Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

My 5850 ran Ground Zeroes at 1440p high settings. That engine is insanely optimized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Should have waited for the Ford Focus RS.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

It's the 980ti of the current gen of boy racers.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

so when it the 1080ti? haha. gently caress this card sounds insane.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Tom and I didn't rehearse this.

No poo poo haha.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I've had my 980ti since August. It was a good run. Can I EVGA step up or do I have to wait for the 1080ti?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Step-Up is a 3-month window after purchase, so, no.

Oh loving hell I thought step up was a discounted upgrade. Womp womp!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Dammit why did I go looking. IS $526 a Really good price for a 1080Ti to replace a 980Ti? Or do you guys think the price of 1080Ti's will drop even further?

I could/should wait.... But drat that price looks really good for a rather ok 1080Ti and it's not like I plan to go above 1440P Ultrawide anytime soon. VR over anything is what is going to stress my GPU usage.

Just from looking at ebay you can sell a 980ti for around 225~ it seems like an ok prospect if the 1080 is new or not mining used

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I forget does nvdia release ti's at new gen launch or do they release them 6 months later? I want to make a new build and have been telling myself to wait for 3080ti to drop.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

those poor fortnite devs

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

triple double baby

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

triangles mentioned!!!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

same price!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy poo poo

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

holy poo poo that's insanely big

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

how are there no 3090 benchmarks? sus

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

spunkshui posted:

I do expect them to sell out by noon.

sweet summer child.

These things are going to sell out within an 15 minutes.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm on a 980ti and if I can't get one of these cards before the end of the year I'm just going to wait for the TI or Super gen.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i was playing spelunky 2 to kill time and completely missed the window at 9:03. that was sure some launch lol.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh and if you want to just order and get it whenever

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=3080

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

wow. sorry if i got anyone's hopes up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i finally got to see a 3080 in stock and it was for 1299 on amazon. gently caress me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I just woke up and ordered one too but apparently this has been up forever.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what the poo poo i got an email and made a purchase via the EVGA queue. I signed up for every card on like the 7th of this month. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth but seems odd.

edit: nvm checked mynotifies and i signed up for the xc3 ultra on 9/16 at 11:38 am

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 21, 2020

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

do we think an evga 650W Platinum rated psu will be ok in holdover? i'm planning on making a new build and don't want to cable swap twice.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

This is both the best and worst time to build a new gaming PC.

yeah i have a 6700k and i'm just thinking maybe i'll wait for new sockets and ddr5. doesn't seem worthwhile to upgrade now especially with announced zen3 pricing.

also just realized i have a reason to replay death stranding and i'm hype!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

When did the demand for high-res/high-refresh take off? I feel like it came up relatively quickly in the last couple of years, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

i think fps gamers have always been banging on about it. i definitely recall it being mentioned as a negative in monitor reviews around 2015.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

guess who’s dumbass misplaced or got rid of the extra psu cables they had? And also has a 3080 sitting lonely as gently caress in front of him?

loving hell. Guess I’m getting a new PSU.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

finally got come cables. coming from a 980ti the 3080 is amazing. i can finally play games on my 4K monitor at native res. And actually get high framerates on the 1440p monitor I bought my wife at the start of the pandemic. I didn’t try VR out because I only use VR in racing games and I didn’t feel like setting up my wheel for only a quick test.

I was a little disappointed though I wanted to see what RTX was about so I turned on fortnite and cranked everything since this was while plugged into the 1440p monitor and I was only getting 60~ FPS. Could be my 6700k though since I didn’t hear the card at all.

Also really annoyed I have to buy Minecraft for windows(for 30 bucks! More than the original game.) if I want to try RTX. When did they decide to stop updating the Java version?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Truga posted:

they haven't and java is still the superior version. base java version doesn't support RTX, but also it's minecraft there's probably a mod for it
e: never mind looks like it's still in development

oh that's good to know!

B-Mac posted:

If you haven’t played them yet Metro Exodus is a good example of ray tracing with their global illumination and Control uses ray traced reflections really well. I think they are the two best example of RTX right, Control also uses DLSS 2.0 which looks good and increases performance by quite a bit.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll probably check out Control.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

what are y'all using to monitor cpu and gpu usage in games? i have never heard my 3080's fans and I'm having to run Control under max settings to hit 4k 60. Just want to know if my i7 6700k is bottlenecking me.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

had a weird crash saturday night. pc would turn on but no display. start freaking out about using a 650w psu with the 3080. Switch back to 980ti still no display. Oh must be the PSU but let's test a stick of ram and no gpu just in case. no display. go buy new 750w psu next morning. no display. "mobo must be dead grumble grumble" BUT let's test all the RAM individually. 1 bad stick.

test all failures thoroughly kids.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

my wife has started gaming on my pc pretty regularly and now wants her own. is it better for my sanity to buy one of those alienware's or should i head back to the salt mines and try to get a 3080 or 3090(that will go in my pc and she will get my 3080)? i got her an hp reverb g2 for her birthday and the 3080 inside my old 2016 build has struggled at times(mostly steam vr home) so i can't just give her my old 980ti.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

her group has run through phasmaphobia and the forest in VR. i think they're playing red dead 2 online right now. they play a good amount of dead by daylight. not sure what else but the vr is the main driver in getting a newer card.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Death On Toast posted:

GT 210 Step-Up trip report: got in line for a 3090 on April 27th. I figured the 3080 was so backed up that I needn't bother, as I'd just be switching to the 3080 TI anyway (assuming it actually launches close to the rumored dates, which is looking more and more likely). I just got my Step 2 e-mail that says my queue time is up, they're reviewing my invoice, and I should be offered the chance to purchase Soon(TM).

I am now deeply conflicted whether this bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

I ordered a 210 because of this. hopefully I get it while this is still going on.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So EVGA is not showing the GT 210 I ordered from Adorama as eligible for step up. Did something change or did I somehow order the wrong card?

Part Number is 01G-P3-1312-LR

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

welp don't order gpus in bed on ambien. not sure how I managed to gently caress that up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’d you do?

I guess I clicked the link in the thread, saw that the KR 210 was on backorder, and then ordered the in stock LR 210. Never once wondering why the LR would be in stock.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

SourKraut posted:

I think it’s slowed down some, because I started step-up with my 210 on May 13 and I’m still on step 1.

Woof and here I was starting to put a system together for my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

any reason EVGA is giving full capacity messages??

Edit:

Do you register a card backordered from adorama on the day it was charged to you or the day you backordered it?

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 28, 2021