Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just had blocks like this start jumping around on the screen, plus grey triangles extending from the center of the screen out to the edges flickering while playing Fallout New Vegas. Does it look like my graphics card is going bad? It's a ~3 year old Radeon HD 5770 and has been overclocked by about 10% using the AMD Overdrive utility. If it is going, can underclocking it and turning down graphics settings prolong its life for at least another few weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Haha, I know how buggy New Vegas is, that's why I was asking. KSP and Minecraft seemed OK even though the card sounds like a jet taking off on all 3. I underclocked it by about 10% and ran the FurMark burn-in test for 10 minutes keeping it at 99°C and there were no problems, and I played another hour of Fallout with the settings turned down a few notches without problems. I'm crossing my fingers that it was just a one-time glitch or a problem with the replacement textures I have installed, but one of my friends gave me his old GTX 260 in case my card dies.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah, you might take a look and see if you need to take a can of duster to it and/or redo the paste. Duster and paste are both really cheap so you're not out much and you might keep the thing alive longer.
I thought I had cleaned it sufficiently with a few blasts of air from one side and the vacuum up to the exhaust a few months ago, but I popped it apart to redo the thermal paste and :psypop:

The aluminum fins on the heatsink were so clogged with dust that I had to go at them from both sides 3 or 4 times just to get the dust bunnies out and I went through half a can of air cleaning the whole thing. The thermal paste was pitted and brittle, I'm not sure what the stuff looks like when it overheats but I'll bet that's what happened. I was getting 12fps at 99°C on the FurMark burn-in test before, I'm getting 19fps@69°C now.

I'm going to be a lot more proactive about cleaning my computer now and at least check the heat sink I can't see into with a small mirror next time.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

If the newest game I'm playing is Fallout 4 at 1080p, a GTX 1060 6GB should be fine, right?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PC is an ASrock B550 Pro, Ryzen 5 3600 with 16GB of RAM.

I have an RX 5700 XT and everything seems fine except for junction temperature, which tends to spike to 110° and cause a crash to desktop maybe 20% of the time and a hard restart the other 80%

I made sure fans and heat sinks are clean, and the card's fans and my case fans are keeping everything else to a max of 90° with the occasional spike to 96. It's done it with Detroit: Become Human, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided , Control (I know it's really resource intensive), and Ghost Recon: Wildlands. I'm running one monitor at 2160p30 and one at 1080p60m plus whatever model the original Oculus Rift is. It's happened across the past 5 or 6 driver updates, so I don't think that's the issue. Any ideas?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

This is the case I have.
https://www.newegg.com/black-corsair-275r-airflow-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811139147

I'm going to run Ghost Recon for a while and take a screenshot of what other temps are to make sure I'm remembering right, I'm not really familiar with what proper temperatures are and I could be remembering wrong.

To clarify, 90C is when I'm running games, this is where I'm at with just a browser and background apps (1Password, Razer Synapse, 3DConnexion driver/software, Steam, ExpressVPN, qBittorrent, Greenshot). Does that seem normal or is it far off enough that I should just cut my losses, backup everything, and start from scratch?

edit: I popped open the case to double check and everything looks normal. I vacuumed it since there was a small amount of visible dust on fans, but that was all. Room temperature is 23C

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 15, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just kept it to the case fans and filters, not the electronics.

I quickly grabbed a few screenshots while playing Control and trying to get as much poo poo on screen as possible. I was definitely remembering wrong about other temperatures. The only thing more frustrating than trying to figure this out is the fact that I can't reliably reproduce it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The other potential cause is a bad mount on your GPU cooler. Fixing this would require taking your graphics card apart and re-applying thermal paste, if that's something you'd be comfortable with.
I've been trying to reproduce the problem and of course it won't do it on demand. The bad mount is kind of what I was thinking, there's been a big gap between temperature and junction temperature as long as I've been having this issue. I'm out of thermal paste, is Arctic Silver still the go-to or should I go with a different brand or thermal pads instead?

Comedy option: just strip the fans and panels off of the case and put in in a 40 gallon fish tank of mineral oil.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is the current high-end thermal paste of choice among enthusiasts. It's popular to the point where finding a legitimate source for it that's guaranteed not to be cheap counterfeit poo poo is a bit of an issue. If someone knows a source for it that is known to be reliable (and not just "I bought it and it was fine:") then I'd recommend that. Else, Noctua's NT-H2 is pretty good as well: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NT-H2-Thermal-Cleaning-Performance/dp/B07MZ45X9G/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&qid=1634274756&sr=8-12
I'll go with the NT-HWand see how it goes; I'm wary of counterfeits after the debacle of trying to get authentic iPhone and iPad chargers any way other than getting petty cash and walking to the local Apple store ( they moved to a new mall 10 miles away and it's just not worth the effort compared to buying Anker chargers). Worst case, I ask for a refund on a defective Amazon product and go through Newegg customer service about a problem that started while it was under warranty and see if they'll cut me some slack since I've been a customer for almost 20 years and I've only needed to talk to customer service once before (BGA protector on a previous motherboard got jostled loose in shipping and damaged a bunch of pins, which wasn't even their fault).

Thanks a lot for walking me through this, I'm really unfamiliar with much of anything other than the work side of things where I spend 15 minutes with a Dell support rep and the next day we hang out with one of two techs from our immediate area while they fix whatever isn't working.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I'm not an expert by any means but that idle temp of >60 degrees seem crazy high. Maybe by EVGA 1080 just is different, but it usually idles at like 35-40 degrees. What does your idle CPU temp look like? Are your case fans exhausting properly?
~13 years on the A/V side of the IT industry where thermal management is mostly done outside of individual pieces of equipment have left me knowing gently caress all about what's normal for a desktop that does much more than sit in an office, that's why I'm asking here. This is what Open Hardware Monitor says it's doing. It's on a hard floor with at least 50cm clearance all around.