for now here's a quick furmark benchmark while I run drivercleaner, sweeper, and do a clean install if that doesn't fix it.

Dammit what happened to all the old apps that cleaned up residual driver files? Did they all turn to poo poo?

Verizian fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 4, 2012

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
This is why I just ordered a relatively loud and hot EVGA SC 970 on sale. Step Up Program gives me 90 days to switch to a 980, 980TI or the "coming soon" 8GB 970 if GTA V needs more than 3.5GB at 1440p. All of which are probably overkill but what other options are there right now? My old 670 is struggling with a lot of modern games, vram and gpu usage maxed out. If it turns out to be good enough I can switch to a higher clocked model with a quieter cooler for like £20.

Can't go AMD because I got the new Shield tablet for Christmas and it works great for streaming older 720p/1080p games downstairs on the bigscreen TV.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
A friend of mine is considering an AMD card for his next build because he can't afford central heating and his entire family is huddled round a space heater. I thought he was joking and laughed but he was serious.

:ughh:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Aren't the K1 and X1 capable of running x86 code? Nvidia claims it as a new architecture that emulates both ARM and X86 with 15% more performance than similar mobile chips that are locked into one architecture.

Then there's all that talk about bundling like 15 X1's onto a small form factor board and selling them as Grid servers for high efficiency, low cost streaming. Part of the "desktops are dying!" freakout so they want you to buy one powerful box and remote into it with your tablet, phone or a cheap economy PC with a low end nvidia GPU.

Of course the current K1 devices show there are still teething problems, when switching between shield optimized x86 Source engine games and older ARM apps that don't use Material you get some weird graphical corruption until the game is removed from memory. Android 5.0.2 is supposed to fix that and the WiFi bug but it's taking a while.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
  • Do you game at 1080p? Buy a 960.
  • Do you game at 1440p on primarily non-UBIsoft titles? Buy a 970
  • Do you game at higher resolutions or play new UBIsoft titles obsessively? Buy multiple 980's for SLI or wait for new cards to be released. You have a choice of AMD's new space heater range, the 980Ti due in a few months and 8GB versions of the 960 and 970. Though those will likely run into memory bandwidth issues and cost significantly more than the current versions.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I kept reading a while back how HBM1/HBM2 were smaller so they'd be much cheaper than GDDR5 or even DDR3. Is the high cost currently because it's new tech with low supply or will it cost more for the foreseeable future because it's that much harder to manufacture?

As for the 4GB limit on Fury, maybe they're thinking DX12 is just around the corner and people with enough cash for a Fury card will buy a 390X 8GB or something just for memory sharing. At least before games require substantially more than 4GB.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They're late to the party, Anandtech already did all this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/9740/directx-12-geforce-plus-radeon-mgpu-preview

I guess they just wanted to see for themselves. My money is on Nvidia doing that thing like how they killed off people buying cheapo cards purely for physx while primarily running an ATI card for your main graphics. Make it just self-terminate the driver entirely if it detects a discrete AMD card in the system at all.

They do that, MS will pull their DX12 driver certification, same for Khronos and the new openGL. Brand agnostic multi-GPU and vRAM sharing support is a key feature of the next gen API's, break it and you're off spec. Nvidia's response is NVlink to boost connections between multiple Pascal GPU's then have various sites throw around rumours of a 16GB 1080Ti/32GB TitanNext both using 2nd gen HBM2.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Zero VGS posted:

Does this mean I can use a $50 Radeon GPU or APU to drive a FreeSync monitor with a 980ti to actually crunch the shiny?

Already been answered but yes, you could even use a future intel iGPU as they have plans to support Freesync and as of Skylake the iGPU is fully DX12 compatible. Not sure if Skylake supports freesync though?

Going back to the Stardock video there's been a few inaccuracies pointed out already but the Stardock guys in it seemed to be claiming they hadn't specifically optimised for the feature when they said they were surprised it worked as well as it did, jumping from ~30fps to just below 60fps. Does that mean that a DX12 title will be able to gain some benefit from this just by using the new API but with actual optimisation there could be even bigger gains than practically doubling your FPS?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Is Pascal still on track for mid 2016? I'm expecting a big chunk of cash around New Years time for a combined gaming/streaming/Audio/Video production rig. Would it be a smart move to grab a 980ti and expect to resell it when the 1080ti or equivalent is released?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How are resale values on high end gpu's when the new model comes out? Friend of mine sold his old Titan Z and bought a Titan X with enough £££ leftover for his wife's system to get a 980ti. Is he correct in proclaiming that the *80ti's and titan's historically hold their value over a couple of years as long as you buy a well known brand like MSI or ASUS because someone, somewhere, will want to SLI it or replace a dead card when they gently caress up overclocking. I tried to point out the Z has full fp64 for why it's used price has actually increased but he shrugged that off as no use for gaming.

I sort of asked this before as part of another question but didn't see this part answered.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All the rumour sites I've seen pointed at GP100 using HBM2 with 16GB baseline prosumer Titan and/or Ti flagship cards in Q2 and a 32GB Quadro/Tesla monster for fuckloads of cash later in the year when HBM2 supply is more stable. GP104 is the GDDR5x compatible chip for everything below Ti.

Is there any reason they couldn't just use two or three of the 4GB HBM2 modules on an intro GP100 card? Do they have to go with 4x4GB OR 8x4GB as kitguru and the rest are all claiming?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Built a new rig and stuck my old 970 in it for now. Went looking on ebay for a cheap replacement card for my old rig when all of a sudden I stumbled onto this beauty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Palit-970-gtx-/252234010620?hash=item3aba518ffc:g:W1wAAOSwv-NWZu8r

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
i5 2500k's can regularly hit 5Ghz with water cooling. I had mine on 4.5Ghz with an EVO 212 and I could have gone higher but I needed to repaste the TIM and I just bought a new 6700k rig.

Christ at $800 for the Rift. there were tweets months back that the Vive would be "priced at a premium over the Rift, somewhere between $550 and $750 USD".

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not sure where this is coming from? Last I heard little Pascal is what will hit the market first because big Pascal is going to get gobbled up in the HPC sector for some time as Teslas and Quadros. Nvidia has a commanding position in the consumer sector, they can stand to potentially lose a few sales there to make sure AMD doesn't edge them out in HPC, as well as let supply reach the point that prices for Big Pascal become competitive. If they try to do both they'll end up in a reverse 980ti: Fury X situation where the new Fury might offer similar or better performance at a lower price point while Nvidia tries to provide for both markets. To do what you say would require immensely good yields on GP100.

IMHO, everything points to either Nvidia releasing second and later, but more will be clarified in April.

The WCCFTech rumour back in October was that we'd get the 1080ti in April along with a professional card that would have a max 16GB HBM2. Then in Q3 there would be the low end GDDR5x cards and a new Titan with yet another pro card that could have up to 32GB HBM2. Their reasoning was the expected shortage of HBM2 and nvidia rushing to get a VR Max settings card out before the Oculus Rift. It would also allow them to counter any move AMD made between April-October.

Turns out the chips they claimed were GP100 with a fake Maxwell code on the shipping container were probably 960Ti mobile gpu's for laptops due in April aiming for minimum settings VR. Nobody has reported seeing any sign of Pascal chips being ready for Q2 so far, which sucks.

Except for my friend who claims he bought $800 worth of AMD shares right before the Polaris rumours and Samsung deal were announced.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Bunch of places repeating the same rumours now. Techfrag, OC3D and the like all claiming Pascal GP100 Titan will be announced for order at GTC in April with very limited supplies and enough expensive HBM2 to weight it more towards pro than prosumer. GP100 1080Ti will be later in the year once stockpiles are big enough to ensure supplies but it's still going to be loving expensive.

GP104 based GTX 1080 and 1070 will be out after Computex in June, around the same time Polaris launches using GDDR5x with gaming performance significantly higher than 980Ti or TitanX but presumably less memory.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
EVGA has six varieties of the 710.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuN3mj5pYvg

quote:

EVGA GeForce GT 710 lineup

2GB Memory:

02G-P3-2717-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Single Slot, Dual DVI)
02G-P3-2713-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Single Slot, Low Profile)
02G-P3-2712-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 2GB (Dual Slot, Low Profile, Passive)

1GB Memory:

01G-P3-2716-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Single Slot, Dual DVI)
01G-P3-2711-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Single Slot, Low Profile)
01G-P3-2710-KR = EVGA GeForce GT 710 1GB (Dual Slot, Low Profile, Passive)

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
If the 1070 comes out in June for a similar price to the 970 then I doubt it's worth it. You could even save up and maybe snag a 1080 instead.

As for the EVGA SC970 it's not a bad card but above 150fps mine develops coil whine. Core overclock goes well but memory overclocks crash my video drivers. If you're gonna get an EVGA go for the SSC model at least.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
How old is the PSU? If it's no longer in warranty get an 80+ gold cert model with modular cables, and enough wattage from a quality manufacturer. They're not expensive compared to a 980 let alone a ti.

Just watch out for budget models that may catch fire or refuse to post because the "manufacturer" rebadged a no name brand or something. The PC parts picking thread will have more advice.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Anyone know what could cause this?

During the benchmark Afterburner says GPU and CPU usage were both around 100%, GPU power around 50%, all temps were fine.

Software issue? I had the test crash my geforce drivers twice before finally getting this result.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

xthetenth posted:

Maybe. I'm not really expecting Big Polaris/Pascal off the bat but I am kind of expecting the next from the top chip to come out and be really solid for a lot less. If you get out now you're sure to get the money at their current value and not get slammed by the cards depreciating when the new hotness comes out. If that makes enough sense to be worth going down to a 970 for three or so months, then I'd say do it. If not, keep rocking the things.

All the rumours point to 1080Ti or a new Titan as paper launch in April for insane prices then nothing until June at least when GP104 should be ready. Even if they get GP100 out the door before June, stock is going to be hammered and 2x 980TI's sold now might just pay for a single 1080TI. I hope that's pessimism talking but it could be worse.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Michymech posted:

Its looking like i can flip both of then with water blocks for 925 each AUD which almost 2k for a 1080ti seems rediculus unless amds big hitter is a wet noodle again

It's possible though hopefully not likely. An air cooled 980TI over here is £500-£700 which is around $1000 AUD. Seen people suggesting the 32GB HBM2 Titan could hit £3000 and £1500/AUD$2870 for a 16GB HBM2 1080 TI / £950 for a 8GB HBM2 1070 TI at a much later date. That's assuming we get a GP100 product in April with nvidia rationing their HBM2 into big expensive lumps while AMD fails to compete. Basically worst case scenario for consumers. AMD releasing another re-badged dog turd by June at the latest would probably cut a big chunk off those prices even so.

I was optimistic last year hoping for a £500 1080TI and £500 Vive, now I'm adjusting my expectations in the hopes of a less painful gut check to the wallet.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Dodgy driver release could account for that. I don't normally pay close enough attention to benchmarks beyond skimming graphs to check if they even mention driver versions?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
All the guides I've read suggest 720p60Hz is the sweet spot for streaming otherwise you're going to have the vast majority of people choosing the highest quality option and whining because their 1.5mbit copper dsl line chokes at 4k. More of a problem on Twitch due to the report button causing headaches for the few streams I watch regular when they enable 1080p/60.

OBS can easily scale down ultra wide 3440*1440 to 1720*720 and works great with youtube streaming. Just make sure to turn off any blur effects that cause glitches with youtube compression, Nothing worse than an otherwise quality stream turning into a smeared mess of Vaseline on a warped lens. Run a test stream before you go live and have someone try to watch it over a mobile connection if you want to ensure the maximum possible viewers have a quality experience.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I take it if you wanted to record at high resolution for later YouTube uploads and live stream at 720p30 over hitbox/twitch you can use dxtory>OBS for that?

Assuming upload bandwidth isn't a problem is there a non-buggy way to stream to multiple sites at once?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Blackfyre posted:

Update on coil whine 980ti. Contacted the PC company that built it and they said I could send it back, so dropped it in and left with them to test (It was a reference (I think) Zotac card. They tested it and said we couldn't notice anything using Valley Benchmark - I said I noticed it in WoW and 3D Mark (Wow for some reason seemed to be the worst).

They went off to try 3D mark and a day or so later the ticket was updated to say fault confirmed and they sent me a grand new Gigabyte Windforce etc 980Ti. Cracked that open and popped it in last night.... to hear exactly the same noises in games.

Now its not exactly *that* bad (not sure I could record it well enough with my phone) but I'm starting to wonder if I'm just being a fussy baby or if its something else. PSU is a Corsair RM750 so that should be ok, and the noise only happens when 3d things are running like games. Can't decide whether to bother them again or just swallow it for now. Its likely I'll get a pascal next year and part of me is wondering if all these high end GPUs just have this now.

I may just be noticing it as this PCs fans are probably much quieter than my old one.

Cap your fps. My 970 whines horrendously on loading screens when it hits 300fps or higher and at 2000fps it sounds like it might explode. 60-240 in actual games it's quiet as a mouse so I cap at 60fps, my monitor's refresh rate.

Wow is an old game so it easily hits higher framerates.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

SlayVus posted:

The face rest leaves something to be desired in the way of hygiene. None of them are pleather or leather.

I saw somewhere that the Vive will ship with two different face rests and you'll be able to order replacements at a "disposable price point". Would allow for VR cafes, rentals and Derren Brown's Ghost Train VR ride at Thorpe park. https://www.thorpepark.com/rides/derren-browns-ghost-train/

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I can see those claims working if every game publisher moves to a closed appstore method of distribution and locked down files, forcing people to rebuy old games in a proprietary package format every few years to keep them compatible with the current hardware.

Which would be hilarious to see when everything he says relies on Vulkan being the dominant API.

There are other problems with it but that's the obvious one, a master plan to steer the entire gaming industry isn't an A to B path. It's a tangled mess of uncertainty and speculating the future that reeks of fanboy language.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

K8.0 posted:

But again, VR right now is a great experience for like four hours and then... there's nothing. You can probably get those four great hours of experience a lot cheaper than 1500 bucks. The games just aren't there for the hardware yet. That, and this early VR hardware is still not that great and VR is still a gimmick.

There's more VR games due out over time and 1440p ultrawide is a thing also. If you don't need either of those then enjoy a 1070 or firesale 9x0 for flawless 1080p 144hz with everything cranked up for the foreseeable future. Even if you don't have them now like me, it's good they're launching those cards now because by the time I've saved for a Vive or 34" 120Hz display then AMD might be putting up enough competition for the 1080 to drop in price.

Also there are several early access voxel sandbox titles that are hitting the limits of 4GB vram and 16GB system ram when you max out everything or run an infinitely scaling, random gen, world for multiplayer.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I thought even the 1070 would be good enough for current VR with the 90fps floor. The few 1080 benchmarks out for it seem more than promising so why would waiting on the 1080ti be required?

Was confused by this:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you want to do VR or use three monitors in games: Yes. Otherwise: No.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 18, 2016

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
As lazy and potentially deceptive as that is, it's 980 vs 1080 and 970 vs 1070. If they have a similar performance gap within 5% then the graph is roughly accurate.

I'd have thought the 1070 would have been a bigger improvement over the 970 though so the graph is a disappointment.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Hamelekim posted:

Isn't AMD making the CPU/GPU for all the new consoles? That's not an insignificant amount of money and business if you think about it.

Wasn't their deal for the current consoles selling chips nearly at cost?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There was that story doing the rounds last year where an AMD exec claimed that their drivers were only allowing the cards to use 3% of their total potential in the worst possible cases. Probably talking about any number of DX11 titles that use gameworks.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Some people get motion sickness sitting in a car. Most can just stare at the inside of the car to counter that and your stomach finally learns what's up after a while.

VR FPS games will require a solid HUD system to compensate, hoverjunkers is a good example as you can focus on your hover vehicle to avoid motion sickness.

A 3D helmet or goggles overlay can work too but may still cause violent nausea for a large group of people. Once hardware catches up and 8k 180fps HMD's are possible it'll be less common but making that light enough to wear is gonna be a problem even once we get gpu's and screens capable of that kind of performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Any more details on 1080 AIB's yet or is the 17th the magic date for decent benchmark comparisons?

On paper the iChill x4/x3 look to be the best value/performance below £600 but I can't find any actual details beyond spec sheets. Also are triple fan coolers typically quieter than dual fans?